Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #256
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos

I've created a retro review of Nico on my blog to make the off season with no Nico news go faster, but I thought it would be fun to do here too!

If you have a photo or video of Nico that means something special to you, or you just plain like the photo or video, feel free to post it here on this thread. If you have a story that goes along with the picture or video, so much the better.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #257
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retro Review: A Brief Glimpse Back At Nico Through Pictures And Videos

First up is this picture from Nico's match against Andy Roddick in Madrid 2003. It's one of my favorites. Nico began the year out of the Top 100 (due to injuries the previous year), but due to hard work and sacrifice, worked his way up to #12 at the end of 2003. The year was capped off by a finalist spot in Madrid, beating guys like Guga Kuerten, Roddick, Younes El Aynaoui , and Juan Ignacio Chela along the way. Nico did lose to Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final, but he kept the score close.

Nico was so psyched up during his match against Andy. He was behind in the first set, but came back, and never looked back during the rest of the match. If you ever have a chance to watch the match, do so. I think it was one of Nico's best matches ever. He completely took play away from Andy, at a time when Andy's career was quite hot.

I also like the pictures from this particular year because Nico was clean shaven all the time.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #258
country flag NicoFan

Nico came up with his own very special trademark celebration after each win during the Madrid tournament.

Down he went on his knees, and thanked the tennis gods for the win.

I never remembered him doing it after that tournament (though I could be wrong)...but I've always wished that he'd bring it back.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #259
country flag NicoFan

Watching Nico and Fernando Gonzalez participating in El Teleton this year, reminded me of Teleton's in past years.

The 2004 Teleton particularly comes to mind. Nico had won the gold that year...how can we forget! The European Fall indoor season following the gold win was successful, except that right near the end, Nico found out that he had a hernia. Don't know why he didn't get the problem taken care of immediately, but he didn't and even played in a couple of off season exhibitions. In the one of the exhibitions up in Mexico, the hernia problem flared up and he had a very painful plane ride back to Chile.

When he got back him, he immediately was taken to the hospital for a hernia operation. He was supposed to participate in a doubles match for El Teleton that week, but because of the operation, he ended up playing the role of chair umpire. And he was quite a good chair umpire, although Fernando might not have agreed since Nico penalized him for hitting the ball too hard! All in good fun...

The pictures above are from that year, one showing Nico as chair umpire.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #260
country flag NicoFan

After Nico won the gold at the Olympics, obviously he received a number of sponsorships.

One of them was to appear on scratch lottery tickets in Chile. Four of the tickets are shown above, along with a picture of the press conference announcing the tickets. For the record, my favorite is the third one down.

Since I'm not Chilean and my Spanish is limited, when articles appeared in the Chilean online web sites about the tickets, the words in Spanish for the scratch lottery tickets didn't translate very well. I had another site for Nico back then, and all of us who posted there were literally scratching our heads wondering what the article was about. At first we even thought they were saying negative things about Nico! Fortunately, one of the Chileans who visited the site (our own Ricardo!) set us straight.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #261
country flag NicoFan

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Actually it wasn't that long ago and it really wasn't in another galaxy, but once upon a time, a young Nico wore earrings.

I wasn't a fan that far back (didn't "discover" Nico until 2002), but I was told (and this could be wrong) that Nico decided to bag the earrings look because he had matured.

Personally...I like him with the earrings.

What do you all think? Yeay or nay to the earrings?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #262
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Great job NicoFan

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #263
country flag NicoFan

Glad you like it Kid.

But you didn't say whether you prefer Nico with or without earrings...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #264
country flag kidnicky

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Definetly without earrings I like man with earring but not as big as the ones Nico were using in that time

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #265
country flag NicoFan

Yeah, they were big, but I think Nico pulled it off. He looked good in earrings.

I kind of wish he had kept one earring. It would have looked cool.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:17 AM   #266
country flag kidnicky

yes one would had been cool and not that big

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #267
country flag NicoFan

A Thanksgiving Day present for everyone.

With apologizes to Charles Dickens, 2006 was the best of times and the worst of times for Nico.

The year started off well with excellent results in the Latin American swing, including a title in Brazil. But the rest of the year left a lot to be desired.

The link below is for an end of the year press conference describing the ups and downs of 2006.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...telefonica.flv
Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #268
country flag kidnicky

Thanks for the video NicoFan and you´re right, it was a good and bad year although during that year was when I finally could see him watching live and in Toronto, you remember that of courser right?

It's unbelievable how different he looks now, I never thought that a couple of years could make such a big difference on him, I mean he even looks younger and that was just a couple of years ago right?

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #269
country flag NicoFan

Of course I remember Toronto! That was a great time and the last time that I got to see him day after day after day. He rarely comes to the US/Canada anymore , and when he does, it's not the same. He doesn't seem to want to be here (which is upsetting to watch) and is usually only here a couple of days before he loses and is gone again.

He does look so much younger there. I noticed that too.

He's still a cutiepatootie, but he really was adorable then. And of course, I love that video because no facial hair.

He's changed so much in the six years that I've followed him.

I will be accused of being mean again but I like the "old days" better. Not looks (Nico will always be adorable ), but everything else.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #270
country flag NicoFan

Speaking of norteamerica, I had the "pleasure" of sitting through the five hour marathon that was the Nico-Sargis Sargsian match at the US Open in 2004 that Sargsian won 6-7(6), 6-4 3-6, 7-6(6), 6-4 .

Started in the day light, ended long after the sun went down.

Right from the beginning, Nico was all out of sorts. He was tired from the Athens Olympics, and from the start in the first set, he told Pato Rodriquez (his then coach) that he was going to retire from the match. Pato was sitting fairly close to me so I was able - with a little help from some Chileans sitting near me - to hear everything that Nico was telling Pato.

Nico finally calmed down and got back in the match during the second set.

The rest of the match was extreme highs and extreme lows. The chair umpire began to lose control, and Nico looked at times as if he were going into meltdown mode.

In the 4th set, Nico had match point, but he couldn't take it and went on to lose the 4th set in a tb. The picture of Nico smashing his racquet above is from either late in the set or the tiebreak.

In the 5th set, all you-know-what broke lose. Sargsian had enough of Nico's melodramatics at that point, and decided to really annoy Nico by taking a medical time out. As soon as Sargsian's time out ended, Nico called his own time out. I don't know how to explain it, but I'll never forget the look Nico gave Sargsian when he called his own time out. He looked at Sargsian with a shake of his head as if to say "I can play this game too."

The chair umpire by that time had completely lost all control of the match. Finally they had to call the head umpire to calm Nico down. His family -- including Tia Sonia - and the Chilean fans were just getting Nico more crazed by cheering him on.

Nico lost the match, but I'll never forget that night. Nico was fined after the match, but he told the ITF that he never wanted that chair umpire to call any of his matches ever again. I truly hope that Nico apologized to Sargsian at some point -- but I doubt it.

The match got the notice of US TV announcers. Whenever any player went crazy for the rest of the tournament, the TV announcers said they were doing a Massu.

The New York fans also highly enjoyed the match, and for a couple of years after that, they all knew that if they wanted drama, they'll get it at a Nico match. And they did get it in 2005 when Nico played Guillermo Coria - but that's for another day.