Anger at Masters pullouts justified says Federer - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anger at Masters pullouts justified says Federer

Anger at Masters pullouts justified says Federer

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Roger Federer believes that criticism from tournament organizers of a spate of pullouts at the year-ending Masters Cup was fully justified.

The world number one refused to condemn Chinese organizers for calling into question Andre Agassi's reasons for quitting the $4.45 million tournament earlier this week.

"I think criticism is allowed at this point," said Federer after making it two wins out of two in Shanghai on Tuesday.

"They signed a three-year deal. I understand the big disappointment from the government, from the tournament, from the fans."

Agassi pulled out on Monday citing an ankle injury after hobbling to a 6-4 6-2 defeat by Russia's Nikolay Davydenko in his first match.

The American's withdrawal came after Spain's French Open champion Rafael Nadal pulled out through injury. Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt were all Shanghai no-shows.

Organizers were scornful of Agassi's decision to withdraw even though the eight-times grand slam winner arrived in China with an ankle injury.

But Federer sought to heal any potential rift by praising Agassi for trying to play on his sore ankle.

"I don't know how bad it really was...but I think it's still great that he shows up and tried," said Federer. "Maybe the other guys could have tried too.

"I don't know. I don't think so because they know their bodies."

Federer himself was on crutches just three weeks ago after hurting his ankle in practice but has beaten David Nalbandian and Ivan Ljubicic to close in on a third straight Masters Cup title.

"I came here not knowing if I could play and I went through the therapy just to really show the people how much this event really means to me," said the Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion.

"Sort of arrived basically on one leg. Now that I can play it's fantastic. It should also show a message how important this tournament is to tennis. For me this equals a grand slam."

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anger at Masters pullouts justified says Federer

I was raised that it's not what you do it's how you do it. This is why Andre's butt is in a sling and why Federer can't say anything other than what he did.
I'm sure the Andre defenders will come out of the woodwork now.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
country flag Federerthebest

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Fedgod
Federerthebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
country flag Galaxystorm

Galaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
The American's withdrawal came after Spain's French Open champion Rafael Nadal pulled out through injury. Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt were all Shanghai no-shows.

Organizers were scornful of Agassi's decision to withdraw even though the eight-times grand slam winner arrived in China with an ankle injury.

But Federer sought to heal any potential rift by praising Agassi for trying to play on his sore ankle.

"I don't know how bad it really was...but I think it's still great that he shows up and tried," said Federer. "Maybe the other guys could have tried too.

"I don't know. I don't think so because they know their bodies."
I always admire Roger for being a real gentleman , but i think that when he says a comment like this : " "Maybe the other guys could have tried too. " i think it's a little lack of respect towards the players that have withdrawn before playing the first match because he isn't inside the body of those players, and he doesn't know how bad are the injuries, and which is the risk for these players to play and to get worse their injuries
Galaxystorm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #5

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxystorm
I always admire Roger for being a real gentleman , but i think that when he says a comment like this : " "Maybe the other guys could have tried too. " i think it's a lack of respect towards the players that have withdraw before playing the first match because he isn't inside the body of those players, and he doesn't know how bad are the injuries, and which is the risk for these players to play and to get worse their injuries
Perhaps you missed the next sentence in which he clearly recognised that it may not have been possible because they 'know their bodies'
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
country flag Galaxystorm

Galaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerthebest
Perhaps you missed the next sentence in which he clearly recognised that it may not have been possible because they 'know their bodies'
I haven't missed the next sentence since i've quoted it . Existing the last sentence or not, i think he shouldn't give advices when we are talking about a thing as personal/private as an injruy

I think if Roger had withdrawn of the TMC because of his ankle injury he had taken badly ( anger ) that another player told him in a press conference what he has to do or not

Last edited by Galaxystorm : 11-16-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #7

Then how is it arrogant? He says they may have tried but then recognises this may have been impossible due to their injuries
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

The players are treated almost like kings. That's ridiculous

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Well the tournament directors don't care about the injuries to the player, all they care about is profits
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
country flag Galaxystorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerthebest
Then how is it arrogant? He says they may have tried but then recognises this may have been impossible due to their injuries
I'm not telling he has been arrogant, i admire Roger a lot, and this sentence won't make me change my mind about him at all , He's a very nice guy, he's an example of how a nş1 must behave . I'm only saying that i think this sentence/advice wasn't necessary since it can be considered as a meddling and a lack of respect .
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think those comments were necessary at all... Federer doesn't know how these players feel, so he shouldn't comment on it.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #12
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Thread title is a journalist style interpretation of what was said. The interview is far more balanced. Need to read interview carefully.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

mirkaland, thanks for posting Roger's comments. IMO, Roger has been very candid about his feelings, but at the same time he was very diplomatic.Exactly something very indicative of his character. He comes out very genuine, and is charming. Before he was shy but now he has learned to handle the media. I don't believe he has any arrogance at all in him on the court or off.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe the other guys could have tried too.
This statement is particularly arrogant toward the circumstances of Hewitt's withdrawal. I guess that, since Federer is not a father, he cannot understand Hewitt's choice to be with his wife as she approaches their child's birth.

As for Safin and Roddick, given their advantages on carpet, I think to suggest that somehow either was faking or exaggerating their injuries is off-base. If the surface was grass (for Safin) or clay (for Roddick), then the suggestion might have some basis.

Furthermore, Safin has been injured all fall and Roddick was injured at a Master's tournament which Federer was too injured to play.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #15
country flag 1sun

1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxystorm
I always admire Roger for being a real gentleman , but i think that when he says a comment like this : " "Maybe the other guys could have tried too. " i think it's a little lack of respect towards the players that have withdrawn before playing the first match because he isn't inside the body of those players, and he doesn't know how bad are the injuries, and which is the risk for these players to play and to get worse their injuries
lol. boy you do try hard