Going to Indian Wells (tips, questions, meeting up, whatever) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Going to Indian Wells (tips, questions, meeting up, whatever)

Since that thread was started in GM, I thought we should have one here for people to ask questions or share their previous experiences. Also, if anyone wants to meet up at this year's event you can mention that here if you like. I have no plans to go to IW at this time, but I've gone for the last three years and will try to help out however I can.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
country flag Pepper LaRue

Pepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Indian Wells (tips, questions, meeting up, whatever)

My husband and I will be there. It will be our first time at the tournament but we've been to the area before.

Can you give me an idea about the weather during this time of year?
Pepper LaRue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for it to be very hot, and sometimes windy, during the day (I would recommend a hat, sunglasses, comfortable shoes, water, and a thick layer of sunscreen applied from head to toe before you even get dressed in the morning). Once the sun goes down, it can get really cold at the tennis center because of the swirly winds. If you are driving to the tournament (parking was $7 last year) you can get a hand stamp and go out to your car for a change of clothes. If you are staying at one of the tournament hotels, the shuttle leaves once an hour until every match is over so you can go to your hotel and change if you like (but just about every time I went back to my hotel room I would usually just shrug and say what the heck, I'm not going back).

Be sure to check weather.com or a similar website for a forecast right before you leave home. It did rain one morning back in 2003, but I don't think it has since then.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #4

Pepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond reputePepper LaRue has a reputation beyond repute

We're staying at the Esmerelda Resort. Is that considered one of the tournament hotels? I would assume so since I booked via the USTA.

I was hoping it wouldn't be so hot in early March. LOL! I'll be in Vegas the weekend prior for the Tennis Channel Open so I guess I'll get my fill of sun!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

They have a wicked frozen lemonade at the Esmeralda, best spot in the hotel is next to the pool under an umbrella!

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."

Anais Nin
michelleg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #6

Quote:
They have a wicked frozen lemonade at the Esmeralda
Yum! I'll remember that!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #7
country flag Fee

The Esmerelda is a tournament hotel, with a shuttle. It's also one of the player hotels so don't be surprised if you see familar faces on the elevator, the restaurants, the bar, etc....

Since 2003, I've seen just about every temperature there, but most of them have been hot, including a couple of days very near 100. The worst day ever was a hot and windy day. It gave me the worst headache, and dry, itchy eyes as well. Ick.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #8

Oh boy...I guess I better start looking for a cute summer hat!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hopefully going the first weekend

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
country flag Silawen

Silawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond reputeSilawen has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky Ladies, going to such a tournament. (Is going to Rotterdam, so shouldn't complain.)

Let us know how it goes and take plenty of pictures.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't go anywhere without my camera, you know that

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

For clothings, remember to wear light colour ones. I recommend a white hat. As a desert dweller, my experience tells me a white hat is MUCH better than blue or black. Always have bottle water/gatorade with you. On hot and dry days, you won't even noticed you've sweated to the point of dehydration.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
For clothings, remember to wear light colour ones. I recommend a white hat. As a desert dweller, my experience tells me a white hat is MUCH better than blue or black. Always have bottle water/gatorade with you. On hot and dry days, you won't even noticed you've sweated to the point of dehydration.
Good advice. I wear a straw hat always, except in the early mornings. Drinking is a must and knowing the signs of dehydration is good too. Symptoms are: irritableness, loss of appetite, headache, swolen fingers, toes. Also if you find you can go for hours on end without urinating -- that's NOT a good thing. And then of course it gets worse from there. On very hot days, remember that dehydration can be culmulative from one day to the next. Drink a big glass of water before going to bed at night because the body resets at night.

The lines at the water fountains are .....
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
Since 2003, I've seen just about every temperature there, but most of them have been hot, including a couple of days very near 100. The worst day ever was a hot and windy day. It gave me the worst headache, and dry, itchy eyes as well. Ick.
I've been going since 2000. We had one year where it was cold cold cold and windy too. If you are going for the whole tournament, it's best to pack warm clothing too. It nearly always gets really chilly at night. I throw some light blankets in the car and bring them out for the cold night matches. Everyone in my section likes to share them on those chilly nights.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #15
country flag Oj-Ala

Oj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond repute

HELLO !!!

I will be there almost the whole first week ! So.... see you there !?

Of course, the camara and the photos are basic !!!
DEL POTROGASQUETKIEFERCLEMENTANDREEV...

"Im a great kisser" -Andy Roddick

Roger: YOU ARE GOLD !

Oj-Ala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote