Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #286
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos

yeah he looks very vampire in there but still, thank God the black didn't last that much

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #287
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos

This one is a bit fuzzy because I didn't follow Nico back when he mainly played challengers.

This story was told to me by a woman who followed Nico from the beginning of his career so don't know if it is exactly correct or not. If it's all wrong, my apologies but I deny any responsibility. If it's right, enjoy the story.

Don't know if it was the 1998 or 1999 Davis Cup tie against Colombia, but either one, Nico arrived earlier than the rest of the team. From what I was told, the sports reporters in Colombia wrote articles claiming that there was no way that Nico could win his matches. By the time the rest of the team arrived in Colombia, Nico was quite upset by what was being written. In fact, he was so upset that the Chilean Davis Cup captain bought Nico a Playstation so he could relax a bit.

Marcelo Rios got mad, and yelled at the newspapers, saying that they weren't very nice. (Talk about the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. ).

Nico went on to win his match, and after he won, he put his finger to his lips as if to say next time, be quiet.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #288
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Great story Nicofan! He's so cute Thanks for posting that and the pic

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #289
country flag kidnicky

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, thanks for sharing the story again ... nice pic of Nico too

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #290
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Someone here on MTF posted this pix, I liked it, I asked if I could post it here, he said yes.

End of story.

But love Nico's smile in this pixs - one of my favorites.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #291
country flag kidnicky

that's such a beautiful picture

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #292
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #293
country flag NicoFan

Long story for this one.

This is from the Davis Cup tie between Chile and Ecuador in 2004.

The year started with such promise because Nico had done so well in 2003, going from over 100 in the world to 12th in the world. But there was so much pressure on Nico back in Chile to make it up into the Top Ten. Every single day there was another article in the online newspapers about when he would finally break into the Top Ten, and he didn't handle the pressure well.

He lost in the first round in every tournament at the beginning of the year. Then there was the Davis Cup tie against Peru. Too much to go into but lots of friction between everyone because Nico didn't want Horacio de la Pena to be the Chilean captain.

Nico did okay in the Latin America swing, but everyone could see the pressure written all over his face. By the time he hit the Brasil tournament, the papers were chatting about how he needed to see a psychologist about his inability to get into the Top Ten yet.

The cliched sh*t hit the fan during Indian Wells and Miami. Nico played Rafa at Indian Wells, and he retired in the 2nd set. People who were there said that he said on court that he didn't need to put up with this when he was losing. Then everything really blew up during Miami. Nico played Andrei Pavel, and while he didn't retired, he stopped trying in the 2nd set after losing the first set tiebreak. Not only didn't he try, he pretty much just stood there on court and didn't do anything. He was fined $10,000 and had to pay his own hotel bill.

After the match, he basically disappeared. Fernando and Marcelo said that Nico told them that he didn't want to play tennis anymore. Of course, Chile had a Davis Cup tie against Ecuador so the press went wild because no one could get a hold of Nico, not even the Chilean tennis federation.

Then a couple of days before he was supposed to show up for the tie, his dad, Don Manuel, went to the press and told them that they had to stop putting pressure on Nico, that they were making him crazy. He also said that Nico had been in Argentina during the week.

Of course, everyone was very worried about Nico, and supposedly when he finally got to Chile, he wasn't in the best frame of mind. I was very worried about Nico, but I knew he was feeling better when he got mad at everyone. He told them that they should stop asking him if he was ill, because he was fine!!

One of the reasons that I've always liked Horacio was that despite his and Nico's constant battles, he really helped Nico that week. Obviously he wanted the win, but Nico got a bit of his confidence back that week.

So finally we come to the picture. After Nico beat Gio Lapentti, this picture was taken. Don't know exactly why Nico was ssshhh'ing everyone, but I've always thought it was to tell everyone to stop talking about why he wasn't in the Top Ten yet and why he was feeling so pressured.

Took Nico a bit of time to get to the Top Ten that year, and he didn't stay there long - only one week. But hey, he did it - # 9 - and that's all that counts!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #294
country flag kidnicky

Great great story NicoFan thanks for sharing this with all of us

And the chilean press adding extra pressure to Nico, that almost never happens huh?

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #295
country flag Sparko1030

Thanks for the backstory for the pic Nicofan. Good reminder that Nico has always been hounded by the press and does not deal with the huge amount of pressure they stack on him well. One can only guess what difference it might have made over the years had the press not been so obssessed with him making the top 10 and other aspects of his career. Once again, too bad Nico isn't from the US-here most of the press leaves tennis players alone

Nico

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #296
country flag NicoFan

It was really bad back then - it's nothing now compared to what it was like. There were so many articles everyday. I would have been crazed myself!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #297
country flag NicoFan

I'm behind on the retro reviews so I'll do a few.

First, Nico's aversion to grass. Bottom line is that he hates it. When I was at Wimbledon in 2004, he mumbled and complained about the grass for the entire match (which lasted for two days due to the rain, and in the end, he lost). He swings his racquet like a golf club at the grass and mutters under his breath about how he hates grass and can't wait to get back on to clay.

Personally I don't mind because I think playing tennis on grass is silly too. As Marcelo says, grass is for cows.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #298
country flag NicoFan

This was one of my favorite years to follow Nico, and the US Open 2005 was particularly special. He had a bad summer up to that point because he was coachless and lost the 400 points from the previous year's win at the Olympics. But after Cincy, he teamed back up with Gaby (love Gaby! ), and he did well at the US Open, getting to I believe the 4th round. He was in a great mood everyday and practices were a lot of fun to watch. So many good memories from that year (good grief I sound old! ). If I had a time machine, I would whip back to that tournament.

Shame that Nico has such a dislike for hardcourts because whether he likes it or not, his best big results are on hardcourt. If he had taken hardcourts more seriously rather than running back to clay at every opportunity in his career and hired a coach that could have taken him places on hardcourts, I believe that he would have had a much more successful career. But we'll never know so only speculation on my part.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #299
country flag NicoFan

Last for the day. I love it when Nico lets his hair go au naturale. He's always slicking it down, but I like it wild and free. Don't know where this was taken, but I believe it was in 2003. The woman who said I could use it said she was waiting for GG to turn around but he never did so she got a bunch of Nico and only GG's back.

I also love this picture because he has the cutest puzzled look on his face. And no goatee!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #300
country flag kidnicky

thanks for the 3 posts NicoFan I keep thinking why Nico botters to play in Wimbledon if he hates it that much, it's so funny to see him complaining all the time, I hope that he finally decides to invent something to not play the cows season if he has the ranking for it

2005 was really great, esp at the USO, I'll never understand why Nico was soo .... to have left Gaby

Oh and I guess the last pic was taken during the off season in that year, in Buenos Aires when he used to train for the new season a couple of years ago

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini