Exhibitions! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exhibitions!

Thanks for the pics and report, Jime.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I just posted this translation in Gastón's forum, but I thought you might enjoy reading it.
Btw, thanks Jazz for posting all thoise pics!

I didn't get to see the match, but I read all the reports and they seem to have had a great time. David said both he and Gastón haven't touched a racquet these past two weeks, but that they will start training after this exhibition, presumably on Wednesday.

Of all the accounts of the matches yesterday, I translated this one:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=387866

Sunday 4 December 2005

LIKE IN THE GOOD OLD (AND NEW) DAYS

Guillermo Vilas, José Luis Clerc, Gastón Gaudio and David Nalbandian took part in a feast of Argentine tennis.

Four giants: Gaudio, Vilas, Nalbandian and Clerc

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) – Buenos Aires’s Luna Park enjoyed our best tennis once more. Not officially, of course, but the fact that it was an exhibition was no obstacle for an enjoyable Sunday evening.

The cup, named after Guillermo Vilas, was meant as a homage to the country’s best-ever player and his eternal local rival and friend, José Luis Clerc. This event was also intended to distinguish Gastón Gaudio and David Nalbandian, recent champions of the two most important championships for Argentina (Roland Garros 2004 and the Masters Cup 2005, respectively).

In the Luna Park, full to 80% of its capacity, Vilas and Clerc recalled old times playing a mini-match to the best of three tie breaks.

The two appeared dressed in black shirts, a good colour to hide those few extra kilos that come with the years. However, right from the start they both demonstrated that they’re in good shape.

In spite of the “friendly”character of the match, they took it pretty seriously, especially Vilas who seemed to be more concentrated than “Batata”, undoubtedly the entertainer of the show.
……………………………………….

WHAT PAIRS !

Gaudio-Vilas facing Nalbandian-Clerc were the high-class pairs who opened the mini-doubles. It was all humour, camaraderie, applause. The points were an excuse to have fun and for the public to have fun also.

People clamoured for a “Great Willy”and Gaudio was the first to attempt it, although unsuccessfully. With quick reflexes, Clerc sent the ball over to Vilas who brought off the shot named after him, and the stadium roared.

The first tie break was 7-4 for Vilas-Gaudio, and the second 7-5 for Vilas-Nalbandian.

After that came a duel between generations: Vilas-Clerc defied Gaudio-Nalbandian, but with the condition that they should play with the racquets in use in the 70s.

Joke or no joke, the truth is that the young Argentine players just couldn’t do a thing with the old racquets, to such an extent that when they were 5-0 down they got their own racquets back and thus managed to even the score. Finally, and in spite of the resistance shown by the legends, the time machine favoured Gaudio and Nalbandian.

CHAMPIONS CHALLENGE

After this enjoyable exhibition the 2004 Roland Garros champion and the owner of the 2005 Masters Cup went out to compete for the Champions Challenge Cup.

Even though the relaxed atmosphere continued, an entertaining match could be enjoyed. David Nalbandian won the trophy 6-4 7-5.

They both displayed showy tennis, with a fast and intense baseline game. The man from Córdoba dominated with his serve and reached 5-2 in the first set. Even though the Gato improved, he was broken again at 4-5 and Nalbandian took the set.

The second set continued much the same. With lots of smiles and no pressure, they kept up an even match. Gaudio was 5-4 with his serve, and it seemed as if the match would even out (which would have been fair in view of what was happening on the court). However, Nalbandian recuperated the break, reached 5-5 and didn’t need a tie break.

It all ended festively and in great good form. On Monday the exhibition will commence officially with the participation of the Chilean Fernando González and the American James Blake (now Taylor Dent) besides Gaudio and Nalbandian.

Argentine tennis lived a feast day, surrounded by memories and the sweet flavour of past and present talent. Undoubtedly it’s all to the good for Argentina to have Vilas and Clerc together, and both of them united for the good of national tennis. Welcome.
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #18
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the article and the translation Vale.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #19
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Great pix, jazz! Yes, it does look like lots of fun! I think it's great for these guys to play for fun and for their fans!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
country flag Florencia

Florencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, Just another comment about the exhibition and David. This is an objective comment since I am actually a Gaudio fan.

I went to the exhibition and I was really impressed by David's attitude towards his fans.

At the end of the exhibition, some fans were waiting at the door to see the players' departure. When David went out, he was really nice to his fans. Even though a car was waiting for him, he kindly signed every single authograph and accepted to be photographed with each of them.

It was really remarkable.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #21
country flag Eugenia

Eugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday's exhibition was great! I enjoyed it so much (I couldn't go to the Luna Park, but I was watching it in TV) and it was really funny!!! Of course, Vilas, Clerc, Gaudio and Nalbandian are the best argentinian players of all-time!
I can't wait to watch them today!

♥ Gaston Gaudio ♥ Juan Mónaco ♥ Eduardo Schwank ♥
♥ Horacio Zeballos ♥ Chucho Acasuso ♥ Federico Delbonis ♥
♥ Leonardo Mayer ♥ Facundo Arguello ♥ Agustin Velotti ♥

Missing: Guillermo Coria ♥ Guillermo Cañas ♥ Mariano Zabaleta ♥ Agustin Calleri ♥ Mariano Puerta ♥ Emiliano & Edgardo Massa ♥ Diego Hartfield ♥
Also good luck to Marat Safin, Tomas Berdych, Pablo Cuevas, Paul Henri-Mathieu and Richard Gasquet!
Eugenia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #22
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the Luna Park yesterday and had a great time!!!! Though the first match was really boring (Gaudio vs feña). it looked like Gastón didn't feel like playing tennis, and it showed in a dull match. At first the people were all with Gaudio, but then they gave an ovation to Feña because he played some great tennis and made a nice show. Then, David. The crowd was all with him and he loved it. he might be stiff or whatever, but we were all commenting on how well he was playing! I got to see him live against Dent, and I was amaze by his game and mind tool. He looks different, and even though it was an exhibition after all, the match was great with some high-level points.
At the end of the match, David stayed and signed lots of autographs. I didn't ask him for one, but I was glad to see him so happy among his fans.
I took some pics, but the quality is not the best, so I'll see if they're worth uploading...
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #23
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to know you had a good time.
And even more glad to know that he's playing well, and is happy.
You should have asked for an autograph, damn it! No, I'm kiding. I had some opportunities to get one, as well, but never did...and regret it sometimes.
Would love to see some of those pics.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the Olé article:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1102824
David is a winner

Later, was the turn for the big ovation of the night, Master, was the word repeated in most cheers for David. Like a racket master, he was almost flawless even though he didn't started training for the 2006 season. Dent didn't do anything but smile every time he lost at the net. David laughed, and surprised himself. With his wife Peng, Willy Vilas applauded with admiration. "He's huge, it's so good to be able to enjoy him here", commented Eduardo Romero, cordobes and friend of David. The end came and the warm hug of Dent to David. "It was hard to get into the rythm, I was far to feeling in the best state. I still lack practice", said the one from Unquillo. Imagine how he's gonna play being trained then!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #25
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
Part of the Olé article:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pag...?pagId=1102824
David is a winner

Later, was the turn for the big ovation of the night, Master, was the word repeated in most cheers for David. Like a racket master, he was almost flawless even though he didn't started training for the 2006 season. Dent didn't do anything but smile every time he lost at the net. David laughed, and surprised himself. With his wife Peng, Willy Vilas applauded with admiration. "He's huge, it's so good to be able to enjoy him here", commented Eduardo Romero, cordobes and friend of David. The end came and the warm hug of Dent to David. "It was hard to get into the rythm, I was far to feeling in the best state. I still lack practice", said the one from Unquillo. Imagine how he's gonna play being trained then!
That's great to know. Thanks Jazz.
Can't wait for next season to begin.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report Jazz.

I think if I keep reading reports like that, I'm going to get way too excited and it'll seem like forever until next season begins.
(Must keep reminding myself not to pay too much attention to exhibition results )

Last edited by krystlel : 12-06-2005 at 11:39 AM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #27
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to read that you had a great time Jazz.
You deserve it!
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #28
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

wow thanks for the reports, Jazz and Vale. Have fun in the rest of the exhibition Jazz and I think Gaston will feel more like playing tennis when he plays David ( aren't they playing today?)
I just can't wait for the Australian open...
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #29
country flag reiko

reiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond repute

Found a clip of the exhibition (fun part) and thought you David's Girls also would love it:

http://deportes.planetatv.com/player...-2DA289D248B0}

Thanks everyone for the info, report, etc.
Special thanks to Jazz for the pics..
reiko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #30
country flag jazz_girl

Thanks a lot for the link Reiko!!!