*+*+*+* Kicking Off 2006: Davis Cup QF *+*+*+* - Page 52 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #766
country flag zimzim

zimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *+*+*+* Kicking Off 2006: Davis Cup QF *+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite
The three best matches he has played this year have all been DC matches. Some said that the Haas match was the best DC match they watched in a while and some said that the Safin match was the best match of 2006 so far.

It's obvious how much he loves DC and playing for his country. He was in horrible form coming into both ties but he fought really hard in all 3 matches. Sometimes, matches like these can affect a player's career (I have to bring up Paul-Henri "" Mathieu and the DC 2002 final ). His reaction to these two losses will be important. I just hope they don't break him.
You're right cos the Davis Cup can make or break a player...let's hope it doesn't break him.
zimzim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #767
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzim
I don't think he lacked mental toughness in these matches...I'll say he surprised me a bit cos he came up with the goods when his back was aginst the wall. The part of his game that worried me the most was his return of serve. I don't know why he wasn't agressive on second serve returns...he just kept chipping the balls back instead of the aggressive returns, and to be quite honest his return of serve was very good last year...it was almost one of his weapons, I don't know if his trying a change of techinque but it wasn't working out for him, and I kept hoping he'll stop the chip returns. Also I noticed he made a lot of errors on his backhand side, and this made him too cautious, and he was hitting his backhhand too short cos he was afraid of errors, and this was a major hadicap as his backhand is his main weapon...this made him less agressive.
In the Safin match, he gave up once he got broken in the fifth. He sort of admitted later that Marat's serving was too good and he knew that once he got broken, it was the end. In this match, he had BP on Tursunov's serve but couldn't convert. He was the first to blink in the end too.

Yeah. His serve has more or less returned after being horrible for most of the year but his return has seen AWOL since the beginning of the year. He needs to find his rhythm on it again.

As I noted after the Haas match, it was his FH that helped him immensely in that match. His BH has yet to reach last year's standard so far this year...
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #768
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

of course no one would like to see that Richard lost his confident from these two cruel matches i didnt think it that seriously. i think Richard also knows it is not him who would not fight up. to tell the truth, the Russian guys own the big weapons even though they would make some big mistakes from time to time while they are really tough. esp they have the same passions for DC as our French guys.

agree to you all. as for today's match, he had really chances on Dima's serve, while we cant put all pressure on him. he must be sad but dont be that disappointed pls, to fight with Russian guys just like to do that in final.

now, Richard has lost to almost all the Russian guys: Igor, Davy, Marat, Dima.... just wish that not be the fade in front of him
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #769
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the results Of course its disappointing for Richard to lose two five set matches this weekend, but at least Richard gave it his all for the most part in both matches. I am worried that this could possibly hurt Richard in the next few months because of how devastating these losses were and also how many points he has to defend in the coming months. I'm proud to call myself a Richard fan though and I will continue to stick by him no matter how many more matches he losses. Hopefully, Eric will sit down and talk to Richard about improving his return game and being more aggressive on 2nd serves.

Well done to the Russians though who deserved this. I wouldn't actually mind them winning the entire thing along as they don't have to play the US next round. Great tie and it was nice seeing the photos of them celebrating.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #770
country flag Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, that is sad - two five-set losses in a row, but especially in Davis Cup. Well, undoubtedly Safin is a monster on this surface (and at five set matches), and Tursunov has a good five-set record, too, so credit to his opponents. I was hoping for a French Davis Cup victory this year, but Russia (vs Argentina in the finals?) will be nice, too.

Anyway, I hope Richard can bounce back from this, the clay season is obviously imperative to maintain his ranking. Good luck, allez, etc.!

I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #771
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet4Richard
I'm proud to call myself a Richard fan though and I will continue to stick by him no matter how many more matches he losses.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #772
country flag Daniela_CABJ

Daniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond reputeDaniela_CABJ has a reputation beyond repute

poor Richard

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

*LINK TO RICHARD GASQUET OFFICIAL WEBSITE*

TOMÁŠ BERDYCH
Daniela_CABJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #773
country flag Surgza

Surgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond reputeSurgza has a reputation beyond repute

Our poor boy Hope he's not doing too bad. But I am 100% confident that he will bounce back from this - he has great support all around him and, hell, if he recovers from two lost matches of five sets vs Russians you can get through anything!!! I hope he knows that many people are proud of him.

And we must remember that he's only 19 yrs old -- he has so much to learn and to sound as cliched as anything , this is gonna be a pretty big "learning experience for him". Allez Richard!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Richie Paulo Edouard

Now let's all get drunk and play ping-pong!

Surgza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #774
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite
It's obvious how much he loves DC and playing for his country. He was in horrible form coming into both ties but he fought really hard in all 3 matches. Sometimes, matches like these can affect a player's career (I have to bring up Paul-Henri "" Mathieu and the DC 2002 final ). His reaction to these two losses will be important. I just hope they don't break him.
I couldn't see any of his two DC matches so I don't know what to think about all this.
Silver, do you really think these losses could affect him in his career? I mean, I have read everywhere that he fought hard. And it was not a choke (like Paulo/Youzhny). So, let's hope it won't affect him. He has a lot of things to improve and is still young but I am sure he will have the mental to suceed.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #775
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

Richie fought hard in both his matches. He did all he could do for his country and thats all anyone can ask of him. Tho Richie lost both of his singles rubbers he should be proud of his fight and determination.

I hope he brings this great play into the clay court season.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #776
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
I couldn't see any of his two DC matches so I don't know what to think about all this.
Silver, do you really think these losses could affect him in his career? I mean, I have read everywhere that he fought hard. And it was not a choke (like Paulo/Youzhny). So, let's hope it won't affect him. He has a lot of things to improve and is still young but I am sure he will have the mental to suceed.
I don't know. I hope not.

I know he must feel really devastated considering how hard he fought and how close the matches were and if it were me, I would be inconsoleable. This will be a test of how strong he is...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #777
country flag InfiniteSadness

InfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond repute

These 2 losses are so sad... I fear it broke his selfconfidence even more... (what Guy said about the self image Richard has of himself is pretty worrying...)
The match against Tursunov was so heartbreaking... I was in the Palais des Sports so, I followed all the match live... Everyone cheered so loudly for Richard and believed he could win this match but... I don't know what happened because FOR ME, he deserved to win this match because he seemed he wanted to win it so bad (and more than Tursunov)... I was so devastated when he lost... And all these bad line calls

But anyway, I'm so proud to be a fan of him, even if he lost his 2 matches. He showed during these matches how much he was motivated and wanted it. (il avait la niac quoi!) He fought so hard! Some people who are not really fan of him told me he played very well and that nobody can say it is his fault if France lost the tie, because he fought really hard. The Russian players were just better.

Other bad news: I read somewhere (in RG.net) that Richard MAY withdraw from Monte Carlo because his abdominals hurt him... (we saw it during the match as he sometimes put his hand on his stomach... Firstly we thought he was ill but apparently these are his abs which hurt...) I hope it's only cramps...

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Last edited by InfiniteSadness : 04-10-2006 at 05:03 PM.
InfiniteSadness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #778
country flag zimzim

zimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteSadness
These 2 losses are so sad... I fear it broke his selfconfidence even more... (what Guy said about the self image Richard has of himself is pretty worrying...)
The match against Tursunov was so heartbreaking... I was in the Palais des Sports so, I followed all the match live... Everyone cheered so loudly for Richard and believed he could win this match but... I don't know what happened because FOR ME, he deserved to win this match because he seemed he wanted to win it so bad (and more than Tursunov)... I was so devastated when he lost... And all these bad calls

But anyway, I'm so proud to be a fan of him, even if he lost his 2 matches. He showed during these matches how much he was motivated and wanted it. (il avait la niac quoi!) He fought so hard! Some people who are not really fan of him told me he played very well and that nobody can say it is his fault if France lost the tie, because he fought really hard. The Russian players were just better.

Other bad news: I read somewhere (in RG.net) that Richard MAY withdraw from Monte Carlo because his abdominals hurt him... (we saw it during the match as he sometimes put his hand on his stomach... Firstly we thought he was ill but apparently these are his abs which hurt...) I hope it's only cramps...
I hope it's just cramps cos Richie has had enough nightmares to last him a season
zimzim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #779
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
These 2 losses are so sad... I fear it broke his selfconfidence even more...
I somehow feel these two defeats are the consequence of his lacking confidence, which is of a broader and deeper nature. I think deep down in his heart, Richard still does not fully believe in his abilities, which is hard to understand for outsiders, as he has got so much talent. And while many people on this world are too certain of themselves, Richard seems to be the opposite, which somehow also explains his obvious shyness. However, I trust in his environment to find the right means to keep him going.

Quote:
If the injury is serious, withdraw. If not, go out and play, hiding won't help.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #780
country flag silverwhite

Oh no...