Will the ATP shorten the season after this mess? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will the ATP shorten the season after this mess?

All of these withdraws, I feel bad for the promoters, the YEC have went to the dumps. It's a joke now, unless you fancy hanging around and listening to Roger talk (which I'd be fine with), what is there to see?

Agassi is gone.
Hewitt is gone.
Safin is gone.
Roddick is gone.
Nadal is gone.

Aside from Lleyton, whom we can't fault for knocking boots, every other player has fallen victim to injury. If this isn't an outcry for some type of intervention by the tour then I don't know what is. Shorten the season.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will the ATP shorten the season after this mess?

no, its a freak season

they used to play until Mid-December until about 1994 or so.
the Grand Slam Cup which everyone died to play was the last event of the yr, 2 weeks after DC finals.

they never had problems then.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
country flag Federerthebest

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, Davydenko played 29 tournaments and is fine... This year has simply been a freak year for injuries.
Federerthebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
country flag amierin
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

amierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond reputeamierin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
no, its a freak season

they used to play until Mid-December until about 1994 or so.
the Grand Slam Cup which everyone died to play was the last event of the yr, 2 weeks after DC finals.

they never had problems then.
The game has changed a heck of a lot since 1994 even if the people running tennis aren't aware of it. Wooden racquets aren't coming back. Speed and power as well as finesse are what counts now. This type of play produces a lot of wear and tear on the body and that is why the injury count is so high. Despite what Ljubo said I saw Fed/Nalbandian and that surface is fast. I believe he also said you couldn't get any traction on it and that it was closer to grass in how it played. Something does need to be done about the length of the tour.

It's also a shame that Puerta is playing with a cloud over his head and that he has a chance to win this and then face a permanent ban if the rumors are true.
amierin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the ATP (or the WTA) needs to shorten the season. My problem with the scheduling concerns back to back TMS (IW/Miami and Madrid/Paris) but otherwise I hold the players hugely responsible for their own schedules.

Players are always going to get injured but they also need to allow themselves proper time to heal before returning to the circuit.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
country flag case

case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute

The season has turned into an endurance test, rather than tennis. The ATP is shooting their own players in the foot!
Shorten the season, the matches -anything at his point! Right now all that the ATP is shortening is the career of its top players.
Second rate players winning year end tournaments is not good for the sport.
case is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #7
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amierin
The game has changed a heck of a lot since 1994 even if the people running tennis aren't aware of it. Wooden racquets aren't coming back. Speed and power as well as finesse are what counts now. This type of play produces a lot of wear and tear on the body and that is why the injury count is so high. Despite what Ljubo said I saw Fed/Nalbandian and that surface is fast. I believe he also said you couldn't get any traction on it and that it was closer to grass in how it played. Something does need to be done about the length of the tour.

It's also a shame that Puerta is playing with a cloud over his head and that he has a chance to win this and then face a permanent ban if the rumors are true.
there werent any wooden racquets back in 1994, they went out nearly 20 yrs ago.
serve & volley puts alot more stress on you then any baseline game ever will.

and Puerta couldnt win this event even if there was 7 girls in the tourn.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #8
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Andre hasn't played since the US Open. Fed injured his ankle in practice and called it "bad luck". What does that have to do with the long season? I don't think what happened this year is because the season is too long.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

It has everything to do with the long season.

The game has changed so you can't look at what happened even 10 years ago.

The entire tournament is a joke, and when you have a lot of players not playing in the last two masters series events, something is obviously wrong.

And what's wrong is that the season is too long!
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Andre hasn't played since the US Open. Fed injured his ankle in practice and called it "bad luck". What does that have to do with the long season? I don't think what happened this year is because the season is too long.
Most of these so-called "injuries" were never existent to begin with or completely blown out of proportion, used as a cop-out or a vacationing period. Andre doesn't care about anything aside from Slams at this point in his career, can't waste his time playing much of anything else aside from a warm up tourney or two.

I just don't buy lots of these injuries, with the exception of Safin I doubt the authenticity of the rest.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna
Most of these so-called "injuries" were never existent to begin with or completely blown out of proportion, used as a cop-out or a vacationing period. Andre doesn't care about anything aside from Slams at this point in his career, can't waste his time playing much of anything else aside from a warm up tourney or two.

I just don't buy lots of these injuries, with the exception of Safin I doubt the authenticity of the rest.
Yeah, I suppose Roger used crutches and is now using an ankle brace just to keep perpetuating the lie that he injured himself. And the 6 weeks off after Wimbledon just wasn't enough vacation....

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to say as fact these injuries were never existent is bs.....how do any of us really know?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
country flag hitchhiker

hitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond repute

You think this is a mess? Wait until we have the Croatian basketball team playing the Slovak football team for the davis cup due to injuries.
hitchhiker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #13
country flag ToanNguyen

ToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose Roger used crutches and is now using an ankle brace just to keep perpetuating the lie that he injured himself. And the 6 weeks off after Wimbledon just wasn't enough vacation....

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to say as fact these injuries were never existent is bs.....how do any of us really know?
Agree completely. Cannot stand it when people think that Roger's injuries are non-existent or out of proportion. Please, the man walked on crutches for 2 weeks.
ToanNguyen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna
Agassi is gone.
Hewitt is gone.
Safin is gone.
Roddick is gone.
Nadal is gone.
With exception of Nadal neither of these players overplayed. And Nadal has only himself to blame.. Played too much of crappy clay.. Also having too much of muscle mass inevitably bring some pain to legs and feet that hav to carry that mass. No other tennis player has that.. and for a reason..
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:

Crutches ? Merely a prop. Nobody will ever really know, which is precisely why the masses shouldn't base their opinions on the timing of these so-called "injuries", especially when there's been an awful lot of speculation and an argument could be made for both sides that would be plausible.