More News - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #46
country flag Agassi Aces

Agassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4990126.stm

Agassi defeated in UK tax battle

Andre Agassi challenged a tax assessment for the 1998/99 season
US tennis star Andre Agassi has lost his legal battle to avoid paying UK income tax on endorsement deals.
Law Lords ruled he must pay tax on a portion of cash paid to him by Nike and Head because he endorsed their products at Wimbledon and other UK tournaments.

The Court of Appeal had earlier ruled Agassi was exempt because neither he nor the sports companies were UK-based.

But the Law Lords ruled foreign entertainers touring Britain must pay tax on money earned from such deals.

The Revenue feared that, had it lost its appeal, it would have been liable to repay millions of pounds to entertainers and sports stars who had toured the UK since 1988.

'No incongruity'

That was the year the Income and Corporations Taxes Act, which covers such deals, came into force.

The fact Nike and Head were paying money to the tennis star's US-based company, Agassi Enterprises Inc - rather than to Agassi himself - made no difference, the Law Lords ruled.

"Payments to foreign companies controlled by them are to be treated as payments to them," Lord Scott said.

Otherwise, payments of the tax would be rendered "to all intents voluntary", he added.

Lord Mance said there was "no incongruity" in entertainers or sportsmen being charged tax on money earned for endorsing products in the UK.

Agassi brought the case after challenging an assessment of £27,500 for the 1998/99 season.
Agassi Aces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #47
country flag Agassi Aces

Agassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond repute

Reports from BBC Five Live indicate Andre may enter the ATP Challanger event in Surbiton, Surrey the week before Queens!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #48
country flag steffis

steffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi update

Andre Agassi told Inside Tennis' Bill Simons on Thursday that he's hitting once again, but is unsure of whether his bad back and hip will be able to withstand the pounding of tournament play. The now 36-year-old is scheduled to play Queens two weeks prior to Wimbledon and hasn't played since Miami.

I really keep my fingers crossed that Andre will play in Queens and Wimbledon.
steffis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #49
country flag mandy20

mandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond repute

not looking good he wont play the challanger before Queens. He will proberly test his back at QUEENS so he might not make it to Wimbledon. This could be a sad end to a great player
mandy20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #50
country flag Agassi Aces

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cf...GASSI-05-23-06

Agassi comes full circle

By PAUL BAUMAN
Sacramento Bee
23-MAY-06

Few athletes have changed as dramatically during their careers as Andre Agassi.

As Agassi attempts to make his latest comeback at the elderly tennis age of 36, he is in many ways the opposite of the Agassi who 20 years ago this month won his first tournament as a professional.

Agassi has evolved from a boorish, shaggy-haired teen heartthrob who crushed virtually every ball to a bald father of two, tennis ambassador and humanitarian who wears down opponents on the court with precise groundstrokes.

Part of it is maturity and longevity. Agassi turned pro earlier and has remained competitive longer than almost anyone in men's tennis history. But with Agassi, everything has always been magnified.

The one constant in Agassi's career has been the almost supernatural hand-eye coordination that eventually will secure his place in the Hall of Fame alongside his wife, Steffi Graf.

Agassi has done virtually everything in tennis. He has:

_ Won each of the four Grand Slam singles titles, becoming one of only five men in history to do so.

_ Reached No. 1 in the world rankings (1995 and 1999).

_ Won an Olympic gold medal (Atlanta, 1996, in singles).

_ Played on three Davis Cup championship teams, including the United States' last one in 1995.

_ Won the year-ending tournament featuring the top eight players in the point standings (1990).

Those were distant goals when Agassi arrived in Reno for the 1986 Nevada State Open a few days after turning pro.

The Las Vegan had entered the $10,000 tournament only as a favor to his older brother, Phillip, a marginal pro who needed a doubles partner.

Ranked No. 285 in the world in singles and rising fast, Andre was coming off a grueling five-week satellite circuit in Florida and South Carolina. He had hoped to take two weeks off but figured that if he was going to play doubles in Reno, he might as well play singles, too.

Several tennis sources had projected the younger Agassi as a top-10 player in the world. Before the tournament, the brothers submitted to a 30-minute interview on the deck of the host Lakeridge Tennis Club overlooking Reno.

Andre was still in his rebellious stage (he had once shown up for a match wearing jeans, hightops and makeup). He had a two-tone mullet (radical in those days), and the nail on his right little finger was about an inch long and painted red.

Things got even more unusual once the interview began. Even though Andre was the focus, Phillip did almost all the talking. Andre spoke three sentences.

Aloof? Perhaps. Deferring to his older (by seven years) brother? Maybe. But rude? No. Andre looked the reporter straight in the eye and listened intently.

On the court, as I wrote in a 1997 unauthorized biography of Agassi, he "amazed fans at the Lakeridge Tennis Club with his explosive shotmaking, amused them with his baggy tennis shorts and two-tone punk haircut, and alienated them with his petulance."

The Agassis lost early in doubles, but the third-seeded Andre won the singles title. A weary Agassi struggled, though, in the thinner air of Reno's 4,500-foot altitude _ which favored serve-and-volleyers, not baseliners. He survived four consecutive three-set matches before the final.

Agassi's behavior, though, was abysmal. He drilled balls against the fence, berated opponents and suggestively put a racket between his legs. Yet never was he penalized.

There were no problems in the final, however, as Agassi demolished 10th-seeded Doug Stone, 6-3, 6-2 in 50 minutes.

On the men's circuit, Agassi gradually harnessed the powerful game his Iranian-born father, Emmanuel ("Mike"), had taught him. Agassi's manners eventually improved, too, although it took more than 10 years.

Along the way, Agassi overcame several major obstacles. He was labeled a choker after losing his first three Grand Slam finals, underwent career-threatening surgery on his right (playing) wrist in 1993 and slumped to No. 141 in the world rankings in 1997. Agassi also has a strong social conscience. He has raised more than $52.3 million for the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation, founded in 1994 to benefit at-risk youth in Las Vegas. In 2001, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a charter school for at-risk youth, opened in West Las Vegas.

Agassi is trying to put off retirement for a few more years. Sidelined in March because of chronic back pain, he is skipping the clay-court season to focus on what could be his last appearance at Wimbledon. He plans to return to the circuit in the Stella Artois Championships, June 12-18 on grass in London.

Undoubtedly, even Reno tennis fans will be rooting for him.

(Editor's note: Paul Bauman covered the 1986 Nevada State Open tennis tournament, won by 16-year-old Andre Agassi, as a sportswriter for the Reno Gazette-Journal.)
Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #51
country flag suus21

suus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Andre so much I can't take it if he's not playing Queens or Wimbledon...
suus21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #52
country flag steffis

steffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond reputesteffis has a reputation beyond repute

Andre and Steffi will arrive in Europe next week. I saw Steffi in TV today morning and she said that she will be in Germany when the Football Worldcup starts ( 9th June ).
Hopefully, we will hear some news from Andre.
I really hope that he won`t pull out of Queens and Wimbledon. If he would do so, I could cry.
But at the moment, I keep my fingers crossed and hope the best!!!!!!!!!
steffis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #53
country flag yoguis

yoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffis
Andre and Steffi will arrive in Europe next week. I saw Steffi in TV today morning and she said that she will be in Germany when the Football Worldcup starts ( 9th June ).
Hopefully, we will hear some news from Andre.
I really hope that he won`t pull out of Queens and Wimbledon. If he would do so, I could cry.
But at the moment, I keep my fingers crossed and hope the best!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the news!
yoguis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #54
country flag suus21

suus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond reputesuus21 has a reputation beyond repute

they both love soccer so I can understand that they go to Europe next week. I really think Andre will play
suus21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #55
country flag czech1rep

czech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond repute

http://asapsports.com/tennis/000AB/AgassiAndre.html

don´t know if it has been posted..lots of interviews from 1992 to 2006.
czech1rep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #56
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi Graf has joined Head in an advisory capacity to consult on their Airflow line of racquets for women.
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #57
country flag Agassi Aces

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...just_abou.html

Andre Just About Ready
PARIS -- Andre Agassi wrapped up a week of practice at the Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, Calif., where he logged some extensive court time with 18-year-old U.S. prospect Sam Querrey, and plans to fly to London on Tuesday and begin practicing, primarily with Andy Roddick, at Queens Club, where he'll play the the grass court lead-up there to Wimbledon.

My mole tells me Agassi and Querrey played a couple of sets on the grass at Mission Hills. Double A won 7-6, 6-4 and had some high praise afterward for his 6-foot-6 practice partner.

Agassi has not played an ATP match since losing to Tommy Haas at Indian Wells and swore off the clay for this season and, who know, probably forever because of the pressure it puts on his chronically injured back.

It will be great to see Agassi back on court because every tournament now could be his last. It's that touch-and-go with his career at age 36. And he's going to get a most royal welcome back to Wimbedon, where he hasn't played since going out in five sets to Mark Philippoussis in the round of 16 in 2003.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #58
country flag czech1rep

czech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.projo.com/tennis/content/...t.16bedbd.html

...Gabriela Sabatini, Patrick Rafter and Italian journalist Gianni Clerici will be inducted into the Hall of Fame next Saturday before the tournament semifinals. ¨
Hall of Famer Steffi Graf will return to present Sabatini for induction.
Rafter's father James will do the honors for his son, and Hall of Famer Bud Collins will introduce Clerici....

Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #59
country flag czech1rep

Agassi, Graf will return for Richmond benefit

Richmond Times-Dispatch Aug 6, 2006

For those who were unable to see Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf perform their magic on the court when they were here in December, Genworth Financial is providing another opportunity.

Agassi, who has announced that he is retiring from the pro tour after the U.S. Open, and his wife, Graf, helped sell out the Siegel Center in 2005. They will join two other players Dec. 8 for the second annual Genworth Children's Advantage Classic at the same venue.

The event will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will include two matches, an eight-game, pro-set mixed doubles and a best-of-three sets men's singles.

In last year's exhibition, Agassi and Graf were joined by Anna Kournikova and Andy Roddick.

The 2005 affair raised more than $500,000 for at-risk children in the Richmond community. This year's event will be used for the same benefit.

Tickets, which will range from $35 to $125, will go on sale Sept. 12 and will be available through the Virginia Commonwealth University box office and all TicketMaster outlets. --John Packett

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189824078&path=!sports&s=1 045855934844

Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #60
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

andre gives money for politics.

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_polit...dre_Agassi.php
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote