The Official X-man cheering thread - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #151
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official X-man cheering thread

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/t...-sports-tennis
Quote:
`Hometown' Belgian finally wins in ITC
By Michael Russo
Staff Writer
February 7, 2005

DELRAY BEACH Since 1998, when he was a hot-dog teenager with pink hair, Xavier Malisse has played at the Millennium International Tennis Championships.

He twice appeared in the finals without winning, and as the tournament's winningest player, Delray fans began to think of the Belgian as one of their own.

Sunday afternoon, behind a contingent of supporters, the third-seeded Malisse won his first ATP championship, claiming the ITC title and a $52,000 payday with a 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory over second-seeded and 28th-ranked Jiri Novak.

Having to rally from a 5-2 deficit in the first set against a player who hadn't lost a set all week, the 46th-ranked Malisse, 16-5 lifetime at the ITC, broke an 0-for-6 mark in ATP finals.

Even sweeter, victory came against the accomplished Novak, who has won seven ATP titles, including one when Malisse was appearing in his first final as an 18-year-old rookie in Mexico City.

"That was a pretty big monkey, but it's finally off my back," said Malisse, 24, who dropped to the court in tears after Novak's return in a lengthy rally sailed long on match point.

"This is a feeling I've never felt. Probably the best moment was seeing that last ball go out. I knew if I kept giving myself chances, this had to come one day."

Malisse, playing his 117th event, entered as one of two in the top 100 world rankings to have played 100 events and not won a tournament. (Belgian Christophe Rochus, ranked 100th, has played 105.)

Malisse is also the first to lose at least six finals before winning his first since Cedric Pioline ended an 0-for-9 streak in Copenhagen in 1996.

Malisse had lost to Lleyton Hewitt (1999) and Jan-Michael Gambill (2001) in the ITC finals. He said those defeats never entered his mind although Novak, who lost for only the fourth time in 21 matches, had defeated Malisse in four of five previous meetings.[/b]

It looked to be swinging Novak's way in the first set. Having not faced a break point in his previous two matches, he fought back to save two break points in the first game. He eventually broke Malisse's serve in the fourth en route to a 5-2 advantage.

"I had the game under control," said Novak, playing in his 13th final. "But then everything changed."

Malisse held his serve in the eighth game and went after Novak assertively in the ninth. Novak fell behind love-30, saved break point once but couldn't a second time. Malisse handcuffed Novak on a return that he briefly hesitated returning because he thought it would go long.

In the tiebreaker, Malisse jumped out to a 4-1 lead. Novak rallied three times to tie. But at 6-6, Malisse forced a mini-break and was able to serve out the set with a blistering forehand into the corner for an 8-6 victory.

"I got away with the first set, that's for sure," Malisse said.

Having blown such a lead and expended that much energy in his tiebreaker comeback attempt, Novak was dejected heading into the second and his serve was broken in the fourth game.

"[Losing the first set] was a terrible feeling," Novak said..

Added Malisse, "I think in the first game [of the second set, Novak] was definitely mentally out of it. Then mentally he got back, but physically he wasn't as strong."

Malisse is the first to claim a singles and doubles title in 2005. He teamed with countryman Olivier Rochus to defeat Simon Aspelin and Todd Perry for the title in Adelaide in the season opener.

"When I started the season, my goal was to win a [singles] tournament," Malisse said. "Now I won one, so now we have to reset some goals and try to do some better things. I know I can win a title now. I hope this victory gets me to a different level."

In doubles, top-seeded Aspelin and Perry, in their third final of 2005, won their first title together, defeating Jordan Kerr and Jim Thomas 6-3, 6-3.

Michael Russo can be reached at mrusso@sun-sentinel.com.

Copyright 2005, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #152
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute

SAP Open (San Jose)

Tuesday:
1R: MALISSE(BEL)/VANHOUDT(BEL) def. LEVINSKY(CZE)/NOVAK(CZE) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3

Wednesday:
1R: Xavier MALISSE(BEL) def. Yen-Hsun LU(TPE) 6-2, 6-3

Thursday:
2R: Xavier Malisse(BEL) v. (7) Jurgen Melzer(AUT)

TBA:
QF: MALISSE(BEL)/VANHOUDT(BEL) v. (3) Allegro(SUI)/Kohlmann(GER)

Last edited by smucav : 02-10-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #153
Allez-H

Allez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond repute

Keep rolling my man
Allez-H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 AM   #154
zoeziepoezie

zoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond reputezoeziepoezie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Xavke We want more!!!

eSpeCiAlLy:

Olivier Rochus

Also good luck to ~Jarkko Nieminen~Juan Carlos Ferrero~Filippo Volandri~

"Rochus' career serves as tennis proof that size does matter the size of a player's heart and the smallest man on the ATP Tour continues to come up big in that area."
zoeziepoezie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #155
Naomi_85

Naomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud of

Keep going Xavier

Tommy Haas

Guillermo & David

Marat
Naomi_85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #156
Naomi_85

Naomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud ofNaomi_85 has much to be proud of

Xavier lost to Melzer 3-6 3-6

Tommy Haas

Guillermo & David

Marat
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #157
country flag Izebel

Izebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant futureIzebel has a brilliant future

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh
Old 02-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #158
Allez-H

Allez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond reputeAllez-H has a reputation beyond repute

Better luck next time
Allez-H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #159
country flag freesbee
Silly Nando Chica!

freesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond reputefreesbee has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was going to beat Melzer easily!!! hope his good shape hasn't disappeared for half a year now but now I'm being pessimistic again

The Tipsy Chat Thread
Nando's Chicas' and Chico Milan's Chat World
Je suis une Chardette spreading the Cute in the Lovely Thread
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
u shouldnt like people based on hotness
you need to be more like me
freesbee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #160
country flag smucav

Thursday:
2R: (7) Jurgen MELZER (AUT) def. Xavier MALISSE (BEL) 6-3, 6-3
QF: (3) ALLEGRO(SUI)/KOHLMANN(GER) def. MALISSE(BEL)/VanHOUDT(BEL) 3-6,6-3,6-3

Next week: Memphis (Malisse will be seeded)
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #161
Naomi_85

Memphis

(1) Andy Roddick v. Hyung-Taik Lee
Arnaud Clement v. Qualifier
Robby Ginepri v. (WC) Zach Dailey
James Blake v. (6) Mardy Fish

(4) Jiri Novak v. Jan-Michael Gambill
Irakli Labadze v. Jonas Bjorkman
Gregory Carraz v. Kenneth Carlsen
Wayne Arthurs v. (7) Jurgen Melzer

(8) Max Mirnyi v. (WC) Brian Baker
Cyril Saulnier v. Qualifer
Antony Dupuis v. Jeff Morrison
Thomas Enqvist v. (3) Vince Spadea

(5) Xavier Malisse v. Philipp Kohlschreiber
Yen-Hsun Lu v. Qualifer
(WC) Scoville Jenkins v. Kevin Kim
Qualifer v. (2) Tommy Haas

Tommy Haas

Guillermo & David

Marat
Old 02-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #162
country flag Xav

Xav is a glorious beacon of lightXav is a glorious beacon of lightXav is a glorious beacon of lightXav is a glorious beacon of lightXav is a glorious beacon of light

(5) Xavier Malisse v. Philipp Kohlschreiber
I think he will beat easily Kohlschreiber,
Good luck to him!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also: Olivier Rochus Feliciano Lopez Juan-Carlos Ferrero Gaston Gaudio David Nalbandian Tim Henman Kristof Vliegen Juan Ignacio Chela & Roger Federer
Xav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #163
country flag smucav

Memphis:

Tuesday:
1R: (5)X Malisse (BEL) d. P Kohlschreiber (GER) 63 63

Wednesday:
1R: (3)ARTHURS (AUS)/HANLEY (AUS) v. MALISSE (BEL)/VANHOUDT (BEL)

Thursday:
2R: (5)X Malisse (BEL) v. (Q) DANCEVIC, Frank

Last edited by smucav : 02-17-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #164
country flag smucav

Wednesday:
1R: (3)Arthurs/Hanley d. Malisse/Vanhoudt 75 64

Thursday:
2R: (5)X Malisse (BEL) d. (Q)F Dancevic (CAN) 62 62

Friday:
QF: (5)X Malisse (BEL) v. (2) Tommy Haas (GER)

Last edited by smucav : 02-18-2005 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #165
country flag Xmanfan

Xmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond reputeXmanfan has a reputation beyond repute

My my - what's going ON??? I was lucky enough to see all X's matches at Wimbledon - and you know Coria was lucky. What happened in Indy? I would have thought X would get through to meet Andy. If anyone saw the match (not on tv here in UK) can you tell me what went wrong. Cheers:-(
Xmanfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote