Player/Coach Changes (Murray splits with Lendl) - Page 49 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #721
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player/Coach Changes (Stani/Lundgren split, Toni/Rafa speculation)

Certainly does seem to be a charged relationship between Toni and Nadal:

Rafa Nadal has revealed he was terrified of his uncle when learning to play tennis as a child and he blames Toni for his 'insecurity' growing up.

The world number two, who is a 10-time Grand Slam champion and considered the greatest clay-court player to have ever played the game, has lifted the lid on his tumultuous relationship with his uncle in his new autobiography.

Toni has been instrumental in Nadal's rise to the top of the men's game but their relationship has often been troubled, particularly, the Spaniard revealed, in the early days.

"Toni was tough on me right from the start," Nadal said in his autobiography, which is being serialised in the Telegraph. "If he saw my head was wandering he would belt the ball hard at me … to scare me, to startle me to attention.

"My mother remembers that, as a small child, sometimes I'd come home from training crying. Toni never let up. Once I started playing competitive games, aged seven, it got tougher.

"One very hot day I went to a match without my bottle of water. I'd left it at home. He could have gone and bought me one, but he didn't, so I'd learn to take responsibility."

Nadal also blamed Toni for his early round jitters, which incredibly the French Open champion still suffers from.

"While Toni's refusal to let me off the hook has its value, in that he pushes me always to improve and do better, it can also be bad because he creates insecurity," he said.

"I often feel this way, especially in the early rounds of a tournament, and the truth is that while he deserves credit for so many good things in my career, he also deserves blame for me being more insecure than I ought to be."

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/ten...le-toni-10117/

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 22 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 7 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #722
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ creepy.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #723
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be interesting to see how Nadal would be affected by a new coach. It would probably be good for him to get rid of Toni Sopranos anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #724
country flag EddieNero
Banned!

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see them staying together after these words. Toxic relationship.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #725
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post

Rafa Nadal has revealed he was terrified of his uncle when learning to play tennis as a child and he blames Toni for his 'insecurity' growing up.

The world number two, who is a 10-time Grand Slam champion and considered the greatest clay-court player to have ever played the game, has lifted the lid on his tumultuous relationship with his uncle in his new autobiography.

Toni has been instrumental in Nadal's rise to the top of the men's game but their relationship has often been troubled, particularly, the Spaniard revealed, in the early days.

"Toni was tough on me right from the start," Nadal said in his autobiography, which is being serialised in the Telegraph. "If he saw my head was wandering he would belt the ball hard at me … to scare me, to startle me to attention.

"My mother remembers that, as a small child, sometimes I'd come home from training crying. Toni never let up. Once I started playing competitive games, aged seven, it got tougher.

"One very hot day I went to a match without my bottle of water. I'd left it at home. He could have gone and bought me one, but he didn't, so I'd learn to take responsibility."

Nadal also blamed Toni for his early round jitters, which incredibly the French Open champion still suffers from.

"While Toni's refusal to let me off the hook has its value, in that he pushes me always to improve and do better, it can also be bad because he creates insecurity," he said.

"I often feel this way, especially in the early rounds of a tournament, and the truth is that while he deserves credit for so many good things in my career, he also deserves blame for me being more insecure than I ought to be."

Looks like the label of Don Toni is very much deserved .
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #726
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Wawrinka not sure who can help him now.

He can help himself. Tsonga does not have a coach but he has had a very decent year. Wawrinka knows his strengths and weaknesses more than anyone. Now is the time for him to go it alone.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #727
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever Rafa decides I will support it. Toni has brought him to a great level and he will never be forgotten, his super strategies and unbeatable command of the game. Rafa might need to do something different. His motivation will be unbeatable next year.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #728
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Hitting to opponents' BH and hoping for errors and not knowing what to do if it doesn't work is a super strategy. OK. Now I've seen it all.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #729
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Hitting to opponents' BH and hoping for errors and not knowing what to do if it doesn't work is a super strategy. OK. Now I've seen it all.
you must think of tennis like a stick and ball drawn on a rice paper.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #730
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post

I’d suggest you read the whole book and not just excerpts. The excerpts are likely to be the most sensational.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #731
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafa splitting up with Toni?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
I can confirm it with none-factual evidence. During the USO final, he was yelling/screaming something at Uncle Toni during the first set. It had to do with tactical issues I believe. He disagreed with him on the right approaches against opponents I think.
Actually he wrote in his bio about something similar that happened last year at the USO. In the second round match against Istomin, they had a quarrel that could have damaged the rest of his USo campaign. The match was tough and Rafa looked worried through it but he managed to win. In the locker room afterwards Toni complained about his poor attitude on court and insisted that he always puts a 'good face', not showing his emotions or frustration. Rafa defended himself arguing that he just did what he had told him, play safe and hit high balls. And that it was just human to show some anxiety, but that he didn't lose the concentration.
To all of which Toni replied "Ok, i just tell you what I think and if you don't like it, I'm off home and you can go find yourself a new coach".

I think Toni's reaction was way too disproportionate, but that's how things have always been between them. Toni is the preacher, the big talker, and Rafa is the listener, the humble apprentice. That worked while Rafa was young, but now that he's becoming more a man of his own, it's only normal that he talks back and expresses his opinions. I don't think any other player would be able to work under those conditions, but because Toni is family he can get away with it. It's how Rafa has been brough up. A very complacent and obedient child. After reading this book you're left with some bile taste in your mouth. To me this relationship doesn't look at all proper or positive.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #732
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wawrinka splits with Lundgren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
Stantastic is a mess right now.
At least he said gentlemanly things when parting from Lundgren.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #733
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
That’s your perception. It wasn’t mine. It didn’t sound creepy at all in the book, unless you think a close family that keeps it’s business to itself is creepy. I also resent your saying it’s made to look like a Sicilian clan because that carries the innuendo that their business dealings are criminally tainted when a reasonable mind could glean nothing of the sort from the book. That seems to be your own willingness to cast aspersions on the family and is no different than what people do with Nole’s family — something you don’t like at all.

Toni and Sebastian started the business together and created a business where Toni owns half the business. I suppose Sebastian could have dissolved the partnership because I’m sure there is some sort of legal process for that in Spain, but he has chosen not to do so. This business partnership existed prior to Toni coaching Rafa. If Toni and Rafa split, I’m sure Toni will continue to receive whatever portion of the business profits has been agreed on. We don’t really know if that is half of the profits or not. Sebastian has said there is nothing that could make him fight with his brothers, so I don’t think there’s any dispute in the family.
I don't have any hidden agenda, Star.
I'm expressing my opinion after reading the book. You must recognise that Rafa-Toni relationship is not very normal.
When I said they are made to sound like a Sicilian clan, I don't mean anything bad, or criminally-related, just that they're a very close family with their own rules and ethic code. Everything stays in the family. It's cool, my family is like that too, like most Spanish families, but I don't think Toni is a very good guy, that's my sincere opinion. I'm sorry if you read something else in my comment, that wasn't the intention, maybe I didn't pick the right words.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #734
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Actually he wrote in his bio about something similar that happened last year at the USO. In the second round match against Istomin, they had a quarrel that could have damaged the rest of his USo campaign. The match was tough and Rafa looked worried through it but he managed to win. In the locker room afterwards Toni complained about his poor attitude on court and insisted that he always puts a 'good face', not showing his emotions or frustration. Rafa defended himself arguing that he just did what he had told him, play safe and hit high balls. And that it was just human to show some anxiety, but that he didn't lose the concentration.
To all of which Toni replied "Ok, i just tell you what I think and if you don't like it, I'm off home and you can go find yourself a new coach".

I think Toni's reaction was way too disproportionate, but that's how things have always been between them. Toni is the preacher, the big talker, and Rafa is the listener, the humble apprentice. That worked while Rafa was young, but now that he's becoming more a man of his own, it's only normal that he talks back and expresses his opinions. I don't think any other player would be able to work under those conditions, but because Toni is family he can get away with it. It's how Rafa has been brough up. A very complacent and obedient child. After reading this book you're left with some bile taste in your mouth. To me this relationship doesn't look at all proper or positive.
No, YOU are left with “a bile taste.” You should have used the first person, “I," as the subject. Others may see it differently than you see it. You are eager to cast aspersions and to see the bad side of things. Others can read the book with different eyes. I certainly did. For instance I don’t know where you get the adjective “complacent.” From reading the book Rafa did not seem like a “complacent” child although I agree he was an obedient child. Also Rafa says in the book that he was never forced to train with Toni, and he wanted to train with him despite his feeling that Toni was hard on him. The worst year of his childhood that he describes is when as a teen-ager he went to Palma for school and was not training with Toni. Rafa also talks several times of the love he has for Toni although that love is secondary for the love and admiration he feels for his father.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #735
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
No, YOU are left with “a bile taste.” You should have used the first person, “I," as the subject. Others may see it differently than you see it. You are eager to cast aspersions and to see the bad side of things. Others can read the book with different eyes. I certainly did. For instance I don’t know where you get the adjective “complacent.” From reading the book Rafa did not seem like a “complacent” child although I agree he was an obedient child. Also Rafa says in the book that he was never forced to train with Toni, and he wanted to train with him despite his feeling that Toni was hard on him. The worst year of his childhood that he describes is when as a teen-ager he went to Palma for school and was not training with Toni. Rafa also talks several times of the love he has for Toni although that love is secondary for the love and admiration he feels for his father.
I answered it in the previous comment. Whatever.

Novak Djokovic nº1!