More News - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #16
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More News

Best news 4 me, fans!!!

Sarge Sargsian just got a wildcard for the Delray tournament ( ) so maybe he's not retired after all!

I will support three players again!
Gigan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #17
country flag Gigan

Gigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond reputeGigan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigan
Best news 4 me, fans!!!

Sarge Sargsian just got a wildcard for the Delray tournament ( ) so maybe he's not retired after all!

I will support three players again!
Dream-Team:

Andre Agassi (captain)
David Nalbandian
Sarge Sargsian
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #18
country flag karenpoon

karenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond reputekarenpoon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Sarge is playing doubles with Andre.
karenpoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #19
country flag Gigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenpoon
Maybe Sarge is playing doubles with Andre.
May be, Karenpoon!
I don't think that Sarge will go for something more...
There is an Article there:
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
country flag Gigan

Agassi to Play in Delray Beach

The Delray Beach International Tennis Championships snagged the biggest prize in its 14-year history today when Andre Agassi requested a wild card to play in the ATP tournament, which will be held in the Delray Beach Tennis Center & Stadium January 30-February 5.

Agassi, the winner of eight Grand Slam titles and 60 ATP tournaments, will open his 2006 season— his 21st season in pro tennis—in Delray Beach.

“We’re ecstatic that Andre is coming to Delray Beach,” said tournament director Mark Baron. “This is the first time in the last 14 years that circumstances have allowed him to play in this event. It’s a great opportunity for South Florida fans to enjoy the incredible level at which he plays in a stadium as intimate as ours. He’s such a wonderful personality.”

Agassi finished the 2005 season ranked No. 7 in the world. It was the 16th time in his career that he finished in the Top 10, tying him with Jimmy Connors for the top spot on that all-time list. America watched and cheered as the 35-year-old tennis icon made a spectacular run to the finals of the U.S. Open last fall with consecutive five-set wins over Xavier Malisse, James Blake and Robby Ginepri.

Agassi joins what arguably is already the best draw in Delray Beach ITC history, one that features Ginepri, Blake, seven-time ATP winner Tommy Haas and Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish. Also entered are 2005 Delray Beach ITC champion Malisse and runner-up Jiri Novak as well as Boca Raton’s Vince Spadea, who finished No. 19 in the world in 2004. Ginepri and Blake finished the 2005 season No. 16 and No. 24, respectively, after their strong U.S. Open performances.

The Delray Beach ITC is the first of 15 ATP tournaments that will be held in the United States in 2006. Box seats, reserved series seats and individual session tickets to see Agassi and his fellow pros are on sale through YellowTennisBall.com (the official tournament website) or through the Delray Beach ITC Ticket Office (561-330-6000). Single session grandstand tickets range from $10 to $20 while box seats are $50 to $75.

Championship packages that include preferred seating for all 11 sessions are $220 while the Weekender package (quarterfinals through finals) is $150. Box seat packages begin at $930 for two seats and range up to $2,000 for four premium courtside seats. Box seats include premier parking and an array of amenities.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #21
country flag czech1rep

czech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond reputeczech1rep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it isn´t a new article but I didn´t know where else to post it. It´s quite interesting, maybe you have read it before..

The man to watch

By Mats Wilander
January 25, 2004

Andre Agassi serves during his Open match against Thomas Enqvist.
Picture: AFP

The first time I played against Andre Agassi was in 1986 in La Quinta in California. I was seeded No. 1 for the tournament, and here I was, up against this skinny kid from Vegas. I'd say he hadn't even turned 16.

I'd never seen him before, and I had no idea about him, other than having heard people say that he was really good, a genuine prospect.

We went onto the court and in the warm-up, after the first four or five shots, I'm thinking, "Oh my God, this guy can really hit the ball." He was just hitting the ball so clean, like nobody else, even at that age.

Yes, he was hitting them, but he was hitting them out of play by a metre or more.

We started the match and he kept hitting the ball the same way. He just kept hitting the middle of the racquet, but it was going way long, going everywhere. I'm thinking, "What the hell's he doing now?"

Afterwards, in what became a famous press conference, I was asked: "So, what do think of Agassi?"

"What do I think of Agassi?" I said. "You REALLY want to know what I think of Agassi? I think he doesn't know how to play the game. He understands how to hit a lot of shots, but he doesn't understand how to win points or construct points."

Only two years later, I'm playing Andre Agassi in the semi-final of the French Open.

Before long, I was clearly in a kind of shock. He was just standing in one place and pounding the ball all over the court, running me all over the place.

To me, there were so many times when I believed I was out of the match. I thought, there's nothing I can do any more. I was trying to run everything down, but I just wasn't fast enough.

Even so, I could feel that Agassi didn't know how to capitalise on what he was doing to me. If I could just get this shot over here or this shot over there, then I knew I had him, and I beat him.

Andre was only 18 back then, and his tennis was still very immature. But even at Wimbledon four years later, I believe he won his first major without really knowing how to construct points, either.

But Agassi knows how to construct points now. He has acquired a mental strength that means he knows his game better than any other player, and he knows precisely what he needs to do to win. He has honed his tennis brain.

This, I believe, has come relatively late in his career, but I think it's why he's able to be so fresh so late in career. Because it's new to him.

He's found something else, to the point that he's probably improving as he gets older. He's certainly not getting any worse. The game is better now than it was 10 years ago, and he's still winning majors, so he has to have improved.

Yet again, Agassi leaves the court a winner.
Picture: Paul Harris

I believe Agassi, like Bjorn Borg and Boris Becker before him, has changed the way the game is played in his time. Borg was the first player to hit with such huge top spin, and Becker brought incredibly hard hitting to the game.

Everybody was trying to play like Borg and they started keeping up with him, and likewise with Becker.

Similarly, many players have tried to play the way Agassi does. The significant difference is that he has honed his game to such a degree that they can't keep up with him simply by trying to play him at his own game. It's like he's actually lured them into a trap.

I wouldn't say he's set it up that way for himself, but that's how it's worked out.

And that's why I believe that every other player should be there watching and learning when Andre Agassi is on the court.

I'm looking at him. As a coach, I've learned more from watching Agassi than from watching anyone else.

They don't need to look at the way he hits the ball - that's an individual thing - but they need to look at where he hits the ball.

Players simply are not doing that, and in the process they are robbing themselves of a wonderful learning opportunity.

Nobody constructs a point better Agassi, even though it doesn't look like he's constructing the point. Mostly, it looks like he's just hitting, and I think a lot of players think that's all he's doing.

But he's not just hitting. He's hitting with particular reasons. He'll hit four hard ones, then he will just put a little extra top spin on and that produces the short ball and that's when he can hit his winner.

What he also does that they can't see is that he minimises his errors. He's just not making the errors that they're making but he's hitting as many winners. He has 20 errors and 40 winners and the other guy has 40 errors and 40 winners.

If you can't hit twice as many winners as unforced errors, you are going for too much. This is where I believe the men's game is in a little danger. Too many players are going for too many big shots without being able to back it up.

Agassi has played so many matches over 17 years that he figured it out at last, and now he is reaping the benefits. That's why I think it's so important that players try to figure it out earlier. It's not a natural thing. Mental strength can be learned, and Agassi has worked hard.

That's not to say he has no special talent.

His great talent, I believe, is possessed by his eyes. He must have the fastest eyes in the world to be able to return serve the way he does.

I don't know how he does it, because he doesn't actually take a step sideways either. He takes two steps forward, cuts the angles like a good soccer goalkeeper. Anyone can cut the angles, but then when you have that much less time, how are you able to hit the ball?

On certain surfaces, he's made it more advantageous returning than serving. He hits winners off a serve, and that was considered dumb in my time.

I think he's the reason why the guys are not serving and volleying any more. With guys serving faster you would think they would serve and volley more than they do, but they can't because it's coming back at them faster again. Players are using the speed of the serve in their returns, and that's what they've learnt from Agassi.

They can also learn from the great way he controls and shifts the momentum of a match.

He knows that as one of the world's best players, his opponents are already intimidated before the start. What he's figured out is that while he's got them a little psyched out, he's going to jump on them early and they're going to be totally psyched out.

If he's up 2-0 in the first set, he's basically up 4-0. If he wins the first set, he has basically won the first two sets, because it's a steeper hill to climb back up against him than anybody else.

That's not the case for the better players, because they know they can get back in the match. But in tennis, you don't play to the score, you play to the momentum. Like many things in the game, Agassi does that better than anyone.

Last edited by czech1rep : 01-11-2006 at 09:17 PM.
czech1rep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #22
country flag Gigan

MiamiHerald

Posted on Fri, Jan. 13, 2006
Agassi builds a future

Andre Agassi isn't ready to retire yet, but the almost-36-year-old tennis legend is making sure he will have a perfect getaway when that time comes.

Agassi and wife, Steffi Graf, in conjunction with Miami-based Bayview Financial LP, are building a luxury mountain hotel at the Tamarack Resort near Donnelly, Idaho. Tennis' first couple is not only helping finance the project, but is also involved in designing the resort's facilities.

''We purchased a home near there, and I was blown away by the area,'' said Agassi, who will open his 2006 season at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships Jan. 30-Feb. 5. ``We've been to all the best places in the world, and this place is the perfect family destination. It has skiing, hiking, biking, a great lake with beaches and water-skiing in the summer and ice fishing and hockey in the winter.''

In the meantime, Agassi said he is looking forward to playing in South Florida later this month and again in March at the NASDAQ-100 Open on Key Biscayne, where he has won six titles. He decided to play Delray when an ankle injury kept him from traveling to the Australian Open, which opens Monday.

''It's the perfect way for me to start the season, seeing as how I couldn't be in Australia,'' he said. ``I always enjoy the conditions in South Florida, the heat, humidity, and breeze.

``My record in the NASDAQ reflects my level of comfort in those elements. My wife lived there for many years [in Boca Raton], her mother and brother, too, so we know a lot of people there and look forward to the trip.''
Old 01-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #23
country flag Gigan

Aus Open withdrawals
Official

Mariano Puerta
Guillermo Canas
Andre Agassi
Rafael Nadal
Marat Safin
Greg Rusedski

Possible

Karol Beck
Wayne Arthurs
Joachim Johansson
Thomas Johansson
David Nalbandian

Maria Sharapova
Serena Williams
Jennifer Capriati
Venus Williams
Kim Clijsters
Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 AM   #24
country flag Gigan

A year to remember
My top 10 moments in tennis from an incredible 2005

Posted: Tuesday November 29, 2005 11:37AM; Updated: Tuesday November 29, 2005 1:14PM

Andre Agassi and James Blake battling it out until the wee hours of morning in the U.S. Open quarters was classic tennis theater.
Getty Images

Outspoken ATP tennis pro Justin Gimelstob is a frequent contributor to SI.com. Click here to read all of his columns.
.................................................. ..........................................
6. Shanghai Masters Cup final, David Nalbandian upsets Federer
This roller-coaster match twisted and turned all the way to the final point. Federer was in complete control after winning the dramatic second-set tiebreaker 13-11. But while his month off to treat an ankle injury didn't adversely affect his standard of play, it definitely slowed down his fitness and stamina. Nalbandian dominated play in the third and fourth sets against an obviously hampered Federer and surged to a seemingly insurmountable lead in the fifth and final set. But as the world's No. 1 served for the match, the momentum switched one final time, and Nalbandian eventually closed it out in the fifth-set tiebreaker.

.................................................. ...................

1. U.S. Open quarterfinals, Agassi vs. James Blake
Great tennis and even greater drama on the biggest stage in the American game. Two of the best ambassadors in the sport played their hearts out under the lights for a spot in the semifinals, all decided by a tense fifth-set tiebreaker that Agassi finally won. The two-time U.S. Open champion summed it up accurately when he stated, "I wasn't the winner, tennis was."
Old 01-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #25
country flag Gigan

i had a filling that Gimelstob is a nice guy...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #26
country flag Gigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigan
i had a filling that Gimelstob is a nice guy...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #27
country flag Gigan

do we have this article???

cover story: september 2005

THE PHENOM

Inside Tennis calls the newly minted frosted flake from Nick Bollettieri’s factory “a punishing punk with a fabulous forehand. “ Never mind any past probs with alcohol and marijuana, John McEnroe contends, “No one has ever hit that hard against me. The way he clocks his forehand — phenomenal.” So we put the 16-year-old on our Top Four list of hot young prospects (along with the long-gone Mikael Pernfors, Andrei Chesnokov and Miloslav Mecir.) But the kid’s U.S. Open “journey of a thousand miles” begins with a single misstep, as he crashes out in four sets in the first round amid the Open’s outer- court distractions to Britain’s less-than-imposing Jeremy Bates.

‘A HAIRCUT AND A FOREHAND’

He’s both America’s young (“save us from another all-Czech U.S. Open final”) hopeful and the tour’s dazzling darling. But while Andre proudly sports a year-end ranking of No. 2, he is confronting public scorn, private demons and erratic play. Lendl claimed he was “just a haircut and a forehand,” and after a wretched midsummer loss, Andre threw away his rackets and told his people that he was never going to play again. Whatever! Unfortunately, what the “hair apparent” did do was again lose in four sets in the first round of the Open to yet another European, Henri Leconte. Ouch!

THE DAWNING OF THE AGE OF DENIM

Sure, a skinny German kid name Steffi, who would later play a bit of a role in his life, was winning the Golden Slam. But so what? Mr. Agassi was busy changing the tennis landscape as he woke ‘em up at the country club and orchestrated the dawning of the age of denim. The game would never be the same. Kids hoisted Andre posters. Parisians stormed his court. Never mind that he responded to a question on South American culture by asking, “What’s an Inca?” — the ATP was getting 2,000 letters a week for Andre. So there was ample hype when kid Agassi was to meet the exalted Jimmy Connors in the quarters. Not surprisingly, when Andre glibly predicted he would win “three, three and three,” Connors bristled and shot back, “That’s a bad mistake. ... I enjoy playing guys who could be my children. Maybe he’s one of them. I spent a lot of time in Vegas.” But Andre did almost exactly what he predicted, winning in straight sets (6-2, 7-6, 6-1) while losing precisely nine games.

‘I’M GOING TO GIVE HIM SOME PAIN’

Oh-my-god, the sky is falling. While freshly anointed French Open champ Michael Chang was celebrated as the first of the Fab 4 Americans to win a Grand Slam, the slumping Agassi won just one small tournament, as critics howled that he wasn’t mentally tough, couldn’t beat top players, was out of shape, skipped too many Grand Slams, didn’t prepare well enough and was a tin man without a heart. “In one short year,” John Feinstein claimed, “he went from being the delight of the tour to its mystery player. He had become the most blatant tank artist in the game and didn’t seem the least bit bothered.” Even after his one great victory of the year - yet another U.S. Open quarterfinal win over Connors - there was criticism. During the first five-set win of his career, an odd 6-1, 4-6, 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 triumph, two ballboys claimed they heard Andre call out to his brother, “I’m going to take him to five [sets] and give him some pain.” Later, after noting Andre’s 19 unforced errors in the third set, Mike Lupica claimed, “Agassi purposely wanted the match to go five sets to prove that he could win a five-set contest.

‘IMAGE IS EVERYTHING’

It’s just another (pink is out, chartreuse is in) season as Andre debuts his controversial “Image is Everything” campaign for Canon, launches many an F-bomb, spits toward an ump, has a nasty spat with a volunteer driver, is called a bozo by the ITF prez and accrues hefty fines for racket abuse. Andre’s future coach Darin Cahill would say, “What comes out of his mouth is of little significance,” and Newsday’s Barbara Matson imagined how Andre prepared for a match: “Hot-lime statement liner pants: check. Black acid-washed shorts: check. Black-and-white shirt with hot lime: check. Black-and-white shirt with hot lime sleeves: check. Turquoise, lime and white headband knotted in place: check. Gold earring in left ear: check.” Oh yeah, Andre did win the ATP Championships, led the U.S. to its first Davis Cup title since ‘82 and reached (but lost) both the French and U.S. Open finals. Agassi admitted that his 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 loss to Sampras at Flushing Meadows “was an old-fashioned street mugging.” And so began a trend.

