My thoughts on Federer's future - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #1
country flag sk0815

sk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond reputesk0815 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My thoughts on Federer's future

Hello, I hardly posted messages in this forum but mainly play the reader/observer role, but as expected, all those "Federer can only win 250/500" / "He is done" threads come up...

My thoughts on him are as follows:

1) I dont think his loss is THAT bad at all, compared with Murray's loss in Aussie final and Nadal's loss in RG. But I must say I am a bit disappointed with his serve. In fact, Djokovic served better than him.

2) It is amazing that he could have retired gloriously in 2012 (just like Graf and Sampras - retiring in the year they won a slam), but he would continue to hang on for another few years, knowing that his future path as a 30s something would be very tough, yet he accepts the tough path and the big challenge to play against guys much younger than him.

Agassi is the only other one that I could think of who kept playing until mid-30s. He retired in 2006, having won his last slam in 2003.

3) I actually rather hope he would retire on a high note by winning the Olympics singles gold as an "alternative" goal (just like the Davis Cup). Whether he wins the 18th Slam or not really does not make much difference to me, but I think it would be very exciting to see him winning the Olympic gold! [Perhaps even mixed doubles gold with Hingis, to get the complete gold "collection" - singles, mens doubles and mixed doubles!!]

I think the Olympics format should be more favourable to his age - it is best-of-3-set until the SF, and only 5-set in the final (is my memory correct on this?)

4) I see a lot of immature members posting some insulting comments in the "general messages" section, not only against him but also against other players. As Federer said after the match, he does work very hard, but so do the other guys! As someone turns 30, his days as a tennis player are being counted. I don't know the average age of the members of this forum, but can we imagine ourselves running around the court for 3 hours as 34-year-old? How would Michael Phelps fare if he swims in the Olympics in his 30s? What could have happened to Sampras' career had he continued in 2003? As long as Federer wants to keep playing and enjoys himself, he has the right to play until he is 40!
sk0815 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
country flag Eden
Attention

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts on Federer's future

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

It's best to ignore GM, the worst part of the forum. You can mainly find trolling and insulting stuff over there indeed.

Well, yesterday's loss is tough because Roger was in good form heading into the final but we can clearly see that it's a tough task to beat Muray and Djokovic back to back in best of 5 matches.

Roger usually forgets losses quite quickly and he is experienced enough to deal with such disappointments as he had quite many of them in his career.

Of course it would be the perfect end for Roger to retire with a big title but let's imagine he would have retired after Wimbledon in 2012 - then he wouldn't have the Davis Cup title won...

You never know what is waiting for him.

It's getting more and more difficult though for Roger to win a big title which is just natural.

I think his biggest chance on the Olympic Gold Medal was in London but it wasn't meant to be.

It has to be seen if he decides to play Mixed together with Hingis at the Olympics next year and skips doubles with Wawrinka.

First of all Roger has to fullfill the nomination rules for Olympics though and play at a DC event...

Roger is so blessed with his career and everything he achieves at this stage of it is only a bonus.

It's amazing he can still compete with the best players in the world at his age, with all the matches he played in his career and with 4 kids at his side.

Tennis fans all around the world love and admire Roger and this won't change whether he wins another main title or not.

Who followed tennis in the last 15 years will hopefully always respect and appreciate what Roger gave to the game .
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
country flag Fearhand

Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond reputeFearhand has a reputation beyond repute

People may try to snipe and criticize and marginalize what Fed is doing but in a decade people will look back on him being number 2 in the world at 34 years old, making a 10th wimbledon final, and all the rest of his recent accomplishments as what they are: valuable additions to his legacy.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Hagar

Hagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond reputeHagar has a reputation beyond repute

Roger's loss in the Wimbledon final still hurts but I feel he was not that far from Novak's level. A match that has 2 tiebreaks has been close for a considerable part of the match. Let Roger hold serve after he broke in the first set then the first set is his, and since he loves to be a frontrunner the outcome could have been different. Novak could come back from 2 sets down against Anderson but I don't think he could have pulled that off against Roger.
I personally think that Roger's age does not play that much of a role. All the top players work a lot on their condition and I am sure that Roger's condition is a good as anyone's. I think that he has a more risky game which makes him more prone to unforced errors on a lesser day. Whereas Novak has chosen to be a robot on the court. It's very efficient but less pleasing to the eye. There is a reason why people all over the world love Roger and fewer warm up to Novak. I don't think any Fed fan would want Roger to replicate Novak's game.

The one thing that probably does play a role in Roger being less consistent is something we probably forget from time to time: the guy is dad to 4 young kids! And he seems like a guy who loves to be involved with his kids so I can imagine that his life is a lot more complicated than it was before July 2009. There are other dads on the ATP-tour but I think that Roger probably is the only one with 4 kids in tow... And I know, he has all the money in the world to hire nannies and help etc... but it still remains a very busy life.

In any case, it will be hard for Roger to win more Slams but as long as he can put himself in the final of a Slam, he gives himself the opportunity to do it. I regret the US Open last year, if he had to play Kei he would have had a great shot at number 18.
Kuerten: tennis in the shape of a heart
Ollie Rochus: the lil'man that broke Karlovic
Hagar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:22 AM   #5
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi route would be an interesting challenge. He reached the USO final at the age of 35. That would be similar to Roger reaching the USO final next year.

Agassi after his last slam win at 31 had:

1 win, 2 Fs, 3 SFs, 6 QFs. = 2(6) + 3(5) + 6(4) = 12 + 15 + 24 = 51

Fed after his last slam win at 31 has:

1 win, 2 Fs, 3 SFs, and 3 QFs. = 12+ 15 + 12 = 39

Connors after his last slam win at 31 has:

1 win, 1 F, 8 SFs, and 3 QFs. = 6 + 8(5) + 3(4) = 58 wins.

So, after 31 we have:

Connors 58
Agassi 51
Federer 39

Fed would need another 19 wins to match Connors and another 12 to match Agassi. 2 more SFs will do it.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
shaoyu

shaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond repute

The Wimbledon final is a bit mysterious to me. In the 3rd and 4th set Roger's energy seemed waning. Yet he chose to engage in long rallies with Djokovic in the first 2 sets.

But still, very much appreciate his trophy speech, where he implied to continue for years. Who knows, if he can keep up at this level I am sure there will be multiple openings for him to take #18 within the next 12 to 24 months. Keep in mind Djokovic is not young any more either. I think even meetings between the two could be hard to tell if Djokovic's level drops ever slightly.

Last edited by shaoyu : 07-22-2015 at 04:56 AM.
shaoyu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote