What's left for David? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's left for David?

At the moment he is a mess. Game wise and mentally, he seems extremely angry and frustrated. I know he can be hot headed out there, but this is starting to get really extreme. I realize he too knows that he's playing well below his level and most probably splitting with Javier has left its impact, but maybe it's time to lower the high bar he has set for himself, or is set upon him because of his ranking, and go back to the basics, try to just go out there and enjoy himself without any pressure. It might help him to regain some of his magic as well. He's still getting by the lower ranked opponents in the slams because he simply is a superior player, but he is getting more vulnerable every day. Time is ticking and he may burn up very quickly if he continues this path. In short: I don't care if he loses, I just want to see him happy while being on the court for the final years of his career.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's left for David?

It's funny, but I really don't have the same impression at all...

I think the fact that he looks more angry on court is linked to the fact that he's trying to act generally more aggressive. I think that's what he's working on with his coach at the moment. And I actually think it's working, at least it's interesting to see where this might go. I think splitting with Piles was a good idea, I think Ferru had gotten too comfortable and maybe taken bad habits.

I find it very positive that, now that most people see him as being at the end of his career, he is ready to take a step such as this. It shows that he still thinks he can improve.

I do not think that his game is "a mess". Not anymore than it was sometimes in the previous years. I think he's trying to make a few changes, in particular, trying to become more aggressive, and that maybe he needs a bit of adjusting.

I don't know why you have such a bad impression of him, I thought he played really well against Mayer... And against Berdych, well, he had some really good moments, which in my opinion did show a lot of mental strength. He was simply in a bad day, and Berdych was very solid.

I think Ferrer mentioned recently that he intended to play for many years still. I think that does not show a bad mental state... And the fact that he wants to play less, well, it seems only reasonable. People have criticised him enough for playing too much... And to be honest, he's getting so little recognition in Spain for what he has done in Davis Cup, he might as well do the same as Nadal and wait until the final rounds to appear as the messiah!

It's also funny that the French commentators last night were saying the exact opposite, and I rather agreed with them: they were saying that Ferrer's great strength was his modesty, and that unlike most players, he was able to accept it when he played badly. He did not act as if his pride was offended, he just tried to hold on and wait until his game came back to him. I think that's true, even though sometimes he has to let out the frustration because obviously when you're in a really bad day, you cannot contain it forever.

Last edited by Sophitia36 : 01-21-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

He actually played better at this AO than the last one TBH. It's just that mentally he's gone from fairly bad to absolutely horrific. He's absolutely incapable of playing a big point anything other than terribly. The only way he ever wins them anymore is if his opponent makes an UE within a couple of shots. I don't know what you can do to fix that that other than hope that ability to play important points comes back, bar getting a sports psychologist.

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic

Last edited by emotion : 01-21-2014 at 08:28 PM.
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

He said himself that he didn't play well this week and isn't satisfied, he missed a 'spark'.

The overall decline in his game is apparent. He can still reach his peak level from time to time, as he has shown at Roland Garros and against Nadal in Paris, but overall it's scary how many more UE he is hitting. This week he lost serve five times against Gonzalez and five times against Mannarino, the problem is that he can't seem to play a high level anymore throughout a whole match and is becoming more dependant on other players blowing up, like Chardy in the second set. Because I indeed agree he played patches of great tennis in this tournament, so it isn't all bad.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
country flag iramlatif

iramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting thread. I think at this point of his career the topic is something to discuss. Firstly I really hope there is a lot to look forward to for the rest of this year. Making it to the quarterfinals of a major is always a big achievement, so that is still a positive. Couldn't put my finger on it exactly, but he did seem a bit more irritable (when making errors) than normal when he played against Berdych. I think Sophitia could be right about it just being an off day for him. He was interviewed this year about the future of majors and admitted he didn't think it was possible to get into finals. *But he did say his goal was to try to make it to the end of year championships. I really hope he can strengthen his relationship with his new coach. And above everything else I hope he remembers to have a good time out there on court- and not let pressure affect him negatively.
**BTW, I hope 2014 is going well for all of you guys. At this point I'm hoping for a Stan-Fed final, even if it is wishful thinking!
iramlatif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

David's anger was not normal for him. He is aggressive on court, but it is usually positive aggression. He typically gets mad and fights. Getting angry enough to shove a line judge is over the top for Ferru. He still did very well to get into the quarters and his slam record last year was impressive. I don't think we've seen the last of David.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not sure his shoving the line judge was out of anger. I think at this point he was trying so hard to concentrate, he did not realize what was going on around him... It was not an aggressive gesture, it was more like "Don't get between me and my towel chair"... It was inappropriate but I don't think it really was aggressive.

He has always been inclined to be rude to people whenever towels are involved... I think the last time I found him rude during a match was when he was saying "towel!!!" to one of the ball boys.

Last edited by Sophitia36 : 01-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Your towel posts have had an influence on me, because that was exactly the first thing that crossed my mind

''Well, that's what you get for messing with his towel''

Quote:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
country flag iramlatif

iramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond reputeiramlatif has a reputation beyond repute

maybe this is besides the point of the thread, but I have a quick ? ----Sophitia u understand a lil spanish so maybe u know the answer. I can imagine that out of anger Ferrer uses choice words when he's irritated on court, but does he actually use *profanity*?
I know a lot of people thought he was rude for pushing the linesmen, and I'll agree it wasn't classy. But it did bring a smile to me cause he's SO in his own world.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
country flag Sophitia36

OH... yes he does use a lot of profanity
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
country flag iramlatif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
OH... yes he does use a lot of profanity
thanks for the reply! Well it comes across a lil funny because he is so soft-spoken. Anyway take care. Enjoy the semis!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
country flag LunaStar

LunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond repute

David does seem to be a lot more frustrated on court nowadays. I suppose making so many UEs must be taking its toll on him, it's not usually his gamestyle at all. Some of his tennis has been really good though (he's been great at the net), but he's struggling for consistency. The constant talk about his ranking can't help either.

Missing a spark on court seems to be a theme of his losses these days - he said after Doha that it's something he's trying to get back. Hope he can as his intensity is one of the things that's made him such a great player.

I'm pleased he got to the QFs though - it could have been a lot worse. I was a bit worried about him losing to Chardy in R3 or Mayer in R4, so it's good that he's kept his QF streak going. And at least now he's got time to have a proper training block with his new coach - I liked this article (in Spanish) where they talk about what they're both hoping to get out of their coaching partnership:
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...67_025805.html
LunaStar is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

With Wawrinka winning the title, it gets harder for David to get points as he is down to #5 in the world

Youzhny, Robredo, Matosevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Dolgopolov, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Zeballos, Herbert, Tursunov, Djokovic
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
country flag Sophitia36

Is he down to #5? I thought he was down to #4.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
country flag LunaStar

LunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond reputeLunaStar has a reputation beyond repute

He is #5 - Delpo's at #4 and Wawrinka's at #3.

Though he's tended to play his best tennis ranked #5 so maybe it's not such a bad thing? The pressure will be off him.
LunaStar is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote