Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open.... - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #31
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open....

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns

Nalbandian beats Robredo to move into last eight

MELBOURNE, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Masters Cup champion David Nalbandian advanced to the Australian Open quarter-finals for the fourth successive year after a 6-3 6-0 2-6 6-2 victory over Spain's Tommy Robredo on Sunday.

Nalbandian, the fourth seed at Melbourne Park, raced to a two-set lead and looked like he could take the match in straight sets.

But the 16th-seeded Robredo broke the Argentine in the third game of the third set and went on to make it 2-1.

Nalbandian settled back into his rhythm in the fourth set, racing to a 5-2 lead and then sealing a place in the last eight when Robredo hit a backhand into the net on match point.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #32
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...909801498.html

Four Straight for Nalbandian
Sunday, 22 January, 2006
by Bren O'Brien

No.4 seed David Nalbandian is through to the quarter-finals of the Australian Open for the fourth year in succession after a hard-fought 6-3 6-0 2-6 6-2 win over No.16 seed Tommy Robredo on Vodafone Arena on Day Seven.

Nalbandian, who has never progressed past the last eight in four previous appearances at Melbourne Park, was well on track for a quick progress through before Robredo pinched two breaks and the third set. But Nalbandian breezed through the final set in 30 minutes, sealing his progression with his fourth match point.

The Argentine broke Robredo in the third game of the match, and then the ninth to secure the early advantage. He then marched through the second set in just 25 minutes with three breaks of serve. Robredo rallied with two breaks of his own in the third set after a much-improved performance on his own serve.

But an early break in the fourth robbed him of his momentum and while he managed to thrice thwart the Argentine within a point of victory, on his fourth chance, Nalbandian pounced, sealing a clash with either Fabrice Santoro or David Ferrer.

Match Facts:

• Nalbandian had 22 break-point chances and converted seven, Robredo had two and converted both

• Nalbandian hit 33 winners to 24

• Robredo had 119 first serves to Nalbandian's 84

• Nalbandian now has a 3-1 head-to-head record against Robredo

Last edited by sigmagirl91 : 01-22-2006 at 05:39 AM.
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #33
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

David Nalbandian
Sunday, January 22, 2006

Transcribed Interview

D. NALBANDIAN/T. Robredo

6‑3, 6‑0, 2‑6, 6‑2

Q. Heading for a straight‑sets win, what happened in the third?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I don't know. I think I didn't play at the same level as beginning. Not with the same intensity. That's why I think I lose the second set ‑‑ the third set.

Q. Confidence now that the draw's opening up? Roddick beaten now. Do you have the confidence now to go to the final?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I'm confident every time I play good, and I play good today so I feel much better than the beginning of the tournament. So I am very happy.

I know that all the players are tough right now. I mean, Roddick lost, but Baghdatis is a great player, so is gonna be tough with any one or both. But first I have to think of Ferrer or Santoro.

Q. You pride yourself on playing the right shot to each ball. The first two sets, how close to absolutely the ideal was that for you?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, I don't know how close, but I play very good. With a few mistakes, I mean normal mistakes, because I was hitting very strong shots, very close to the line. So it's normal if you miss some ones.

But I played very, very good in the beginning. And in the fourth set as well. So that's make me confident for the next round.

Q. How much more improvement do you think you can make in the next few days?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Always you can improve. I mean, when you are inside a court, you feel that some shots maybe you can make a winner and not a mistake. So always you think you can improve a little bit more, a little bit more.

But it's tough because you play long matches, good matches. And the small things are very thin, you know. It's difficult to get improve all the time, but that's the idea.

Q. You had a virus late last week. Are you over that totally?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Today I feel great. The doctors told me that every day is gone on it's gonna be better. So I feel much, much better than the beginning. So quite good.

Q. If you would have to pick one player in your part of the draw, who would be most dangerous, who would that be?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: All of them.

Q. You seemed to move quietly through the draw. People don't necessarily notice, start taking notice until this time, the second week. That suits the way you play?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, you have to play good in the second week, so I play good today. I prefer to win easy all the matches. I mean, I was playing five and four sets all the time, quite long matches, many, many hours on court. But I feel that today I play very good. That's make me confident for the second week. So quite good.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #34
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Thanks, Peggy.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #35
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

The quarterfinal matchups in the bottom draw shape up like this

Santoro vs. David
Ivan vs. Marcos

I will post OOP when available.

This match is a grand opportunity for David to make it past the quarters for the first time ever at this tournament. If he does, then he'll be only the third active male player to advance to the semis or better in all four slams.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #36
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

head to head
Santoro leads 2-1
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...layernum2=S424

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 01-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #37
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki

Santoro is dangerous....I'm not sure what to expect.
But David can win, if he's focused like he was yesterday on the first 2 sets.
Vamos David!
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #38
country flag Kyla

Kyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond reputeKyla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
There was? I just wanted it for the ass shot.
The shot everyone went crazy about was indeed another one - but I like this one better
Kyla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #39
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

David will win...

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #40
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

David def. Santoro 7-5 6-0 6-0. Unexpected scoreline, but we'll take it.
In any case, David will meet the winner of Ivan and Marcos.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 AM   #41
country flag rachelzszs

rachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond reputerachelzszs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!@
Marat Safin, Richard Gasquet

You all simply the best!
Bryans Roger Gaston Pim Mardy Lopez Rafa
rachelzszs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:49 AM   #42
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Nalbandian into semifinals for the first time

By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer
January 23, 2006

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- David Nalbandian advanced to the Australian Open semifinals for the first time, overwhelming veteran Frenchman Fabrice Santoro 7-5, 6-0, 6-0 on Tuesday.

The fourth-seeded Nalbandian was down a break in the first set, but reeled off 14 consecutive games to dominate the day's first quarterfinal.

Santoro, 33 and playing in the quarterfinals for the first time in 54 majors, was 13-0 when he got his first serve into play at the start.

He won 34 points in the first set, but won only 16 in the next two sets.

Santoro had Nalbandian sprinting from side to side, net to baseline, chasing drop shots, volleys and lobs until the 24-year-old Argentine got his ground strokes working and started passing him on both sides.

"In the beginning it was very tough, windy," said Nalbandian, the Masters Cup champion. "Also, Fabrice has a very special game. It's not easy to come and hit winners from the first point.

"In the first set I was a bit nervous -- when I got a bit of confidence, I started hitting harder and better, with angles near to the line."

Nalbandian clinched it with a backhand service return, his 47th winner of the match.

He will play the winner of Tuesday's later quarterfinal between No. 7 Ivan Ljubicic and unseeded Marcos Baghdatis, who upset second-seeded Andy Roddick in the fourth round.

Santoro and Nalbandian exchanged service breaks before Santoro, serving to stay in the set at 6-5, was broken. At 0-30, the Frenchman had a rare ace but on his next point hit a backhand wide before Nalbandian blasted a forehand to the opposite corner to take the set, shouting "Si.'

From 5-5 in the first, Santoro never had a game point.

By making the final four at Melbourne Park, Nalbandian has reached the semifinals at all four Grand Slams. He lost the Wimbledon final in 2002 to Lleyton Hewitt.

Nalbandian, who lost in the quarterfinals in the previous three Australian Opens, said his upset win over top-ranked Roger Federer in the season-ending Masters Cup at Shanghai in November had increased his confidence.

"I'm in semis this year, and I hope to win it," said Nalbandian, the highest ranked player on the bottom half the draw.

Martina Hingis' comeback has gone so smoothly that she's in the Australian Open quarterfinals against second-seeded Kim Clijsters following a three-year layoff.

Back on the tour for just three weeks, the three-time Australian Open champion advanced Monday with a 6-1, 7-6 (8) victory over Samantha Stosur 6-1, 7-6 (8).

Hingis needed four match points to beat Stosur. The five-time Grand Slam winner, who dropped off the tour because of ankle, heel and foot injuries, returned to competitive tennis Jan. 2 and hasn't lost a set at this tournament.

Her Swiss compatriot Roger Federer overcame an uncharacteristic 58 errors in his 6-4, 6-0, 3-6, 4-6, 6-2 fourth-round win over Tommy Haas.

"I was really trying to just break his momentum. Tommy was making it difficult for me to play," Federer said. "To be honest, I like to be pushed like this."

Davenport and Henin-Hardenne meet Tuesday, while 2004 Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova goes against fellow Russian Nadia Petrova.

Federer will meet fifth-seeded Nikolay Davydenko in the quarters.

After crashing simple overheads into the net in the third and fourth sets, Federer regained an unwavering calm opening the fifth, when he hit 18 of his 66 winners and cut his errors to six.

In the sixth game, he peeled a forehand down the line, turned an improvised, bunted a backhand service return into a winner and secured the pivotal break by forcing the 41st-ranked Haas to go for too much on a forehand.

Last edited by sigmagirl91 : 01-24-2006 at 03:52 AM.
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:51 AM   #43
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Nalbandian rolls into Australian Open semifinals Tuesday

January 23, 2006
MELBOURNE, Australia (Ticker) - Fabrice Santoro's first career Grand Slam quarterfinal was not a pleasant experience for the 33-year-old Frenchman.

Santoro was overpowered by fourth seed David Nalbandian of Argentina, dropping the final 14 games in a 7-5, 6-0, 6-0 beating in the round of eight at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

Nalbandian, who now has reached the semifinals of all four majors, awaits either seventh-seeded Croatian Ivan Ljubicic or Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus in the penultimate round.

Santoro, who had been 2-1 lifetime against the 24-year-old Nalbandian, is a journeyman who entered the match with a 53-53 career record in Grand Slams. He began the match promisingly, breaking Nalbandian in the seventh game, but the Argentine immediately countered, then broke again in the 12th game to claim the set.

Nalbandian pulled away thereafter, dropping just seven points in the second set and nine in the third against the tiring Frenchman, who hits with two hands on both forehands and backhands.

On Tuesday night, Baghdatis likely will have the crowd on his side against Ljubicic in a matchup of first-time Grand Slam quarterfinalists.

Cheered on by members of Melbourne's Greek community, the 20-year-old Baghdatis recorded a four-set toppling of second-seeded American Andy Roddick in the fourth round. In his only previous meeting with Ljubicic, he posted a four-set win in the second round of last year's Australian Open.

Also Tuesday night, top-seeded American Lindsay Davenport hopes to overcome an injured left ankle when she takes on eighth seed and reigning French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Davenport sprained her left ankle in her third-round match with No. 25 Maria Kirilenko, then aggravated it in a 6-2, 6-4 victory over another seeded Russian, No. 14 Svetlana Kuznetsova, on Sunday. The American has not won a major since taking the 2000 Australian Open.

A four-time Grand Slam champion from Belgium, Henin-Hardenne rolled into the round of eight with a 6-0, 6-3 rout of Spaniard Virginia Ruano Pascual on Sunday. The 2004 Australian Open champion who could not defend her title because of a right knee injury, Henin-Hardenne has won 18 straight matches on the continent.

Though Henin-Hardenne is 4-5 against Davenport, she has won the last four meetings, including a 7-5, 6-3 victory in the quarterfinals here two years ago.

Also on the docket is an all-Russian quarterfinal between fourth seed Maria Sharapova and No. 6 Nadia Petrova.

Sharapova rallied from early deficits in both sets to defeat No. 17 Daniela Hantuchova, 6-4, 6-4, on Sunday, while Petrova routed countrywoman Elena Vesnina, 6-3, 6-1.

Sharapova is 3-1 lifetime against Petrova, beating her in the quarterfinals of both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open last year before getting crushed in the WTA Tour Championships, 6-1, 6-2.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #44
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...076442422.html
Nalbandian Eases Into Semis

Tuesday, 24 January, 2006
by Bren O'Brien

David Nalbandian has blitzed his way through to the semi-finals of Australian Open 2006 with a 7-5 6-0 6-0 win over France's Fabrice Santoro.

After a tight first set, it looked as if the Argentine No.4 seed would be pushed all the way in his attempt to reach the final four for the first time in Melbourne. But he progressed through the final two sets with surprising ease, stunning unseeded Santoro with a volley of searing winners.

Santoro was the first to break serve, punishing Nalbandian for a series of unforced errors in the seventh game. But the Argentine then broke back and with the set in the balance in the 12th game, dominated the Frenchman's serve to take the set in 51 minutes.

Nalbandian got the important service break in a tight second game of the second set, and Santoro seemed to drop his head. He won just two points on serve for the rest of the set, and just one on Nalbandian's serve as he surrendered the set in just 25 minutes.

As the Argentine eyed a semi-final spot against either Ivan Ljubicic or Marcos Baghdatis, Santoro could do little but watch as the set followed the same pattern as the first. Nalbandian broke him three more times, making it 13 games on the trot, and played the Frenchman off the court in one hour and 41 minutes.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #45
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns

Nalbandian makes first Australian semi-final

(Adds quotes, details, byline)

By Paul Tait

MELBOURNE, Jan 24 (Reuters) - David Nalbandian stormed into the semi-finals of the Australian Open on Monday with an emphatic 7-5 6-0 6-0 win over Fabrice Santoro and said he was primed to claim his first grand slam title.

The Argentine fourth seed has now reached the semi-finals of all four grand slam events and the manner in which he ruthlessly dispatched Santoro suggested his confidence may not be misplaced.

Nalbandian reeled off 14 straight games from the 11th game of the first set, racing though his quarter-final on Rod Laver Arena in 101 minutes. He claimed the last two sets in less time than it took to win the first.

"I feel that I can keep going, so I have to keep working, keep playing, keep focus," Nalbandian told reporters.

"The goals that I chose to do, to win some grand slams, I'm ready to do," he said.

Seen as one of the few players capable of challenging world number one Roger Federer, Nalbandian will play either seventh seed Ivan Ljubicic of Croatia or unseeded Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in the semis.

The 2002 Wimbledon runner-up was one of only four men to beat Federer last year, coming back from two sets down to beat the Swiss for the biggest win of his career.

STEP UP

Nalbandian has reached the quarter-finals at seven of his last nine grand slams but said now was the time to go a step further.

"I do quarters all the time so it's not a big difference," Nalbandian said.

"But I'm in the semis now, so I'm very happy. I'll try to be in the finals and try to play all the four grand slam finals."

Nalbandian's form has improved gradually since a scratchy five-set win over Thai qualifier Danai Udomchoke in the first round. The win over Santoro was his first straight-sets victory of the tournament.

Santoro, playing in the last eight at a grand slam for the first time in 54 appearances, pushed his opponent in the first set but was simply overwhelmed thereafter.

Nalbandian said he felt the course of the match change after he fought back from 15-40 at 4-4 in the first set to hold serve.

"It's very difficult to play against him because he doesn't have a normal style," Nalbandian said.

"But then I started playing better, with more confidence, hitting better shots."

Nalbandian said he matched up well with both Ljubicic or the unpredictable Baghdatis, who upset second seed Andy Roddick.

"They play completely different games. If I play good I can beat both."