Ivanisevic offered Davis Cup spot! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
country flag In_Disguise

In_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond reputeIn_Disguise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ivanisevic offered Davis Cup spot!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4284018.stm

Croatia captain Niki Pilic wants former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic in his squad for the Davis Cup final.
Pilic originally suggested the 34-year-old play off against Sasa Tuksar for the fourth place in the team to face Slovakia in December.

But he explained: "Perhaps it was a bit careless and taken out of context. Obviously the position is Ivanisevic's if he wants it."

Ivanisevic retired in 2003 but has been playing on the senior tour.

"He is the golden boy of Croatian sport and Croatian tennis and there is no ambiguity about his nomination," said Pilic.

Ivanisevic was on the sidelines as assistant coach as Croatia reached the final for the first time in their history with victory over Russia.

Even if he is included in Croatia's playing squad, Ivanisevic has a slim chance of actually playing.

Ivan Ljubicic and Mario Ancic have played both singles and doubles for Croatia throughout this year, with Ivo Karlovic first reserve.

Meanwhile, hosts Slovakia remain hopeful that they can stage the final at their National Tennis Centre in Bratislava.

The venue seats just 4,000, the minimum allowed under Davis Cup regulations.

By contrast, Spain won last year's title in front of 27,000 spectators, the largest-ever crowd to attend an official tennis competition.

The International Tennis Federation will inspect the stadium but it remains possible the final could be moved to an ice hockey venue, with an 8,000 capacity.

"It's possible that we will have to play someplace else," said Slovak number one Dominik Hrbaty.

"But we'd like to play in the NTC, we know it well there and we feel good there."
In_Disguise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ivanisevic offered Davis Cup spot!

Sasa

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
country flag Sugar Kane

Sugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Kane has a reputation beyond repute

I'd LOVE to see him play again, great idea
Sugar Kane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, they should play off. A retired player cant just come in and take someones spot without having to prove that he is still useful
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimentee
To be fair, they should play off. A retired player cant just come in and take someones spot without having to prove that he is still useful
I agree, I don't think it's fair at all.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
country flag Margy

Margy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimentee
You are absolutely right. This is not only unfair to Tuksar but to the other 3 members of the team who will now have their accomplishments overshadowed by the "return of the king". If he comes in for a playoff match and actually earns the spot, that would be different. But just gifting him with it is totally, totally wrong!
Margy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
country flag hitchhiker

hitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond repute

open doors into the croatian davis cup team all of a sudden. i assume the croatian president is going to be one of the reserves.
hitchhiker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margy
You are absolutely right. This is not only unfair to Tuksar but to the other 3 members of the team who will now have their accomplishments overshadowed by the "return of the king". If he comes in for a playoff match and actually earns the spot, that would be different. But just gifting him with it is totally, totally wrong!
Guys, Goran is almost considered a god out there, I tell you !
Old 09-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
country flag hitchhiker

hitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond reputehitchhiker has a reputation beyond repute

last i heard you can bid for the last place on the team on ebay
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #10

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker
last i heard you can bid for the last place on the team on ebay
how do you think Ferrero got his place in Spain DC team ?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
country flag s.m.

s.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond reputes.m. has a reputation beyond repute

you are all talking about things that you know nothing about
way off base
talking about unfair, justice, and so on
none of the people involved feels those things, but you all do
ridiculous
croatia davis cup team is united, and will show that in bratislava when they lift that trophy together
s.m. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
country flag hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.
croatia davis cup team is united, and will show that in bratislava when they lift that trophy together
how can they lift the trophy together when karlovic is part of the team?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
BTW doesn't Karlovic count as 2 players ?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
country flag hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
BTW doesn't Karlovic count as 2 players ?
personally i count him as 1/7th of a player. a serve, no forehand, backhand, volley, drop shot, lob or smash.