.::. David Interviews .::. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
country flag ~EMiLiTA~

~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow .::. David Interviews .::.

I know we have the news and articles thread but thought we could have a separate one just for interviews with him...

here is a recent one from Valencia, which i've translated for u...

- David, after the great year you've had, what are your goals for next year?
Well actually I don't plan on making any goals, so i'll try and play the same as this year, maintain the same level and then give 100% and try to do what i did this year or a bit more or less, I don't know

- Your coach is said to be very good, and apart from that, he's the coach of coaches
Well for me he's really good, more than just a coach, he's like my second father because i've been with him a long time and I value him a lot. I'm really happy with him and i hope he is with me too

- Something else people are talking about is that there is something special about Tennisval (Valencia tennis academy). What would you say is the key to the success?
Right now i'd say the key to the success is that there are very good coaches. There's Altur as well as Pancho Alvarińo who are 2 great professionals and they've shown it's their work, so lots of good up and coming people come, and also good players

- Answer a few personal questions for me *laughs*
Your favourite food

Paella (without hesitation)

- Favourite pass time
Go to Jávea, my town, and be with my family and friends

- Favourite place to holiday (or maybe I don't need to ask)
Jávea, only Jávea

- How are you going to spend Christmas?
With my family, like everyone else, in Jávea, and enjoy being with my family, as I am hardly able to see them and at this time of year it's always nice and i try to spend it with them

- And lastly, a suggestion and i hope you will make it a goal for next year...even though you already know what it is: HAVE A HIGHER OPINION OF YOURSELF
ok, ok *laughs*
~EMiLiTA~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .::. David Interviews .::.

Thanks so much for the interview and the translation EMiLiTA - David comes over as such a sweet and modest guy - very "grounded" and very close to his family - it's lovely

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
country flag ~EMiLiTA~

~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute~EMiLiTA~ has a reputation beyond repute

no worries Rosie! yeah, he does come across that way, and I can tell you from having met him several times, he is like that even in real life...one of the nicest guys I've met on the tour!
~EMiLiTA~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EMiLiTA~
no worries Rosie! yeah, he does come across that way, and I can tell you from having met him several times, he is like that even in real life...one of the nicest guys I've met on the tour!
Yes - I've met him a couple of times too - and he always seems nice - though I've never had a "proper" conversation with him yet if you know what I mean - just very basic stuff. He always seems very down-to-earth though - which is good, and I really hope he can win a big tournament in 2006.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
country flag LaTenista

LaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it would make sense if you travel the world all year doing your job, you'd obviously want to spend your holiday with your family in your hometown. Of course for me it's the exact opposite, even though I don't live in my hometown anymore, it's only 16 miles away so I can go back any day I want. Just the other day I realized this is the first year since 1995 that haven't travelled or lived abroad - no wonder I've been feeling a bit off.

I learned to make paella this year. I also do flan from a Jello mix.
Titles: 2005 - PAW Washington 2006 - PTS Marseille, TT Miami Doubles(w/coreyschucky), TT Tokyo Singles 2007 - TT Hamburg Doubles(w/SarettaFan) 2008 - TT Indianapolis Singles Finalist: 2005 - PAW Montreal & Bucharest 2006 - TT Acapulco Singles & Doubles(w/Iza), TT Houston Doubles(w/robrulz5), PTS Monte Carlo, TT Barcelona Doubles(w/Peta Pan), TT Newport Doubles(w/adee-gee), PAW Umag 2007 - TT Queen's Singles & Doubles(w/SarettaFan), TT Champaign Doubles(w/TommyB.) 2008 - TT Auckland Doubles(w/invu2day), TT Recanati Singles, TT Newport Doubles(w/sploush), TT Indianapolis Doubles(w/sploush)
Nadal Moyá Ferrer Verdasco Puerta Cańas Andreev Safin
Roddick Blake Salzenstein Delic DeHeart
Montcourt Gasquet Mathieu Serra Simon Santoro
LaTenista is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
country flag FerrersLinda

FerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond repute

My student didn't show up this morning, so had time to check in quickly, kinda p'd off about her not showing, and what a treat ......I find this little interview!

Thanks!!
FerrersLinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Sue

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely interview....bless him! Love the way the interviewer tells him to * have a better opinion of yourself* and David laughs! Thanks for sharing Emilita!
Sue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
country flag LaTenista

LaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond reputeLaTenista has a reputation beyond repute

D. FERRER/O. Rochus
6‑7, 7‑6, 7‑5
An interview with:

DAVID FERRER

THE MODERATOR: I will translate for David, so if you have questions in English first.

Q. Can you just give us your thoughts on the match, initial thoughts, reactions.

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). It was a very hard match and probably the tightest match I've ever played in my life.

Q. What made him such a tough opponent?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Good question. This is the first time that I beat him. The other times I had lost to him.

Q. Didn't you beat him in the French in 2004?

DAVID FERRER: Yeah, two years ago. But this year I lost two times with him.

Q. What was different this year, the two times you faced him this year you lost in straight sets?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I mean, this time I was more consistent and more concentrating on the big points. Obviously, I mean, like every match is different so it's difficult to compare.

Q. But what is it about Rochus' game that gives you a little trouble?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Because he's a very good player. He has a very, very high level.

I think he will be like Top 15, Top 20.

Q. Such a long match. Can you talk about how you felt physically and the matchpoint, it was a great end to the match. You set up the matchpoint well, came in, had a nice volley.

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Yeah, I mean, obviously it was a very, very hard match. In the end, you really need to take your chance to win these kind of matches and that's what I told myself to do, and I did it.

Q. He was visibly frustrated after the first set, snapped his racquet and then the crowd was kind of whistling. He lifted up his hand like encouraging a little bit. Can you talk about that.

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). No, that's stuff that happens in tennis. I broke my racquet because I was nervous. That was not the first time and it's not going to be the last time.

Q. Was he hurting at all, any parts of his body? It looked like Rochus was champing. How was he physically?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Obviously, we were both very tired. I didn't have cramps, I was just having the beginning of cramps. Obviously, I was asking for the trainer because I really needed to rest and get ready for the game.

Q. You're the No. 2 player, Spanish player. Are the Spanish players very close? Are you guys all friends, or is there a deep competition between you?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). No, we are a good group. We get along very well. I don't know anybody that doesn't get along with another player in the Spanish group.

Q. I am wondering about Nadal. I know he is the big name now. He is the No. 1 in Spain. Is it hard for you to have recognition at home with him, and with Moya being a force and a former No. 1?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). No, absolutely not. I mean, it's great for Spanish tennis to have Nadal at the top. The more players we have such as Nadal, the better it will be.

Q. You're facing Roddick, Andy Roddick next. Can you talk about Andy. I think you've played him once.

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I played against him in Paris Bercy last year. Obviously, he's a very good player. He serves very well. He's a very complete player so I will have to be concentrated throughout the match.

Q. Sunday is your birthday.

DAVID FERRER: Yes, 2 of April.

Q. How nice would that be, to be playing on Sunday? What kind of birthday present would that be?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). If I play Sunday in the final, I invite all of you out for dinner (smiling).

Q. Also, I know you've won, I guess, one career title, right, in Bucharest. It's been a long time. You must be very consistent because you're ranked very highly. How important is it for you in your career to win, to go all the way and win more titles?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Obviously, that's what we all fight for, to win titles. I haven't won for like five years, but this is what I'm trying to do this week.

Q. I know that you read a lot of books still. What was the last book you read, and what did you think of it?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). The last book by Dan Brown, "Digital Fortress."

Q. What did you think of it?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I like it, it's a little bit like The Code. I like it.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...
Titles: 2005 - PAW Washington 2006 - PTS Marseille, TT Miami Doubles(w/coreyschucky), TT Tokyo Singles 2007 - TT Hamburg Doubles(w/SarettaFan) 2008 - TT Indianapolis Singles Finalist: 2005 - PAW Montreal & Bucharest 2006 - TT Acapulco Singles & Doubles(w/Iza), TT Houston Doubles(w/robrulz5), PTS Monte Carlo, TT Barcelona Doubles(w/Peta Pan), TT Newport Doubles(w/adee-gee), PAW Umag 2007 - TT Queen's Singles & Doubles(w/SarettaFan), TT Champaign Doubles(w/TommyB.) 2008 - TT Auckland Doubles(w/invu2day), TT Recanati Singles, TT Newport Doubles(w/sploush), TT Indianapolis Doubles(w/sploush)
Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 AM   #10

FerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview Isa. Let's hope David get's to take all these guys out for dinner.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
Sue

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the interview Isa........he said he'd take the journalists out to dinner if he played in the final? Maybe if he WINS the final he can extend that invitation to his fans too ;-))
Old 03-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
Thanks for posting the interview Isa........he said he'd take the journalists out to dinner if he played in the final? Maybe if he WINS the final he can extend that invitation to his fans too ;-))
Sounds like a nice idea. What to get David for his b-day?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
Sue

Hmmm.....*scratches head*.......English lessons ?
;-)
Old 03-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
Hmmm.....*scratches head*.......English lessons ?
;-)
I like it.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:07 AM   #15
country flag LaTenista

D. FERRER/A. Roddick
6-3, 4-6, 6-4

An interview with:

DAVID FERRER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Part of your plan today was to take Andy's serve very early, inside the baseline sometimes. Was this effective for you today, do you think?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I do it all the time, not only against Andy. I return serve inside the baseline.

It was a very technical game today. I knew that I had to be ready and play well the big points.

Q. Were you surprised to win the first set?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I wasn't surprised that I won the first set. I knew that it was a complicated match, like all the others. But the only other time we played I lost 7-6 in the third against him in Paris-Bercy.

Q. In the last three or four years you've been primarily a clay court player, but now this year you have played no clay court matches. You could have gone to clay but you've chosen to play hard courts up to this point. Is that because you wanted to get better on the hard courts?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). On the last two years I didn't play too badly on hard courts, so this year we decided to change my schedule a little bit because if you want to go higher in the rankings you have to play well on all surfaces.

Q. Can you talk about your speed a little bit. He seemed frustrated in trying to get anything past you. How well do you think your speed translates from the clay to the hard court?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). That's my way of playing. I've always been quick on the court. Obviously, I can understand that that can frustrate him, but I get frustrated when he serves well. So everybody has got his weapon, and it's always been my game. I've always been very quick on the court.

My game is very physical.

Q. When you were broken late in the third set, the way Andy was serving so well, it looked like he was going to win the match. What was your level of concern at that point?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). Yes, I mean, because when you lose your serve against Roddick, you know it's going to be difficult to break him again.

But I didn't lose my faith. At 4-All, when he served a double-fault on the first point, it kind of helped me.

Q. Andy likes to play very deep behind the baseline during the point. Does this play into your favor during the long rallies?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I really don't know how to answer this one, because I try to play my own game. Obviously, he likes to play behind the baseline, so I can't really answer the question if it helped me that he was playing well behind the baseline.

Q. How do you exploit Andy's backhand, which is not his strong shot?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I think that both his forehand and backhand are good shots. The way I try to play, I obviously try to insist on his backhand to open up the court and then finish on his forehand side.

Q. Do you feel like Andy has been struggling? He has said even that he's struggling this season. Do you feel that he's the same player that you played today as he was before?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I can't really answer that question. Maybe he's in a better position than me.

Maybe today neither one of us played the perfect game. Like I said, it was a very tactical game out there today. Maybe you're saying he's going through a bad patch, but everybody does. And who knows, I mean, maybe next week he can win Wimbledon. I'm sure he will win titles again.

Q. In the third set today, the sideline linesman got up from his chair, went to the chair umpire and complained that you were being coached from the stands. How can the linesman, looking at the court, know who's saying anything from the stands?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). I don't really understand because, you know, he was saying like, "Vamos," "Venga," "Come on," trying to encourage me. That's not really coaching. Maybe the umpire himself, he can hear that himself and he could cover that.

Q. Can you comment on the strength of the Spanish players these days. Rafael, obviously doing so well. What do you think you are doing differently in training?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). It's been this way for quite some time. We've had good players for quite a long time.

It's not like we're doing anything different right now. We also have a very good young player coming through the ranks now, Carlos Boluda. Maybe he's not gonna be as good as Rafa, but he's very promising as well.

Q. In your mind do you consider yourself to be the No. 2 Spanish player right now, regardless of the ranks?

DAVID FERRER: (Through translation). No, I can't consider myself as the No. 2 player in Spain. There are a lot of good players as well like Robredo, Moya, Ferrero. So it's really difficult to consider myself.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

I am going to be trained as an English instructor the next two weeks so once I've completed it I will gladly help David become fluent. And I won't even charge him.