Andy's Autumn schedule - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andy's Autumn schedule

I've been thinking about Andy's Autumn schedule and how he should go about accumulating points after the US Open. He will surely need a break after his long summer in the Americas. The US Open finishes on September 11. Having looked at the ATP calendar on their website, the following tournaments seem likely to be of greatest interest to Andy. I have left out Metz, Vienna, Moscow, Basel, Lyon and St. Petersburg because I don't think Andy could even make the qualifying tournaments at these events.

Szczecin, Poland Challenger Outdoor Clay 125+H 19/09/05
Grenoble, France Challenger Indoor Hard 75+H 26/09/05
Japan ATP 48 Outdoor Hard 03/10/05
Mons, Belgium Challenger Indoor Carpet 125+H 03/10/05
Stockholm ATP Indoor Hard 10/10/05
Madrid Mandatory48 Indoor Hard 17/10/05
Kolding, Denmark Challenger Indoor Carpet 50+H 17/10/05
Paris Mandatory48 Indoor Carpet 31/10/05
Aachen, Germany Challenger Indoor Carpet 50+H 31/10/05

(Sorry about formatting.)

[Edit: as pointed out below, the Davis Cup tie between Britain and Switzerland will be played from September 23-25 in Geneva, which rules out Szezecin and makes the Japan Open look less appealing.]

Meanwhile, his points situation is that he will be on 277 after Granby in about 150th place in the rankings. He has about thirty points that he will lose in August that he won in Futures last year, and then nothing much to lose until December, when he will lose another 24 points from Futures events. (I'm not quite sure whether the December tournaments will roll off his ranking before the Australian Open entry is drawn up but I think so.)

Now, suppose Andy's goal is to be ranked about 100-105 by the time that direct entries are made for the Australian Open, in order to guarantee his place in the draw. Looking at the current ATP Entry rankings, he would need 408 points to be ranked 100th. At year-end 2004, he would have needed 434 points. He doesn't have to be ranked quite as high as 100 to get into the Slams (2004 average cut-off was 106) so let's set a goal of 420 points.

Andy's worst six tournaments that will still count towards his ranking at year-end, unless he does better in any tournaments between now and year-end, are 2,4,4,5,5,7. So, by mid-December (entry cut-off was Aussie Open), Andy needs to win 197 points (420-277-54) from the rest of this year's tournaments, plus any of the points from his six worst events that will be pushed out by any better results.

Meanwhile, we know Andy is playing the Vancouver Challenger next week. After that, he may get into the qualies for the Montreal Masters Series (needs ten withdrawals) and the situation is similar for the Cincinnati Masters the week after that. He is also on the Alt list at New Haven (Pilot Pen). On the whole, it seems quite possible he won't play any tournaments except Vancouver before late September unless he does really well and qualifies for the Open or one of the Masters series (I doubt he'll get any wild cards into main draws).

With his ranking where it is at the moment, it seems unlikely he will get into even the qualifying tournaments for either the Paris or Madrid Masters Series in October. The field sizes are only 48 plus 24 in qualifying. So let's assume he will play Kolding and Aachen in those weeks. That basically leaves him with this decision: should he enter the Japan Open, where, looking at last year's entries, he would have a good chance of getting straight into the main draw? Tournaments with a field of 48 are quite useful because you are guaranteed to avoid the top 16 seeds in the first round. On top of that, the strength of the field last year was not that great, presumably because of the travel and the event's position in the calendar, half way between the US Open and the Madrid Masters. On the other hand, if he went there, he would have to skip Grenoble and Mons and wouldalso rule himself out of the Stockholm qualies. I suppose he could still play Szczecin but would he really feel like playing an isolated clay-court tournament at that stage of the season?

I think maybe he would be best to play Grenoble, Mons, Stockholm qualifying, Kolding and Aachen and, depending on how this would affect his game, he should consider Szczecin.

What do others think about this?

Last edited by chalkdust : 08-01-2005 at 11:10 AM. Reason: omission of Davis Cup
chalkdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's Autumn schedule

thx,

I think he shouldn't play that much challengers cause if he wins a 100k he'll lose 70 next year, he wont play challengers anymore as soon as he's ranked higher and get entries in bigger events.

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute

His problem is that he won't gain entry to many ATP events unless he gets his ranking up. The wild cards he has been getting could dry up pretty fast too unless he performs well enough that he no longer really needs them. At the moment, he has almost no points to defend in September, October or November so he may as well try to fill that part of the year with some decent ranking points.

He really needs a good performance next week to give himself better chances of qualifying for the more important events in October and next January. Either that or some luck and an amazing performance at one of the August tournaments. Maybe he'll get a wild card into the Montreal qualies, which would help.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
country flag AndyMurray

AndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMurray has a reputation beyond repute

So you're hoping he doesn't make the final in Vancouver then?!
AndyMurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #5

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

No, he should win Vancouver and get a WC into the main Draw

All youngsters

Old 07-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
country flag kundalini

kundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine he might play a schedule along the lines of:

Szczecin, Poland Challenger Outdoor Clay 125+H 19/09/05
Grenoble, France Challenger Indoor Hard 75+H 26/09/05
Mons, Belgium Challenger Indoor Carpet 125+H 03/10/05
Stockholm ATP Indoor Hard 10/10/05
Kolding, Denmark Challenger Indoor Carpet 50+H 17/10/05
Aachen, Germany Challenger Indoor Carpet 50+H 31/10/05

There is also the Davis Cup match. Not quite sure how this fits into the schedule as they are played Fri, Sat, Sun.

Right now, I think it may be very difficult to reach the top 100 by the end of the year. His recent results have been disappointing; losses to an unfit and woefully out of form Mardy Fish, and tour journeyman Carraz don't quite fit with the picture of Andy as an emerging talent.

At this rate it seems unlikely he will be able to make it through qualifying for the US Open. Though perhaps his form will pick up in time. Hope he does better in Vancouver this week.

Can't see him getting into the qualifying for the Masters, he is too far down and you can't make much of a case for him getting a wildcard as he wasted the ones he got into Rhode Island and Indianappolis.

Last edited by kundalini : 07-31-2005 at 05:27 PM.
kundalini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
country flag kundalini

kundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond reputekundalini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust
His problem is that he won't gain entry to many ATP events unless he gets his ranking up. The wild cards he has been getting could dry up pretty fast too unless he performs well enough that he no longer really needs them. At the moment, he has almost no points to defend in September, October or November so he may as well try to fill that part of the year with some decent ranking points.

He really needs a good performance next week to give himself better chances of qualifying for the more important events in October and next January. Either that or some luck and an amazing performance at one of the August tournaments. Maybe he'll get a wild card into the Montreal qualies, which would help.
I agree.

To do well next year he needs decent results now in order to gain direct qualification into the Aus Open and other main tour events.

He then needs good performances to get into the Masters tournaments early in the year in Indian Wells and Miami.

And more good results to get into the 64 player draws for the clay court Masters events.

A few more poor results and a large chunk of next season may have to be spent on the Challenger circuit trying to get the points needed to break into the top 100.

If only he had beaten Mardy Fish (or indeed Nalbandian at Wimbledon), he would have had Bastl in the next round, and a great chance to get 50 points or more.

He needs 200 points (approx). At the current rate he isn't going to get them. But winning Vancouver would give him a decent chance.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
country flag kundalini

Quote:
I've been thinking about Andy's Autumn schedule and how he should go about accumulating points after the US Open. He will surely need a break after his long summer in the Americas. The US Open finishes on September 11. .

That basically leaves him with this decision: should he enter the Japan Open, where, looking at last year's entries, he would have a good chance of getting straight into the main draw? Tournaments with a field of 48 are quite useful because you are guaranteed to avoid the top 16 seeds in the first round. On top of that, the strength of the field last year was not that great, presumably because of the travel and the event's position in the calendar, half way between the US Open and the Madrid Masters. On the other hand, if he went there, he would have to skip Grenoble and Mons and wouldalso rule himself out of the Stockholm qualies. I suppose he could still play Szczecin but would he really feel like playing an isolated clay-court tournament at that stage of the season?

I think maybe he would be best to play Grenoble, Mons, Stockholm qualifying, Kolding and Aachen and, depending on how this would affect his game, he should consider Szczecin.

What do others think about this?
Going to Japan would be a real gamble. He could easily lose in the 1st round and blow the whole of his autumn schedule.

Better off to stay in europe and try to win some matches indoors.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
country flag chalkdust

Kundalini, it sounds like we agree on most of this. Do you think he'll play Szezecin? I'm not too sure how well he could do in a clay-courter in between the hard court and indoor seasons but he does claim it is his favourite surface and there are good points available there.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
country flag kundalini

Quote:
Kundalini, it sounds like we agree on most of this. Do you think he'll play Szezecin? I'm not too sure how well he could do in a clay-courter in between the hard court and indoor seasons but he does claim it is his favourite surface and there are good points available there.
Unless something amazing happens at either one of the Masters tournaments or the US Open, he is going to be really struggling for points.

The davis cup match is on clay (I think) - so that would link in. In other circumstances it is not something you would normally recommend but he needs 200 points.

They may decide that top 100 is just not possible for the end of this season. (increasingly it looks that way)

Otherwise I think he'll play any tournament that is available and hope that he can get a lucky draw, win a few matches and may be fight his way into the final.

From what I've seen and heard, indoor hard courts don't particularly suit his game, so the chances are that he'll struggle to pick up the points he needs from those events alone.

Again, it all depends how team Murray sees the near future

- is he going to try to play Australian Open?
- is he looking to play on the main tour next year?
- does he expect to play european clay court season?

Because the way the entry system works, if he wants to compete in these tournaments next year, he needs the points by the end of this year. Qualifying is a nightmare. (especially with his fitness)
Old 08-01-2005, 08:42 AM   #11
country flag chalkdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundalini
The davis cup match is on clay (I think) - so that would link in.
Hmm, I had forgotten about the Davis Cup. It is scheduled for 23-25 September in Geneva. So that rules out Szezecin but, on the other hand, makes it pretty easy to go to Grenoble for the 26th. All in all, his schedule seems to be decided for him this Autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundalini
They may decide that top 100 is just not possible for the end of this season. (increasingly it looks that way)
[Snip]
Again, it all depends how team Murray sees the near future

- is he going to try to play Australian Open?
- is he looking to play on the main tour next year?
- does he expect to play european clay court season?

Because the way the entry system works, if he wants to compete in these tournaments next year, he needs the points by the end of this year. Qualifying is a nightmare. (especially with his fitness)
I don't really look at it like that. He must surely see only one near future: do whatever it takes to improve his ranking until the end of this season; then work on his fitness in November and December; and then carry on with the ranking focus until he gets into the top 50, however many months or years that takes.

How best to improve one's ranking? I think that Challengers are the best way for someone at Murray's stage of development. If one looks at the strength of the field in any Challenger and at the points available and then compares that with almost all ATP events (and absolutely all Masters and Slams), one quickly realises that it is a blessing to miss out on the bigger events. The way the system is set up, once a player starts to qualify for Masters and Slams, he is actually likely to find that his ranking starts to fall because these events are compulsorily included in his ranking and yet a first-round loss is slightly worse than a second-round loss in a Challenger and even a second-round loss is only about as good as reaching a semi-final in a Challenger. Meanwhile, because of the compulsory inclusion in the ranking, you are forcing out some potentially better results in Challengers. Of course, you do get some additional points if you qualify for the bigger events but that process can really interfere with your Challenger performance because of the travel involved.

If you look at the rankings in the 110-150 range, they are full of Europeans and Latin American guys who hardly ever leave home and play thirty clay-court challengers per year and not a single Masters or Slam. These people know what they are doing and Andy has to do this dance for a time while he works on his fitness and his play and picks up some experience. Hopefully, by the time he starts to qualify for Masters and Slams as of right, Andy will be playing well enough to take advantage of that and move upwards rather than slipping back down.

So, take your time Andy, avoid injury, get fitter and stronger, develop your game and experience, get your schedule right, and then the rest will look after itself.

Last edited by chalkdust : 08-01-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #12
country flag kundalini

Quote:
Hmm, I had forgotten about the Davis Cup. It is scheduled for 23-25 September in Geneva. So that rules out Szezecin but, on the other hand, makes it pretty easy to go to Grenoble for the 26th. All in all, his schedule seems to be decided for him this Autumn.

I don't really look at it like that. He must surely see only one near future: do whatever it takes to improve his ranking until the end of this season; then work on his fitness in November and December; and then carry on with the ranking focus until he gets into the top 50, however many months or years that takes.

How best to improve one's ranking? I think that Challengers are the best way for someone at Murray's stage of development. If one looks at the strength of the field in any Challenger and at the points available and then compares that with almost all ATP events (and absolutely all Masters and Slams), one quickly realises that it is a blessing to miss out on the bigger events. The way the system is set up, once a player starts to qualify for Masters and Slams, he is actually likely to find that his ranking starts to fall because these events are compulsorily included in his ranking and yet a first-round loss is slightly worse than a second-round loss in a Challenger and even a second-round loss is only about as good as reaching a semi-final in a Challenger. Meanwhile, because of the compulsory inclusion in the ranking, you are forcing out some potentially better results in Challengers. Of course, you do get some additional points if you qualify for the bigger events but that process can really interfere with your Challenger performance because of the travel involved.

If you look at the rankings in the 110-150 range, they are full of Europeans and Latin American guys who hardly ever leave home and play thirty clay-court challengers per year and not a single Masters or Slam. These people know what they are doing and Andy has to do this dance for a time while he works on his fitness and his play and picks up some experience. Hopefully, by the time he starts to qualify for Masters and Slams as of right, Andy will be playing well enough to take advantage of that and move upwards rather than slipping back down.

So, take your time Andy, avoid injury, get fitter and stronger, develop your game and experience, get your schedule right, and then the rest will look after itself.
Not sure I agree.

I would say Andy should be aiming for top 20 by the end of next season. It may be slightly unrealistic but he has got the tennis to play at that level.

To accomplish this he needs 6 or 7 great tournaments out of 21. A semi of a masters tournament, Grand Slam QF and a few other good results in lesser tournaments.

Right now his fitness is not sufficient, nor is his serve reliable enough. Otherwise he has practically all he needs to be top 30 - top 20.

It is way too easy to get stuck on the challenger circuit or on the lower ranks of the ATP tour.

This season Andy has shown himself that he has enough to play against ATP tour players. Next season he should focus on doing well in tournaments.

If he doesn't aim high, he will face the sort of problems that Alex Bogdanovic and Arvind Palmer are struggling with. Both have ability way beyond their high-ranking positions yet neither shows any sign of breaking into the top 100 in the next year or so.

If you do the basics right, the chances appear - Henman at the French last year for example.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
country flag kundalini

If his aim is to get to 75 in the rankings, then challengers is the route, but if you want to get into the top 30, challengers just don't award enough points.

An approach that suits players of modest ability (relative) is less appropriate for those with the talent to excel.

Of course, if he finds himself losing 1st or 2nd round matches tournament after tournament, he can always drop down to the challenger circuit.

To do well you need to set high standards. We can all name numerous examples of players with extraordinary talent who have achieved little.

If you get into the top 80 or so you are already making very good money, getting lots of media attention (especially in the UK) and all the bonuses that come the way of famous people.

If Andy wants to be top 10 - and from the sounds of things he does - then at some point he has to just do it. To put in the effort required, to grind out results, to fight his way into the later stages of tournaments.

Right now people seem to think it is ok to lose to Dupuis (because the grass was wet and the bounce was erratic), to Nalbandian (because he was inexperienced and lacking fitness), to Fish (because Fish was once ranked 19 in the world), to Carraz (no idea why)

But these were awful results (with the exception of Nalbandian - which was awful execution of a match he could have won)

If this carries on much longer Andy is going to struggle. He needs to learn fast.

Last edited by kundalini : 08-01-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
country flag chalkdust

OK, I do agree with all of this, Kundalini. In particular, he has lost some matches recently that he ought to have won. Unfortunately, I have not seen him play since Wimbledon so I can't really tell what has happened to him in these matches and the press coverage is minimal, with no trustworthy analysis that I have seen.

Carraz was definitely very disappointing. It can't have been a fitness issue as Andy can surely manage two hard-court sets at 24 Celsius. I've never seen Carraz but his highest ranking has been around 120. All you can say is that he is very experienced and that hard courts are his favourite surface.

Andy was also very lucky in Aptos with the way all the best players lost before he was due to meet them.

Anyway, I agree he should aim high, it's just that top-100 by year-end is already looking very tough as you acknowledge. And even if he got there, it would still be hard for him to qualify for the best European clay-court events, which have smallish fields. Because of this, I'm just saying that he will be forced to play Challengers whether he likes it or not so he needs to take best advantage of that. I've tried to look at the positive side in terms of the potential for ranking points from such tournaments.

On the other hand, there is also the facet that you have focused on. Andy must perform to his potential and use the off-season to get fit if he is going to climb out of the mud of the Challenger circuit.

Edit: Oh and I agree that Indian Wells and Miami are really important - he must get into these tournaments and win a few matches. And I agree with your latest edit! Andy should definitely not grow too accustomed to the Challenger circuit.

Last edited by chalkdust : 08-01-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #15

I think the only chance of playing an Europe clay court MS is Monte Carlo. About 4 americans will pull out LH, and lots more.

All youngsters