DOES HE EVEN CARE?

Now the only one of America’s Fab 4 not to have won a Grand Slam, Andre suffered his third first-round loss at the Open, this time to Aaron Krickstein (who went on to famously become Connors’ fabulous foil), as Jimbo pranced his way to the semis. No wonder unsparing British writers sported T-shirts that announced, “Agassi Diddled While Connors Sizzled”. Sports Illustrated was even harsher, playing up the differences between the two: “Old versus young. Substance versus style. Never were the contrasts between how much Connors means to the game and how little Agassi cares about it so obvious.” But that wasn’t really it. A taller and stronger Andre, who had just gained 26 pounds, had suffered his third straight Grand Slam final loss at the French Open, this one to Courier, his former pal from the Bollettieri stable. The dramatic defeat was so devastating that Andre was again considering quitting, and, despite reaching the Wimbledon quarters, was still reeling by the time of the Open. Still, fans wondered when Mr. Pizzazz was going to walk the walk.

‘THAT WAS ZEN, THIS IS NOW’

Skeptical Andre-watchers didn’t have to wait long. At Wimbledon, Andre fell to his knees in ecstatic disbelief as he won the crown. With a Grand Slam title on his mantle, the U.S. Open proved to be more about Barbra and Buddhism. Not surprisingly, when IT asked Streisand — tennis’ hottest new fan — who her favorite player was, she slowly lifted her arm in a studied manner, paused and whispered in awe, “Oh, Andre. He’s a Zen Master.” Later, she told TV reporter Michael Barkann that Andre had called her after seeing The Prince of Tides, and they talked for two hours. “He’s very, very intelligent, very, very sensitive, very evolved; more than his linear years. ... He’s a kind human being, and that just amazes me.” Mike Lupica zapped back, “If Agassi is an extraordinary human being, then Capriati is well on her way to the Nobel Peace Prize.” Tony Kornheiser added, “I thought Zen was about humility, and it didn’t come in hot lava shorts and a frosted ponytail. But hey, that was Zen and this now.” Okay, giggle at the Zen koan commentary, but slowly something vital was happening. Andre the florescent kid was taking his first steps on a long and winding yellow brick road of transformation.

A YEAR OF LOSS

Andre loses his chest hair. He loses his coach Nick Bollettieri, and he loses face when Sampras becomes No. 1 and jokes, “Nobody should be ranked No. 1 who looks like he just swung from a tree.” Suffering tendonitis in his wrist, his ranking drops to No. 24, he gains eight pounds and loses again in the first round of the Open. Surgery saves his career.

BROOKE, BRAD AND BIKES

Maybe it was his new coach, Brad Gilbert. Maybe it was his new girlfriend, Brooke Shields, or maybe it was all the lowered expectations. In any case, Agassi — unseeded and ranked No. 20 — swept past Chang, Thomas Muster, Todd Martin and Michael Stich to at last claim his first U.S. Open title. Then again, maybe it was because the inexplicable basher often falters when he’s supposed to win (remember the ‘90 and ‘91 French finals) and wins when he’s supposed to falter (think Wimbledon ‘92). The New York Times captured his postmatch delight, noting “He was behaving with the giddy aplomb of a kid who’d just mastered the art of riding his two-wheeler.”

HUMANITARIAN OR LOCKER ROOM DEMON?

Folks are noticing changes in the newly minted Aussie Open champ. No, it wasn’t just that he pulled off the most dramatic (pre-James Blake) hair change in tennis history. No, there was something else about the increasingly reflective and giving guy who had just created the Agassi Foundation and quietly contributed $1 million to Vegas’ Boys and Girls clubs. While Andre told IT that he had “a new, new attitude, “ Sports Illustrated noted, “The hyped twerp with the hair that looked as if it had been poured from a soda fountain has answered every critic and has become a 24-year-old of substance and accomplishment.” Of course, never underestimate the power of talk therapy. Andre explained, “I came to terms with my tennis and my childhood and my dad, and it just released me. When you finally get a little objectivity, you don’t take it so personally.” On court he became No. 1 as he won 26 straight summer hard-court matches. But Boris Becker was biting at his heels, claiming that Nike was getting Andre favors and that he didn’t hang out in the locker room, practice with the guys and wasn’t well liked. Worst yet, in the Open final, Sampras won a key 22-stroke first-set rally and served the lights out to again prevail 6-4, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5. Andre reflected, “I went 26-1 this summer, and I’d give all 26 to get that one back.”

SQUISHY IN THE HEAD?

Wuz goin’on? A fan claims “Brooke is making him squishy in the head.” Bollettieri speculates that Andre might fear getting married. In any case, he is booed off courts in Monte Carlo, Paris and Munich and kicked out of Indy for swearing. Plus, he and Brad Gilbert indulge in a nasty (“you can’t play in my sandbox”) spat with Thomas Muster and his camp, which sort of includes Princess Fergie. The enlightened exchanges feature such reflective thoughts as, “Probably his mother doesn’t even like him,” “He’s just so cocky, so arrogant. Every time you mention his name, I get sick.” And, of course, Andre’s immortal claim, “If Muster is No. 1 at the end of the year, I’ll allow him to sit in the Royal Box and bow to me.” Amid the brouhaha, Andre did manage to become the first American guy to win the Olympic Gold in singles since ‘24, and he did beat Muster in four at the Open. But some said his listless (“where’s the fight”) 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 loss to Chang in the Open semis was disgraceful and stood in marked contrast to Sampras, who famously lost his lunch while “gutting” out a key winning-ugly match over Alex Corretja en route to the title.

WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE

There he was, the game’s most charismatic star, an icon and hero to millions, out on a back court at UNLV, behind a chain-link fence like a thousand other wannabes, playing an anonymous first-round match in a Challenger without a ballboy or network camera in sight. Again hobbled by a wrist injury that flared up just after he married Shields, Agassi’s ranking had fallen to No. 141. Still, he was willing to pay the price, playing glamorless Challengers in Vegas and Burbank. Yes, he was a no-show for the poignant opening-night ceremony for the Open’s new Ashe stadium, and eventual champ Pat Rafter took advantage of Andre’s big-match rustiness to dismiss him in the Open’s fourth round. Still, you could argue that, along with Andre’s tireless charity work, his Slam triumphs, Olympic gold and Davis Cup heroics, his vanity-free willingness to go down to the game’s no-frills minor leagues to retool was one of his finer moments.

‘FROM IMAGE-IS-EVERYTHING’ TO ‘TENNIS-IS-NOTHING’

On the rebound, Andre’s five titles enable him to make the biggest one-year jump into the top 10 in ATP history (from No. 120 to No. 6). But, everywhere, there are signs of midlife crisis. By the end of the season, it will have been almost 3 years since Agassi has reached a Slam final. He announces that he wouldn’t play Davis Cup if it were held in his Vegas backyard and says his financial future depended more on the stock market than his tennis. So it’s no wonder that Tim Keown wrote that Agassi’s career went “from image-is-everything to tennis-is-nothing.” At the Open, he moonballs and mocks the very beatable Czech Karol Kucera before suffering his second straight fourth-round loss.

‘HE COULDN’T BEAT MY MUM. HE’S FINISHED’

What a dismal start. Andre is booted out of San Jose for swearing. Brooke explains that she would see Andre just three weeks a year, and they would be divorcing, and Brit Davis Cup coach David Lloyd announces, “Agassi couldn’t beat my mum now. He’s finished.” But just months later, he not only started dating the love of his life, Steffi Graf, the day after she won the French, he scored the sweetest triumph of his own career, winning Roland Garros to join Fred Perry, Budge, Emerson and Laver as the only men to win all four majors. OK, he lost the Wimby final to Pete (not exactly a wretched result), raced to the U.S. Open final and (with his Greta Garbo-like love watching from seats in the upper ozone) survived eight break points against Todd Martin to score a 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-7 (2), 6-3, 6-2 comeback win. His second U.S. Open title helped him to finish the year at No. 1 for the first time, and his dignity and thoughtfulness impressed more than ever. Sports Illustrated’s S.L. Price noted, “After 11 years marked as much by flameouts and Taco Bell runs as by streaks of on-court brilliance, Agassi became a man in full this year.”

‘CLEARLY OTHER THINGS ARE IN PLAY’

Need some evidence on whether Andre is the most intriguing player in the game? Well, check this out. When asked whether she finds Tim Henman intriguing, the head of the Henman Fan Club said, “No. I find Agassi fascinating.” And certainly part of his intrigue are his “Kerry-esque” flip-flops. After winning the Aussie Open (his third major in four attempts) and leading the U.S. to a first-round Davis Cup win in Zimbabwe, you figure the guy’s going to really dominate. Wrong. Australia would be the last title he’d win this year. After a passionless second-round U.S. Open loss to Frenchman Arnaud Clement, Andre appeared before the press with a vacant expression. With both his mom and sister battling breast cancer, it was easy to understand. His agent and pal Perry Rogers explained, “There are clearly other things in play.”

‘NEVER HAVE I SEEN A BUZZ LIKE THAT’

“I’m most proud,” he told IT, “when I feel totally lost on court, when I feel alone, when I feel like I don’t know if I can do it anymore, and I still tell myself, ‘run and work and try.’” Facing Pete in the Open quarters in their most memorable nonfinal confrontation, Andre worked his archrival big time. And, before the biggest crowd to ever see a men’s tournament match, he didn’t once drop his serve. But it wasn’t enough, as Andre went down in four scintillating tiebreak sets. How exciting was it? Well, when IT asked USTA marketing whiz Arlen Kantarian what has been his favorite U.S. Open moment, he responded: “Pete versus Andre, quarterfinal, nighttime, under the lights, 20,000 people. Never have I seen a buzz like that in a stadium for a live sporting event.”

PETE VS. ANDRE: THE LAST CHAPTER

It was Ted Williams blasting a Fenway homer in his last at bat; Michael Jordan hitting a “death-to-the-Jazz” jumper to win his final NBA Championship. It was Lance Armstrong winning his seventh Tour de France before peddling off into the sunset. Sampras, who hadn’t won a tourney in 26 months and had a dismal summer, played sublime serve-’n’-volley ball to down his greatest rival 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 in the Open final to gain his 14th Slam and to cap his best-in-history career. Yeah, Pete threw Agassi a swell bone, saying, “I’ve needed Andre. He’s pushed me and forced me to add things to my game.” Still, there was little consolation for Agassi, except the eventual realization that Pete would no longer be around to deny him titles. After all, Agassi knew the stats. Pete was undefeated in their four U.S meetings. Pete won six of their nine Slam finals and led the rivalry 20-14. Still, Agassi, now a father, was gracious, saying, “I’ve played some of my most memorable matches against Pete and come out on both sides. We’re opposite in everything we do. It allows for many aspects of the game to reveal themselves. Every point, something special seems like it’s going to happen.”

‘LET’S SEE WHAT YOU’VE GOT, BIG BOY’

Since he was the last of the Fab 4 still on the circuit and was now the oldest player ever to hold the No. 1 ranking, it’s hardly surprising that many began to tease Andre. Courier claimed Agassi had been thinking about retirement since he was 7, and when Andre jokingly confronted Roddick, asking, “Let’s see what you have, big boy,” Andy shot back, “Hair.” Agassi himself insisted there was no problem on court and that he felt old only “when I’m pulling hair out of my ears.” With a new coach Darin Cahill by his side, the Aussie Open champ reached the semis before J.C. Ferrero knocked him out of the Open and off his perch atop the rankings.

‘THE LAST UNSOLD PUPPY IN THE PET SHOP’

As in his youth, critics again were shrill. Some noted, “Since Agassi married Steffi, he’s had more kids than Grand Slam titles “ Others observed, “Agassi, of the limpid eyes, looked like the last unsold puppy in the pet shop ... [and] displayed the foot speed of a man twice his age.” But so what? Three generations of Agassis were on hand at the Open as Pops took on his fifth generation of foes. And in the quarters, Andre seemed about ready to outpunch Federer, the best of the new breed. But just in time, as is his wont, Roger raised his level as play was suspended. The next day, amid gales and dust storms, you would have expected the crafty Las Vegan vet to thrive. But it was the precise young Swiss who adapted, while Andre was hesitant and unsure in a painful 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 loss. Limping down the hall after his defeat, his problematic back seemingly acting up again, the vanquished warrior pondered the thought that, had the match not been suspended the night before, he might have pulled out the last two sets with the rowdy night crowd behind him. “Yeah, well, we’ll never know.”

