Meaning of the word " Choke " - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is choking exagerated?

Yes 11 78.57%
No, vast bulk of the time the term is applied correctly 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
country flag Deivid23

Deivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond reputeDeivid23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
Also the fact is his serve was pretty weak at that point, and a break didn't mean a huge amount. Plus Federer upped his level in the middle of the 3rd set.
Federer upped his level enough to win that 3rd set, it had nothing to do with Nadal getting tight and choking away his lead there. Anyway we all know many people will disagree
Deivid23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #17
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute

Choke=
Being up a break or more in a set and losing it and/or
Being up two sets to love and losing

A choke is not being up one set to love but being up a set and a break is a choke.

Another Game for Milos

ROGER

KoOlMaNsEaN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #18
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it seems most posters understand the definition. Still, many will say "Choke" when they are angry that their player lost.

I can only think of a few instances of choking. I do not intend to offend your favorite player. But Coria in French Open 2004 set 3, I think he himself will agree to that. Rafter in Wimbledon final against Sampras, 1 set and 4-1 up in the 2nd tie breaker (he has also said it). Jana Novotna against Steffi

EDIT: After I post this, while I cooked my dinner I was thinking about it futher, and realized one more which I should be fair and mention as a possible choke. I don't konw if he has said that, but Roge's loss in Davis Cup to leyton, after being 2 sets up and a break. For me, this was a day of great tears. But the beauty of this example is that Roge learned from it and -- lets see, is there anyone mentall stronger on tour now than he?

Last edited by R.Federer : 11-07-2005 at 12:39 AM.
R.Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #19
country flag hablovah19

hablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond reputehablovah19 has a reputation beyond repute

choke = on wtaworld.com, it's everytime Momo looses

but that wasn't the case today
hablovah19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 AM   #20
country flag wcr

wcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond repute

Years after Graf beat Novotna at Wimbledon 1997, where Novotna was up a set and 4-1 in the 2nd and then lost the match, a reporter asked Graf about Novotna choking.

Graf's reply was something along the lines of "I can't speak about choking. What I can tell you is that you need experience to know how to win in that situation."

Perhaps Graf doesn't believe in choking. Perhaps she thinks that winning is about how to cope with your emotions and use your mind in a given situation and that experience is absolutely necessary to know what to do. Perhaps Graf was being kind to an old rival. All that aside, it changed the way I see the game and the players.
wcr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #21
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

This bump goes out for MANGOES.
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #22
country flag mini155

mini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond reputemini155 has a reputation beyond repute

good moment for bumping this thread

...malo nas je al´nas ima, nije vazno srusit´cemo snove svima...
mini155 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #23
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

For the clowns who don't get the usage of choke an example.

Calleri leads Massu 6-2 5-1 in the 2002 Buenos Aires final and loses, there wasn't an injury to Calleri in this match and this is a good example of choking.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

we need master examples of chokers

Todd Martin, come on down
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #25
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
we need master examples of chokers

Todd Martin, come on down
5-1 in the 5th set of the Wimbledon semi final against big Mal.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
Completely agree with post #1 what IvanLjubicic says. Some people here go around and call choke almost every lost match. When somebody is leading 2-0 and loses the set it is called choke. Agassi def. Blake at USO 05 was mentioned multiple times in the "biggest choke of all time" thread when both guys played an outstanding match and the winner to unforced error ratio being 3:1. When Haas lost serve to Ginepri in the fifth set at USO 05 I had a little dispute with Deivid who called it a choke, there was nothing to choke for Haas and he lost to a better man who took the possibilities and who won his points in the fifth set and who went on to make the semis of a Slam. Lots of more examples and not everything is a choke, not every defeat of a favourite is a choke...
Not true, Agassi had one more error than winners in that match.

I think a choke can be a lot of things.

Because someone is up 5-3 and loses, doesn't mean it's a choke. And because someone never led, doesn't mean it's not a choke.

When Mauresmo lost to Jana Kandarr in the first round of the French Open 5-7 5-7 after winning two big warm up events, that was a choke.

A choke is when one player is poised for victory, and loses it on account of their own poor play. Whether is be double faults, can't get a first serve in, making unforced errors that they normally don't, or not going for their shots.

When Elena Likhovtseva lost to Mary Pierce after being up 6-0 in the tiebreak, it was a choke. Mary hit winners, but she was able to hit them because Likhovtseva stopped hitting her shots and gave Mary sitters.

To me, there has to be no or little clear improvement in their opponents play for it to be deemed a choke.
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #27
croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond reputecroat123 has a reputation beyond repute

choking = making final after final and losing time and time again to really crappy players that you can beat easily in any other round of a tournament
Old 02-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #28
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123
choking = making final after final and losing time and time again to really crappy players that you can beat easily in any other round of a tournament
Let's hope Mario can beat Jarkko in Rotterdam next week, it's 1st rd after all.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #29
country flag RaVeR

RaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond reputeRaVeR has a reputation beyond repute

you dreaming MariaV...Mario will lose that match

MARIN CILIC
RaVeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #30
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Good to see the meaning is still lost on what choking actually is.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1