New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
country flag prima donna
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

I'm sitting here thinking and it just randomly pops up in my head what this game has changed from, instead of making progress, it's almost like things are going backwards. The classic game of tennis that once was made so popular by the likes of Bill Tilden, Rod Laver and John McEnroe have gone out of the window. How many old school style players are there anymore ?

So much for guys like Edberg, I respect Borg (2nd best of all-time) and all, but he is partially to blame for this, he played hockey much of his life and thus his mechanics were very unusual, quite unique, extreme western grip he used ... there's no more classic serve & volley game or flat strokes accompanied by continental grips that once made the game so exciting. I can understand why, most tournaments were played on grass and thus players conformed to what style of play would be a success on that particular surface.

Sampras was somewhat old school, even his racquet was a modernized rip-off of the Jack Kramer. Federer is very old school, which is exactly why he dominates. The game is becoming ugly, with all of these extreme grips and the usage of heavy spin, you have many freak victories, because they play such an unusual game that it's difficult to pick up on the 1st or 2nd time you meet them. I won't say any names, but this new generation of tennis is sort of becoming a combination of ball-bashing and moonball tennis, not to mention with the steroid era, certain french open players that were runner-up to Nadal will make unusually speedy progress ... quite mysterious huh :retard:

As if this weren't enough, sportsmanship is at an all-time low. It's hard enough to like a guy that's blasting 150mph serves and a ground game a journeyman ranked 125 in the world would even get a chuckle at. I'm sometimes feeling like a hypocrite, because I actually like Karlovic and despise Roddick, but I think Roddick's game accompanied by his attitude is what makes me so sick. Karlovic is just trying to earn a living, Roddick is masquerading around as an actual tennis player until a guy like Fedex or Hewitt puts him in his place.

I guess that I'll have to accept this new brand of tennis, so I reluctantly embrace the likes of Gasquet & Berdych, atleast they have a classy demeanor and some finesse to their tennis game.

Last edited by prima donna : 11-09-2005 at 02:31 PM.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
country flag marifline
Registered User
 
marifline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,184
marifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond reputemarifline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
I guess that I'll have to accept this new brand of tennis, so I embrace the likes of Gasquet & Berdych, atleast they have a classy demeanor and finesse to their tennis game.
and Santoro
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremda01 View Post
hear we go again 2 bps, only one is needed.
Because sometimes, you just need the obvious to be stated.
marifline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
tennischick
Registered User
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,771
tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
I'm sitting here thinking and it just randomly pops up in my head what this game has changed from, instead of making progress, it's almost like things are going backwards. The classic game of tennis that once was made so popular by the likes of Bill Tilden, Rod Laver and John McEnroe have gone out of the window. How many old school style players are there anymore ?

So much for guys like Edberg, I respect Borg (2nd best of all-time) and all, but he is partially to blame for this, he played hockey much of his life and thus his mechanics were very unusual, quite unique, extreme western grip he used ... there's no more classic serve & volley game or flat strokes accompanied by continental grips that once made the game so exciting. I can understand why, most tournaments were played on grass and thus players conformed to what style of play would be a success on that particular surface.

Sampras was somewhat old school, even his racquet was a modernized rip-off of the Jack Kramer. Federer is very old school, which is exactly why he dominates. The game is becoming ugly, with all of these extreme grips and the usage of heavy spin, you have many freak victories, because they play such an unusual game that it's difficult to pick up on the 1st or 2nd time you meet them. I won't say any names, but this new generation of tennis is sort of becoming a combination of ball-bashing and moonball tennis, not to mention with the steroid era, certain french open players that were runner-up to Nadal will make unusually speedy progress ... quite mysterious huh :retard:

As if this weren't enough, sportsmanship is at an all-time low. It's hard enough to like a guy that's blasting 150mph serves and a ground game a journeyman ranked 125 in the world would even get a chuckle at. I'm sometimes feeling like a hypocrite, because I actually like Karlovic and despise Roddick, but I think Roddick's game accompanied by his attitude is what makes me so sick. Karlovic is just trying to earn a living, Roddick is masquerading around as an actual tennis player until a guy like Fedex or Hewitt puts him in his place.

I guess that I'll have to accept this new brand of tennis, so I reluctantly embrace the likes of Gasquet & Berdych, atleast they have a classy demeanor and some finesse to their tennis game.
my coach said a number of similar things last night. he said that when he went to the tourny in Houston, he was shocked by how poorly Rodiick and others were volleying. i asked him what he thought caused the change from say players like Edberg (whom he also mentioned) to now. and his theory is that the players from that era did not put as much body contortion into the serve, such that they could move immediately into the court to set up the volley. and the new style of serving contorts the body so much (in order to produce more power) that the play is untill unwinding out of it by the time the ball is coming back so they can't get into the court to volley. i thought it was an interesting perspective.
__________________
Q. When you've played as few matches as you have over the last two, three months, did you ever lack motivation to go out and practice?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,469
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
I guess that I'll have to accept this new brand of tennis, so I reluctantly embrace the likes of Gasquet & Berdych, atleast they have a classy demeanor and some finesse to their tennis game.
Times change and if it bothers you that much, then don't watch tennis, it goes in cycles and Borg isn't to blame at all, it doesn't even go that far back, one players got more professional then the game changed, that has happened in a lot of sports and tennis is no exception, things move forward, sometimes for the better and other times not.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
country flag case
Registered User
 
case's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,131
case has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond reputecase has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Don't you ever make a comment without insulting someone? Telling MyskinaLova to stop watching the game is rude and not the point. It is valid argument and many others have made similar arguments. The players from the past weren't professionals? Which ones? Ashe? Laver? I don't understand your use of the term professional. What, they weren't good enough to be called professional or they played for free? You said they became professional after Bjorg? He did change the game, but professional tennis was around before Bjorg.

Your comment, of one sentence, really does not address her statements. The game has turned ugly. Tennis was once a sport with some respect to tradition and for others. It is hard to see that respect from the players (like the recent comments from Berdych) and its fans (like some who post here).

I thought it would be fun to talk about tennis here, but it's not. Tennis is a job and a profession for the ATP players, but it is entertainment and a game for the rest of us. You (and others) treat it with a viciousness that is hard to explain. You also personally demean those that don't agree with you. I can only say you need a life.
case is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
country flag mandoura
Registered User
 
mandoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 54
Posts: 10,453
mandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Times change and if it bothers you that much, then don't watch tennis, it goes in cycles and Borg isn't to blame at all, it doesn't even go that far back, one players got more professional then the game changed, that has happened in a lot of sports and tennis is no exception, things move forward, sometimes for the better and other times not.
Isn't that too extreme? Doesn't everybody have the right to comment, even negatively, on his/her favorite game? This is just his/her opinion. We don't have to agree but we don't have to cast him/her out or shut him/her out either.

Other than that, I agree with your post, specially the last clause.
__________________
Roger:
Rafa:
Roddick ~ Baggy ~ Blake ~ Chucho ~ Coria ~ Dima ~ Gask ~ Gaston ~ Guga ~ Haas ~ Juanqui ~ Marat ~ Delpy ~ Tsonga ~ Murray ~ Moya:
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
country flag Billy Moonshine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
Billy Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond reputeBilly Moonshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
Don't you ever make a comment without insulting someone? Telling MyskinaLova to stop watching the game is rude and not the point. It is valid argument and many others have made similar arguments. The players from the past weren't professionals? Which ones? Ashe? Laver? I don't understand your use of the term professional. What, they weren't good enough to be called professional or they played for free? You said they became professional after Bjorg? He did change the game, but professional tennis was around before Bjorg.

Your comment, of one sentence, really does not address her statements. The game has turned ugly. Tennis was once a sport with some respect to tradition and for others. It is hard to see that respect from the players (like the recent comments from Berdych) and its fans (like some who post here).

I thought it would be fun to talk about tennis here, but it's not. Tennis is a job and a profession for the ATP players, but it is entertainment and a game for the rest of us. You (and others) treat it with a viciousness that is hard to explain. You also personally demean those that don't agree with you. I can only say you need a life.
Billy Moonshine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
country flag uNIVERSE mAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,395
uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

George Hitler is always judgemental, as though his word is equivalent to the gospel truth.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
country flag mandoura
Registered User
 
mandoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 54
Posts: 10,453
mandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

TChick, yes, pretty interesting perspective.
__________________
Roger:
Rafa:
Roddick ~ Baggy ~ Blake ~ Chucho ~ Coria ~ Dima ~ Gask ~ Gaston ~ Guga ~ Haas ~ Juanqui ~ Marat ~ Delpy ~ Tsonga ~ Murray ~ Moya:
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
country flag prima donna
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Times change and if it bothers you that much, then don't watch tennis, it goes in cycles and Borg isn't to blame at all, it doesn't even go that far back, one players got more professional then the game changed, that has happened in a lot of sports and tennis is no exception, things move forward, sometimes for the better and other times not.
If I didn't watch tennis now, I'd miss out on the rare likes of Roger Federer, Fabrice Santoro or any of the other top players that possess a hint of finesse. Borg changed a lot of conventional thought, because he was the first player with this particular style to have success on every surface, thus explaining why I say that he is to blame. Name another player with his style of play that had such large amounts of success. Things move forward, obviously, I don't even know if such a cliche statement is worth acknowledging; however, do not mistake change for improvement or progression, my friend.

Last edited by prima donna : 11-09-2005 at 04:20 PM.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #11
country flag kensan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15
kensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond reputekensan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
The game is becoming ugly, with all of these extreme grips and the usage of heavy spin, you have many freak victories, because they play such an unusual game that it's difficult to pick up on the 1st or 2nd time you meet them. I won't say any names, but this new generation of tennis is sort of becoming a combination of ball-bashing and moonball tennis
I am 5'6" and played junior and college ball, and hit with extreme loopy topspin. I got plenty of flack for it: Play a real man's game! Welcome to girls 12 and under! etc. My response was always, well what game do you expect me to play against 5'11" and taller guys? Power tennis? Serve and volley? Do you think Agassi and Sampras would be as successful if they were 5" shorter?

Okay aside from the "smaller players";-) I know Nadal is tall enough to play a classic game of tennis. That being said, hey maybe he gets off on hitting the equivalent of kick serves with each stroke instead of the heater. I know as a now recreational player I appreciate seing a huge kick serve a lot, even moreso than a 100mph fastball. Different strokes for different folks, live and let play I say.
kensan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
country flag Castafiore
Registered User
 
Castafiore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,788
Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensan
Different strokes for different folks, live and let play I say.



The world would be a boring place if everybody had exactly the same idea on beauty, excitement, fun, ugliness,...
In my opinion, you can either embrace those differences or else focus on your own viewpoint and shout "trash" at somebody who does not find beauty in exactly the same places as you do.

Last edited by Castafiore : 11-09-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #13
country flag Domino
Registered User
 
Domino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Everywhere
Age: 32
Posts: 2,635
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

The game is transitioning. Your getting lots of bolters in the new styles, and people are adjusting. Eventually, it evens out. The game has been in transition for the past five or so years, and we're seeing emerging players who have varying styles of enjoyable tennis emerge who have adjusted to the new pars set by other players. Players are learning to be more patient (Gonzalez recently, and some other shot-makers), getting used to the pace of the ball (Roddick's serve is not bailing him out like it used to for a very good reason), and eventually more players will learn to keep their concentration high enough to beat moonballing speedsters by patiently constructing long points and eventually finishing off at the midcourt and the net. This year I have seen more netplay from top players than before due to a lot of speedsters comming up. Give it another year or so.
__________________
Yogurt
Domino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
country flag celia
Registered User
 
celia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
celia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
George Hitler is always judgemental, as though his word is equivalent to the gospel truth.
he does write as if everything he has to say is fact. however, this is an open forum and he is entitled to write however he wants.
celia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
country flag uNIVERSE mAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,395
uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Generation of Tennis: Plain trash.

if that's so, how come he's always putting me down then?
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios