Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country

After the sucess of this thread, where I share my opinions about how we, argies live and feel the Davis Cup. I would rather explain the situation of this sport here, in my country.

I'd really like you to do the same. It's always really cool to show how everyone lives tennis his/her way. For some people, like me, one of the solutions is to enter MTF all day.

Okay... I live in Buenos Aires, the bigest city of Argentina, the only city with an ATP Tour level tournament. We also have the only challenger played in the year.

The most important tennis clubs are in the same neighborhood "Palermo".
Tennis Club Argentino, Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club and Vilas Club.
The ATP Buenos Aires is played in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis club and the Copa Topper (Buenos Aires challenger) in the Vilas Club (as you can imagine, this club is owned by Guillermo Vilas).
The Tennis club Argentino hold the 25.000 ITF Women's circuit this year.
Mapa clubes tenis.jpg
Red one - Vilas Club
Blue one - Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club
Green one - Tennis Club Argentino

As you can see, the three clubs are near each other.

Let's suppose a normal tennis week during the ATP Buenos Aires.
The most important sport-oriented TV channel (TyC Sports / TyC Sports HD) would usually broadcast the tournament final rounds (from QFs to the Final). There will be a big promotion and TV campaign in the sports channels, a good amount of advertisment in the streets.

That was the last Copa Claro announcment. There was the same in magazines, street-ads and so... I think there was one different one with those players + Dolgopolov
Like in the world (I think), qualies are free.
And the prizes are around something kinda: 20 to 80 US$ on the first 3 days (You can buy best places or just the Day-Time or Night-Time). The last days the prizes are from 25 to 115 US$.
This is the only time of the year where you'd see the stadium in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis club, at it's full capacity.

As you can see, tennis got a decent broadcast and importance during the big tournament.
During the challenger the things changes a lot.
I mean, you'd see good adverts in the sports magazines, like this one, taken from GRIP Magazine, the most important tennis magazine, monthly editions, easy to find, etc...
Contratapa grip.jpg
That was the Back-Cover.

But, you won't see so many things on the street or in regular magazines.
TyC Sports would broadcast the event like the Copa Claro, the last 3 days would be broadcasted, you'd get the QFs, SFs and the final.

Don't expect full-stadiums during this tournament, maybe in the final, sure, but not during the week. Even with the low prizes (18 US$, 25 in the SF and Final Rounds), you won't see so many people round there.

The future and ITF WC events are always free.
Don't expect ball boys and that kinda stuff, 2 players, one umpire, and let's play.
Well... The 25.000 ITF WC event had all that stuff in the final, but only in that match.

So, at the end of the year, the city hold these events, including the Women's Circuit.
1 ATP World Tour 250.
1 ATP Challenger Tour.
1 Future.
2 ITF Women's Circuit events.

But here's the thing:
There aren't so many tennis fans.
A weird fact, there are a good amount of people who enjoy playing tennis, but, even them aren't probably tennis fans.
If I compare my 100 Facebook Friends, only 2 of them are tennis fans, and 4 of them knows well about the sport. I think this stats could make some numbers, remember I am a big fan and I'm from the biggest city in the country.
So, the place to talk about tennis is during this tournaments. If you like tennis, you gotta go to the tournaments, specially qualies, because they're free, no excuses.

The thing changes a little during the Exhos.
Look at this:
http://www.ticketek.com.ar/index.php
You'd see Monfils' face right there in the website.
People care so much about that exhibition event (Copa Peugeot). I expect a full stadium for that event.
This year, we hold the Sampras and Agassi tour, but, sadly there wasn't so many people, for me, that's a shame for the country and a lack of respect for the sport. I was embarrased.

Of course, as I said before in the other thread, Davis Cup is a different story. The country is united to win the cup. We live the cup like no other fans.

I hope you can enjoy this thread about tennis life in Argentina.
I don't play tennis, i'm just a fan, I love the sport and it's so difficult to share my feelings with the argentine people.
I think the other argentinian members can agree with me and with what I said here in this thread.

Personal contribution:
This is a video I recorded during the Copa Topper (Buenos Aires challenger), the 2nd day of tournament (Tuesday). Not so good quality (or players) but you could see how a tennis fan could live it, near the players (remember there's not so many people in the stadiums), with a good atmosphere.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
country flag superganon

superganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond reputesuperganon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country

sure it would be fun for argentinean tennis and for all its glory to win a slam. but ur not alone feeling alone about ur intrests. here in sweden its the same about tennis.

we only care when there are home events or a BIG break through like soderling in a gs or a tourney win. thats ALL that matter.we dont care about losses, injurys and so forth. i feel u man u might have it worse since argentina is like only football.
superganon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
country flag abhinav_shaan

abhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond repute

dude.. come on... u atleast have players near the top..
try being a tennis fan in a completely cricket obsessed country..!
here.. the only tennis news that make headlines are paes/bhupathi doubles ..!
i lurk in these forums almost every day just to avoid the incessant cricket talk..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
country flag Intheshadows

Intheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond reputeIntheshadows has a reputation beyond repute

When you think about it there probably isn't a single country that has tennis as their #1 sport.
Intheshadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Same in France, people are obsessed by this stupid football and rugby sometimes
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
country flag helvet empire

helvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbyfan View Post
Same in France, people are obsessed by this stupid football and rugby sometimes
tennis is wayyyyyyyyy more popular in France than Argentina or India.

Even prouder Rafael Nadull hater
helvet empire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvet empire View Post
tennis is wayyyyyyyyy more popular in France than Argentina or India.
Oh !! are you sure about it ? I only know people who don't care about tennis and never watch it on TV
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
country flag helvet empire

helvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond reputehelvet empire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbyfan View Post
Oh !! are you sure about it ? I only know people who don't care about tennis and never watch it on TV
pretty sure yes, even though soccer is obviously more popular. It's pretty much a tie with rugby I think. I think tennis federation is about 1 million players in France, that's not too bad!

Even prouder Rafael Nadull hater
helvet empire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
country flag Vilnietė

Vilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond repute

I guess in Switzerland tennis would be one of the most popular sports...

Btw, in my country tennis is nothing to compare with basketball but I couldn't complain... I think that popularity is proportional to the results. And the results are improving I know quite some people who like watching tennis, also playing sometimes, new tennis courts are built, we have live tennis broadcasts on tv and all the main news in our newspapers, and we even have some people who are complaining about tennis becoming more popular
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same over here in The Netherlands. All 'sport' you will ever see on the TV over here is football, football, football, in winter time speed skating (), in the summer hockey.
But to be objective - whenever Robin Haase somehow miraculously manages to win a match, we get to see at least 30 seconds of it!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav_shaan View Post
i lurk in these forums almost every day just to avoid the incessant cricket talk..
Exactly!
But, take a look at this.
In the good new-years when we've got many players in the top ten (Gaudio, Coria, Nalby, etc), we had so many tennis news and an important tennis-vibe.

I also wanted to say that it's probably true that tennis isn't the N°1 sport in any country, but, just wanted to share how's the thing here.
I mean, never a top 5 player in the country coming to the Buenos Aires ATP, that's kinda sad.

Also, I just can't imagine how the thing was 30-40 years ago, without internet and Cable TV.
Oh lord, It just hurts to imagine.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina had 21 futures this year. Surprised only 1 was in BA
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting for threads:
Australia - To be a tennis fan in a Rugby country
India - To be a tennis fan in a Cricket country
Sweden - To be a tennis fan in a Ice Hockey country
Korea - To be a tennis fan in a Short Track country
USA - To be a tennis fan in a NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, MLS country
China - To be a tennis fan in a Table Tennis, Diving, Badminthon, Gymnastic etc.etc.etc. country
Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
country flag Agrajag

Agrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond repute

Norwegian. I win.

We might get the match point from a grand slam final on televison. NRK (Norways BBC) bought the rights to Wimbledon a couple years ago, and I was so pumped. We got tennis on two free TV-channels most of the day, and free streaming of all courts on the web. That lasted two years before they sold the rights to keep eurovision. Not a joke unfortunately.

The reason is of course because we have no players. It is almost hilarious how bad we are at this sport. As far as I know Christian Ruud is our only top 100 player, and he never won an ATP-tournament. Sometimes a supposedly talented youngster will get hyped for a couple of minutes or on a sports show, but this is usually what they accomplish:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...dmoe.aspx?t=pa

*By the way, we don't really have any great athletes besides winter sports. The reason we thrive there is because no one else cares.
Agrajag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav_shaan View Post
Ahh, i was just going to ask you about the auction for next years IPL.
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote