~~Articles & Interviews about/of GaŽl~~ - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #46
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~Articles & Interviews about/of GaŽl~~

The article explains the circonstances of Gael's press conference and the atmosphere with the journalists.
After the US Open, Champion and Barbarin had told the journalists pretty clearly that they were a little bit fed up with Gael's inconstancy (in his game and his character).
More and more people are making fun of Gael in France, his "foolishness", the fact that he prefers playing basket-ball with his buddies every night whilst people expect from him discipline and professionalism, etc.
Gael is very aware of what people are saying about him, he wants to have good relationships with the media and that's why he gave this press conference.
And you can really feel that during the interview: the journalists asking very moralizing questions; on the other side, Gael, looking shy and a bit worried according to the blogger, trying to explain that he's far from perfect, but well, he's just a 20 years old guy.

For example:
Quote:
Vous dites que vous n’êtes pas facile à gérer au quotidien, qu’est-ce que vous entendez par là ?
Non, je ne suis pas facile parce que je suis jeune déjà. Je fais quelques conneries de mon âge donc je pense que pour quelqu’un, c’est pas facile. Faut s’adapter. Je sais que je me vexe assez rapidement, je me bloque sur certaines paroles. Il faut que la personne trouve les bons mots et sachent m’écouter en même temps, mais aussi me mène parce que j’ai besoin d’être bousculé quelques fois.
"I'm not easy to work with in everyday life - because I'm young, in the first place. Sometimes I do BS like people of my age, so it's not easy for the other persons. They must adapt. I'm also upset/hurt very easily, sometimes I can't get over some statements. The other person has to find the right words, must also be able to listen to me and to lead me at the same time because I sometimes need to be rushed." Etc.
He's really cute, poor boy.

Last edited by Truc : 10-01-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #47
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

As for the press conference itself, there are not many new informations. A journalist asks if he's trying to tone down a little bit with the media by choosing Gauthier over Benhabiles (I thought it was an interesting question, journalists would be indeed much more excited about a Benhabiles-Monfils team). He says it wasn't the reason, it was purely personal and he just liked what Gauthier said to him.

He also explains why he considers leaving Paris. He comes to Paris every week just for the practice sessions and at the end of the week, he leaves for Geneva again, it's too complicated.

And the journalists are constantly mentioning the fact that he's playing basket, it's a bit annoying. At the end of the interview, a journalist asks if it's compatible with being a professional tennis player because of the risk of injuries.
He answers it makes him feel well. He can get injured by walking on the street too, that's what happened last time. He never got injured by playing basket. It's the time of the day when he can decompress and be with his friends and he doesn't contemplate giving it up.

Last edited by Truc : 09-27-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #48
country flag Truc

Oh, and the blogger (who makes movies about tennis) also says in the article that Richard Evans told him some time ago (Gael wasn't very famous at the time):
"Watch Monfils - he'll be a good subject for a movie in a few years time!"
Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #49
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your hard work, Truc. I've been wondering about Gael. I know he's had a rought time since he lost in Queens. I heard about the split with Thierry and of course the injuries all the time, then his withdrawal from Japan.

I just hope when he comes back he's fully recovered and he's had some good time to prepare with his new coach.

I'd rather give out good rep points than respond to dumbass threads

Being called fangirl/fanboy is not a compliment.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #50
country flag Truc

It's not new, but:
Gael has withdrawn from Moscow too (apparently still his foot injury - or "feet injuries").
According to his website, he will play Madrid...
Old 10-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #51
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Truc... Ehh Madrid... and Bercy? Sheesh... he has to defend lotsa points this fall

www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #52
country flag Truc

He is supposed to play in Lyon too.
Anyway, only 3 tournaments to try to "salvage" the whole second half of his season, with a final to defend... it will be very tough.
I just hope he can have at least one good run in Lyon or Bercy since he usually plays well before his home crowd.

Last edited by Truc : 10-08-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #53
country flag Truc

I posted in Paulo's board a long article from L'Équipe about Gael, Seb and Paulo and why they all fired their coach lately:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...6&postcount=22

+ some other reactions (general comments about the relationship between coach and player, but they all mention Gael - or probably hint at him like Thierry):
Quote:
Champion : « Le poids de l’entourage »
« Quand un entraîneur prend un joueur, il prend aussi son entourage (agents, avocats ou autres). Souvent, le discours de l’entraîneur ne varie pas parce que le joueur commet toujours les mêmes bêtises. Mais quand ce dernier écoute une autre voix, d’autres personnes, c’est là que le couple s’affaiblit. Tout le monde s’en mêle, il faut alors arriver à gérer le poids de l’entourage et ce n’est pas évident. Seul, le coach ne peut pas lutter. » – R. L.

Patrice DOMINGUEZ (directeur technique national) : « C’est la saison ! Le tennis est un sport où les joueurs sont les patrons de leur structure à des âges où il faut faire preuve d’une maturité exceptionnelle. Concernant Gaël, il traverse un moment délicat. Richard (Gasquet) a vécu la même chose plus jeune car il était en avance, et maintenant il est dans une trajectoire plus rigoureuse. Pour Gaël, c’est différent car c’est monté d’un coup. La longévité d’un coach se situe entre dix-huit et vingt-quatre mois : (avec Thierry) il était pile dans cette période. »

Alain SOLVES (entraîneur national, en charge de la détection et de la formation) : « Avant, le coach était l’unique manager d’une cellule. Depuis un certain temps, cette cellule s’est agrandie et il existe une guerre d’influence de plus en plus présente autour du joueur. Une mauvaise défaite et il se trouve toujours quelqu’un pour dire qu’il est temps de changer d’entraîneur. Dans le cas de Monfils, le changement n’est pas idiot. Il se situe à la fin d’un cycle, comme ça a été le cas pour Di Pasquale ou Benneteau avec moi, une fois qu’ils ont franchi le passage des juniors aux seniors. Quand un joueur se lance sur le circuit, il a un système de jeu à mettre en place, des habitudes du circuit à prendre et seul le coach est en mesure de les lui inculquer. À l’inverse, un joueur d’expérience n’a aucun jeu à mettre en place, juste à s’assurer qu’il peut jouer à son meilleur dix matches de suite et non pas un. D’où son besoin de prendre un préparateur physique ou un kiné, plutôt qu’un technicien. » – R. L.
(I'm a bit in a hurry right now, sorry, I'll make a summary later.)
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #54
country flag Truc

Just the news shortly:
Gael is in Switzerland at the moment and he has a new physical trainer, Alain Chamagne.
But it's not sure at all he'll continue working with his new team (Gauthier and Lamagne) after Bercy because he will go to the Bollettieri Academy then and they might not come with him according to L'Équipe.
So I don't really understand what he is doing, he hasn't started to work with them yet and people in France are already wondering about his next team.

Last edited by Truc : 10-12-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #55
country flag Truc

A rough summary of the articles from l'Équipe I posted the other day:
The long article points out how confusing the situation is. Gael is very clear about the separation from Thierry, but for the rest, it's a big mess. About Barbarin he says "let's say I stopped working with him", about the Team Lagardère he says "they are clever, they give me some time to really think about it", about the physical trainer Patrick Chamagne he says he's "considering" working with him... And he doesn't rule out a collaboration with Bollettieri.

When he is asked about his future coach, he answers: "I want to be understood". But the journalist adds it won't be easy because his behaviour alternates between "slightly strange" and "completely hallucinatory".

Champion's comments: "When a coach begins to work with a player, he also has to deal with all the people around the player (agents, lawyers, etc.) The coach keeps saying the same things because the player keeps making the same mistakes. But when the player starts listening to other people, the coach/player team grows weaker. Everybody meddles with the situation, you have to deal with the whole circle, it's not easy. Alone, the coach can't resist."

So when you read all the articles, Gael seems to have no idea of what he really wants, Champion sounds pretty angry at people around Gael, I don't know if he's just bitter... It's not very encouraging!

Last edited by Truc : 10-15-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #56
country flag Truc

Gael will continue to work with Pier Gauthier in 2007. He's on vacation in Guadeloupe at the moment and will now leave for Florida where he will train 2 weeks at Bolletieri' tennis camp (together with Gauthier).

http://www.sport365.fr/depeches/fili...olongent.shtml
"ATP : Monfils et Gauthier prolongent
Rédaction Sport365 - vendredi 24 novembre 2006 - 14h22
Le Français Gaël Monfils, qui avait fait appel aux services de Pier Gaulthier pour l'accompagner en fin de saison, a décidé de prolonger sa collaboration avec l'ancien entraîneur de son compatriote Sébastien Grosjean.
Monfils, actuellement en vacances en Guadeloupe, devrait rejoindre Gaulthier début décembre en Floride où l'attendent deux semaines de préparation chez Nick Bolletieri."
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #57
country flag Truc

I just saw the interview in the last issue of the French "Tennis Magazine" is with Gael, but my subscription ended a few months ago and I can't buy it where I live, what does he say, pleasepleaseplease?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #58
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't bought it yet. I will tell you when I will have it...
I am sure it is interesting.
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #59
country flag Truc

Thanks, Julie!
They only have the first questions of the interview on the website as usual - just as a teaser:
Quote:
Le nouveau n°2 français a accordé pour la première fois un long tête-à-tête à Tennis Magazine. L’occasion de mieux connaître un Gaël Monfils qui, on le sait, ne pratique pas la langue de bois…

T.M. : Vous vous trouvez actuellement en Guadeloupe. Essentiellement la détente au programme ?
G.M. : Oui, je vois la famille, les amis. Et aussi des groupes d’enfants, si je peux leur être utile, c’est super. Mais je continue aussi d’entretenir ma condition physique.
T.M. : Vous vous apprêtez à partir pour l’Académie de Nick Bollettieri en Floride. Quel bénéfice attendez-vous de ce séjour ?
G.M. : Là-bas, je vais pouvoir m’entraîner au grand air, au soleil, et profiter de belles installations. J’y vais avec mon coach, Pier Gauthier, et je travaillerai exclusivement avec lui. Nick, je le connais un tout petit peu. On a échangé quelques mots, récemment. Il y a une sorte de passerelle, maintenant, entre le Team Lagardère et Bollettieri. Je vais être le premier à expérimenter ce genre d’échanges. On verra bien ce que ça donne, mais de toute façon, ça me fait plaisir de passer un moment dans un cadre que je connais pour avoir joué autrefois, dans son Académie, le tournoi de jeunes Eddie Herr.
T.M. : Que comptez-vous faire après ce séjour chez Bollettieri ?
G.M. : Je vais rentrer chez moi, à Genève, et à Paris, pour continuer de m’entraîner et pour jouer avec le Paris Jean Bouin s’ils ont besoin de moi pour la finale des interclubs. Et puis, je partirai pour Doha où je commencerai me saison.
T.M. : Vous travaillez encore votre condition physique à Jean Bouin et notamment avec Rémi Barbarin. Vous faites donc toujours partie du Team Lagardère…
G.M. : Mais bien sûr. Je fais partie à 100% de la structure Lagardère. Il n’a d’ailleurs jamais été question que je la quitte. Ce sont des journalistes qui ont plus ou moins parlé de ça et envenimé la chose. On a souvent parlé pour moi, à ma place. Et d’ailleurs, j’étais encore partant cette année pour les Interclubs, malgré les incertitudes liées à l’état de ma cheville.
http://www.tennismagazine.fr/Extrait...ne-du-mois.asp

Last edited by Truc : 12-09-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #60
country flag Truc

My "translation":

The new French number 2 gave for the first time a long interview to Tennis Magazine. The occasion to know better Gaël Monfils who, like everybody knows, doesn’t like the “langue de bois”…
(I don’t know the right word for this, sorry. "langue de bois" means you don’t say what you really think, you only use stereotypes, etc.)

T.M. : You’re in Guadeloupe at the moment. Time to relax?
G.M. : Yes. I spend time with my parents, my friends. Also with groups of kids. If I can help them, it’s great. But I’m working on my physical condition too.
T.M. : You’re going to leave for the Nick Bollettieri Academy in Florida in a few days. What are you expecting from your stay there?
Gaël Monfils : I’ll practice outside, in the sun, benefit from all the nice facilities. I’ll go there with my coach, Pier Gauthier, and I’ll work only with him. I know Nick a little bit. We exchanged a few words lately. There is a sort of link now between the Lagardère Team and Bollettieri. I’ll be the first one to try out this exchange program. We’ll see. However, I’m glad to spend some time there, I already know the place for having played the Eddie Herr junior tournament in his Academy in the past.
T.M. : What are you going to do after your time at Bollettieri’s Academy?
G.M. : I’ll go back home, in Geneva and Paris, to continue training and play for my club “Paris Jean-Bouin” if they need me for the final of the French Championships.* Afterwards, I’ll leave for Doha where my season will start.
T.M. : You’re still working at the club “Paris Jean-Bouin” for the physical part of the preparation, especially with Rémi Barbarin. Which means you’re still part of the Lagardère Team…
G.M. : Of course I am. I’m 100% part of the Lagardère team. I never considered leaving it. Some journalists talked about it and made the things look worse than they were. People often talked for me, in my place. As you can see, I always wanted to play for my club in the French Championships this year, although I wasn’t sure I would because of my ankle.

* His club is qualified for the final, so I guess he will play. It takes place in Rouen next week (15-17th December).

Last edited by Truc : 12-09-2006 at 03:09 PM.