2005 — ?

© 2005 INSIDE TENNIS All rights reserved.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #28
country flag Gigan

Agassi makes confident start to season at Delray Beach

By Thomas Brown
9 minutes ago

DELRAY BEACH, Florida (Reuters) - Andre Agassi made a confident start to his season when he beat Brazilian Ricardo Mello 6-4 6-4 in the first round of the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships (ITC) on Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 35-year-old top seed, who missed this month's
Australian Open due to an ankle injury, served 10 aces and needed just 67 minutes to see off Mello, the 2004 Delray Beach champion.

"It felt good, it was pain free," Agassi told a news conference, when asked about the ankle. "I've just got to run faster now, that's all."

The eight-times Grand Slam champion, who lost to world number one Roger Federer in last year's
U.S. Open final, said he had felt "random moments of frustration" about his shot selection and a lack of sharpness after an extended period of inactivity.

He laughed off a question about whether he would retire at the end of the season, which would a 21-year career for the Las Vegas native who turns 36 in April.

"Yeah, I don't know. I suppose every year I'm getting closer to it, right? If I come up with any plans I'll call you," he said.

Agassi, who had not played since pulling out of a Masters Cup match against Nikolay Davydenko in November, hinted that time is not really on his side.

"I think as you get older you appreciate things more," he said. "You realize that they'll be over soon."
Old 02-02-2006, 02:40 AM   #29
country flag Gigan

Agassi second win at Delray Beach

Delray Beach, FL (Sports Network) - Top-seeded Andre Agassi and defending champion Xavier Malisse each came away victorious in second-round action at the $380,000 Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

Agassi had to survive three sets to down Ramon Delgado, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-0, at Delray Beach Tennis Center & Stadium. The American led the first set 4-2 before losing four straight games and finding himself behind in just his second match of the season.

He rallied, however, to outlast Delgado in the second-set tiebreaker and put away the 29-year-old from Paraguay in the third rather easily. The match lasted nearly two hours, going one hour, 58 minutes.

Agassi improved to 4-0 lifetime against Delgado.

The third-seeded Malisse needed just two sets to dispose of American Justin Gimelstob, 6-2, 7-5. The Belgian was pushed to the limit in the second set, needing a break on the final game to come away with the victory.

Malisse will next face Sixth-seeded German Florian Mayer, who handled Austrian Oliver Marach 7-5, 6-3.

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez has the honor of facing Agassi in the quarterfinal round. The Spaniard easily defeated American Todd Widom, 6-3, 6-2, uncorking 11 aces in his win.

The winner of this hard-court event will pocket $52,000.

02/01 22:01:50 ET
Old 02-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #30
country flag Gigan

Agassi rallies to beat Delgado

Thu Feb 2, 2:20 AM ET

DELRAY BEACH, United States (AFP) - Top-seeded American Andre Agassi rallied to a 4-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-0 triumph over Paraguayan Ramon Delgado at the ATP Delray Beach Championships.

The 35-year-old Agassi skipped the
Australian Open because of a nagging ankle injury suffered playing racquetball late last year.

He made his 2006 debut at the 380,000 dollar hardcourt event on Monday, dispatching Brazilian Ricardo Mello, 6-4, 6-4.

Agassi faced a much more difficult challenge in Delgado, who beat American Bobby Reynolds in the first round.

After winning the opening set, Delgado was one game away from the upset, taking a 6-5 lead in the second set.

But Agassi won the 12th game of the second set and won the tiebreak before cruising to the victory and setting up a meeting with Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the quarterfinals.

Garcia-Lopez posted a 6-3, 6-2 triumph over American qualifier Todd Widom, who had upset No. 5 Wesley Moodie of South Africa in the first round.