Juani News & Articles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
country flag Eugenia

Eugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Juani News & Articles

Here is the Juan Ignacio News & Articles thread! Everybody can post articles, news and interviews (obviously) about Juan. Have fun reading them!

♥ Gaston Gaudio ♥ Juan Mónaco ♥ Eduardo Schwank ♥
♥ Horacio Zeballos ♥ Chucho Acasuso ♥ Federico Delbonis ♥
♥ Leonardo Mayer ♥ Facundo Arguello ♥ Agustin Velotti ♥

Missing: Guillermo Coria ♥ Guillermo Cañas ♥ Mariano Zabaleta ♥ Agustin Calleri ♥ Mariano Puerta ♥ Emiliano & Edgardo Massa ♥ Diego Hartfield ♥
Also good luck to Marat Safin, Tomas Berdych, Pablo Cuevas, Paul Henri-Mathieu and Richard Gasquet!
Eugenia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
country flag Eugenia

Eugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juani News & Articles

2004 Estoril Open - April 18, 2004

Chela Completes Estoril Double

Chela with his third ATP trophy.
© Joao Lagos Sports

Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela captured his first ATP title in nearly two years after defeating Russia's Marat Safin in the final of the Estoril Open.

Chela, the No. 5 seed whose two previous titles came on clay in Mexico City in 2000 and Amersfoort in 2002, claimed the third championship of his career with a 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-3 victory over the No. 8 seed in 2 hours, 24 minutes.

"I won singles and doubles, so it's like a dream," said Chela. "It was a really tough match. I was a little bit nervous at the end and I'm really happy that I have beaten Marat. He's one of the best players in the world, so it's very important for me."

The win marked Chela's first career win against Safin, having lost all three of their previous meetings. With the win, Chela receives 35 INDESIT ATP 2004 Race points.

The victory completed a great tournament for Chela, who won the doubles title with countryman Gaston Gaudio on Saturday. He became the first player to win singles and doubles at the same tournament on the ATP circuit this year, and the second player to achieve the feat in Estoril, joining Emilio Sanchez (1990).

Chela also became the second Argentine winner at the Estadio Nacional in the last three years, after David Nalbandian captured the title in 2002.
Safin, who was attempting to become the second consecutive Russian to claim the title following Nikolay Davydenko's win last year, was appearing in the 20th final of his career and his second of the season having lost to Roger Federer at the Australian Open. Safin now has an 11-9 record in finals on the ATP circuit. He was looking to capture his first title since winning the ATP Masters Series event in Paris in 2002.

On what was a windy day in Estoril, Chela won the first three games of the final and was seemingly cruising through the opening set before Safin hit back to level matters at 3-3. In the 11th game, Safin broke Chela's serve for the second time to serve for the set, but Chela broke back immediately to force a tie-break. However, the Argentine could do nothing to stop Safin, who took the opening set in 37 minutes after winning the tie-break 7-2 when Chela served the fourth of his seven double faults to lose his first set of the tournament.

In the second set, Chela broke Safin's serve in the fifth game of the second set as the Russian made a number of unforced errors. Safin's frustration was clearly evident as he smashed his racquet and received a second warning, resulting in a point penalty at the start of the next game.

Chela then began to take control of the match, breaking Safin to love to take the second set and opened up a 3-0 lead in the decider. Although Safin got back on terms at 2-3, it was only a temporary reprieve as Chela regained the initiative and served for the championship at 5-3. Although Safin saved three match points, Chela sealed his victory when the Russian's backhand sailed long.

"There were very though conditions because of the wind," said Chela. "It looked like Marat had more trouble with that, especially in the second set, and then I took my chances. I kept my plan for the match, hitting his forehand. I knew it would be a long match so I never lost my nerve."

A disappointed Safin said: "I had my chances in the second set but I just couldn't take them. Then he got stronger and more solid. Maybe I was looking for the fast way to win. Maybe I went for too much and I put too much pressure on myself to win the second set. That's when I started to make mistakes and got more and more frustrated."

