~~Articles & Interviews about/of GaŽl~~ - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #76
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~Articles & Interviews about/of GaŽl~~

T.M. : You had a great RG (4), you also played well in Bercy in the past. Does that mean you don’t belong to the French players who get tight when they have to play in Paris?
G.M. : To play in Paris is most of all a pleasure. It’s true we have a different kind of stress, we want to do well. But I’m able to free myself.
T.M. : Is RG above everything else for you ?
G.M. : As a player, it certainly is my second biggest memory. The biggest one was my first Bercy. But the last RG was great too. Against Dick Norman, what an atmosphere, the whole environment, it was exceptional. And then against Blake, what an ambience again, unbelievable…
T.M. : After RG, you have another good tournament on grass at the Queens, but you hurt your back and you retire during your quarter against Blake. Is grass a very demanding surface for you?
G.M. : Yes, I don’t like it very much…
T.M. : But you beat Ljubicic in the 3rd round.
G.M. : Yes, 7/6, 7/5...
T.M. : You seem to remember all your matches, all the scorelines…
G.M. : Yes, I remember everything. Each scoreline, each detail. I could recite a complete season by heart.
T.M. : Was the back injury still bothering you in Wimbledon when you lost in the first round to the Russian Kunitsyn?
G.M. : On the day of the match against Blake, my back was completely blocked when I woke up in the morning. I got 1½ hours treatment, I started the match, but he won 6/1, I couldn’t do anything and I retired. I told James before the match that I wasn’t well, but I wanted to give it a try… But in Wimbledon, my back was fine. I just injured myself in a silly way three days before the match. We didn’t tell anybody, we didn’t know what was going on. The medical tests afterwards showed that I had a tear of the ligaments of the right foot. We didn’t know that at the time. I was in pain, but I played, it was almost bearable. We came back to Paris and when I wanted to practice on clay before leaving to Bastad, I realized I had a problem, it got harder and harder, just by walking. So I decided to withdraw from Bastad and to go home. In Switzerland, it still wasn’t getting better and I had a RMI which showed I have a tear.
T.M. : It was the beginning of your problems with the feet…
G.M. : Yes. When I start the American tournaments in Cincy, I’m still apprehensive, I compensate a lot on the left foot. I beat Marat (Safin) though and I lose to Bagdat (Baghdatis) in 3 sets. But after that match, my left foot is hurting, really hurting a lot. I don’t know exactly what to do. At the US Open, during my first round match against Russel, I feel a strong pain. I win the match, but against Moodie, the pain is too great and I lose in four sets… The X-rays show… a stress fracture of the fourth metatarsus which will “seal” the last part of my season. I resume with the training to get ready for Madrid. And in Madrid, I sprain my ankle.
T.M. : No need to ask if you were fed up?
G.M. : Yes, big time.
T.M. : By hearing about all your feet problems, it’s hard not to think of your sliding and your splits on the court. Isn't it dangerous?
G.M. : I don’t think so. Because my body allows me to do that. It looks insane for other people. If I ask Richard (Gasquet) to make a dunk shot, he can’t do it. I can. Because I’m built in a different way. On the other hand, if you ask Richard to make little steps by approaching the ball, he’ll do it easily. For me, it’s incredibly hard. I’m much better at sliding. I try not to force it, it’s natural, I just do it. I don’t do it for the crowd. But it ends up being spectacular. Other players do it too. Clijsters, for example. Marco Gicquel does it too. Nobody asks Marco about it. Maybe it’s because I’m taller, I’m sliding a little bit longer. But I’m definitely less efficient when I try to make little steps.
T.M. : Which means you’re not planning to tone down your acrobatic sliding?
G.M. : Right now, I can’t really do it anyway. But it’s my way to play tennis, I can’t change it over night. The new thing is that I’m going to play with well-taped ankles from now on.
T.M. : We also know you for your eccentricities on the court: the hood and the earphones in RG, the Arsenal jersey (5), the diamond shoes in Bercy… Is it just for the fun?
G.M. : Yes, it’s my way to have fun. Why not wear Thierry Henry’s jersey? Why not enter the court with my ipod? It’s cool to listen to music before a match. I love that, I’m “blossoming” on the court. As for the shoes in Bercy, it was Halloween on that day, that’s why I wore them… When I can have fun, I don’t miss the occasion.
T.M. : Don’t you think you’re exposing yourself by doing so? If you win, people will cheer for you, but if you lose, you’re going to be criticized, people will make fun of you.
G.M. : That’s how it works: if you win, everything is fine; if you lose, you get thrown out. I got a lot of criticism for my hood in RG. Funnily enough, the first time people noticed me was in Bercy, against Thomas Enqvist. And take a look at the pics: you’ll see I entered the court with the hood on my head. Nobody said anything about it. So? That said, I don’t care about all this. Before RG, I came across a TV show which mentioned the hood one more time. They should have also mentioned the old story with the hood in Bercy. Anyway, I know you can’t please everybody. I do what is fun for me, that’s all. I never drive myself crazy. When you decide to do something, you have to stand to it. I do all this because of the fun, it’s my “trip”.

4. He made it to the 4th round after three wins in 5 sets against Andy Murray, Dick Norman and James Blake. He finally lost to the young Serbian player Novak Djokovic.
5. During the last Roland-Garros, Gaël wanted to enter the court with a jersey of Arsenal, as a “tribute” to his buddy Thierry Henry. But he was asked to wear something else because of the rules.

TBC...

Last edited by Truc : 01-12-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #77
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

It's old, but I just see it now, Gael also gave some news on his "blog" (if you can call that a blog).
A short entry after his loss in Doha, he doesn't say anything new (just that he plays badly and must improve) and answers a question about the round robin system and says he doesn't like it at all.
And a pic taken in December before he went to the hairdresser:
Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #78
country flag Truc

And here's the last part of the translation of his interview in the French Tennis Magazine, I know all MTF was waiting for it.

T.M. : You don't think that the crowd might be too inconstant sometimes?
G.M. : Yes, people sometimes are tough, boo the players… That’s the law of sports, it’s part of it. I have no hard feelings at all because of that. You don’t always show what you’re able of during a match, the crowd is right. Even when people booed me in Bercy without knowing I had only two days training, etc... That’s not important, I did my best. When things like that happen, I use to say: we’ll do it better next time!
T.M. : What's your image, the image you give to the people?
G.M. : I have no idea. A… natural image! 100% me!
T.M. : Is it important for you to be loved?
G.M. : Yes, it’s important. But I won’t change the way I am just to please somebody. The first quality is to remain true to your nature. You can’t please everybody.
T.M. : You’re the second French player in the rankings at the end of the year, your personal best. How do you feel as the 2nd French player, what do you think of your progression?
G.M. : Actually, I wasn’t expecting anything. I’m #2 now, at one time this year I was even #1. I couldn’t really defend my chances in the last part of the year because of my problems. Richard had a great finish, but number 2 is already incredible for me. That said, being the number 1 would be nice too, of course (he laughes)…
T.M. : How does it feel to be leading the French tennis with your friend Richard Gasquet?
G.M. : If somebody had told me that two years ago…! It’s funny.
T.M. : You seem to get along very well with Richard…
G.M. : Yes, we know each other since we’re very young. I’m a great fan of Richard, he’s a real buddy. We trust each other. Outside of the court, we get along perfectly well together. It’s a bit like Seb and La Clé (Clément). We’re enjoying being together when we are in the same team, in Davis Cup for example. This kind of relationship can be a plus for a team…
T.M. : And when you play against each other?
G.M. : We’ve played twice against each other. It’s never easy to play a friend. But I think we handle it pretty well.
T.M. : You were talking about your other buddies, “the Square”. What do you do when you’re together?
G.M. : Nothing special. What 20-year-old guys do: movies, video games, talk, poker, this kind of stuff! They really are my best buddies. One of them is studying in Jussieu (it’s an university in Paris), the other one is student at the ESG (a business school) and Ventu is in his 2nd year of… I don’t remember what! (he laughes) We never speak about tennis together. But Ventu already came with me to tournaments, in Monte Carlo, Lyon, Metz. It’s great when he’s there.
T.M. : The French singer Pascal Obispo also is pretty close to you. What do you feel when you have contact with people from the show business? Do you belong to the same “league” of celebrities in your opinion?
G.M. : I don’t know. It’s different to be an artist and a sportsman. I admire these people a lot. But when a guy like him says he admires me, I’m a bit surprised. In a sense, there are similarities, that’s true. But those guys are much more exposed than I am.
T.M. : When something isn’t working, you never hesitate to criticize yourself. You seem to say: ‘OK, that’s how I am, take it or leave it’…
G.M. : I’m telling the truth, that’s all. Even when I’m doing bullshit. Maybe I need this bullshit, by the way. I stand to it. It’s not that bad. If I feel like eating a hamburger from McDo, I’ll do it. I don’t do that very often. But I won’t deprive myself of everything. I’m the first one to say it isn’t right. If people tell me it’s bad to play basket-ball and to make dunk shots, I will do it though. I’m taking my responsibilities, I want to remain open to everything.
T.M. : When you decided to enter the World Championship of paddle in Las Vegas (6), was that in the same frame of mind - being open, discovering something new, just having fun?
G.M. : Yes, I learned tons of things during this event. In real life, I’m not the guy you see on the tennis court. People describe me as a crazy guy who’s always partying and having fun. But that’s not me at all. I’m a simple person, I enjoy life. I’m much calmer than people think in real life. All my happiness and my emotions show off when I enter a tennis court.
T.M. : You’re close to other stars and admire them, like the basket-ball player Tony Parker or Thierry Henry. What do you think of their success?
G.M. : I admire them so much. They are models. They are successful, charismatic. Their message is great, honest. I take off my hat to them and I say: ’keep going !’
T.M. : Are they models for you, is that something you’d like to reach?
G.M. : I don’t want to reach anything. If my image goes that way, I’ll be very happy about it, but I have to remain true to my character.
T.M. : You come from a Parisian suburb, Bobigny. Do you consider yourself a kid of the suburbs?
G.M. : There's nothing special about it. I grew up in Bobigny and in the 19th arrondissement of Paris. Because of the tennis, I spent a lot of time away from home. So I didn’t really grow up in the atmosphere of the suburbs. I left home very early. My parents were living there, but I wasn’t there a lot…
T.M. : Do you feel like you managed to “escape” from that world?
G.M. : No, you don’t escape anything. It’s just a matter of circumstances. But I’ve had tough times too. For example when my parents didn’t have enough money for me to enter a tournament. People are talking a lot now about the kids in some “hot” suburbs. But most of the time, they don’t do anything bad. They have their own approach of the problems. But when you live there, you realize these people are lovely. I never had any problem. I respect everybody. It doesn’t matter if you’re from the suburbs or from the smartest part of Paris – it doesn’t matter for me.
T.M. : Do you think something must be done for the suburbs?
G.M. : I’m not going to criticize the journalists, but you often don’t see what is really happening. When there are problems, people never know exactly what happened. They tell stories without having seen what happened. As for me, as long as I couldn’t see something myself…
T.M. : And what do you think of Yannick Noah and what he does with his association Fête le Mur?
G.M. : I think it’s fabulous. But I’m so young to speak about all those things. I keep myself informed, of course, but you need to have a little bit more experience.
T.M. : Thierry Champion took you once to Yannick Noah’s home and apparently, you didn’t say much during this meeting, is that true?
G.M. : Yannick is Yannick. Somebody I totally admire. A model for all the things he represents, everything he does, everything he says. I really like him very much. But when we met, I was intimidated, even though he tried to make me feel at ease. It wasn’t easy for me. Of course, I still have the possibility to meet him again…
T.M. : There is also Noah the player, the former champion. You say you don’t pay much attention to the past, to the history of the game. Is that true?
G.M. : It’s true, I never look back. Same for me - in 20 years, the kids won’t remember Gaël Monfils. Or maybe, yes… But I’m not interested in historical details. I know the big facts, that’s it. Everything was so different in the past, the wooden rackets, everything… It isn’t going to change my life if I don’t know who won which tournament in 1949…
T.M. : So I won’t ask you how many times Rod Laver won in Wimbledon…
G.M. : That’s right, I don’t know the answer…
T.M. : What do the Guadeloupe and the Martinique represent for you (7)?
G.M. : My roots, the roots of my parents, of my family. It’s extremely important for me. And if I can be a role-model for the kids over there and help them to reach a high level, in the sports and why not? in tennis too, I will be very happy about it. I’d like to help them. At 200%.
T.M. : Are there big differences between the Guadeloupe and the Martinique?
G.M. : No, people give me a warm reception in both islands. And I feel very well there…
T.M. : Back to tennis: Roger Federer just achieved an incredible season one more time. So did Rafaël Nadal… Do you feel very far from them both?
G.M. : Not that much, no. Everything can happen in one match. It’s up to me to work well, to try to find the flaws. Against Roger in Doha, I didn’t feel ‘all at sea’. Against Rafaël on clay, it’s different, I really feel ‘dropped’. But it’s up to me to do what I have to do in order to change it. They have a great margin, but we can make it good.
T.M. : The first goals for the next season…
G.M. : After two weeks of vacation with my father at the Guadeloupe, I’m resuming with the training in the beginning of December. A good month of work and then I’ll launch upon the tour in Doha before the AO. I like this tournament. My goal is to be consistent again, to recover a steady level. And the confidence which gets along… ■

6. In March, Gaël had entered between the tournaments of Las Vegas and Indian Wells the World Paddle Championships (smaller tennis courts, smaller rackets, soft balls) and won the tournament, beating the “Federer of the paddle”, the American Scott Freedman, 19 times World Champion!
7. Gaël’s dad, Rufin, is from the Guadeloupe; Sylvette, his mother, is from the Martinique.

Last edited by Truc : 01-12-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #79
country flag Truc

And the short article from l'Équipe Magazine (the series about the youngsters - Rafa, Richie, Djoko, etc. - I posted the pic in the other thread):
Quote:
Monfils: Le plus showman
Et l'un des plus athlétiques de la bande des neuf, avec Rafael Nadal. Le Français a tout connu en 2006. Finale à Doha contre Federer et gadin classement, passant en un an de la 30e à la 46e place. Mais il a aussi atteint le plus haut niveau de sa carrière, 23e, et pris pour deux mois la place de numéro 1 français. "Je m'en fous", disait-il à l'époque. En revanche pour 2007, il repart avec des ambitions maximales. "Mon objectif. c'est de tout faire péter, faire péter un grand chelem dès 2007." Interrogé sur le sens de cette dernière expression, ie Parisien repend franchement. "Ce n'est pas faire un beau parcours. Un beau parcours sur un grand chelem, ça n'existe pas. Ce qui compte, c'est d'aller au bout." La concurrence parmi sa génération ne l'inquiète pas. "C'est mes potes, grave ! On a tous un truc spécial. Richard, c'est le revers et le mental. Andy, c'est l'intelligence, Novak, c'est l'ensemble. Je ne me sens pas on compétition avec les autres. Je suis très content quand ils sont en réussite."
The article says roughly he's very ambitious for 2007: he wants to make a big thing in a Grand Slam. The journalist asks him what he means exactly and he says not just a nice run, but to win the whole thing.
He's not worried about the concurrence between the other guys from his generation: they're all his buddies, he says. They all have a special thing. Richard, the backhand and the mental (?). Andy, the intelligence. Novak, everything (= very complete game). He doesn't feel in competition with the others and he's very happy when they are successful.

Last edited by Truc : 01-15-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #80
country flag Audrea

Audrea is on a distinguished road

From L'Equipe, today :

Audrea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #81
country flag Truc

Thanks, Audrea, I haven't bought L'Équipe today!

The journalist called Gauthier who explained they were training normally on Friday in Melbourne and in the evening, Gael told him he wanted to stop and Gauthier left immediately. It was very "blunt", but something had been going on for a while anyway, so Gauthier, he wasn't completely surprised.
It is as if they had never really started working together. "In 3 months, we haven't done anything. Gael has been injured, but that's not the only reason. He wasn't really into it, in his mind. Everybody knows it: a lot of people have been "hovering" around him for a long time now." (That totally reminds me of what Champion was hinting at a few months ago.)
Maybe Gael will go to the States since he was so enthusiastic about it last time. Gauthier means he should do it, he seems to want it so much.
Benhabilès is in talk once again because he's working in Florida, but he denied yesterday having any concrete plan with Gael.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #82
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

To be able to think like that at his age... Woaw...
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #83
country flag Truc

I was wondering about his eyes yesterday, they looked so different, but he was wearing colored lenses!
Here's the article in L'Équipe today:
Quote:
« Je m’impressionne »
GAËL MONFILS, sans coach mais avec style, a beaucoup appris sur lui en sortant le finaliste 2006.

HIER, GAËL MONFILS avait les yeux bleus. Véridique. C’était la première fois qu’il portait sur un court les lentilles colorées que sa maman lui a récemment offertes.« Ça me va comment ? Pas mal, hein ? » Le garçon n’en est plus à une surprise près. Alors qu’on le disait au fond du trou il y a encore quatre ou cinq jours, perturbé par la séparation d’avec son coach, Pier Gauthier, et pas loin de quitter l’Australie sans jouer, il a ébouillanté le central de Melbourne et fait sa fête à Marcos Baghdatis, finaliste ici l’an dernier. Il a ensuite parlé de tout : passé, présent et futur. Façon « la Monf ».
MONFILS VERSUS BAGHDATIS
« Je suis surtout content d’avoir tenu dans la tête. En ce moment, je ne me braque pas sur le jeu. Je sais que je sais jouer au tennis. Je veux juste le faire avec mon coeur. À 5-5 dans le tie-break, sur la seconde balle où je frappe l’ace à 207 km/h, je me suis dit : “ Écoute, la Monf, t’es tout seul, si tu le fais pas là, tu le feras jamais. ” Et bing ! j’ai tout de suite vu qu’elle était dedans. C’était un risque, j’aieu de la réussite et j’ai senti que ça lui avait fait mal. Après, je me suis rendu compte que Marcos était tendu. Mais je l’ai déjà vu gagner des matches en donnant cette impression. Alors, je n’ai rien lâché. Rien. Quand il remporte le troisième set, il ne le sait pas, mais il me redonne encore plus d’énergie. Je le voyais revenir sur sa chaise en se tapant le coeur et en criant : “ C’est pas fini ! C’est pas fini ! ” Mais je pensais : “T’es fou Marcos, bien sûr que c’est fini. Je vais terminer le truc.” »
MONFILS ET LES PAILLETTES
« Je me rappelle quand j’étais plus jeune et que je regardais à la télé les matches en night session, ça me faisait rêver. Rien que de dire les mots “ night session”, ça me rend dingue. Quand je suis entré et que j’ai vu la Rod Laver Arena remplie jusqu’en haut, je me suis dit : “ Ouh ! la ! la ! ça va être chaud, ce soir ! ” C’était magique, ce match. Les chants des supporters de Marcos, le grand stade, je crois que c’était le plus beau moment de ma vie. » Il y a eu, vous pensez bien, toute la panoplie du cascadeur en chewing gum, celui qui se tend et se détend sur des balles impossibles, qui fait crisser ses chaussures et mouline des bras pour que se lève la foule. Il y eut aussi l’épisode de la cheville qui flanche. À la fin du troisième set, Monfils boite sévèrement et ne joue pas les derniers points de cette manche. Le kiné déboule, lui retire le strapping et, pfffff ! oubliée la douleur. Quand il l’interviewa sur le court pour la télé australienne, Jim Courier taquina Monfils : « Tu es un sacré menteur, un drôle d’acteur. Pas vrai ? » Sur le moment, le Français se cacha derrière son anglais limité et ne releva pas. Mais dans sa langue maternelle, il renvoya plus fort la balle. « Le strapping me faisait mal. J’avais le pied compressé et il y avait comme une boule de sang quand le kiné a retiré la bande. Ça m’a libéré qu’il l’enlève. Après, si Courier pense que je suis un acteur, qu’il me donne un job avec Denzel Washington, moi je prends ! »
MONFILS ET L’AUTOGESTION
Depuis qu’il n’a plus de coach – ce qui ne lui était jamais arrivé sur le circuit –, Monfils a passé deux tours ici, contre Bracciali et Baghdatis. Vendredi dernier, à trois jours de l’ouverture du tournoi, il avait prononcé son divorce d’avec Pier Gauthier, qui l’entraînait depuis octobre. En guise de justifications, il citait le besoin de revenir à son style d’avant, celui du fier combattant. Tout en craignant l’aventure en solitaire. « Oui, ça me faisait peur. Mais je m’impressionne de jour en jour. J’arrive à m’occuper moi-même de l’alimentation, des horaires, de la recherche de sparringpartner. Et, surtout pendant le match, je me débrouille et je ne me sens pas perdu du tout. Quelque part, il y a aussi une forme de défi vis-à- vis des gens qui parlaient dans mon dos et qui disaient que j’allais droit dans le mur. J’en connais quelques-uns qui ont pris une bonne claque ce soir (hier). Et pas que ce soir. Le match contre Bracciali (lundi) sur un court excentré était aussi important à sa façon. Tu joues dans les oubliettes et tu dois te sortir les tripes. Je l’ai fait. Je me suis prouvé des choses. J’ai vachement appris sur moi ces derniers jours. »
MONFILS VERSUS GASQUET
Ah ! ce jeune Gasquet… Quand ils avaient sept ou huit ans de moins, les enfants Monfils et Gasquet avaient l’habitude de se croiser sur les tournois. Mais l’un avait de l’avance sur tous les autres. « Il était le plus fort de nous tous, se souvient Monfils. Avec Ouanna, Gély et toute la bande, on voulait tous le jouer parce que c’était insupportable. On disait : “Mais amenez-le nous, on va l’avoir ce coup-ci. ” Et puis, ils nous l’amenaient et lui nous séchait comme d’habitude. Je l’avais juste battu 6-4 au mini-tennis en minimes. Ça, c’est fait ! Richard, c’est mon ami. Hier (mardi), on a dîné tous les deux au restaurant. Et si on a envie, on refera pareil demain (ce soir). Il est en confiance en ce moment et ce sera dur, je le sais. Ça va se décider dans la tête. J’espère juste qu’on va se tirer une bonne bourre. »
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS
Old 01-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #84
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #85
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Truc (or anyone), can you translate or summarize these articles? Thank you so much!
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #86
country flag Truc

Here's a rough summary, but you miss a lot if you don't get the original version, the way he speaks is very funny.

He was wearing blue lenses yesterday: "So, do you like it?" he asks the journalists. "Not bad, huh?"
He always comes with a new surprise. 4-5 days ago, people were wondering if he was going to withdraw and leave Melbourne, and he surprised once again everybody with that match against Bagdhatis.

About the match: he's happy to have stood firm in his mind. He doesn't focus too much on the game at the moment, he's just trying to play with his heart. At 5-5 in the tiebreak of the first set, he said to himself 'Listen, La Monf, you're alone, if you don't try it now, you'll never do it'. He immediately knew the ball was good (he says that because Marcos challenged the call). He noticed that Marcos was tense, but he knows Marcos well and he is able to win matches even being so tense. At the end of the 3rd set, when Marcos went back to his chair hitting his chest and shouting 'It's not over, it's not over!', that gave Gael new energy, he thought then: 'You're crazy, Marcos, of course it's over! I'm going to close this out now.'

When he entered the court, he saw the crowd and thought it was going to be a hell of an evening. It was magic. Marcos' supporters, the huge stadion... The most beautiful time in his life.

Then he talks about the problem with his foot, vincayou already translated that part in GM, the problem with the strapping, what he answers to Courier, etc.

It's the first time ever he's without a coach on the circuit. Not easy, but he's proud to handle everything and to deal pretty well with it during the matches, he doesn't feel lost on the court. That's a kind of challenge because he knows people were talking behind his back and saying he was going to fail. Some of them must feel silly after this match. And not only this match - the first round against Bracciali was very important too in a way. You play on a outside court, nobody cares about you, you have to fight. He did it. He's learned a lot about himself in the past few days.

He talks about when they were kids, Gasquet was so much better than the others, he was annoying, he was beating them all the time. Richard is his friend. They went together to the restaurant on Tuesday, maybe they will do it again tomorrow.
Richie is feeling very confident, so Gael knows it is going to be tough. It will be a mental thing.

Last edited by Truc : 01-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #87
country flag Truc

And the interview Danielafrenchfan posted was made before his match against Baggy, about his first round match.
He says it's a strange feeling to be alone without a coach. Some people dropped by during his match though, Alizé Cornet (his ex-girlfriend), his agent was there and he met again a small guy from last year who's rooting for him and singing like crazy during his matches.

Since he's a bit lost, he's banking on what he does the best: the athleticism and the defense. He means he lost his "warrior soul" by trying to play more offensive. Staying far behind his groundline, hitting hard, that's his game, even if it's not flashy tennis.

He was about to leave Melbourne before the tournament, he didn't want to talk to anybody.
He'll take a new coach after the tournament, he can't imagine staying alone like that.
The match against Baggy reminds him of the movie "Troy": a guy alone against a whole army. A great battle.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #88
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the summaries! I swear Monfils will win it all when nobody expects him to and lose it when he is expected to win. Sounds like another guy I know... (Safin? anyone?)
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #89
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...after hearing Cahill during the ESPN coverage I am really impressed by him. I think he could be good for Monfils in the coaching department.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #90
country flag delsa

Always very passionate... He exagerates a lot but that's intentional...

Thanks a lot for all your translation works Françoise. I used to do that in the past here too so I know how much of one's time it can take and how tough it can be...So with all the amount of banlieusard slang Gaël uses... ( ) Thanks a bunch!