'Spadea ain't afraid of ya': A wifey's insight into the live of ice ice Vinnay. - Page 74 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1096
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Spadea ain't afraid of ya': A wifey's insight into the live of ice ice Vinnay.

The latest from the Ice Man.

Bonnie D. Ford, ESPN:

Vince Spadea suffered his third consecutive first-round ouster in Paris, triggering his own spontaneous VinDawg lyric: "No, I got no dough/Crowd wouldn't leave me alone/Now I've got to pay for my phone/Go home/My life is alone again/My tennis is in trouble for the third time in my career."

Spadea stopped at that point, looking depleted after his five-set loss to France's Julien Benneteau, but offered, "I can keep going. I mean, I know it will make sense if I keep going."

-----------------

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1218789.ece
Zany Vince is still on-form

FRENCH OPEN BLOG: WEDNESDAY
SAD to see Vince Spadea lost to Julien Benneteau of France today.

Aged 33, the American has been on the tour for 15 years although, unusually, his best few seasons have been recently even though he has slipped to 112 in the world.

To say he is a character is something of an understatement. Some people insist he is completely mental. I'd like to say he's eccentric.

He often conducts his post-match interviews by rapping. He posts loads of videos off his phone on YouTube and some of it is indeed a bit barking.

His rant after beating Radek Stepanek in five sets at this year's Australian Open was a corker.

Vince isn't afraid to upset people either, and he angered a number of players when publishing his diary of a year on the tennis circuit.

Normally, current sportsmen do not slag off fellow players but In Break Point Vince says he doesn't really like any other tennis players.

He digs out James Blake, talks about going on the pull with Andy Roddick and says Tim Henman can dish out plenty of stick - but cannot take it.

Hilariously, Vince gives tips on how to pull women. He calls it The Da Vince Code, which I think is genius.

His catchphrase is Vince Spadea - ain't afraid of ya. Unsurprisingly, this features in the first line of his book.

For a taste of a conversation with Vince, I take you to today's press conference at Roland Garros following his five-set loss.
Q: What's for lunch?
Vince: Mars Bar. They want to sponsor me. They own M&Ms.

Q: Toe-to-toe with Benneteau today?
VINCE: No, I've got no dough; crowd wouldn't leave me alone. Now I've got to pay for my phone, go home, my life is alone again. My tennis is in trouble for the third time in my career. I can keep going. I mean, I know it will make sense if I keep going.

Q: You are going home?
VINCE: No. I'm actually going to keep playing until I start accomplishing what I set out to do this year.

Q: You mean you're going to stay here and train and then you're going to go home?
VINCE: I've got a Challenger next week. I'm in Queen's. I'm just grinding. I'm going to be the modern day warrior. Back to the roots.

Q: Next week? Roehampton?
VINCE: Failure's only about quitting.

Q: Justin Gimelstob has quit tennis and gone into TV. Can you see yourself doing that?
VINCE: Oh absolutely. Yeah. We'll see. I may not enjoy it. I may not want to travel. I may want to start a tennis academy. I may want to get back into a completely different field. ... I may want to go back to school. I might want to coach kids in a different environment. Might want to work for the U.S.TA. I may want to get a cup and stand outside a building in New York City. ... There's a lot of people over there, man. Think about it. A quarter of a dollar a person. I'll just rap to them. There's a guy that stands out with a microphone on Hollywood Boulevard.
He just raps to everybody, he's got the coins.

And that was Vince. . .

It'll be a shame when he quits because the sport is short of characters.

Novak Djokovic is one but, generally, tennis players - sportsmen in general - are often afraid to be themselves.

Henman was the obvious example. In the locker room he was the joker but then in front of a TV camera or microphone the barriers came up.

Meanwhile, there were few shocks on the fourth day of Roland Garros.

Maria Sharapova squeezed through beating Evgeniya Rodina 6-1 3-6 8-6 while Ana Ivanovic, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic cruised through their matches.

Andy Murray also played extremely well tonight in his three-set, 98-minute thumping of Jose Acasuso.

But it's Spain's Nicolas Almagro in the third round on Friday and he'll certainly be a tougher opponent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VINCE_SPADEA_280x39_495962a.jpg (15.3 KB, 2 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote