Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open.... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #46
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open....

David Nalbandian
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Transcribed Interview

D. NALBANDIAN/F. Santoro

7‑5, 6‑0, 6‑0

Q. Did it take you a set to work out his style?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, almost. It's very difficult play against him because he doesn't have a normal style. In the beginning was stuff. Was windy as well, so was difficult to get in the game.

But when I break back in the first and then I save the 15‑40 in the 4‑All, everything change. I mean, I start playing better, more confidence, hitting better shots. Yeah, in that moment the match change.

Q. Must feel good to get off in three sets for a change?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, first time, yeah. I didn't spend a lot of time on court today, so I am happy for that. I am happy because I play very good. Every round, better and better. So very good.

Q. You had some long matches to get to this point. Did you feel he just ran out of petrol a little bit today?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, today was very difference than another match. Was very short. I play better than another ones. So quite good. And I feel that I am in the semis in a really good shape.

Q. You've now made the semifinals at all four Grand Slam events. How proud are you of that achievement?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Very happy (smiling).

Q. This was the only tournament where you hadn't done that. Was that a real goal of yours?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I do quarters all the time so is not big difference. But I'm in semis now. So very happy. Try to be in the finals and try to play all the four Grand Slam finals.

Q. You seem very certain that the job most definitely is not done yet. You seem very determined.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I feel that I can keep going, so have to keep working, keep playing, keep focus. So it's not easy when you play very good all four Grand Slam and keep motivation.

But I'm keep going, keep practicing. And the goals, I try to ‑ that I say just before ‑ try to win some Grand Slams. So I'm ready to do it.

Q. Have you done anything different this time than the last three years that you feel that may have got you now a step further?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No, not really. No. Always same things. Same hotel. Same routines. Not much difference.

Q. Any preparation or anything that you changed?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: (Shaking his head no).

Q. Did you feel in the third set he had almost given up and was eager to get it over with?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I know if he started good in the third, the match can be going, and the same way as the second.

But if I didn't start the third set as good as I do, maybe was a little bit more complicated. But I start very good. I break him very quick. Play him very good.

So not much change.

Q. Do you ever feel embarrassed for an opponent whenever he's just getting beaten that badly?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Sometimes you have lucky and beat him like this, sometimes you don't. So if you can play as less point as possible, it's better.

Q. When you're winning that easily, what do you tell yourself to keep focused? What do you say to yourself

DAVID NALBANDIAN: When?

Q. When you're winning that easily in the second and third sets.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I mean, in the end of the match?

Q. Towards the end, how do you push yourself to the line?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, you think I wish to play like this in semis and in the finals as well. So you, I think ‑‑ when I was playing, I was enjoy because I was playing very good. Try to play same level on the semis. So not a big deal.

Q. Because he plays so differently, not a power game, does it make it difficult for you to assess just how well you played today?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: What did I say, in the beginning you need few games to adapt to his game. And then I started hitting better shots. I mean, much, much angles. I have to say I played today eight and a half points or something like this, but I prefer to start at the same level. But I couldn't for his game, is not easy.

But in the moment that I find the game ‑‑ always was tough in the beginning, but when I find the game, was much easy.

Q. Could you give us your thoughts of playing Baghdatis or Ljubicic in the semis. Something about both of them?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Both tough. I mean, Baghdatis won ‑‑ beat Roddick. So he's playing good.

Ljubicic is a very good tennis player. Last year he have a very good season: Davis Cup, Masters. He played very good. He continue. He win ‑ what he won? ‑ Chennai. He won Chennai this year. So he's still playing good. It's gonna be a tough match.

But I know if I play in my level, I have chance to win it.

Q. Any preferences between those two?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.

Q. Did you watch Roger last night?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yep.

Q. What were your thoughts on that performance?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: He won (smiling).

Q. Is it easier to have a game plan against players like Baghdatis and Ljubicic than against Santoro?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, it's different. They play completely different games. I have to focus on my game. If I play good, I can beat both.

Q. If you were a betting man, who would you bet on to win this tournament now?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Me (smiling)

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #47
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki
Q. If you were a betting man, who would you bet on to win this tournament now?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Me (smiling)
That's new! I like it!!!
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #48
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4641824.stm

Nalbandian ends brave Santoro run

Nalbandian has now reached all four major semi-finals

David Nalbandian ended Fabrice Santoro's run at the Australian Open, defeating him 7-6 6-0 6-0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time.
Santoro, playing in his first Grand Slam quarter-final at the age of 33, broke the fourth seed at 4-3.

But Nalbandian produced an array of fierce groundstrokes to break the Frenchman twice and take the opener.

From then on Nalbandian dictated the match as Santoro crumbled to defeat without winning another game.

Nalbandian will now meet Ivan Ljubicic or Marcos Baghdatis for a place in the final.

Santoro delighted the Melbourne Park crowd in the first set by taking the first break point of the match with a mesmerising series of delicate shots.

Nalbandian had struggled to work out Santoro, who plays two-handed on both sides, but he responded immediately with some powerful forehands to break back.

The Argentine broke again and carried the momentum forward to wrap up the victory in one hour and 41 minutes.

Despite the one-sided scoreline, the contest was full of quality with the players making just 32 unforced errors between them.

"Fabrice has a very special game," said Nalbandian. "It's not easy to come and hit winners from the first point.

"In the first set I was a bit nervous but when I got a bit of confidence, I started hitting harder and better.

"Now I'm in semis this year and I hope to win it."
Old 01-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #49
country flag Kyla

Kyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond repute

Great pre-match interview!!!! I really like his attitude - hope he can stay fully focused and in great shape for the rest of the tourney!

And I just love his English Usually I can figure out what he wants to say, but what on earth does "In the beginning was stuff." mean? Or did the transcriber mishear (probably) and he said "tough" and not "stuff"?
Kyla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #50
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla
Great pre-match interview!!!! I really like his attitude - hope he can stay fully focused and in great shape for the rest of the tourney!

And I just love his English Usually I can figure out what he wants to say, but what on earth does "In the beginning was stuff." mean? Or did the transcriber mishear (probably) and he said "tough" and not "stuff"?
I have no idea!
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #51
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla

I think the translator misunderstood.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #52
country flag Kyla

Kyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
I think the translator misunderstood.
I sure hope so
Old 01-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #53
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

I'm really nervous about tomorrow morning's matchup with Marcos. I hope David comes out strong.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #54
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
I'm really nervous about tomorrow morning's matchup with Marcos. I hope David comes out strong.
I'm nervous too - Marcos will give David a big fight...I'm hoping David's experience can prevail - and that Marcos can fell the pressure of beeign at a GS semi-final...
But it's gonna be hard.
And we're gonna suffer - not that we aren't used to....

Vamos Daveed!
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #55
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope there are some Argie fans in the stands for David.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #56
country flag Kyla

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who's already nervous... as if I had to do anything...

But as long as it's us who are nervous and not David...

And I've just changed my flag - not that anybody thinks I'm supporting Kiwi
Old 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #57
country flag Viken01

Viken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm also nervous but i really want david to win this match VAMOSSSS DAVID !!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #58
country flag paschan

paschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond reputepaschan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just hoping he will get through. Although I like Bagdathis, its David that's my favourite. And, I got final tickets... (ofcourse hoping for federer and nalbs)
paschan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #59
country flag fini

fini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond reputefini has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos David!!

Mariano Zabaleta

David Nalbandian

~In the arms of the angel~
fini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #60
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Well, our David's run ended today with a heartbreaking five-set loss to Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis, 3-6 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-3.