My prediction - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-29-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute
Default My prediction

Wednesday (2nd round):
Center court:
Coria over Lopez 6-4 6-2
Blake over Schuettler 7-6 4-6 6-4!
Federer over Ascione 6-7 6-2 6-3
Santoro over Novak 7-6 6-3
Grosjean over Henman 6-3 6-7 6-4
Phillippoussis over Kuerten 3-6 6-3 6-4
Court 1:
Pavel over Mantilla 6-4 6-3
Nalbandian over Bjorkman 4-6 6-3 7-5
Carraz over Schalken 7-6 6-4
Hrbaty over Verkerk 6-3 6-2

In the biggest upset of the 2nd round, 5th seed Schuettler was ousted by Blake.
4 other seeds also went out - Novak, Mantilla, Schalken and Verkerk.
All 3 contenders for the 8th place - Nalbandian, Grosjean and Philippossis - needed 3 sets to go through, as well as Federer.

Thursday (3rd round):
Center court:
Coria over Pavel 7-6 6-3
Federer over Hrbaty 6-3 6-4
Roddick over Robredo 7-5 6-4
Nalbandian over Carraz 6-4 6-2
Ferrero over Santoro 6-3 4-6 7-6
Grosjean over Philippoussis 7-6 6-7 6-4
Court 1:
Massu over Blake 3-6 6-4 6-4
Srichaphan over Arazi 6-4 6-3

The 2 last matches on center court fullfilled all the organizers expectations. Santoro battled with Ferrero until a 3rd set tie break, which the top seed finally won 9-7 after saving match point at 5-6.
Grosjean missed 2 match points at 5-4 in the 2nd set and 2 more on the tie break at 6-5 and 8-7, before losing it 8-10. He finally won the battle between the 2 candidates for Houston on his 6th match point in the 3rd set.
Eventually, the favourites all won, and 7 of the top 8 seeds went through to the quarter final.

Friday (quarterfinal):
Center court:
Coria beat Massu 7-5 6-3
Ferrero beat Srichaphan 6-4 6-4
Roddick beat Nalbandian 7-6 7-5
Grosjean beat Federer 4-6 7-6 7-5

Grosjean was given the center stage again and didn't dissapoint anyone... except Nalbandian, who now should hope the Frenchman fails to win the tournament in order to qualify to Houston.
First, Coria continued his steady progress with another straight-sets win over Massu, then Ferrero eliminated Srichaphan from the race to Houston, and Roddick avenged his loss to Nalbandian in Basel and stopped him one match short of securing his 8th place.
Federer looked set to complete a semifinal of the top 4 seeds after he won the 1st set and served for the match at 5-4 in the 2nd set... but on the brink of defeat and elimination from the Masters Cup Grosjean managed to break back and take the set to a tie break. Then he came back from 2-5 deficit to win the TB 8-6 and take the match to 3rd set.
The drama wasn't over yet... at 4-3 Grosjean saved no less than 4 break points and eventually held his serve... then he saved 2 MP at 4-5 and levelled to 5-5. He broke Federer's serve at the 2nd attempt to lead 6-5. Serving for the match, he recovered from 0-30 and saved break point at 30-40, and missed 2 match points before finally clinching victory.

Saturday (semifinal):
Ferrero beat Coria 6-4 7-5
Grosjean beat Roddick 7-6 6-3

Compared to previous days, this was a quiet one...
Ferrero needed one break to win the 1st set. He was briefly in trouble when Coria broke his serve to lead 3-2 in the 2nd set, but immediately broke back and as in the 1st set broke again in the last game of the set.
Roddick, who served 1st in the 1st set, wasted 2 break points at 3-2, while Grosjean missed a break point at 4-4... eventually the set went to a tie break... Grosjean went 5-2 up and won the TB 7-4.
In the 2nd set, he broke Roddick's serve in the 6th game to lead 4-2, and saved 2 break points in the next game which he held to lead 5-2.
He had no trouble to win his 1st match point on his next serve.

Final (Sunday):
To keep you suspended I won't reveal the result until the end... if you think Grosjean's match against Federer was dramatic, wait for this...
But first let's set the stage... Grosjean, after beating the 3rd and 2nd seeds, now needs to beat the #1 to get to the MC... Ferrero can take a lead of 59 pts over Roddick to Houston if he wins, which means he'll guaranty the year-end #1 spot if he reaches the final there... if he loses, his lead will be only 29 pts...
The crowd, of course, is 99% for Grosjean...
Grosjean served first in the 1st set... he struggled in the 7th game and needed to save 2 BP before holding his serve... in the 10th he had a set point but Ferrero saved it, and the set went break-less to a tie-break...
Grosjean dominated it all the way, took a 4-1 lead and won the TB 7-4 on his 2nd SP...
In the 2nd set Grosjean had 2 BP in the 5th but Ferrero saved them and held... the set continued break-less until Ferrero converted his 3rd BP in the 8th game, and held his serve to win 6-3 and take the match to 3 sets...
Grosjean broke for the first time in the 2nd game and led 3-0. He had a BP to lead 5-1 but Ferrero saved it and held. Then Grosjean saved 3 BP in the 7th and held to lead 5-2. 3 "match-games" for the title and trip to Houston... but Ferrero didn't give up... he held his serve to 5-3... Grosjean serves for the match and lead 30-0, but Ferrero levels, and after 2 BP he converts and narrows to 5-4, and then levels to 5-5 on his serve... Grosjean holds his serve at last to lead 6-5, and in the 12th game he got a MP, but Ferrero saved and held the game to force a tie-break...
Grosjean takes the lead in the TB 4-2, and at 5-3 he serves for 3MPs... but he loses the crucial point, and Ferrero wins the next 2 points on his serve to get a MP at 6-5... Grosjean saves and takes another MP at 7-6... Ferrero saves the 2nd MP, then takes his 2nd MP at 8-7... Grosjean saves it, but loses the next point for a 3rd MP to Ferrero, this time on his serve... and he gets it and wins 10-8 in the TB, and leaves Grosjean and the crowd stunned... and as Ferrero celebrates his victory, there is a wild celebration at Nalbandian's hotel room...

Last edited by nitsansh : 10-29-2003 at 02:14 AM.
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My prediction

Wow.... you spent a lot of time thinking about all that!
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

You claiming clairvoyancy?

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )

Last edited by 1jackson2001 : 10-29-2003 at 01:36 AM.
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 AM   #4
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, your predictions are wrong.
Those scores are too close for comfort, schizophrenic players in Paris!
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #5
rogicomel

rogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond repute

nitsansh, will you write the story over after today's matches completed?

ROGI BOLEH!!!!!!!!!
rogicomel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: My prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogicomel
sorta has to considering Nalbandian pulled out. And Coria-Lopez took 3 sets
Old 10-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
country flag Yashirobai

Yashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond repute

I'd would be great that you were right... but first of all, Nalbandian withdrew.
Yashirobai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Terrific imagination employed here, but one little flaw in your dramatic final: Paris is best of 5, so it would have to go on a lot longer to get that dramatic final-set tiebreak. Also, I'd like to think that Federer isn't a big enough choker to miss THAT many chances even against Grosjean - who I doubt would have the stomach to fight back from such a deficit or recover from missing matchpoints against Philippoussis (just look at his match with Moya last year as the perfect example). Having said that, the choke in the final sounds about right...

You know, these are the sort of matches we should get, but I suspect the reality will be a touch more mundane. And hopefully with a different result - back to back indoor Masters for Ferrero? Eek, no thanks.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.

oops wrong thread lmao

Anyway... it's ok sjengster, most of the predictions, while admirable and clearly took a lot of thought, haven't really come true
Old 10-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #10
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogicomel
Probably... some modifications would have to be made in the 3rd round, but so far all the main characters are alive (but that would change if Grosjean lose to Henman in the match in progress now).
The best-of-3-sets final will of course have to be re-written as best-of-5... that was an oversight on mine...
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:36 AM   #11
rogicomel

rogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to read a different version of thriller now...

ROGI BOLEH!!!!!!!!!
rogicomel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #12
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

And it's gonna have to be edited again...and again.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
WyverN

WyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond repute

You definetly need to update, grosjean is out!
WyverN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #14
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Ferrero, and Coria. But all's not lost - Roddick is still in!!!!

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #15
country flag Deboogle!.

LOL