2006: A Look Forward To Fernando's Season - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-19-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2006: A Look Forward To Fernando's Season

Kudos to Fernando for a great performance in 2005! Number 11 in the world, and 49 wins. Not shabby.

Time now to look forward...for Fernando and for us.

He has to rest, and then start working out, but there's a lot at stake in 2006.

He's #11, but he's got a lot of points to defend in 2006 starting with Auckland. Will he be able to defend them?

Is he going to be able to maintain his fitness level?

There is going to be a lot of pressure on him to get to the Top Ten by the press (and those of you who are new Fernando fans - wait until you see how crazed the press gets in Chile - top ten watch is an understatement) and by the fans. Will he be able to handle the pressure?

Let's discuss.

Last edited by NicoFan : 11-19-2005 at 09:16 PM.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2006: A Look Forward To Fernando's Season

For me, the most important thing is for him to be able to handle the pressure. After he did well in 2002, I don't think that he handled the extreme pressure of getting to the Top Ten well. He's older now though, and more mature, so I think that this time it will be easier. And he seems to have a solid team around him - Horacio, Carlos, and his sports psycholgist (who I hope travels with him again in 2006).

Hopefully the chilean press learned their lesson after making Fernando crazy about it, and then making Nico nuts about it. They seemed to be a little better.

But Fernando seems a little obsessed with getting the Top Ten so I'm a little worried about him.

Personally to me the Top Ten is just a number. With the depth in men's tennis, #20 is a great ranking. So as long as he stays in the top twenty, top fifteen, I'm happy.

Of course, I love Fernando so no matter where he's ranked, doesn't matter to me - I'd support him at #100.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
country flag NicoFan

Or let's not discuss...lol!

Or I'll discuss by myself...

I'm a little concerned about Auckland because next week would have been when he started to train for 2006. And since he had such amazingly long flights to and from Shanghai, he's going to have to take a couple weeks vacation. Which will put him behind schedule. I'm sure he'll be fine, but sometimes I admit, I wish he didn't go to Shanghai. I would rather have had him rested and ready to go in 2006.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute

NicoFan - great idea of creating this thread!

as you said - let's discuss ...

Firts of all this year was amazing for him! and I'm so happy about that!

now let's look to next year ... as you said he has a lot of points to defend and in the first tournament of the year so maybe he will be not at a 100% for Auckland ... actually some days ago I read an interview with Carlos Burgos and he said that maybe in Auckland he won't be too good but he said that he is sure that for the Australian Open Gonzo will be in an excelent form.
About the pressure of making it to the top ten ... here in Chile the press is a little bit annoying with that but I think the only thing Feña needs to do is just focus in playing his best tennis and doing that he will get the good results that he wants - and of course that we want too! - . Some months ago he said that he was not going to worry about the numbers and he was only going to focus in playing good and he did and all of us saw that it gave really good results! he must keep that line for next year and he will be able to achieve all of his goals
I'm really confident about next year, Gonzo is much more mature and he and Horacio seem to be working really well in his calendar for next year. I'm happy that at last Gonzo realized that he can have really good results on fast courts and that his game makes a lot more damage and he doesn't get too tired so that obviously will help a lot

what do you think ??? do you think is a good decision of playing more hardcourt than clay ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Of course, I love Fernando so no matter where he's ranked, doesn't matter to me - I'd support him at #100.
I completely agree with you NicoFan no matter where he is ranked he will always be my favorite player and I will always support him!

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis
All the chilean players and some others

"Just give 100 percent.
And that's not just in tennis or sports; that's in life.
If you give 100 percent, you'll have no regrets."
Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by GonzoFan : 04-16-2006 at 10:17 PM.
GonzoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoFan
what do you think ??? do you think is a good decision of playing more hardcourt than clay ???
Good guestion. Hard for me to answer because I love the clay court game - strategy and long rallies - rather than the serve/power game of hardcourts.

Everyone says that Fer has a hardcourt game - but I think he has an excellent clay game. He obviously has the power and the serve, but he's great on clay...knows how to set up the point and play the angles (maybe not as good as some of the top top clay players but still very very good).

On hardcourts, obviously he knows how to end the point early and hit the winner, but he can play too far back sometimes, especially on the second serve. And needs to work on his volleying - something that Horacio was trying to get him to work on during the summer, but it was so funny, Fer would still net the ball, and Horacio would swear his obviously favorite swear word...can't say it cuz there may be kids lurking...lol!

I think that he prefers hardcourts though. He likes ending the point early and being able to use power. I don't think that he likes the long clay rallies. Seems like he gets impatient with it.

Basically, he's excellent on both surfaces so he does well either on either.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that he prefers hardcourts though. He likes ending the point early and being able to use power. I don't think that he likes the long clay rallies. Seems like he gets impatient with it.

Basically, he's excellent on both surfaces so he does well either on either.
I think that's the reason why he maybe prefers hardcourts. He likes short points and also that's better for him, he needs so much energy because of the way he plays so on hardcourt, like I said before, he doesn't get too tired but on clay he has to spend more energy to finish the point

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis

"Just give 100 percent.
Lleyton Hewitt
Old 11-20-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
country flag FelipeMIA89

FelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah thats true, GONZO uses a lot of energy for the shots he takes. I think the perfect strategy for GONZO 2006 is:
1. Being in more hardcourt tournaments
2. Take some weeks off in the year
3. For him no to be in doubles that much..
4. Play his best!! for sho!! lol thats all we can ask
VAMOS 2006!
FelipeMIA89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #8
country flag GonzoFan

good point Felipe I think he definitely will need to take some weeks off - that's also the key for him to not get injured or too tired. But I think this year he did a pretty good job in that issue because remember that he took some time off after Montecarlo, after Wimbly, after Davis Cup, etc etc etc ... so I think he will do the same next year

"Just give 100 percent.
Lleyton Hewitt
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
country flag FelipeMIA89

FelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond reputeFelipeMIA89 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he does GonzoFan.. VAMOS!!
FelipeMIA89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
country flag olimpo

olimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond reputeolimpo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeMIA89
yeah thats true, GONZO uses a lot of energy for the shots he takes. I think the perfect strategy for GONZO 2006 is:
1. Being in more hardcourt tournaments
2. Take some weeks off in the year
3. For him no to be in doubles that much..
4. Play his best!! for sho!! lol thats all we can ask
VAMOS 2006!
First I want to say that I'm very happy about the great year Fernando has had in 2005 and hope that his best year is still to come.........And of course, I'll always support him no matter what.

I totally agree with you Felipe and GonzoFan about the time off as this has been in my opinion a very important part for his success this year. His game is so demanding that he needs a certain number of these breaks during the season to recover physically and mentally. When he took the first of these breaks in Spring this year we had a vital discussion on another board about it and not everyone agreed to my strong opinion about it that these breaks are absolutely necessary for him. And now after such a great year, the best by far in his career, and especially with such a successful Autumn when many players were struggling with fitness, injuries etc. (due to the cruel scheduling set by the ATP but this is another discussion) it's obvious that it was the right thing to do. And on top of it he was even able to win a match at the Masters Cup (basically it was 2 as we all know ) coming almost right off the plane after a 30 hours trip and having been already on vacation for 10 days. And it was not only his best year in his career it was also a what I would call an (almost) injury free year as he had to withdraw only from 1 tournament which was Buenos Aires but this was more precaution because he did not want to risk anything for the DC. Even without all the success an injury free year of my favourite player is always a good year for me and reason to be very happy.

As far as I’ve heard he’s going to take these breaks also next year and I think he said that he’s even going to play a little less than this year. If the ATP does not change anthing on the schedule the player has to take these decisions by himself as it's his body and his health.

To point 3, the doubles, it’s really hard to tell what the best is. I really hate it when he has to play doubles after playing a hard singles match just before and think that this is just too much sometimes and that he should focus on the singles, but when I look at the results of this year somehow the doubles seems to help him in his singles performance. Look at his 3 tournament wins and what he did in the doubles there: in Auckland he reached the semis, in Amersfoort he was also in the doubles final and in Basel he won both titles. So I totally trust in Fernando and his team to take the right decision about playing doubles and how often.

Here's to a great 2006 for him. Vamos Fernando!
olimpo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
country flag NicoFan

I'm going to play devil's advocate here...lol!

I'm not sure about playing less. Fernando played 23 tournaments this year. About average, a little less than average.

You can't look at the top players schedules, because they win the big ones...masters series events, grand slams, where the big points are. If you get 300-500 for a tournament, you can take some time off.

Unfortunately, Fernando doesn't win in the big ones. With the exception of Wimbledon, his record isn't exceptional in the big ones. And if you want to stretch it, maybe we can say Madrid was okay with getting to the QFs.

If Fernando wants to be in the Top Ten and stay there - not my objective for him, but his own - then he has to play at least these 23 tournaments. Maybe even 2-3 more.

Which will be hard for him to do because he does play a very physical game.

If he doesn't want to be in the Top Ten, then playing less is fine.

But that's my humble opinion, and as usual, I could be wrong.

And BTW - I'm not sure if I trust his judgment based on a couple things I saw with my own eyes this summer but that I shall remain silent about online!!!! And not sure how much he listens to Horacio - again things I saw with my own eyes over many many many days.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
country flag Conita

Conita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond reputeConita has a reputation beyond repute

hey every1!!!
i am most certainly looking foward for Feña's 2006 he will do better
i think it has little to do with the surface cause i believe gonzalez has got the talent to play anywhere i mean all 3 titles where in different surfaces and he got to the quarter-final in wimbledon so i think thats not a problem
and about playing less i think he did ok in that area, unlike other players who at the end of the season got either injured or really tired.
The big advantage he has got for 2006 is that he finished the year 11 so draws will be fairly easier, and that was a problem this year since he got Federer in the big tournaments.
and about playing in doubles, somehow i feel he is more motivated when he is playing double and singles but that's just an impression, however it does take a lot of energy :P
mmmmm i think for Gonzo to get into the top ten he needs to improve his return of serve i mean he can create those impossible shots i just think he should keep them more constant.
however it goes 2006 I know he will give his best like always!!

AGUANTE GONZALEZ!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #13
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Has Fena set his goals for 2006 yet?

I guess my biggest Fena goal is for him to make the top 10 so that he can have better draws next year. He had such bad luck running into my Swiss guy [Wimby, MCarlo, etc.] and he was playing well and could have gotten further.

Also, I hope that Fena can do well in the slams and TMSes, where he can gain as many points as possible.

But my most important goal is that Fena come to Toronto so I can see him practise, play and win!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:27 AM   #14
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or let's not discuss...lol!

Or I'll discuss by myself...

I'm a little concerned about Auckland because next week would have been when he started to train for 2006. And since he had such amazingly long flights to and from Shanghai, he's going to have to take a couple weeks vacation. Which will put him behind schedule. I'm sure he'll be fine, but sometimes I admit, I wish he didn't go to Shanghai. I would rather have had him rested and ready to go in 2006.
Yes, NicoFan, I agree w you.

It's too bad that AA didn't pull out of Shanghai earlier or not even go in the first place so that Fena could have had more time to think about going there and training properly for it instead of being told at the last minute without adequate preparation. Considering all that, he did quite well to win one match and take a set off Gaston. [that's our Osito ]

I think Fena did mention that this Shanghai business kind of throws off his preparation for Auckland, which is unfortunate. It w be fantastic if he could defend that title. But if he can't, he s try to do better at AO than this year, to make up points [that he could lose in Auckland].

As for the specifics of his tennis, I'm not too sure what Fena has to improve -- physically he seems better, fitter, not injured, which is good. He seems to play calmer or sth, I've noticed. Am I right?? Maybe someone can tell me. Sure he can hit the ball hard and go for his shots but Fena can also tap the ball lightly, w a deft touch too -- he can play w some finesse! I love his BH! Of course he can improve, as can all players, incl. Rogi and Rafa.

I just want Fena to continue to improve, do better in tourneys, win at least 3 titles next year and stay healthy.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88
As for the specifics of his tennis, I'm not too sure what Fena has to improve -- physically he seems better, fitter, not injured, which is good.
Feña still can be better, the next year he should win all the close matchs that he lost this year

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote