~Davis Cup 2006: 1st round against Germany~ - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #166
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Davis Cup 2006: 1st round against Germany~

sorry i missed it- but yay!!! Nice to see Seb take his revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #167
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Aww. Paulo didn't get to play.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #168
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via
the team certainly has more confidence than its fans
Yes, I don't read a lot in the forums of the French players, but I'm a little bit shocked by the general pessimism, especially in the Davis Cup! Have more faith in the French team, they are GREAT! If you knew how much the Germans envy us for having such a team. The reactions in the German press today are so sad. But they give all credit to the French team.
That was a fantastic display of the Frenchies in Halle!
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #169
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

The Germans were so gracious today after Haas-Llodra. They congratulated France in French and wished them good luck against Russia.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #170
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Germans are the nicest.

It's good and completely deserved that the final score is 3-2 because of how the German players fought to make this a fantastic tie with wonderful tennis.

Thanks for the info Silverwhite. It was not televised (not on terrestrial tv at least...) here.

The last article from daviscup.com:

Quote:
12 Feb 2006 - Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, GER - Chris Bowers - GER v FRA

France eyes quarterfinal as German pride restored

Germany salvaged some pride from a disappointing weekend by winning both the dead singles against France, but it’s the French who are busy making preparations for a home quarterfinal against Russia.

Wins for Schuettler and Haas

With Nicolas Kiefer announcing he was under medical instruction not to play because of an injury to his left foot he’s been carrying for the past five weeks, Rainer Schuettler came in for his first action of the weekend, and dispatched Arnaud Clement 64 63 in an entertaining match. Then Tommy Haas, who would probably have preferred a day off after playing 15 matches since the start of the year, opted to play so as not to sell the spectators short, and he beat Michael Llodra, 63 63, to make the final score 3-2 for the visitors.

Perhaps the biggest boon for the hosts was the crowd – at 7100 only 200 down on the total from Saturday. That added to the overall impression that Halle had been a successful Davis Cup by BNP Paribas venue, but Germany’s players will need to rise to the team occasion better than they have over the past four years if they’re to see many more World Group ties in the impressive Gerry Weber Stadium.

France looks ahead to Russia clash

The French had also stayed around, and there were enough French journalists to make an enormous din in the media restaurant when Antoine Dénériaz took the men’s downhill gold medal at the Winter Olympics with an unexpected late run. But France’s tennis players needed no late run to seal victory – that was achieved by Saturday evening, and there was no sense of false optimism when the travelling band of French supporters stuck four placards on the stadium wall: ‘1991’, ‘1996’, ‘2001’ and ‘2006?’ They clearly believe they have the team this year for a fourth title of the modern era.

France’s captain Guy Forget chose, as ever, to play down any attempt to look too far ahead. “The supporters like to dream,” he said, “and the Russians won’t be easy, even if they are away from home, particularly if Marat Safin returns to play.” But behind the caution, the wily Frenchman knows he has the makings of a side every bit as good as the team he steered to victory in Melbourne in 2001 and the one he was part of in the dramatic 1996 final that France won on a 10-8 fifth set.

The revelation of the weekend for the French was the return to form of Richard Gasquet. A gamble when selected, after losing three of his four matches before this weekend, the 19-year-old played a superb match to beat Tommy Haas on Friday, the result which broke the spine of the German challenge. If he can maintain that level of form and remain injury-free, then he will be a worthy French No 1, with Sébastien Grosjean providing valuable support. And by winning a match in which Clément didn’t play well, the doubles team of Clément and Llodra are likely to be a match for any pair.
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #171
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back at home and I really don't know what to say about this amazing week-end for french sport...
I didn't saw the whole match yesterday, I just watched the 3 first sets and I was afraid by Arnaud who wasn't good in the beginning.
Well they won and it's the most important. Arnaud played well at the end so it's good.

This team is really magic. I know Fabrice has his place and I still wonder what's wrong between him and the other guys, I know I critized Forget but when I watch him cheering for his players on the chair, and making so beautiful speeches after the match (it reminds a famous speech of 2002...) I think he's just " GENIAL". I love his way of thinking, it's utopic as he says but it's good to hear (it's yannick noah's spirit).
Si maybe he's right not to select santoro...after all, I'm sure it's this famous spirit, this friendship which made them win so...

-> http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=245

"et on regarde le staff et vous me regardez moi, parce que moi j'ai la haine, moi j'vais vous la lifer l'envie de jouer !!!"

Forget's speech: http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=246
On a envie d'y croire, à son utopisme, non ?

Guy Forget

Last edited by Marine : 02-12-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #172
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
"et on regarde le staff et vous me regardez moi, parce que moi j'ai la haine, moi j'vais vous la lifer l'envie de jouer !!!"
Non, ce n'est pas Bernard Laporte
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #173
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
Non, ce n'est pas Bernard Laporte
Guy admited he loves rugby spirit, he had the chance to be in the bus of the french team before a match England / France (everybody knows which means this battle for any French lol) and it was absolutly amazing, this spirit.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #174
country flag Via

Via has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc
Yes, I don't read a lot in the forums of the French players, but I'm a little bit shocked by the general pessimism, especially in the Davis Cup!
i suspect you didn't follow french media reports too closely! lol

Quote:
But they give all credit to the French team.
that's nice
Via is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #175
country flag silverwhite

I hear they're thinking of choosing a fast taraflax in Pau against Russia.

I would have thought that grass would be a wiser choice.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #176
country flag InfiniteSadness

InfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond reputeInfiniteSadness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite
I hear they're thinking of choosing a fast taraflax in Pau against Russia.

I would have thought that grass would be a wiser choice.
I do think that grass would have been great too but the fact is that putting grass is very difficult and they don't have a lot of time for that (+ it will be in indoors so have you ever seen grass in indoors? )

And I heard that there is a rule which says that the country who receives the other team must choose a surface where some atp tournaments are played on it (I mean France has no tournament with grass as a surface)

I hope it makes sense.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
InfiniteSadness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #177
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteSadness
I do think that grass would have been great too but the fact is that putting grass is very difficult and they don't have a lot of time for that (+ it will be in indoors so have you ever seen grass in indoors? )
Exactly. France has no decent grass court to host this kind of event. It was the same problem last year for the Fed Cup tie against Spain, grass would have been the better choice of course (directly after Wimbledon!) But they played on hardcourt since there was no grass court.
Anyway, I think it would be a problem to play on grass in the middle of April even for Seb and Richard. They need to adapt to the surface too. You must feel comfortable on the surface yourself.
I'm not sure the choice of the surface is very important against Russia. With some teams, it's obvious. But France and Russia can play on every surface.

Last edited by Truc : 02-13-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #178
country flag silverwhite

Ah, OK. Too bad then, because Davydenko and Safin can play indoors but don't play as well on grass.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #179
country flag silverwhite

Quote:
Exactly. There isn't any decent grass court in France for this kind of event. It was the same problem last year for the Fed Cup tie against Spain, grass would have been the better choice of course (directly after Wimbledon!)

I'm not sure the choice of the surface is very important against Russia. With some teams, it's obvious. But France and Russia can play on every surface.
Against Russia too! They would have won Fed Cup if they were able to play on grass.

Like I said above, Davydenko and Safin feel much more comfortable indoors than on grass.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #180
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I don't read a lot in the forums of the French players, but I'm a little bit shocked by the general pessimism, especially in the Davis Cup! Have more faith in the French team, they are GREAT! If you knew how much the Germans envy us for having such a team. The reactions in the German press today are so sad. But they give all credit to the French team.
That was a fantastic display of the Frenchies in Halle!
I also think there's nothing to be pessimistic about, France has a great team. I'm Dutch, but France is my fav DC team and I believed in their victory from the day I bought my tickets. It was really great to see them win and be there in the same stadium .

Saturday evening I talked to Layhani and he thinks that France is a great team and that they won because of their team spirit.

And I really think the Dutch envy France even more for having such a great team, I know I do, because our team has some team spirit, but it seems they just can't put it to good use .