DC Finals... Aussi! Aussi! Aussi! Oi! Oi! Oi! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Knockers LaBroad

Knockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default DC Finals... Aussi! Aussi! Aussi! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Let the war begin...MWUHAHGAHAH..

Newk: Stick it up Spain
By Mark Stevens
October 23, 2003

TENNIS legend John Newcombe has urged Australia to "stick it up" Spain in next month's Davis Cup final as payback for its disrespectful behaviour.

Newcombe, the former Australian captain, has branded abuse the team copped in the 2000 final loss in Barcelona as the worst of his career.

"The best way to stick it up them is to beat them, and beat them five-love," Newcombe said.

"I've been around for a long time and that's the worst I've ever seen."

Newcombe told the November edition of Australian Tennis Magazine it would be "embarrassing" if the crowd behaved as poorly during the November 28-30 tie at Melbourne Park.

The three-time Wimbledon champ criticised the Spanish players and then captain Javier Duarte for fuelling anger in the 15,000-strong crowd.

"They were inciting the crowd and constantly encouraging the crowd to over-participate . . . that's against the rules in Davis Cup," Newcombe said.

"They refused to recognise anything. If any of our players did anything extraordinary, they'd boo to drown out the Australian applause."

Two players who will be in Melbourne next month -- Alex Corretja and world No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero -- were at the centre of controversy.

Corretja, likely to play doubles in the final, launched calculated attacks on Lleyton Hewitt in the lead-up to the final, focusing on his "c'mon" antics.

"His behaviour irritates me," Corretja said. "He can behave as he wants, (he's) free to do it. We have to be patient with him if he behaves provocatively.

"We will see how the crowd will react, but in Barcelona the crowd doesn't like provocation."

Sparked by Corretja's comments, the Barcelona crowd unleashed unprecedented abuse at Hewitt on the first day of the tie.

"Definitely, that last game was the worst I've ever seen," Hewitt said after serving out the match. "It was the toughest thing I've ever had to do in tennis. It's not a soccer match."

Hewitt was booed when introduced at the opening ceremony and again during the warm-up to his match.

Newcombe was furious that Ferrero did not get around to shaking Hewitt's hand after he won the reverse singles, sealing victory for the Spanish.

Ferrero's teammates swamped him, leaving Hewitt standing at the net.

"That's just completely disrespectful and shows a lack of class," said Newcombe, who also vividly recalls the treatment dished out to Mark Woodforde, who was booed when he walked on to court.

"It was so bad, I just started laughing. It was like 'these people don't get it'," Newcombe said. "They totally missed the point (of Davis Cup)."

Woodforde said at the time that he felt like a "caged animal".

"I thought the crowd were pretty disgraceful," Woodforde said.

"I know, sure as hell, if we played in Australia, it wouldn't be like that."
Knockers LaBroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
country flag Murkofan
Cracked out on D/S!

Murkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC Finals... Aussi! Aussi! Aussi! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Newk

The crowd was ridiculously bad. They had absolutely no class whatsoever. Apparently every Spaniard in the building had been raised by a pack of wolves

C'mon Aussies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/LosDosMos/10.jpg

"I'm just on a mission today. But the end result, you will feel better."
"Not when you go home alone tonight I won't..."

"What is your good luck charm?"
"You."
--Derek and Shannon
Murkofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
country flag Chesty Larue
I am the Lizard Queen!

Chesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond reputeChesty Larue has a reputation beyond repute

The crowd was pretty horrible at Madrid as well Poor French fans get roasted all the time for being the worst crowd..but the Spanish crowd seems much worst to me.

Anyhoo..Go Aussies!!
Chesty Larue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
country flag Murkofan
Cracked out on D/S!

Murkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody notices the Spanish crowds because 1) their horrible behavior to the Aussies was in DC, which isn't as big in Canada and the US and 2) because they don't have a Slam

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/LosDosMos/10.jpg

"I'm just on a mission today. But the end result, you will feel better."
"Not when you go home alone tonight I won't..."

"What is your good luck charm?"
"You."
--Derek and Shannon
Murkofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, go Aussie boys!

I hope the crowd is exuberant but behaves - we should show them how it's done rather than give them a taste of their own medicine. Luckily good Aussie crowds are the norm and ratbags the exception (probably because we just have so much sport around! we get practice!).
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM   #6
country flag Goonergal
Splish, Splosh

Goonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching that final in 2000 and the crowd were shocking. Even worse than the French. They were bad as well during the semi with Argentina and in Madrid during the JCF/Ferreira match. The Aussie crowd is racous, but it's more friendly banter rather than classless behavoiur.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:42 AM   #7
country flag Ashie_87

Ashie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond repute

just found out that 'relatively good seating' at DC is $325!!! thats aussie $ by the way...

Tomas
Ashie_87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:47 AM   #8
hewittclijsters

hewittclijsters is on a distinguished road

GO Aussies!

☆★Come On Lleyton★☆!!
hewittclijsters is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
duck

duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck

Hewitt's ranking slide could be factor in cup
By Linda Pearce
November 4, 2003

Lleyton Hewitt's spectacular 10-rung tumble to No. 18 on the latest ATP rankings has not merely installed Mark Philippoussis as the Australian No.1, but substantially altered the dynamic of the Davis Cup final against Spain at Melbourne Park.

Hewitt, in the unfamiliar role of Australian No. 2, will now meet Juan Carlos Ferrero on the opening day, November 28.

If, as expected, Carlos Moya is nominated as the second Spanish singles player, Hewitt will not meet his nemesis until the clash of the respective No.2s in the second reverse singles, and will not play Moya at all unless the fifth is a live rubber. Moya has prevailed in five of the pair's eight meetings.

Philippoussis, who has not won a match since reaching the Tokyo quarter-finals in early October, has nevertheless risen three spots to ninth on the entry system list released yesterday, just one place below his career peak of eighth, achieved in April, 1999.

Having started the year at No.72 as a result of his most recent knee injury, the Wimbledon finalist and Shanghai titleholder is first alternate for the Masters Cup starting in Houston on Saturday.

Philippoussis is guaranteed $70,671 just to make the trip to Texas, with the prospect of substantially more hinging on the fitness of eighth qualifier David Nalbandian.

Hewitt, meanwhile, has chosen to stay at home since the US Open and prepare for the Davis Cup final, but his ranking has taken a battering as a consequence. The slide could also damage his Australian Open chances, for the tournament's most recent top seed will have only one chance - the Sydney International in January - to return to the top 16 and improve his seeding at Melbourne Park.
duck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:32 AM   #10
tournesol

tournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: DC Finals... Aussi! Aussi! Aussi! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Hewitt's ranking slide could be factor in cup
By Linda Pearce
November 4, 2003

Lleyton Hewitt's spectacular 10-rung tumble to No. 18 on the latest ATP rankings has not merely installed Mark Philippoussis as the Australian No.1, but substantially altered the dynamic of the Davis Cup final against Spain at Melbourne Park.

Hewitt, in the unfamiliar role of Australian No. 2, will now meet Juan Carlos Ferrero on the opening day, November 28.

If, as expected, Carlos Moya is nominated as the second Spanish singles player, Hewitt will not meet his nemesis until the clash of the respective No.2s in the second reverse singles, and will not play Moya at all unless the fifth is a live rubber. Moya has prevailed in five of the pair's eight meetings.

Philippoussis, who has not won a match since reaching the Tokyo quarter-finals in early October, has nevertheless risen three spots to ninth on the entry system list released yesterday, just one place below his career peak of eighth, achieved in April, 1999.

Having started the year at No.72 as a result of his most recent knee injury, the Wimbledon finalist and Shanghai titleholder is first alternate for the Masters Cup starting in Houston on Saturday.

Philippoussis is guaranteed $70,671 just to make the trip to Texas, with the prospect of substantially more hinging on the fitness of eighth qualifier David Nalbandian.

Hewitt, meanwhile, has chosen to stay at home since the US Open and prepare for the Davis Cup final, but his ranking has taken a battering as a consequence. The slide could also damage his Australian Open chances, for the tournament's most recent top seed will have only one chance - the Sydney International in January - to return to the top 16 and improve his seeding at Melbourne Park.
i still believe that a coach would be more useful than a risk analyst
Old 11-04-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
duck

Even if LL is called for the YEC, I'm pretty sure he won't play it. He was at the Melbourne Cup race meeting yesterday with the cream of Aussie society. He loves horse-racing.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #12
country flag Angele

Angele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt given private court
By Bruce Matthews
06nov03
LLEYTON Hewitt has been given his own specially prepared grass court to assist his preparation for the Davis Cup final later this month.

Hewitt started adjusting to the fast surface with a tough two-hour practice session on the court at Kooyong yesterday.

The private club answered a call from Australian captain John Fitzgerald to let Hewitt start hitting on the surface that will be installed at Melbourne Park for the final against Spain from November 28-30.

"Obviously there wouldn't be too many grasscourts ready at the moment, only because we've had such bad weather in Adelaide and Melbourne in the last few weeks," Hewitt said.

"They have worked really hard on this court and it has come up pretty well. It's just a matter of trying to get your footing on a different kind of surface.

"Grass is tough to adjust to, especially (for) me because I didn't grow up on it."

Fitzgerald was impressed with the form of Hewitt, who hasn't played since he beat Wimbledon champion Roger Federer in five sets to seal the home semi-final against Switzerland in September.

The linchpin of Australia's team drilled with his coach Roger Rasheed, only taking short breaks for drinks.

"Lleyton has been hitting balls for a couple of weeks. He would've been hitting on grass if it had been warmer weather, but this is the first time he has been able to get on the grass," Fitzgerald said.

"The people concerned at Kooyong have been fantastic. I'm amazed the court is that good considering the weather we've had."

