Australian Open 2006 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #46
country flag Jill

Jill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond reputeJill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open 2006

Points all too confusing for me. I'll just keep coming here to find out !! I like it how Nalby doesn't play a tourny before AO and moves up ranking. Good enough for me.
Jill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #47
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...-10_SP235198:1

PREVIEW-Nalbandian primed for grand slam glory
Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 PM GMT

By Greg Stutchbury

MELBOURNE, Jan 12 (Reuters) - When a slightly-built 20-year-old from Cordoba arrived at the All England Club in 2002 for his first professional grasscourt tournament, few took any notice.

Six matches later, following five-set victories over Ecuador's Nicolas Lapentti and Belgium's Xavier Malisse, David Nalbandian had confounded the tennis world by making the final.

That fairytale ended rather quickly when Australia's Lleyton Hewitt smashed him off court in a 6-1 6-3 6-2 victory.

Fast forward three years and Nalbandian gained sweet revenge. In the Davis Cup. In Sydney. On grass.

The Argentine produced a near-perfect display against Hewitt in a 6-2 6-4 6-4 quarter-final victory that sealed the tie.

That result was no fluke and Nalbandian underlined he was ready to cement his place amongst the game's elite in November with a courageous defeat of world number one Roger Federer.

He came from two sets down to beat Federer in the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai, ending the Swiss player's run of 24 consecutive final victories.

"It was a big step. Of course Shangahi gave me more confidence to try to take the first one (grand slam), " Nalbandian said this week ahead of next week's Australian Open.

His hopes have been increased by the absence of champion Marat Safin, world number two Rafael Nadal and Andre Agassi through injury.

Nalbandian himself had to withdraw from the Kooyong Classic with a viral infection.

The right-hander with just the right mixture of guile and power has been seeded fourth and should move past the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park for the first time.

The Argentine's status as a potential champion has been increased by his Shanghai heroics.

"I guess Nalbandian has a good chance," Germany's Tommy Haas said at Kooyong.

"There are so many good players out there but when David is playing at his best then Roger may feel a bit more uncomfortable."
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #48
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, gooner. We all hope he can brush this virus aside and compete effectively in the AO like we know he can.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #49
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
Thanks, gooner. We all hope he can brush this virus aside and compete effectively in the AO like we know he can.
Me too Tiff.
I hope he can play his warm up match on Saturday. That's gonna be important or otherwise he will be really short of match practice.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #50
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner88
Me too Tiff.
I hope he can play his warm up match on Saturday. That's gonna be important or otherwise he will be really short of match practice.
All those exhos he played in December? He shouldn't be short of practice.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #51
country flag gooner88

Quote:
All those exhos he played in December? He shouldn't be short of practice.
I was thinking of that but the conditions are different. He hasn't played a match in Melbourne yet where the conditions such as the courts and heat are different.
Also the quality of opponents he played during December were different. For example he played Meligeni who had retired and Puerta who's mind must have been on his drugs case. At Kooyong he only would've played against the best which would've been great practice.
Basically what I'm saying it's important to play and get used to conditions similar to what they will be at Melbourne Park. As far as his tennis I agree it should be in good nick after all those exhos.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #52
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is he going to be playing a match on Saturday? If we're referring to Kooyong, Mirnyi has been scheduled for a match tomorrow so the three matches will be gone. It would be nice if they'd schedule a match on Saturday for him to play, one that doesn't count, like the Henman vs Arthurs match that they had as a bonus today, but I doubt they'd do that.

That quote from Tommy Haas in that AO preview article is a tad misleading. It implies that David playing at his best would make Federer uncomfortable whereas the quote is:
Quote:
Q: Nadal and Safin being out, with the guys who are left who would you see as being the guys with the best shot?

A: I don't know. Nalbandian has a bit of a chance, one of those guys. I think there is so many good players out there that might have a chance but they need to play at their best and Roger might need to feel a little bit uncomfortable out there in order for him to lose, I think.

Last edited by krystlel : 01-12-2006 at 01:36 PM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #53
country flag gooner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel
Is he going to be playing a match on Saturday? If we're referring to Kooyong, Mirnyi has been scheduled for a match tomorrow so the three matches will be gone. It would be nice if they'd schedule a match on Saturday for him to play, one that doesn't count, like the Henman vs Arthurs match that they had as a bonus today, but I doubt they'd do that.
All it said on the media release on the kooyong website was this:
Although he wanted to continue with his remaining two Kooyong matches, he has taken medical advice not to play until Saturday.

If he's feeling better by Saturday the organisers will probably schedule a match for him like you said.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #54
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely Nalby has a good chance at the AO! Hope he's better soon.

Más vale mańa que fuerza -- proverbio espańol
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #55
country flag gooner88

Ok the draw's been made and Nalbo's playing a Qualifier in R1 according to the threads here on MTF about the draw.
His potential seeded opponent in R3 assuming he gets that far is Nieminen.
His potential seeded opponent in the QF is Gaudio.
He's in the same half of the draw as Roddick.

The full draw should be posted soon.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #56
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Ok the draw's been made and Nalbo's playing a Qualifier in R1 according to the threads here on MTF about the draw.
His potential seeded opponent in R3 assuming he gets that far is Nieminen.
His potential seeded opponent in the QF is Gaudio.
He's in the same half of the draw as Roddick.

The full draw should be posted soon.
I saw that in the AO draw thread. Thanks for the update. I think he'll have it easier this time around.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #57
country flag gooner88

Quote:
I saw that in the AO draw thread. Thanks for the update. I think he'll have it easier this time around.
You welcome Tiff. It does look good for him providing he can get over his illness. Nieminen and Ferrer are in his quarter, and we know how tough these players are for Nalbo.
Looks like Davydenko not making the semis at Doha last week could be a blessing in disguise for Nalbo. Instead of being seeded 4, he's the 5th seed and in Fed's quarter. Funny how things turn out.

Last edited by gooner88 : 01-12-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #58
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like a nice draw, depending on his physical condition and on the floaters he could get
I saw a part of the Ancic vs Wawrinca match, and
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #59
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
You welcome Tiff.
Looks like Davydenko not making the semis at Doha last week could be a blessing in disguise for Nalbo. Instead of being seeded 4, he's the 5th seed and in Fed's quarter. Funny how things turn out.
Yes...and it looks like Roddick will have a tougher road to the semis than Nabs. It's not a cakewalk by no means, but it's much better than expected. Maybe he'll put together a good run like he did in 2004, when he reached the quarters without losing a set.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #60
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
It looks like a nice draw, depending on his physical condition and on the floaters he could get
I saw a part of the Ancic vs Wawrinca match, and
Really? Oh goodness. I think David will be fine-that is, if he can get over that nasty virus he's battling right now.