Hewitt extremely underrated? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
country flag Liverpool4ever

Liverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hewitt extremely underrated?

This is my first post on this forum and so i would like to say hello to everyone.

Personally I am not much of a Hewitt fan, but I feel that perhaps due to his on court behaviour he is often dismissed unfairly. An example of this would be for those, who live in the UK, Barry Cowan and Flemming both discarding his chances of winning the US open. However, when you analyse the slam results this year Hewitt is second only to Federer. At the Australian open he defeated Nadal (although it was in 5 sets) and only lost to an on form Safin on his best surface, which is perhaps one of the hardest matches in the history of the game. At Wimbledon and the US only Federer could stop him at the semis and we all know the match up problems Hewitt has with Federer. It is my humble opinion that Hewitt is the immediate favourite for any slam (obviously not the French) following a Federer injury or elimination. I would even go as far as to say that at the moment Hewitt can lay claim to being the second best player in the world despite Nadal's 11 titles.

I know that this is strictly hypothetical, but I believe that had Hewitt played in any previous era, he would have amassed a career to rival that of Conners and Agassi at the and maybe even someone like Borg.

Does anyone else feel that Hewitt is becoming an overlooked great of tennis.
Liverpool4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
country flag etiage

etiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond reputeetiage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hewitt extremely underrated?

i don't think anyone is underestimating hewitt. most know what he can do, it's just that at this point in time, tennis on the men's side is viewed as who can challenge federer consistently, esp. at the big ones, and hewitt is usually not viewed as one of them.

i think people are thinking: federer, then marat, nadal, and the younger guys
etiage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
country flag Liverpool4ever

Liverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Etiage that if you are talking about, who could beat federer then the list is as follows Marat, Nadal etc. However, i don't think that is the way tennis will go. Federer is my favourite player, but he has just had the two greatest consecitive years in tennis history. It seems far more likely that he will experience a dip in form at some point or hopefully not an injury to keep him out of a slam. Even Sampras had a dip in 96. I just can't see Federer keeping up the same level of dominance and he will probably experience a few losses in early rounds.

If that is the case, who is going to stop Hewitt, he leads Nadal 3-0, Nalbandian 3-1 and has not played the any of the other young guns. Federer cannot dominate forever and though Hewitt can't dominate federer he can definately beat every other player on tour.
Liverpool4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #4
country flag wcr

wcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughtful analysis, Liverpool. Hewitt reminds me more of the likes of Michael 'step-n-fetch-it' Chang. Hewitt's got more bite in his game and, in the end, it's still all about the wheels and not about any weapons.

Hewitt's no Conners or Agassi. He's managed to distract himself from his game in his prime years, more than once. Odds are against his winning another GS title as only one man in the open era with a child has done it - Agassi. Just think about who they chose to be their spouse. Bec is no Steffi.

Hewitt's careless; with this talent, with his temper and with his focus.

Last edited by wcr : 12-05-2005 at 12:49 AM.
wcr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
country flag Federerthebest

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute

He is the second-best player in the world on surfaces other than clay.

People rave on rave on about Nadal's 11 titles but how many top players did Nadal have to beat in order to win those titles? He has not had to face Safin or Roddick, nor has he had to face Hewitt apart from the Australian Open five-set loss, which people proclaim to be an impressive result for Nadal, forgetting the fact that Hewitt was injured in that match and for a large portion of it could barely even move properly. Most of Nadal's titles have come through the absence of top-tier players. Nadal deserves to be in the top five, but it's questionable as to whether his number-two ranking really reflects his ability. And apart from Nadal, Hewitt has the most consistently-excellent results.

Hewitt will win more grand slams, I don't think that deserves worrying about; I suspect that sooner or later he will turn the tide against Federer.
Federerthebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

No one's underestimating Hewitt. For him, the off-court distractions prove to be a greater challenge than the on-court ones.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #7
country flag thelma

thelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond reputethelma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool4ever
If that is the case, who is going to stop Hewitt, he leads Nadal 3-0, Nalbandian 3-1 and has not played the any of the other young guns. Federer cannot dominate forever and though Hewitt can't dominate federer he can definately beat every other player on tour.

C'mon Lleyton
thelma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 AM   #8
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

no, not underrated, overrated.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #9
country flag gsm

gsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr
still all about the wheels and not about any weapons.

"not about any weapons"...

what about;

- return of serve
- lob
- passing shot
- bh down the line
gsm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #10
country flag gsm

gsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond reputegsm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
No one's underestimating Hewitt.
its.like.that is
gsm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 AM   #11
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone goes in playing him thinking they can play less than 100 per cent and win
R.Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool4ever
If that is the case, who is going to stop Hewitt, he leads Nadal 3-0, Nalbandian 3-1 and has not played the any of the other young guns.
So what. Squillari leads Federer 2-0.

Last edited by shotgun : 12-05-2005 at 01:47 AM.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 AM   #13
country flag wcr

wcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm

"not about any weapons"...

what about;

- return of serve
- lob
- passing shot
- bh down the line
Can you name a player in the top 10/20/30 ... that can't hit any of the four shots you just listed?

Hewitt's made the most of everything he's got but his strengths are his feet and his determination which is now even more suspect.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #14
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

And yet playing as limited a schedule as he has, he's put in the second most consistant major results, behind only Roger, and finished the year ranked number 4.

Not bad for someone with no weapons and suspect dedication.
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
country flag wcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman
And yet playing as limited a schedule as he has, he's put in the second most consistant major results, behind only Roger, and finished the year ranked number 4.

Not bad for someone with no weapons and suspect dedication.
Hewitt gets side tracked by battles with the ATP. Comes back and finishes the 2005 ranked number 4 and then has a baby. Maybe he likes monumental challenges. Will he defy the odds and come back and play even better with Bec and baby travelling at his side? Perhaps but I don't see the odds in his favor.

Last edited by wcr : 12-05-2005 at 01:56 AM.