Mens Tennis Forums banner

How does PYW work? | FAQ

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Chilenaitor 
#1 ·
Hola :cool:

First of all, thanks for your interest in Pick-Your-Winner [PYW]. In this thread, you will hopefully find your questions about this game answered. If not, do not hesitate to pose these questions in this thread.

1. What is PYW?

PYW stands for Pick-Your-Winner, which is a rather self-explanatory name. Whereas you pick players who you think will win in PAW, you pick the players that you would most like to see advance to the next round in PYW. This means it is a popularity contest where it is not about yourself winning, but about you supporting your favourite players. Originating on WTAWorld, where the game is a big and ongoing success, PYW is fun and accurately depicts what players are most à la mode.

2. How does it work?

Whenever an ATP tournament is being played, you will find a PYW thread in the specific tournament forums. You will notice that the first round draw is the same as the original main draw. Members of this forum can then vote for who they want to win all the match-ups. You can vote for all matches, but you can also decide to leave some votes blank. Every vote counts as one game and the game follows the game's rules. The first vote cast is the first game, the second vote is the second game and so on. In the end, scorelines such as 6-4 3-6 6-2 or 6-0 6-1 and any other tennis scoreline is possible in PYW.

3. Who can vote?

Every member of this forum can cast their votes in the PYW threads. Whether you have 15 posts or 15,000; whether you are 13 or 60 years old and so on. There is no discrimination in PYW :)

4. Do I need to commit, as in PAW?

No, there are no commitments for PYW. You just vote whenever you have time and a thread is open to vote in. It may be that matches have already been completed, but you can still vote for the on going matches. This means PYW is the most flexible game around!

5. Am I allowed to tell others to vote?

Sure you are allowed to spread the word of PYW's existence. The more voters, the merrier and the more interesting the game becomes. However, you are not allowed to tell people to vote for certain players. Lobbying will be futile, for any reasonable suspicions of lobbying can lead to the cancellation of votes or to the forfeit of a certain player. Playing fair is playing fun.

6. Can I do live scores and start threads?

In order to best saveguard the integrity of PYW, only PYW admins can do live scores, following certain guidelines. So before you do live scores, please request if you can become a PYW Admin.

The number of posters allowed to start threads is kept low on purpose, so as to keep mistakes to a minimum. Experience on WTAWorld has taught us that mistakes are easily made, but hard to correct.

7. Any other questions?

Pose them! :)

:wavey:

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I think we should sit down and write a rulebook for PYW, at least something like this:
- players should only vote one more time one day after the round's thread was opened AND if they have voted in the day before the vote again!
- the duration of a PYW round should be equal as a real tournament duration. It means 2 days for 1R and 2R, 1 day for QF, SF and F or the equivalent in other tournaments as 2 weeks GS and 1000s.
- as you guys decided only the manager is able to update live scores, this should be present in first post in the topic.

suggestions?

#11 ·
I cant understand rules.. Should i pick on players who i support (fun)? How do you count winners of matches: like final (Davydenko-Youzhny) in Montreal?...

#13 ·
and the winner (of player) is most picked player? So why every tournament dont won Safin or Rafa or Nole or other "lovely-fans" player?

And is winner of predicters in PYW?