Fitzgerald has enlisted the Victorian Peter Luczak, a Davis Cup hitting partner, to work with Hewitt today as the Wimbledon and US Open champion gradually increases the workload in a build up to playing practice sets.

"A few of the young guys are playing a Challenger down at Beaumaris this week. But Peter is out of that, so he's ready to play all week," the captain said.

"These young guys will have to go hard to stay with Lleyton. He has been hitting a lot of balls and he's going to hit a million more before we play. He will play a few sets this week and he will be ready to go."

Hewitt will return to Adelaide for a short break next weekend before teammates Mark Philippoussis, Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs join him at Kooyong on Monday week for official practice.

The Australians and the Spanish team - Juan Carlos Ferrero, Carlos Moya, Alex Corretja and Feliciano Lopez - will be allocated practice courts at Kooyong until the grass court at Melbourne Park is ready for play on November 24.

The portable court has been stored and maintained at turf company StrathAyr's facilities at Seymour since it was last used for the 2001 Davis Cup final against France.

It will be laid this weekend over the existing Rebound Ace surface in Rod Laver Arena.
Angele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #13
kim&lleyton

kim&lleyton is on a distinguished road

COME ON AUSSIES!!!!

COME ON LLEYTON!!!

2004 winner:
* Adidas International
* ABN AMRO WTT

Irene

There is just too much that time can not erace....
kim&lleyton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 PM   #14
country flag Angele

Angele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond reputeAngele has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt goes all out
By Leo Schlink
November 11, 2003

LLEYTON HEWITT's renowned attention to detail will span two states this week as the former world No. 1 continues to prepare for the Davis Cup final.

Desperate to be in prime form for the November 28-30 clash with Spain at Rod Laver Arena, Hewitt will monitor developments at the Uncle Toby's International in Frankston while he practises on grass at Memorial Drive in Adelaide. Eager to assemble a small squad of hitting partners, Hewitt will invite early-round Frankston casualties to Adelaide to play sets under match conditions.

Hewitt, now 18th in the world after bypassing a string of European events after having a troublesome foot wart treated, will be joined in South Australia tomorrow by Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald.

Wimbledon and US Open winner Hewitt spent last week in Melbourne at Kooyong with his coach Roger Rasheed, who worked with Peter Luczak to hone the world champion's groundstrokes.

Hewitt will increase the intensity of his work this week in the centre court complex at Memorial Drive, which will host the first-round tie next season against Sweden. He'll be pitted against selected opponents in simulated five-set conditions by playing successive best-of-three-sets matches. It is understood Hewitt's junior doubles partner Nathan Healey – a highly-rated juvenile talent – will be among those to test the former world No. 1.

Hewitt's work will be varied with relentless drilling by Rasheed and Fitzgerald.

Tennis Australia will move the portable court to be used for the final from Seymour to Melbourne on Friday, using 14 semi-trailers.

The court, last used for the 2-3 loss to France in the 2001 cup decider, will be in place by Monday but will not be used in practice by either team until the following week.

Australia will renew its long rivalry with Sweden in Adelaide from February 6-8 – either on grass or Rebound Ace.

A decision on the surface will be left to the players following the final against a powerfully equipped Spanish outfit.

"Adelaide will give us the flexibility in selecting a surface as well as being able to accommodate a tie that is likely to generate substantial levels of interest, particularly if Australia wins the forthcoming final," Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard said.
Angele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:27 AM   #15
duck

Hewitt's break good for Australia's chances: Fitzy
Lleyton Hewitt's long break from tennis will help rather than hinder Australia in their Davis Cup final against Spain, captain John Fitzgerald says.

Hewitt, who has slipped to number 18 in the rankings, has cut his schedule back to concentrate on the final.

He last played in a five-set win over Switzerland's Roger Federer in the semi-final in September.

In Australia's last Davis Cup final in 2001, which they lost to France, the former world number one looked washed out after a hectic schedule following his US Open victory, Masters Cup triumph and elevation to the top ranking.

"It's a very different preparation and it's difficult I think to get the formula absolutely perfect," Fitzgerald told a news conference in Adelaide.

"Two years ago he did exactly what Juan Carlos (Ferrero) did and in the final (against France) he actually lost his first match, and maybe he was just a little bit exhausted."

Fitzgerald says the Spanish squad, which includes world number two Ferrero and number seven Carlos Moya, is in great shape, but has warned his team is also in outstanding form.

"Mark (Philippoussis) has finished ninth in the world, so it's a pretty big step over a 12-month period for him, so it's pretty exciting to have a team of that calibre," he said.

Fitzgerald watched Hewitt practise in Adelaide this afternoon and says the former world number one is looking fresh.

"He has this innate ability to walk onto a different surface and hit the ball right in the middle of the racquet," Fitzgerald said.

"There's not too many players that can do that.

"He's hitting the ball very well, and he's certainly fresh."

The Australian squad of Hewitt, Philippoussis, Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs will assemble in Melbourne next week for the November 28-30 tie.

The final will be played on a specially laid grass court at Melbourne Park.

-- ABC and Reuters