But the Russian was optimistic about the upcoming clay court season. "I have to be positive," he added. "These kind of losses, they can upset you. But I have to look at it in a positive way. I went for two and a half weeks without playing, and then I've beat Robredo in a really tough match. So I'm playing well and I think at a good level of tennis, so I'm looking forward and I'm satisfied with the way I'm playing. I have to take it step by step."

Missing: Guillermo Coria ♥ Guillermo Cañas ♥ Mariano Zabaleta ♥ Agustin Calleri ♥ Mariano Puerta ♥ Emiliano & Edgardo Massa ♥ Diego Hartfield ♥
Also good luck to Marat Safin, Tomas Berdych, Pablo Cuevas, Paul Henri-Mathieu and Richard Gasquet!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
country flag Eugenia

2004 Estoril Open - April 17, 2004

Gaudio, Chela Claim Doubles Crown

Gaudio and Chela with the doubles trophies.
© ATP

Juan Ignacio Chela followed up his singles semifinal victory by capturing the Estoril Open doubles title after teaming up with fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio to defeat top seeds Frantisek Cermak and Leos Friedl of the Czech Republic.

Chela and Gauido maintained their 100 percent record together in 2004 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in just 59 minutes. The Argentines are now 7-0 together this year, having captured the title in Vina del Mar - where they defeated Cermak and Friedl in the semifinal.

It is the second ATP doubles title for both Chela and Gaudio.

"It's great to win another title," said Gaudio. "We've been working a lot together and preparing very hard for the doubles, so we're very happy to have won here this year."

Chela added: "We like playing together and we would like to win one of the ATP Masters Series events."

Cermak and Friedl were attempting to capture their third title together and the fourth of their careers overall. They teamed up to win Sopot in 2002 and Casablanca in 2003 while the Estoril Open was their seventh runner-up finish. Friedl was appearing in his second doubles final this year (Costa do Sauipe w/Behrend).

In the women's doubles, Emmanuelle Gagliardi and Janette Husarova claimed the title with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Olga Blahotova and Gabriela Navratilova.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
country flag Sandra

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia
2004 Estoril Open - April 18, 2004

Chela Completes Estoril Double

Chela with his third ATP trophy.
© Joao Lagos Sports

Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela captured his first ATP title in nearly two years after defeating Russia's Marat Safin in the final of the Estoril Open.

Chela, the No. 5 seed whose two previous titles came on clay in Mexico City in 2000 and Amersfoort in 2002, claimed the third championship of his career with a 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-3 victory over the No. 8 seed in 2 hours, 24 minutes.

"I won singles and doubles, so it's like a dream," said Chela. "It was a really tough match. I was a little bit nervous at the end and I'm really happy that I have beaten Marat. He's one of the best players in the world, so it's very important for me."

The win marked Chela's first career win against Safin, having lost all three of their previous meetings. With the win, Chela receives 35 INDESIT ATP 2004 Race points.

The victory completed a great tournament for Chela, who won the doubles title with countryman Gaston Gaudio on Saturday. He became the first player to win singles and doubles at the same tournament on the ATP circuit this year, and the second player to achieve the feat in Estoril, joining Emilio Sanchez (1990).

Chela also became the second Argentine winner at the Estadio Nacional in the last three years, after David Nalbandian captured the title in 2002.
Safin, who was attempting to become the second consecutive Russian to claim the title following Nikolay Davydenko's win last year, was appearing in the 20th final of his career and his second of the season having lost to Roger Federer at the Australian Open. Safin now has an 11-9 record in finals on the ATP circuit. He was looking to capture his first title since winning the ATP Masters Series event in Paris in 2002.

On what was a windy day in Estoril, Chela won the first three games of the final and was seemingly cruising through the opening set before Safin hit back to level matters at 3-3. In the 11th game, Safin broke Chela's serve for the second time to serve for the set, but Chela broke back immediately to force a tie-break. However, the Argentine could do nothing to stop Safin, who took the opening set in 37 minutes after winning the tie-break 7-2 when Chela served the fourth of his seven double faults to lose his first set of the tournament.

In the second set, Chela broke Safin's serve in the fifth game of the second set as the Russian made a number of unforced errors. Safin's frustration was clearly evident as he smashed his racquet and received a second warning, resulting in a point penalty at the start of the next game.

Chela then began to take control of the match, breaking Safin to love to take the second set and opened up a 3-0 lead in the decider. Although Safin got back on terms at 2-3, it was only a temporary reprieve as Chela regained the initiative and served for the championship at 5-3. Although Safin saved three match points, Chela sealed his victory when the Russian's backhand sailed long.

"There were very though conditions because of the wind," said Chela. "It looked like Marat had more trouble with that, especially in the second set, and then I took my chances. I kept my plan for the match, hitting his forehand. I knew it would be a long match so I never lost my nerve."

A disappointed Safin said: "I had my chances in the second set but I just couldn't take them. Then he got stronger and more solid. Maybe I was looking for the fast way to win. Maybe I went for too much and I put too much pressure on myself to win the second set. That's when I started to make mistakes and got more and more frustrated."

But the Russian was optimistic about the upcoming clay court season. "I have to be positive," he added. "These kind of losses, they can upset you. But I have to look at it in a positive way. I went for two and a half weeks without playing, and then I've beat Robredo in a really tough match. So I'm playing well and I think at a good level of tennis, so I'm looking forward and I'm satisfied with the way I'm playing. I have to take it step by step."
i remember the match
I hated him afterwards
Old 11-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

I have already posted ths article over in Mariano Puerta's Forum - but thought people here would like to read it too. Juan is on vacation now of course, but he is still finding the time to do some charity work in Argentina. He will be taking part in a Charity Team Tennis Tournament which runs from 1st to 8th December in various different venues, and is raising money for something called "The Food Bank" which distributes food and help to disadvantaged people.

Here is an article about it (in Spanish), along with the link to the original.

http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsand...res_charity.asp

Tenistas argentinos disputan torneo benéfico

Varios de los mejores tenistas argentinos del momento suspenderán por unos días sus vacaciones para tomar parte del torneo Interclubes de Primera División. Allí se podrá seguir a Mariano Puerta, José Acasuso , Juan Ignacio Chela, Mariano Zabaleta y el ecuatoriano Giovanni Lapentti, entre otros.

El certamen, rebautizado "La Liga de Primera" a partir de la presente temporada, tendrá un fin solidario, ya que la entrada para seguir la competencia será la entrega de alimentos no perecederos, que serán destinados al Banco de Alimentos, una organización no gubernamental que ayuda a 52.000 personas diariamente.

Además de los citados profesionales, también participarán Carlos Berlocq, Mariano Hood, Sebastián Prieto, Diego Hartfield; ex jugadores como Christian Miniussi (bronce olímpico en Barcelona 92), y jóvenes promesas como Máximo González, Leonardo Mayer u Horacio Zeballos, entre otros.

El 21 de noviembre se realizará el sorteo y el torneo comenzará el 1 de diciembre, cuando se conformen cuatro zonas de cuatro equipos. Los dos mejores avanzarán a un cuadro de eliminación directa. Las semifinales y finales de esta competencia que repartirá 30.000 pesos argentinos en premios se disputarán el 7 y 8 de diciembre en River Plate. El Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, con Puerta, Chela, Hood, Zeballos y Diego Moyano en su lista de buena fe, aparece como el candidato.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
country flag Denisse

Denisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond reputeDenisse has a reputation beyond repute

thanx for that article!
Denisse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
country flag Eugenia

Thanks for posting the article Rosie!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Juan will start his 2006 campaign in Australia on 2nd January - he is on the entry list for the New Generation Hardcourt event in Adelaide. Good Luck Juan.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 11-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Next week, Juan will be playing in an exhibition event in Patagonia. It is called the Patagonia Open and takes place between the 2nd and 4th December. Juan Monaco and Mariano Zabaleta will also be taking part. Here is a link to an article about it (in Spanish).

http://www.rionegro.com.ar/arch200511/25/d25n01.php

Old 11-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
country flag Mara_M

Mara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond reputeMara_M has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Juani News & Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
i remember the match
I hated him afterwards
me too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by musefanatic
Well you're welcome to share me bed with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff
Do look, imperial shadow - the Romanian nation,
At Dana, Miru, Iza, your mighty progenies,
With racquets like steel and hearts of fire impetuous,
It's either "Win this match or f**k off!"
Remember, life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile
Mara_M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
country flag Eugenia

ESPNDeportes.com
Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=391682

Viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2005

Ganó el que se cansó menos

En un partido muy disputado, Juan Ignacio Chela superó a José Acasuso y avanzó a las semifinales de la Copa Argentina

Juan Ignacio Chela superó a José Acasuso (AP)

Por NATALIA TCHUKRAN

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) - En el segundo partido de los cuartos de final de la Copa Argentina Juan Ignacio Chela venció en tres duros sets a José Acasuso por 7-5, 3-6 y 7-5.

Después de las tormentas intermitentes de la tarde, la noche se posó en Buenos Aires con una temperatura agradable. El estadio ya lucía casi completo y todo se combinaba para ver un buen partido.

La paridad dominó el primer parcial, con ambos sólidos desde el fondo. Acasuso se fortalecía desde el servicio y Chela con su aceleración de derecha.

Cuando todo hacía suponer que el set se definía en tie break, "Chucho" dio ventajas con su saque y cometió una doble falta clave que le permitió al 40° del mundo cerrar el primer set por 7-5.

Uno de los mejores puntos del torneo llegó en el arranque del segundo set, con Chela al saque. El jugador de Ciudad Evita la dejó corta en la red y el misionero la cruzó por entre sus piernas, lo que despertó una ovación en las tribunas. Ese game terminó siendo de Acasuso, que sacó provecho de la desconcentración de su rival, que entró el servicio con un par de doble faltas.

Pese a los pronósticos de partido "palo y palo", el encuentro era entretenido, con buenos toques en la red que contagiaban al público porteño.

Demasiados tiros largos Chela cooperaron para que Acasuso volviese a quebrar en el noveno game y empareje el marcador en set iguales, lo que sonaba a resultado más justo, después de lo hecho por "Chucho" en el primer parcial.

El último set bajó el nivel. Los games transcurrían sin quiebres pero con mayores errores de ambos lados. Pelotas largas, "enganchadas", golpes imprecisos. Un concierto de malas elecciones desembocó en el quiebre de Chela, que tomó ventaja en el séptimo game.

En el décimo game, cuando el de Ciudad Evita sacaba para partido, Acasuso presionó, ajustó su derecha y emparejó el parcial en cinco iguales. Sin embargo, el trámite del partido era muy inestable para ambos. Chela volvió a quebrar y encaminó el partido a su favor.

En la recta final del partido pareció que ninguno podía ganar pero tampoco ninguno quería perder. Chela terminó mejor enfocado y terminó adueñándose del partido por 7-5, 3-6 y 7-5.

"Fue un partido muy intenso y traté de estar enfocado en el final", comentó el ganador, que enfrentará a David Nalbandian.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
country flag Corina2605

Corina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond repute

Another article from espndeportes.com. Juan says that at the moment he feels more comfortable on hard court than on clay court. Hope this is a good sign for the Australian summer Vamos Juan!

Ya está grande para el sube y baja

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela dijo que en la pretemporada para el próximo año está "trabajando para recuperar la regularidad"

BUENOS AIRES -- El tenista argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, 40 en el ranking mundial de ATP, comentó que en esta pretemporada está "trabajando para recuperar la regularidad".
En diálogo con DyN, Chela dijo que "este año tuve demasiados altibajos y los momentos malos fueron más que los buenos. Esto es algo que no puede volver a ocurrir si quiero estar más arriba en el ranking".

Chela había estado a finales de 2004 entre los 15 mejores del mundo, pero los altibajos lo hicieron caer hasta cerca del puesto 50.

"Creo que esto pasó porque en el final de la temporada tuve muchos torneos. Hice una gira muy larga y no estoy acostumbrado a eso", explicó el jugador entrenado por Roberto Azar.

Chela contó que se perdió Wimbledon, Bastad y Stuttgart por una pubalgia "por lo que quise recuperar el tiempo perdido y lleguè muy cansado a la gira de torneos bajo techo".

Por último, comentó que actualmente se siente "más cómodo en canchas rápidas que en las de polvo de ladrillo. Me pasó el año pasado en Australia y en la gira previa al US Open y espero que no me pase en 2006 ya que quiero jugar bien en todos lados".

Good luck to Pico Monaco, Juan Chela, Gaston Gaudio, Machi Gonzalez, Edu Schwank, Fabio Fognini, Roger Federer, Marco Chiudinelli, Rafa Nadal, Juan-Carlos Ferrero, Fernando Verdasco, Tommy Robredo, David Ferrer and Marc Lopez

Vamos ARG DC team!!! 2011 is the year to win the title!!!! Vamos!!!
Corina2605 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #13
country flag Eugenia

^Thanks Corina! Juan lost his match last saturday, I couldn't watch it but it seemed a good match!

ESPNdeportes.com Sábado, 17 de diciembre de 2005

Cumplió con los pronósticos

David Nalbandian venció a Juan Ignacio Chela y avanzó a la final de la Copa Argentina donde enfrentará a Agustín Calleri

Por NATALIA TCHUKRAN

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) -- Como la gran mayoría quería y esperaba, David Nalbandian alcanzó la final de la 3° edición de la Copa Argentina luego de vencer a Juan Ignacio Chela por 6-4 y 6-3.

El campeón de la Copa Masters se medirá el domingo con Agustín Calleri, que superó a Luis Horna en la otra de las semifinles.

Con Maradona alentando nuevamente a David y las tribunas del Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis casi repletas, la fresca noche de Buenos Aires fue testigo de la segunda semifinal.

El primer game del partido, con Chela al saque, ilustró de alguna manera lo que sería la tónica del set: puntos largos y muy disputados, con errores repartidos hacia ambos lados de la red.

Al número 6 del mundo se lo veía en mejor nivel que en el partido ante Juan Mónaco, rápido de reflejos, buscando buenos ángulos. Así, en el tercer game llegó el quiebre y Nalbandian sacó una ventaja de 3-1.

El parcial transcurrió entonces con largos peloteos y la combinación de un tiro ganador seguido del error más pueril. Ninguno sostenía una buena racha de golpes.

El campeón de Shangai mantenía la ventaja pero Chela resistía. Sin embargo, y pese a algún que otro momento de duda, el cordobés impuso su jerarquía y se llevó el parcial por 6-4.

En el comienzo del segundo set, el jugador de Ciudad Evita pareció vestirse de Nalbandian, con toques sutiles y buenas colocaciones que no le dieron chances al favorito del torneo.

Chela se adelantó 2-0 pero duró muy poco. Nuevamente el trámite del set se hizo imprevisible e irregular. Nalbandián quebró en el tercero, luego en el quinto pero Chela no aflojó y también doblegó el saque del cordobés, que inmediatamente volvió a quebrar.

Con el 5-3 a favor del 6° del mundo, ambos disputaron uno de los games más vistosos de la noche, con toques angulados y certeros drops.

Encontrando sus mejores golpes, Nalbandian cerró el segundo parcial y partido para cumplir con las expectativas y definir la Copa Argentina.

El festejo albiceleste ya está garantizado en la final ante Agustín Calleri, que además verá un nuevo duelo cordobés. Las apuestas están en el rey David pero el "Gordo" Calleri quiere robarle protagonismo. ¿Podrá?

Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
country flag Corina2605

Corina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina2605 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an article about Juan's great win against Lleyton Hewitt in the second round of the Australian Open 2006

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399887

Publicado: jueves, 19 de enero de 2006

Su alegría más esperada

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela disfruta como nunca del triunfo logrado sobre el australiano Lleyton Hewitt en Australia, el mejor de toda su carrera

MELBOURNE (EFE) -- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela causó la gran sorpresa de la segunda ronda al derrotar al ídolo local y tercer favorito, Lleyton Hewitt, se tomó la revancha de la derrota sufrida ante el australiano en la tercera ronda del Abierto de Australia del 2005, y consideró este triunfo uno de los más importantes de su carrera.

Chela, jugando un extraordinario partido, se impuso por 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (8-10) y 6-2 en dos horas y 33 minutos y no sólo dejó afuera del torneo a Hewitt, sino también fuera de los primeros diez de la clasificación mundial de la ATP.

A su vez, Chela avanza a la tercera ronda del primer Grand Slam del año, donde enfrentará al belga Kristof Vliegen, verdugo del español Fernando Verdasco.

Después de un encuentro que tuvo enorme trascendencia a través del país, con un diario declarando a Chela el "enemigo público número uno", al ser consultado por EFE sobre cuál es el significado deportivo y personal de este triunfo, el argentino dijo: "La verdad que es muy importante, creo que es el mejor de toda mi carrera por jugar aquí con el ídolo local y por todo lo que había pasado el año pasado. Era un partido muy especial, que tenía muchas ganas de ganarlo".

Sobre si la victoria la tomó como una revancha, Chela manifestó: "Sí la verdad que el año pasado, después del partido me había ido muy mal de acá, y este año, cuando vi el cuadro pensé que era duro por tocarme Hewitt en segunda. Pero para ganarle había que estar en la cancha y fue una alegría muy grande lograrlo".

"Si me preguntaban antes de empezar el torneo a quién le quería ganar en la cancha central, habría dicho a Hewitt. La verdad que se me dio y estoy disfrutando mucho este momento", añadió Chela.

Respecto a la campaña negativa de la prensa local, Chela señaló que evitó leer los diarios para no desconcentrarse del encuentro y para no ponerse nervioso antes del mismo.

Translation (it's far from perfect, but I tried my best..):

His most hoped joy

Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela enjoys his victory against Australian Lleyton Hewitt in Australia as never, it was the best victory of his career

MELBOURNE (EFE) -- Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela caused the great surprise of the second round by defeating local idol and third seed Lleyton Hewitt. He took revenge of the suffered loss against the Australian in the third round of the Australian Open in 2005 and considered this triumph as one of the most important of his career.

Chela, playing an extraordinary match, won 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (8-10) and 6-2 in two hours and 33 minutes and did not only put Hewitt outside of the tournament, but also out of the top ten of the ATP world ranking.

At the same time, Chela advances to the third round of the first Grand Slam of the year, where he will face Belgian Kristof Vliegen, conqueror of Spanish Fernando Verdasco.

After an encounter that had enormous significance through the country, with a newspaper declaring Chela the "public enemy number one", the Argentine said: "The truth is that this triumph is very important, I believe this is the best win of my career, playing here against the local idol and because of everything that happened last year. It was a very special match which I wanted to win very much".

Asked if he sees this victory as a revenge, Chela declared: "Yes, the truth is that last year, after the match, things went badly from here, and this year, when I saw the draw, I thought it was difficult having to play Hewitt in the second round. But to win the match, you need to be on court and it was a great joy to achieve it".

"If they asked me before the start of the tournament who I wanted to beat on central court, I would have said Hewitt. The truth is that it happened and I am enjoying this moment very much", added Chela.

With respect to the negative campaign in the local press, Chela indicated that he avoided to read the newspapers, since he didn't wanted to get distracted and nervous before the encounter.

Good luck to Pico Monaco, Juan Chela, Gaston Gaudio, Machi Gonzalez, Edu Schwank, Fabio Fognini, Roger Federer, Marco Chiudinelli, Rafa Nadal, Juan-Carlos Ferrero, Fernando Verdasco, Tommy Robredo, David Ferrer and Marc Lopez

Vamos ARG DC team!!! 2011 is the year to win the title!!!! Vamos!!!
Corina2605 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
country flag Eugenia

I have a lot of articles and interviews from the 2006 Australian Open. I'm going to post some of them, if you want more just left a message here!