~Ivo Karlovic*["King Karlo"]*Thread!~ - Page 44 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #646
country flag networthy

networthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Ivo Karlovic*["King Karlo"]*Thread!~

Also, I don't believe this has been mentioned yet but in two weeks, Ivo will move up to around #13 in the world...
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 AM   #647
country flag Ivo#1Fan

Ivo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Also, I don't believe this has been mentioned yet but in two weeks, Ivo will move up to around #13 in the world...
That's amazing considering he's not really had that great a year so far, just 3 big tournaments. It just goes to show that there is so much parity out there and the top few players collect so many of the big ranking points. Ivo really could step up to top 10 if he just had a little success in grand slams. Hopefully he'll finally win several rounds this US Open. He's #16 this week. It really is amazing though that he's risen so high. It wasn't that long ago that he was ranked around #100 although in the last year he's really been consistent staying in the 20-25 range.
Ivo#1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #648
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

He was #98 at the end of 2006 I think. Got to #22 last year and I thought he won't stay that high having to defend points from "small" tournaments and not doing good in grand slams but he's playing well in AMSs and that's helping. Good luck in USO

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #649
country flag networthy

networthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond repute

In a way August and September are "the calm before the storm" for Ivo. In October he'll be defending a whopping 555 points so he'll likely drop out of the top 20. To avoid that he needs to do well at the US Open (which, given his record at GS events, is unlikely) or at the October AMS events (Paris and Madrid).
Old 08-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #650
country flag Ivo#1Fan

Ivo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In a way August and September are "the calm before the storm" for Ivo. In October he'll be defending a whopping 555 points so he'll likely drop out of the top 20. To avoid that he needs to do well at the US Open (which, given his record at GS events, is unlikely) or at the October AMS events (Paris and Madrid).
Not all 550 points are even counting towards his ranking because Tokyo (110 of the points) isn't even one of his 5 highest optionals. Indoor hard tends to be Ivo's best season anyway so I'm sure he'll pick up a lot of points during October again this year. Sure it's possible he may slip back a bit, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he actually has better results towards the end of this year and climbs a bit higher in the rankings still. Aren't there two late season Masters Series which Ivo could pick up a lot of points from and he isn't defending any?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #651
country flag networthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo#1Fan View Post
Not all 550 points are even counting towards his ranking because Tokyo (110 of the points) isn't even one of his 5 highest optionals. Indoor hard tends to be Ivo's best season anyway so I'm sure he'll pick up a lot of points during October again this year. Sure it's possible he may slip back a bit, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he actually has better results towards the end of this year and climbs a bit higher in the rankings still. Aren't there two late season Masters Series which Ivo could pick up a lot of points from and he isn't defending any?

You're right about Tokyo, but only through this week. Because of the scheduling changes due to the Olympics, 2007 Cincinnati results come off next week at which point Tokyo will again be a top five optional for Ivo. As far as the late-season AMS events, he'll be defending another 110 points (75 in Madrid and 35 in Paris). Other that that, he'll also be defending 110 from Basel and 225 from Stockholm.

I agree with you that indoor hard is Ivo's best surface so hopefully he'll pick up a lot of points again and remain in the top 15. It's just not guaranteed.

On the positive side, Ivo will be moving up to #13 next week, which is very impressive (again, that's because his 110 points from Tokyo replaces his 5 points from Cincinnati last year). Honestly, I never thought Ivo would go up that high so I'm very happy. Regardless of what happens later this year, let's enjoy Ivo's accomplishments for now.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #652
country flag Ivo#1Fan

Quote:
On the positive side, Ivo will be moving up to #13 next week, which is very impressive (again, that's because his 110 points from Tokyo replaces his 5 points from Cincinnati last year). Honestly, I never thought Ivo would go up that high so I'm very happy. Regardless of what happens later this year, let's enjoy Ivo's accomplishments for now.

Are you sure he moves up to #13, doesn't it depend on what happens at the Olympics? I think Gonzalez has already passed Ivo in points and Simon will too if he beats Blake. Any new career high is great though and yes, definitely I'm enjoying his accomplishments. He's just been so consistent in the rankings the past year that I'm getting greedy for a bit more. He shows flashes of even greater potential now and then. I do think top 10 is realistic. Maybe not longterm since as you point out he could be losing a lot of points down the road, but a big US Open could really push him up.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #653
country flag networthy

Quote:
Are you sure he moves up to #13, doesn't it depend on what happens at the Olympics? I think Gonzalez has already passed Ivo in points and Simon will too if he beats Blake. Any new career high is great though and yes, definitely I'm enjoying his accomplishments.
You're right, I forgot about Gonzalez; my bad. So, yes, Gonzalez will overtake Ivo. Fortunately Simon lost, so Ivo will still move up to #14. Not quite as good as #13 but still a career-high ranking for Ivo

Quote:
He's just been so consistent in the rankings the past year that I'm getting greedy for a bit more. He shows flashes of even greater potential now and then. I do think top 10 is realistic. Maybe not longterm since as you point out he could be losing a lot of points down the road, but a big US Open could really push him up.
At the end of last year, after Ivo's breakthrough 2007, I really didn't think he would be able to sustain his level of play but he has surprised me. I was very impressed with how well he did in Cincinnati. Like you said, he shows flashes of very high potential so top 10 is definitely realistic. Here's hoping for a breakthrough US Open for Ivo!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #654
country flag Ivo#1Fan

If Isner wins today we'll get the Karlovic vs. Isner showdown in New Haven. It should be Karlovic all the way, but Isner could be tough since it's in the US and Isner tends to play well here and gets lots of crowd support.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #655
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ivo on #14

Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #656
country flag Ivo#1Fan

solid 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 win over Isner, but shaky final service game. Ivo didn't face break point of double fault the whole match. Then in the final service game he got down 0-30, won 3 points in a row, threw in his 1st double fault on match point to go to deuce for only the 2nd time all match, and then finally closed it out solidly with a couple of 1st serves. It was a poor 1st set TB with Ivo losing 3 service points, but besides that Ivo really dominated and gave Isner a lot of trouble on serve in the 2nd and 3rd sets, especially the 2nd. No question Ivo is far stronger player.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #657
♤23♤

Ivo plays Jan Minar in the first round of USO. If he loses, he should retire. Doesn't matter that it's best of 5, Ivo is #14 and should easily beat players like Jan Minar.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #658
country flag networthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
Ivo plays Jan Minar in the first round of USO. If he loses, he should retire. Doesn't matter that it's best of 5, Ivo is #14 and should easily beat players like Jan Minar.
Yup, couldn't agree more...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #659
country flag Ivo#1Fan

Quote:
Retire?? Should't he just kill himself. You're sounding like TennisFanCroatia. Ivo's going to have a lot more sucky losses over his career, but he's going to mix in a lot of good wins too. It is time for him to have a descent run in a grand slam, actually it's past time!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #660
country flag Blue Heart24

Blue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Couldnt agree more,#3.

Ivo Fan
Blue Heart24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote