2006 Tournaments - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #106
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2006 Tournaments

He won his first match 7-5, 6-1. 2 more to go for the main draw, the second round is later today.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #107
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

he is back
not expecting too much, but MD would be niceeeeeee
Old 07-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #108
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

He won his second match 6-3, 6-1 in under an hour. Yay!

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #109
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to hear that he's coming out and playing so well!
============
Gambill Routs Huey As Comeback Gathers Steam

By Melanie Ho
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 30, 2006; E04

On one side of the blue hard court was a 20-year old from Alexandria, a junior at the University of Virginia who competes in USTA Futures events. On the other side was a 29-year old from Colbert, Wash., who at one point was called the future of American tennis by Pete Sampras.

When Jan-Michael Gambill defeated Treat Huey, 6-1, 6-3, in the second round of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic qualifier at William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center, their career trajectories briefly intersected.

Huey's career has taken steady, linear steps. First at St. Stephen's/St. Agnes High School in Alexandria where he was an All-Met three years in a row. He has been in the qualifier for the past three years.

Gambill has had a much rockier road. He peaked at No. 14 in the world in 2001, but is now 393rd. His first qualifying match -- a 7-5, 6-1 win over Karan Rastogi -- was the first he had completed in eight months since shredding tendons in his right shoulder. The injury, which did not require surgery but necessitated a lengthy period away from tennis, was particularly damaging, if only because one of Gambill's strength is his serve. He is resolved to make a comeback.

"I made my way the first time I played, I'll make my way again," Gambill said. "It's a little weird coming to a tournament where I was on the poster before, I was one of the guys promoting the tournament and now I'm just in the qualifying.

"My game is serving big, I can't really just go out there and serve small and win. I have to play the way I have to play and have fun with it."

Gambill took just 58 minutes to win the match, in part relying on his serve. His experience was evident in his shot placement. At 2-all in the second set and facing break point, Huey came to the net and thought Gambill wouldn't be able to return a drop shot. Gambill scrambled and hit a cross-court winner.

"He just blew me off the court," Huey said. "He was definitely returning unbelievable. I wasn't serving terrible, I knew I'd have to put a little more in my second serve. I put a lot on my second serve but he was still moving inside the court and taking it early and moving pretty well."

Though winning two matches in one day is a small victory, Gambill must defeat Andrea Stoppini today if he hopes to move into the tournament's main draw. Four qualifiers will enter the main draw, which begins tomorrow.

The two players granted wild cards as a part of the USTA junior clay nationals did not advance past their first match. Marcus Fugate lost, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, to Jordan Kerr; Ishay Hadash beat 16-year-old Brennan Boyajian, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #110
country flag Fee

Thanks for this Deb.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #111
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

W00T two wins & an article Thanks Deb... and thanks JMG!
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #112
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see Jan-Michael back on court and winning, hopefully he beats Stoppini and makes it to the main draw.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #113
country flag Fee

Jan-Mike lost a very close match to Stoppini 6-7, 5-7. It was thisclose right up until that very last game. Stoppini served very well and JMG hardly had a look at his serve in the second set. But, I'm please that he played 3 full matches in a row, for the first time since last October. I think this is definitely a big step in the right direction for him.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #114
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely Fee, that's a tight one. I had a feeling (unfortunately) Stoppini might be too much, I saw him play not long ago. But yes, good work this week and it means a little recovery time now for JMG.
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 AM   #115
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I took some photos today but only one came out okay. I was too far away (hiding from the sun)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gambill.jpg (43.6 KB, 13 views)

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:34 AM   #116
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Gambill Is Done In By Double Faults
Stoppini Advances in Legg Mason

By Melanie Ho
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 31, 2006; E05

In the end, his greatest strength let him down. Facing match point in a Legg Mason Tennis Classic qualifying match, Jan-Michael Gambill was serving to push the second set to a tiebreak. And then he double-faulted.

Gambill, who had 10 aces against Andrea Stoppini, had a service speed of as high as 135 mph, but Gambill, who is coming off an eight-month layoff from tennis, also had five double faults in the match, which Stoppini won, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5, at William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center.

"I served really well in the first set and beginning of the second set," Gambill said. "I started to bring my head down a little bit and do some things that are poor fundamentally in the second part of it in the second set."

The basis for the entire match was the serve. Though Stoppini, a 26-year old from Roverto, Italy, does not have as big a serve as Gambill, both were able to place their serves well throughout the match. Stoppini finished with 14 aces.

"We played well, and also him, he served very well," Stoppini said. "Unfortunately, it wasn't a match that turned in his favor. I served well, I had lots of aces, so I'm happy."

Also evident of the match's reliance on the serve were the number of converted break chances. Gambill had only two chances to break Stoppini's serve and Stoppini was successful just once in his seven chances. Of course, that single conversion was what allowed Stoppini to take the match.

Gambill felt that his return of serve was what proved to be problematic. He used to call his return of serve one of his greatest strengths but since his return to tennis from a shoulder injury, Gambill felt that his movements were slower.

"I'm missing some shots I shouldn't be missing because my feet just aren't moving, not getting into position like I need to. I'm not really returning very well like I used to," Gambill said. "My first step's a little slow on the return so I could have gotten a few more of those back. That's one thing I'm a little disappointed in."

While Stoppini will next face Paul Goldstein today in the tournament's main draw, Gambill will return to his home in Hawaii, saying that he wasn't sure what tournaments he would next play.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 07-31-2006, 04:46 AM   #117
country flag Fee

Thanks for this article Deb. Interesting to see Jan-Mike mention his return and his footwork. I was watching his WTT match today on OLN (the one where he beat Pete) and two of my observations were that he needs to improve his footwork and get his return back. His groundies looked pretty solid, he looks physically stronger than ever, and his volleys are still pretty mediocre, but I can the beginning of the skills that are going to get him back in the Top 100 (if his health allows). I just wonder how he felt physically today after playing two full matches yesterday since that's the most tennis he's played in 8 months. I have a feeling he's a bit disappointed after today, but all I can think about are the positives from this weekend.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:33 AM   #118
country flag Deboogle!.

It seems like a good sign that he was serving at 135mph, that should mean his shoulder is doing well. Hopefully the other things will come back when he gets more matches in

Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #119
country flag Deboogle!.

Well Andy pulled out and JMG got the lucky loser spot, so he's straight into the 2nd round and will play Tipsarevic on Wed. I guess.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 AM   #120
country flag Fee

Oh no... I was hoping he would get that LL spot, but I really thought Tursunov would pull to rest up for the Masters next week. I did not want JMG in because Andy is out .