More News - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #31
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More News

Posted on Thu, Feb. 02, 2006
ITC
Agassi dodges scare, prevails
Andre Agassi's gamble paid off as he saved two match points to defeat 129th-ranked Ramon Delgado and advance to the quarterfinals of the ITC.
By SANDRA HARWITT
Special to The Miami Herald

DELRAY BEACH - It took venturing into unfamiliar territory for Andre Agassi to save himself from defeat and book a spot in the quarterfinals at the International Tennis Championships.

The top-seeded Agassi was fighting for survival in the second round at the Delray Beach Tennis Center on Wednesday night, eventually staring at two match points on his own serve in the 10th game of the second set.

Ramon Delgado, who had never won a set from Agassi in three previous meetings and is ranked 129th, was on the verge of a victory at 6-4, 5-4 with a match point at 30-40 and then at ad-out.

Agassi, 35, was clearly not playing top-flight tennis on the day. Nevertheless, he had come to South Florida to start his 2006 campaign and, rusty or not, he wasn't ready to declare his trip to Delray Beach over.

So Agassi opted for the surprise tactic: He ventured forward to save both match points at the net.

''I figured it's been 20 years -- I might as well try it,'' said Agassi, laughingly admitting the serve-and-volley game has never been his source of success. ``I might as well come to the net besides for shaking hands.''

Clearly, Agassi's experience as an eight-time Grand Slam champion worked in his favor when he was staring at defeat. He knew that to remain in contention for the ITC title, he had to take chances.

''To a certain degree you have to ignore the score and make the guy execute,'' Agassi said. ``Obviously, you're aware that you're one point away from being out but you try to say, `Well, I've got to take my shot. I can't just wait for something to happen here. But I'm well aware I could have lost with one bad decision there.''

Initially, Agassi seemed to be continuing on the roll he established Monday night when he impressively beat Ricardo Mello of Brazil.

But the Delgado match was not bound to go as smoothly.

Agassi started strong and established a 4-2 lead on Delgado in the opening set.

But that's when his game started to show the tarnish of being sidelined with an ankle injury since reaching the U.S. Open semifinals last September.

He allowed Delgado to recoup the service break in the eighth game of the first set.

And then, after hitting an exquisite backhand winner to break serve in the opening game of the second set -- a shot that caused Agassi to shout ''C'mon'' -- he let Delgado immediately break back in the next game.

''I need to feel the pressure and the competition again and problem-solve out there,'' Agassi said. ``I wasn't comfortable the whole time, and to figure out a way to still get through it allows you to relax more for the next one.''

Even when Agassi established a 4-1 lead in the second set tiebreaker, Delgado seemed to still have winning on his mind, taking three more points before surrendering the set.

It was only after losing the second set that Delgado faded. In the third set, Delgado was nothing more than a conduit to victory for Agassi, who won 24 of the 32 points in the 20-minute final set.

''In the third set, I was just gone,'' Delgado said. ``I don't remember [playing] a third set.''

Agassi, who is in the hunt for his 61st career title here at the ITC, didn't hesitate to give Delgado credit for mounting a strong strategy in the match.

''He was serving well, playing smart, he took some chances on my second serve and taking chances in rally, and at other times, he was patient,'' Agassi said.

``If there's anything to fault him on it would not be not closing it out in the second, but going away in the third. I know it was difficult to lose in the second, but for the most part, he was in control of that match there and I was hanging on.''
Gigan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #32
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi/Graf Perfume

I realize tennis players like to make easy money when they can, but this press release about Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf's new fragrances just sounds ridiculous - like we've stepped into the middle of a bad romance flick. It might be better to leave the perfume marketing to the Maria Sharapovas of the tennis world.

From Strategiy: Aramis introduces two new fragrances

Introducing Aramis Always for Him and for Her, two new fragrances inspired by the real life love story of tennis legends Andre Agassi and Stefanie raf. Aramis Always for Him and for Her are modern romance captured in a bottle – telling the story of a couple’s perfect love match and their commitment over time.

“Andre Agassi and Stefanie Graf are strong, exceptional individuals and together they share passion and chemistry created from loyalty, friendship and love,” said Robin Mason, Vice President Global Marketing, Aramis and Designer Fragrances. A marriage of hearts and minds, Aramis Always for Him and for Her was designed to experience the souls of two people who adore each other. The fragrances celebrate the deepest and most unbreakable bond between a man and woman. Most people find love difficult to describe, but Andre Agassi has no problem expressing his feelings for his wife Stefanie. They met in Paris. They fell in love. It was a fairy tale come true and, years after they first met, it just keeps getting better. “We are lucky, we got to live our dream when we became professional tennis players, and even luckier we met each other because of it,” said Andre Agassi, “Stefanie and I believe in fate. Aramis Always gave us the opportunity to bottle up the powerful emotions that came with our love story and spread it around.”
February 09, 2006 in Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf | Permalink

Comments

Well, Agassi has a contract with Estee Lauder, they support his children project, so it's for something good.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=98936
Posted by: loreley | Feb 9, 2006 10:14:14 AM

Thank goodness!
Posted by: lisen | Feb 9, 2006 10:21:53 AM

what if they break up (i hope not), will they discontinue the line?
Posted by: Marlon | Feb 9, 2006 6:34:25 PM

my favourite was the bottling up their power emotions part... how melodramatic. Did the writers for Days of Our Lives / General Hospital have a hand in this?!
Posted by: Naomi | Feb 9, 2006 7:43:57 PM

Yes, it was quite funny how they linked their emotions for each other with the perfume line.
Posted by: | Feb 9, 2006 10:17:18 PM

I love Steffi to pieces, but this press release reads like a bad Harlequin romance novel. I can't believe Steffi would let something as sappy as this get authored! Ah well, with all the nastiness going on in the world, maybe we need a little "sap" now and then.

Although, I will try the perfume out to see if it's any good.
Posted by: Ally | Feb 11, 2006 11:43:26 AM
Old 02-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #33
country flag mandy20

mandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond reputemandy20 has a reputation beyond repute

Both Andre and Steffi perfume are out in the shops in the UK and I have both and they are realy nice and small great.
mandy20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #34
country flag czech1rep

czech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy20
Both Andre and Steffi perfume are out in the shops in the UK and I have both and they are realy nice and small great.
wow
they aren´t in the Czech Republic yet. I´ll buy them too..
czech1rep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #35
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a great fan of both Andre and Steffi - but, c'mon, even they must be laughing at that press release. Somehow I just can't picture Andre saying those things - "bottle up the the powerful emotions that came with our love" - ????

That being said, I'll be anxious to give it a sniff and I tremendously admire and respect what a wonderful marriage they've made.
llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #36
country flag czech1rep

czech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama
I'm a great fan of both Andre and Steffi - but, c'mon, even they must be laughing at that press release. Somehow I just can't picture Andre saying those things - "bottle up the the powerful emotions that came with our love" - ????

That being said, I'll be anxious to give it a sniff and I tremendously admire and respect what a wonderful marriage they've made.
Yes, it´s silly article. .
Old 02-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #37
country flag Gigan

Posted on Thu, Feb. 16, 2006
Agassi's moves explained
HE SOUGHT BACK EXAM BEFORE WITHDRAWING
By Darren Sabedra
Mercury News

News of Andre Agassi's withdrawal from the SAP Open this week was sent to the media late largely because the tennis legend's agent wanted his client to be seen by a doctor first, a spokeswoman for Agassi Enterprises said Wednesday.

Agassi practiced at HP Pavilion on Sunday from 6-7 p.m. and then told tournament director Bill Rapp of his lower-back injury and potential withdrawal, Julie Stipe said. Agassi asked to be seen by a doctor to confirm.

Rapp told Agassi that the tournament physician would not be back until Monday. Agassi's handlers then told Rapp that they would issue an official news release after the medical exam because the doctor's confirmation would prevent anyone from accusing Agassi of faking the injury. They also were under the impression that a withdrawal could not become official until a doctor's OK, Stipe said.

But that isn't the case.

The ATP made Agassi's withdrawal official around 9 p.m. Sunday.

Still, Rapp said he thought Agassi's handlers didn't want the news out until the doctor's visit Monday. Stipe said it no longer mattered once the ATP made it official.

Rapp ultimately decided to send out a release without approval from Agassi's people. It reached the media via e-mail at midnight, preventing the news from making the morning papers
Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #38
country flag Kirk

Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond reputeKirk has a reputation beyond repute

March 19, 2006
André Agassi v. British Taxman: 3rd Set

Interesting English tax case involving André Agassi, as reported in today's Telegraph: Tax on Stars Is Unfair, Says Agassi as £500m Battle Goes to Lords, by Adam Lusher:

It is the match that pits Gordon Brown against André Agassi supported by Britney Spears, Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters. Tony Blair may not be taking sides (yet) but for Spears, Agassi and friends all eyes, surely, will this week turn to that great sporting arena: Committee Room One of the House of Lords. It is here, with £500 million at stake, that Agassi and his lawyers will contest the final set in the biggest match of their lives: Agassi v Robinson (Inspector of Taxes). Victory means Agassi will escape paying £27,500 to the British taxman. More important, Team Agassi estimates its stand could result in a whole galaxy of stars demanding the Inland Revenue return a total of up to £500 million in taxes, paid since 1988....

"This covers all the overseas entertainers who come to the UK to perform: sportsmen, football players, pop stars," explained Mike Warburton, a senior tax partner at Grant Thornton, the global financial consultancy. "All their agents will be looking at this, Britney's included." As Spears may, or may not, know, this is all because of section 555(2) of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988… and Thriller by Michael Jackson. "It's all Michael Jackson's fault," explained Mr Warburton. "He started this. The law was introduced following a series of Michael Jackson concerts. "Overseas entertainers were making vast profits in the UK, and the British taxman wasn't getting enough." Hence the 1988 Act, section 555(2) obliging promoters and sponsors to deduct tax before paying stars for work in Britain.

For a while, the taxman was happy - very happy, because he wasn't just getting money from deals with British-based companies. If, say, a certain American tennis star had sponsorship deals with Nike, an American sportswear company, and Head, an Austrian sports equipment manufacturer, the British Revenue was entitled to some of that cash too. Why? Because, Mr Agassi, for a proportion of the tax year you were earning your sponsorship money while playing at Wimbledon. (Time spent in leather catsuits at Wembley Arena was taxable too, Britney.)

So Agassi took up the fight for multimillionaire entertainers. He had a disastrous first set, his arguments smashed all over the High Court by Mr Justice Lightman in March 2004, but recovered brilliantly in the Appeal Court. Now, it's all down to the third set, the House of Lords appeal by the Revenue. Dispensing with serve and volley, Agassi is relying on the old "principle of territoriality" tactic. If "territoriality" applies, he owes Mr Brown nothing because Agassi Enterprises, his company, and his sponsors Nike and Head are all outside British territory with no "tax presence" in the UK
Kirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #39
country flag sk8ten

sk8ten is on a distinguished road

Hello, Read an article at another web-site with an update on the "Agassi Story", the autobiography of Andre's father. It says that the book will soon be release in more countries and also a dvd is planned. Here is a link to the website: http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/

By Tennis Week
04/24/2006
The Agassi Story is a tale told in multiple languages. In a testament to Andre Agassi's international appeal, publishing rights to The Agassi Story have been sold to more than 15 different nations. The Agassi Story, the autobiography of Mike Agassi, Andre's father, is scheduled for release in French-Canadian markets, Europe, China and Russia this summer....
sk8ten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #40
country flag czech1rep

Thanx sk8ten
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #41
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/..._market001.cfm

go on this website you can see andre agassi´s brother in-law.Tami´s husband.
On the right side. I think he is that.
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #42
country flag sandhyanair

sandhyanair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati830728
http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/..._market001.cfm

go on this website you can see andre agassi´s brother in-law.Tami´s husband.
On the right side. I think he is that.
i am not happy abt Tami's husband.she should have got a better one.both of Andre's sisters got married to wrong persons.any one knows abt Philip agassi' wife.?
sandhyanair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #43
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyanair
i am not happy abt Tami's husband.she should have got a better one.both of Andre's sisters got married to wrong persons.any one knows abt Philip agassi' wife.?
Well - that's certainly uncalled for - who are you to judge her husband? Do you know him? Have you any proof that he isn't a decent human being?
llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #44
country flag Agassi Aces

Agassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond reputeAgassi Aces has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9442739/1

Agassi will attempt to shape own destiny -- again
May 16, 2006
By Joel Drucker

We won't see Andre Agassi at the French Open this year. Months ago he opted to skip the European clay-court circuit, pragmatically willing to take the hit on his ranking points that's incurred by withdrawing from three Masters Series events and Roland Garros.

Yet little did Agassi imagine that injuries would also muddle his entire year. By the time he makes his planned (but uncertain) return to the game at the Wimbledon tuneup event in London next month, he'll have played only seven matches in 2006, compiling a desultory 4-3 record.

At the French Open in the late '80s, Andre Agassi arrived on the big stage. (Getty Images)
As Agassi sits in Las Vegas hoping for his body to recover, I wonder if he contemplates the revolution he began 18 years -- and half his life -- ago. That was the spring when Agassi made a superb French Open debut.

Already that 1988 season, he wowed fans across North America with his high-octane groundstrokes and compelling persona. But it was in Paris where he first delivered the goods on a grand stage.

It wasn't just that Agassi won five matches to reach the semifinals. It was the way he did so, thoroughly charming crowds with his clothing, his grunts and his groundies. "Hey, that's a pretty cute girl," Agassi said years later about the thin blonde he was back then, an ingénue in denim shorts who'd been the belle of the ball.

Paris was where Agassi faced tennis depths and heights. Two of his most painful losses occurred when he was upset in the '90 and '91 finals. But in 1999, Paris was the site for his most treasured victory when he took the title, coming from two sets to love down to beat Andre Medvedev. Added to that victory was the onset of his romance with that year's women's champ, Steffi Graf.

I won't use this space to conjecture about when Agassi will decide to retire. Why bother? Besides, no tennis player -- better yet, no athlete -- has shredded more predictions than Agassi.

What interests me most about Agassi is the way his concept of tennis is linked to his life -- and in turn, the way that understanding of the game has revolutionized the definition of what it means to be an athlete.

Agassi believes there is something elemental and austere about a tennis match. "Two guys in one place, trying to deal with each other and figure it out," he once told me. "Isn't that kind of what human beings go through every day?"

Given that Agassi's father and first tennis teacher, Mike, was an Olympic boxer, it's easy to see how Agassi sees the sport in a way that's simple, compelling, combative and introspective.

Ironically, though, for a good deal of Agassi's career he failed to understand what it took to compete effectively -- that is, to relate to his opponent.

"I was all about trying to hit flashy shots when I was young," he said. "Only later did I see that the game is more about breaking the other guy down and forcing him to miss."

Of course, the fact that Agassi was able to accomplish this with such a lethal forehand-backhand combo -- I'll contend it's the best in tennis history -- was helpful. But what mattered most to his tennis legacy is that in time he saw the light and became a far better player past the age of 29.

Off the court, Agassi has been somewhat of a pop culture revolutionary -- the dozens of Nike outfits he wore for much of his career, his hairstyles, his philanthropy -- the guy built a school -- and his catalytic impact as a box office draw in tennis' post-boom era. But I'm more drawn to another Agassi revolution.

We tend to think of athleticism as an innate attribute, as finite, out of our control and cast in stone as eye color. From the get-go, the willowy Pete Sampras was considered an "athlete." Jim Courier was a "grinder," Michael Chang a "thinker," Agassi a "talent."

Agassi didn't want to occupy a box. The seeds of rebellion had been planted in him as a teenager when his father shipped him from his cozy home in Las Vegas to the tennis boot camp of Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy. Through much of Agassi's early career, he treated tennis with ambivalence, constantly backing away from the sport that had made him a millionaire.

But all that restless energy also made Agassi a seeker, a person not content to sit in one place. Early in his career, Agassi faded in long matches. He wanted to get stronger, so he began working with Gil Reyes, the strength and conditioning coach of the formidable UNLV basketball team. Though it took awhile for him to calibrate his body weight with his tennis game, in time Agassi's physique become exquisitely well-chiseled. In his late 20s, he made himself faster.

And all along, through various physical changes, through altering his diet, through changing his practice routines, Agassi grew increasingly smarter.

"I want to make myself a better athlete," he said at a time when he'd already won three Grand Slam titles and been ranked No. 1 in the world. "If you make yourself stronger, faster, more aware of what's going on out there, you make yourself a better athlete, and in time a better player."

And by the way, each of the three Agassi rivals mentioned above took similar steps to outstrip their classification. But probably none covered more emotional territory than Agassi, who over the course of his career went from an apparent wasted talent to an example of devotion.

The notion that no destiny is pre-ordained fits in nicely with a mantra Agassi recites about his school, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy: "If you tell a child he's stupid," goes the Agassi line, "he won't become very intelligent. But if you tell him he's smart, and give him the tools to grow, who knows what can happen?"

Certainly, at 36, Agassi hopes that question can guide him through yet another attempted rebirth. Whether it will happen will surely be one of the more interesting tennis tales of the coming summer.

The new HBO documentary, Billie Jean King: Portrait of a Pioneer, is a superb, comprehensive look at one of the most important people in tennis history.

The star, of course, is King, who offers keen comments on everything from her tennis to her sexuality. It also includes exclusive -- and rare -- interviews with her parents and brother, former San Francisco Giants pitcher Randy Moffitt, and ex-husband Larry, as well as lively time-capsule glimpses into her life as a '70s celebrity, appearing on such programs as The Dick Cavett Show, Sonny & Cher and The Odd Couple.

But best of all is the action footage. Lest you think of King as strictly a revered icon, do note that she was a superbly engaging and effective player, keenly adept at volleying and movement. And as Bobby Riggs found out the hard way, she rose to the big occasion.
Agassi Aces is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #45
country flag czech1rep

Agassi Loses 27,500-Pound Tax Dispute at U.K.'s Highest Court

May 17 (Bloomberg) -- Tennis star Andre Agassi lost a 27,500 pound ($52,000) tax dispute at Britain's highest court, blocking other sports and entertainment figures from reclaiming millions from British tax authorities.

Agassi, an eight-time grand slam winner who has earned $31 million in prize money throughout his career, challenged the U.K. taxation of sponsorship payments made by Nike Inc. and other non- British companies to his own company, Agassi Enterprises Inc., while he played at U.K. tournaments such as Wimbledon.

``Foreign entertainers and sportsmen who, or whose controlled companies, receive payments in connection with their commercial activities in the United Kingdom should be subject to'' tax, Lord Richard Scott wrote in the House of Lords decision today.

Agassi, 36, lives in the U.S. and has been married to former tennis champion Steffi Graf since 2001. He officially withdrew from the French Open tennis tournament last week, after saying he would skip the clay-court season to rest a bad back and focus on grass court events such as Wimbledon.

The case is CH/2003/APP/0693, Andre Agassi and S Robinson (HM Inspector of Taxes.)