Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open.... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tournament Watch 2006....the Australian Open....

Third round matchups:

Gaudio vs. Santoro
Ancic vs. Ferrer
Robredo vs. Blake
Nieminen vs. Nalbandian

Ljubicic vs. Lopez
Simon vs. Johansson
Gremelmayr vs. Baghdatis
Benneteau vs. Roddick

Note: David has a 4-3 advantage over Nieminen-his last win coming in the 2005 BMW Open by a score of 6-3 6-0, but Nieminen leads their h2h on hardcourts 3-2.
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns

Nalbandian safely through to third round

MELBOURNE, Jan 18 (Reuters) - David Nalbandian survived a testing encounter with exciting Swiss shotmaker Stanislas Wawrinka to reach the third round of the Australian Open on Wednesday.

The fourth seed was forced to draw on all his big-match experience to win 6-4 3-6 6-4 6-2 and remain on course for a quarter-final showdown with fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio.

Nalbandian's next opponent is Finland's 26th seed Jarkko Nieminen, who beat Wang Yeu-tzuoo of Taiwan 6-2 7-6 6-2.

Nalbandian, 24, broke Wawrinka's serve once in each of the first and third sets then twice in the fourth while the Swiss won the second set when he broke for the only time in the match.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:49 AM   #18
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

The post-match interview:

D. NALBANDIAN/S. Wawrinka

6‑4, 3‑6, 6‑4, 6‑2

Q. That was quite a tight match for a long time. You were able to come through it quite comfortably in the end. Was that the sort of game you needed at this stage?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, it was a very tough second round. I mean, he's very young. He play very good. He will be more dangerous than today.

Was tougher than I expect for second round, but I get a very good feeling. I feel that I play very good from the beginning until the end. So I finish today and I feel that I play very good.

Q. How did you feel physically after a five‑set match in the first round and pulling out of Kooyong?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No, today I feel much, much better. I mean, playing at night maybe help me a little bit with the heat. So is not too heat.

I feel that next round I will be perfect ‑ almost perfect. Never you feel perfect (smiling).

Q. You also seemed a lot more confident on the big points. You saved a lot of breakpoints. How much of that was from your Masters Cup win against Roger, how much more confidence have you gained from that?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, when you win that points, everybody think that it's normal because of experience. But when you lose it, experience go on. So doesn't matter.

Of course the tournament help me, but I always play good the important points, the breakpoints. So I always try to play good all points, but is not easy so...

Q. Do you think you learnt anything about beating Roger in the future? Did you learn anything about Roger's game that can help you beat him again in the future? Did you discover any chinks in his armor?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: We know each other very well from long time ago, so we know. We know very good.

Q. One last one about your next opponent.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I know Jarkko from Juniors as well, so we play a lot of times. Difficult match. Always that we play, we play long and tough matches. So I don't expect be very quick third round.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns

Nalbandian grinds out third round victory in Melbourne

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) - World number four David Nalbandian came from a set and two games down in the second set to graft his way to a 2-6 6-3 6-2 7-5 victory over Jarkko Nieminen in the third round of the Australian Open on Friday.

Nalbandian also came from a break down in the fourth set to line up a fourth round clash with either James Blake or Tommy Robredo.

Nieminen, who won his first ATP tour title in Auckland last week, had the chance to send the match into a decider when he broke Nalbandian in the eighth game of that fourth set but was unable to capitalise and was broken back in the 11th game.

The 24-year-old Argentine sealed victory when Nieminen sent a backhand long after a typically long baseline rally.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #20
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...en_friday1.asp

Nalbandian Beats Nieminen as Temperatures Soar

As soaring temperatures forced Australian Open officials to suspend play on most courts for about two hours at Melbourne Park on Friday, David Nalbandian and last week’s Heineken Open winner, Jarkko Nieminen, carried on regardless of the conditions.

While fourth-seeded Nalbandian won the battle of attrition over the determined Finn 2-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 for a place in the fourth round, other players returned to the locker room under the extreme heat policy.

The ruling allows for play to be suspended on outside courts and for the closure of two retractable roofs covering the two main stadium courts should temperatures hit 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit).

Nalbandian and No. 26 seed Nieminen also continued their clash, on Vodafone Arena, through a light rain shower.

Having entered the Australian Open with his highest Grand Slam seeding to date, Nalbandian needed to fight back from a one set and one break deficit to overcome Nieminen in two hours and 54 minutes.

Nieminen, ranked No. 24 in the INDESIT ATP Ranking, converted just five of 16 break points. In comparison, Nalbandian marginally bettered the Finn with seven of 19 break point successes.

Spanish No. 16 seed Tommy Robredo or last week’s Medibank International winner, James Blake, the No. 20 seed from New York, meet in Friday’s night match on Rod Laver Arena for a chance to play the reigning Tennis Masters Cup champion who improved his all-time record in Melbourne to 16-4.

In night action, Swede Thomas Johansson reached the last 16 for the second consecutive year with a straight sets win over French qualifier Gilles Simon, who was making his second career Grand Slam appearance.

Johansson was rarely tested in the 6-3, 6-2 6-1 victory over 21-year-old Simon – ranked No. 123 in the INDESIT ATP Ranking.

The 2002 champion awaits the winner of either seventh-seeded Ivan Ljubicic or No. 31 seed Feliciano Lopez of Spain both looking for a fourth round berth in Melbourne for the first time.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

So, the round of 16 matchups are:

Santoro vs. Ferrer
David vs. winner of James/Robredo match

T. Johansson vs. winner of Ivan/F. Lopez match
Marcos vs. Roddick

Yeah, I used first names with some of these fellas, and you can pretty much guess why.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

This is the shot!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #23
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!!
Thanks for the pic, Tiff.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
country flag sophia_c

sophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond repute

that is a great picture but there was a better shot....
sophia_c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #25
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia_c
that is a great picture but there was a better shot....
There was? I just wanted it for the ass shot.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #26
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
So, the round of 16 matchups are:

Santoro vs. Ferrer
David vs. winner of James/Robredo match

T. Johansson vs. winner of Ivan/F. Lopez match
Marcos vs. Roddick

Yeah, I used first names with some of these fellas, and you can pretty much guess why.

Update:

Santoro vs. Ferrer
Robredo vs. David

Ivan vs. ToJo
Marcos vs. Roddick
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #27
country flag sophia_c

sophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
There was? I just wanted it for the ass shot.

Yeah there is that...but hey!! you think he has a tank ass which he so does not have..I think he has the perfect ass
sophia_c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah there is that...but hey!! you think he has a tank ass which he so does not have..I think he has the perfect ass
Word!
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
He's worked on the tank ass. That's a good thing.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #30
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

David def. Robredo 6-3 6-0 2-6 6-2....back to quarters!!!