News & Articles Part 1 - Yeti Premonitions - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #46
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still sad, but seeing that sexy pic of the interview him, makes me feel a liitle bit better.

Get well soon Marat

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #47
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

Injuries force Safin out of Australian Open

By Sandra Harwitt
tennisreporters.net

RUSSIAN WAS ONE OF THE FAVORITES

From the time Marat Safin arrived in Australia, he made it know that he thinks the tennis season is way too long and the end-of-season vacation is way too short. For the '00 US Open champ, last year's season was longer than for most as he worked overtime, leading Russia to its first ever Davis Cup victory at the end of November.

Safin, a highly talented player sometimes accused of not always being focused on his tennis, said he wasn't ready for action this early in January. On Saturday, Safin finally decided to stop trying to play and walked away from playing a third round match, giving Ranier Schuettler of Germany a free pass into the fourth round of the Australian Open.

"My wrist is bothering me and I decided not to play," said Safin, a finalist in Melbourne last year. "In the first match, I fall down, and then I hit the backhand a little bit too late, and I felt some pain here. Afterwards, for the second match, they put me injection, so I didn't feel in the second match. Afterwards, at night, I had my wrist really big. Just I couldn't move it. So no reason to play."
Safin said he was advised by the doctor not to play and offered a very reasonable explanation for not trying to go forward, saying, "The year is just beginning. (This is) just one tournament, why would I destroy all my season? I prefer to stop now, even if it's a Grand Slam. Still the health is more important than the rest of the things."

When Safin arrived in Australia, he had no complaints about his wrist, but he was forced to pull out of the Sydney event the week before the Open with a shoulder injury and was taking anti-inflammatory medication. During his first two matches in Melbourne, he was taking painkillers to ease the pain from the shoulder.

SECOND YEAR OF FRUSTRATION
For Safin, the early exit from the Australian Open has to be frustrating, especially after his failure to take the trophy at last year's tournament. Safin, who has long been touted as a given to be a multiple Grand Slam champion, was considered a shoo-in to defeat Thomas Johansson in last year's final. But as has happened to him in the past, Safin fell apart in that match, lost his way and failed to live up to his potential.

At the beginning of the Open, when asked about his hopes for this year in perspective to his disappointment 12 months ago in Melbourne, Safin sized up the situation clearly.

"Last year is history already – it was one year ago," he said. "This is another chance, another year, another tournament. I would like to do the same thing. It's difficult because it's another year. You are not playing the same tennis. The other people are not playing the same tennis. The situation is difficult. But I think I still have a great potential to do well here, and we'll see if I will be able to make it."
Now Safin knows he won't make it this year and needs to look ahead to the other three Grand Slams for glory making in 2003.

There's no denying that Safin is a great talent – most tennis pundits will tell you that he should be the No. 1 player in the world more than Lleyton Hewitt. But Hewitt has one important element that still seems to elude Safin – an unquenchable desire to succeed. The feisty Hewitt, attempting to become the first Australian since Mark Edmondson in 1976 to keep the Open trophy at home Down Under, never allows his desperation to win wane. Where Safin seems to run hot and cold when it comes to keeping his head and his desire in check, Hewitt never falters in his quest to win, win, win, at all costs.
For now, it will be a wait-and-see situation as to whether Safin will be able to live up to his potential in 2003 and score a second career Grand Slam title. One thing that tennis fans can be sure of is that however it turns out this season for the Russian, with Safin, it's guaranteed to be an entertaining journey.

Safin's early Australian Open departure opens his portion of the draw for the highly touted Swiss Roger Federer and 2002 Wimbledon finalist David Nalbandian, who will face each other in the fourth round for a shot at the quarterfinals.
vaiva is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #48
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

Safin out to prove a point at Dubai Duty Free Men's Open

-World Number 3 bidding to break Russia's Dubai hoodoo-

Marat Safin will bid to end a Russian drought when he heads the field at the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open from 24th February - 2nd March.

No Russian has ever managed to emerge as the winner during the 11 years of the US$1 million ATP Tour event, and the 2000 US Open champion represents the country's best hope after reaching the final on his last appearance two years ago.

On that occasion he had to pull out midway through the second set after sustaining a back injury against Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero, who will be seeded second next month behind the big hitting Russian.

Colm McLoughlin, Managing Director of Dubai Duty Free, said: "Marat is one of the brightest stars on the ATP Tour and carries such a big presence with him wherever he plays.

"He will renew his rivalry with Ferrero in Dubai and will be determined to become Russia's first player to win the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open. He felt injury deprived him of the title two years ago and he will be back to prove a point this year."

Russians have been a feature of the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open ever since Alexander Volkov was the top seed at the inaugural event in 1993, losing in the quarter-finals to 2002 champion Fabrice Santoro.

The following year Volkov reached the semi-finals where he fell to eventual champion Magnus Gustafsson, but he failed to get past the first round for the following two years. Even former World No. 1 Yevgeny Kafelnikov has struggled to break Dubai's Russian jinx since his debut back in 1998. Despite becoming a regular, he has not managed to advance beyond the quarter-finals, but has signed up for another crack at the elusive title next month.

On current form, Safin represents Russia's biggest prospect and with the ability to beat the best in the world, the 23 year-old hopes to follow up Russia's first Davis Cup title in December with victory in Dubai.

Owned and organised by Dubai Duty Free, the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open will be held at the Dubai Tennis Stadium, under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Minister of Defence, UAE. The men's event is preceded by the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open, which runs from 17th - 22nd February and features Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati.
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-19-2003, 05:52 PM   #49
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

From atptennis:

Safin Plays Well in Return

Marat Safin took his first steps back on the court following a one-month injury layoff and came up victorious in his test against talented Belgian Xavier Malisse in the first round of the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam Wednesday. Safin had shoulder problems forcing him to withdraw at the adidas International in Sydney last month and then had to pull out of the 2003 Australian Open when he suffered a small tear in his wrist ligaments. With both losses coming as a result of withdrawal, Safin is technically undefeated on the year at 5-0. Safin, who reached the semifinals in Rotterdam in 1999, but has gone 1-3 the past three years, now meets veteran countryman Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the second round.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Marat Safin:"It's frustrating when you want to play but can't. I didn't touch a racket for three weeks and when I started playing again last week, I still felt some pain in my wrist."
"It's always difficult to play that first match but it (the wrist) was okay today so hopefully I won't have any more problems during the rest of the year."
"Everyone knows that I don't want to lose to him (Kafelnikov) and he doesn't want to lose to me. It will be tough."

THURSDAY PREVIEW
Another match to highlight on the draw is the all-Russian second round between the veteran, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and the talent, Marat Safin. Early in his pro career, Marat Safin was mentored at one point by the older Russian, but today Safin carries the banner as Russia's top male singles player. The two haven't met this early in a tournament since they played in the second round at the Telecom Italia Masters on clay, when Kafelnikov emerged victorious. Since then they have played in the spotlight in the final of the President's Cup in Tashkent and the semifinal of the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, with Safin winning both.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #50
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

so his wrist is still not 100%

anyway, here's another article about the match.

Safin Stops Malisse In Rotterdam

By Adrianna Outlaw
02/19/2003

A screaming Marat Safin silenced Xavier Malisse in Rotterdam today. Shrieking in frustration after failing to convert a break point in the ninth game, the third-seeded Safin settled down to score a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament.

It was Safin's first match since a wrist injury forced him to withdraw from his scheduled third-round meeting with Rainer Schuettler at the Australian Open last month. Awarded a walkover win, Schuettler advanced to the final where he was thoroughly thrashed by Andre Agassi.

The talented, temperamental Safin blew his break-point chance in the ninth game today, but hit a strong forehand to earn another break point in the 11th game. Pounding the Belgian baseliner's weaker backhand side, Safin seized a 6-5 lead when Malisse lofted a backhand long. Safin served out the set in the ensuing game and never looked back.

A morose Malisse never recovered from losing the first set and ended the match by lining a backhand into the net. Malisse entered the encounter with a 2-1 record against Safin, including a 6-3, 6-4 victory in the second round of last year's Tennis Masters Series-Rome event, but Safin gained a measure of revenge today with hard-hit shots from the baseline. Safin's standard rally shot is heavier than many opponents flat drives and he often feasted on Malisse's pace in rallies today.

The victory vaults Safin into a second-round showdown with compatriot and Davis Cup teammate Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who destroyed Feliciano Lopez, 6-2, 6-0, on Tuesday.
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Old 02-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #51
country flag vaiva

link

Safin - bothered by wrist injury (Getty Images).

WRIST WOE THREATENS SAFIN SEASON

Marat Safin has been warned by doctors that his wrist injury may require an operation which would cut a chunk out of his season.

The world number seven is competing this week at the ABN Amro indoor tournament in Rotterdam just days after he resumed training.

He overcame the first hurdle in his path, beating Belgium's Xavier Malisse in straight sets on Wednesday, but is well aware his progress must be monitored day by day.

The 23-year-old Russian was forced to pull out of the Australian Open in the third round in January because of a damaged tendon in his left wrist.

And he only returned to training last Tuesday (February 11), starting with half-hour training sessions before building up to a full hour.

But Safin clearly fears his injury is poised to flare up again and appeared concerned when asked about his condition.

"It's been so hard and frustrating," he said. "But I held on to my nerves and decided to come to Rotterdam to see if it was painful.

"If it hurts too much I may have to undergo an operation, the doctors have told me. So far I am okay, but touch wood.

"I have had a classical treatment with injections and ultrasounds. I am still suffering but can cope with it. We will see at the end of the week."

Safin has the sort of irritable character which means he is either up or down and he is confident, wrist operation or not, that the US Open title he collected in 2000 will be the first of many major titles in his career.

He has been reunited with his former coach Denis Golovanov this year and expects their partnership to be fruitful.

"I believe I can achieve great things and intend to take things very seriously with my new coach," he said. "The objective is to win a Grand Slam tournament."
Old 02-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #52
country flag vaiva

After 1st round match in Dubai:

What players said:

Safin:" It’s tough to play well. I was injured for three weeks and I started to play last week in Rotterdam. It’s really important to win titles at the beginning of the year so I can have a lot of confidence and fight for No. 1. People are already winning points and are already maybe a little bit too far (away) for me, but I hope I can get them. Winning titles and getting to the top ten of the Race means I can fight for No. 1."

Marat Safin won decisively in one of the shorter matches of the day, defeating Alexander Waske 6-4, 6-2 in just over an hour.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #53
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article Vaiva. I'm always too lazy to look for them myself.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #54
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Article on the match!

Safin humbled by Robredo in Dubai

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Russian Marat Safin suffered a shock second round defeat to Spain's Tommy Robredo at the Dubai Open on Wednesday, losing 7-5 4-6 7-6 in a marathon two hour 51 minute battle.

Robredo had not won a match in his previous four tournaments until a first round win here over Sweden's Jonas Bjorkman.

"Right now I am lost. I think I'm playing good but I cannot win," a dejected Safin said in a statement after refusing to attend a post-match news conference.

"The only thing I can say is that I was there, I was fighting but the luck was not on my side. That's OK, the guy ran a lot, he was fighting. His game is more practical than mine."

The second seed, beaten by compatriot Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the second round of the ATP World Indoor Tournament last week after being sidelined for a month with a wrist injury, dropped the first set after he was broken in the 12th game.

Safin levelled the match by breaking early in the second set, and the final set remained in the balance right to the end.

First, Safin broke to lead 2-1 when Robredo was convinced there was a double-bounce before the Russian reached the ball.

Robredo recovered the break to level at 4-4, and in a tense finale Safin twice held break points to serve for victory, at 4-4 and 5-5, and then twice had to serve to stay in the match, at 4-5 and 5-6. But it was the Spaniard who proved the stronger player in the tiebreak.

"Normally I should lose because Marat hits so hard," said an elated Robredo, "but I have been practising hard and running a lot and I'm in great physical shape."

Top seed Roger Federer advanced 6-3 6-3 over Irakli Labadze, and third seed Jiri Novak took just 44 minutes to sweep past Andrei Stoliarov 6-1 6-1.

Dutchman Sjeng Schalken was stretched for two hours 50 minutes and had to save three match points before the number six seed overcame defending champion Fabrice Santoro 3-6 7-6 7-6.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #55
country flag maratski

marat

Old 02-28-2003, 05:59 AM   #56
country flag Jessi

god, what depressing comments from Marat. I'm surprised he took the loss so hard. I think he's putting too much pressure on himself. Its only his second tournament back, he shouldn't expect results so soon.

Forget about it Marat. Remember what you always say, "Better times will come."
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

Old 02-28-2003, 09:05 AM   #57
warfreakbix

warfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond reputewarfreakbix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jessi, welcome back!

Thanks for the quote, you lifted my spirit up! Yeah Marat, better times will come!
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to
heaven!

warfreakbix is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-02-2003, 06:16 AM   #58
country flag Jessi

Hi warfreakbix, and thank you!
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

Old 07-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #59
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marat news and articles

I hope we will get some POSTIVE Marat News soon
Old 07-02-2003, 04:51 PM   #60
maratgirl

maratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond reputemaratgirl has a reputation beyond repute

found this one on wtaworld

Safin will return in two weeks

Marat's failure Safina from the appearance already in the second tournament of the category " of large helmet " in this season - on Uimbldone, and thus far in the open championship of France - caused numerous interpretations in the tennis peace/world.In some commentaries frankly sounds the disbelief into the fact that the reason for such solutions - still the same injury of the brush of left hand, which did not give to rossiyaninu to play the open championship of Australia during January.
" Any other bases for the failure of The uimbldonskogo tournament Marat does not have and it was not, said today in the exclusive interview for the correspondent of Itar- TASS the President of the federation of tennis of Russia/FTR/Of shamil' Of tarpishchev.- he passes the course of physiotherapy apropos of the rent of tendon in the place of its fastening.this injury is always treated for long.Marat can play, but a constant pain does not give the possibility valuably to come forward in the serious tournaments, especially, when the discussion deals with the category " of large helmet ".So why, according to the chapter FTR, to leave on Kort, when there are no chances to the victory in the present situation practically.

The forthcoming two weeks, according to Tarpishcheva, " Marat will continue the treatment of the rent of tendon, especially because in the place of injury was formed the corn.It must be with the aid of the massage " mixed ".To the question, when one of the best Russian tennis-players will again gladden worshippers by powerful/thick and beautiful game, the President OF FTR said that " taking into account the nature of injury and undertaken treatment it is possible to hope that this will occur after Uimbldona, i.e., in two weeks ".

Concerning reasonings in some OF THE SMI apropos of the fact that Safin is declared to the participation in the tournaments, and then it rejects the participation them, Shamil' Of tarpishchev resembled the known procedure of conducting large tennis competitions." The organizers of tournaments in advance automatically include in the grid of those leading - according to the classification - the tennis-players, who then either confirm their participation or they reject, as it was recently in the cases with Marat ", he said chapter FTR.

" Marat, naturally, is very detuned by the fact that it cannot come forward in the serious tournaments, but it believes in the fact that soon its injury will remain in the past ", emphasized Tarpishchev.Safin was conducted in this year within the framework of a series of the tournaments of the association of the tennis-player- professionals/ATP/of 18 matches, 12 of which it completed victoriously, true, won not one competition.Injury substantially affected also its position in " the champion race/distillation " ATP - now it occupies 42- yu position, and indeed 2002 years completed on 3-1 line of this classification.

"And how to say this one? The Russian one, doesn't have a bad one also. What is his name, the young one, the tall one? This guy, you know (laughter)? The one not playing too bad. He beat once Sampras in the finals of US Open. Do you know him (laughter)? Safin, maybe Safin? I mean, I don't know, I consider myself I don't have a bad backhand. Not super, but I'm working on it."

VAMOS

Marat&Rafa
* a little bit more 4 marat because he needs it *
maratgirl is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread