The Filippo Volandri cheering thread - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #826
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Filippo Volandri cheering thread

Pippo lost at Rome in R2 to Wawrinka 1-6 6-3 2-6, and then lost in R1 to Dolgopolov in Nice 5-7 3-6. Had opportunities in both matches, but both players are true clay courters, and are a level above Pippo at this point.

So, Filippo goes into RG with a 7-10 ATP record, and is ranked #74. Given the way the season started, I'm happy so far with his results. He defends 80 points from winning a challenger in Rome the second week of RG last year, and then little until August, so he has the opportunity to get near the top 50 these next few months with good results. Most importantly if he keeps around the same standard he's been at so far this year, he should stay top 100 the entire season, which would be a good accomplishment.

Hopefully he has a great week of training and can win some matches at the French
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #827
country flag Champion number 1

Champion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the draw at RG is kind and he can try to reach R3.

Especially Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Champion number 1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #828

Champion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Filo has got a good R1 draw against the old timer Clement. R2 will be more difficult, but out of the seeds that he could play, Raonic is quite beatable on a good day.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 05-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #829
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

He got a nice draw. Definitely two winnable matches. Raonic/Berrer are not clay courters and aren't great returners, so Filo's serve will not be so vulnerable. Of course, Clement is on the downside of his career and struggling physically as well, so that is a must-win for Pippo.

I'll be satisfied with one win but I expect two from him and a match v Murray. The best part is that he should be on main courts at least for his R1 match.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #830

Disappointing for Pippo to go out in R1 to Clement. I thought he really could have made R3 here. He was 4-1 up with 2 breaks of serves in the 3rd and lost the set in a tie-break and that really killed him.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #831

Pippo lost in R2 to Schukin at Prostejov. Seems he is either in bad form again, or he tanked/fixed that match.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #832
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Supposedly he was sick and tanked.

He's playing in Holland this week on grass in S'Hertogenbosch. He won his first round over Ricardo Mello 6-4 7-6(5). Only lost serve twice and hit 4 aces. Obviously every win he gets off clay is a bonus, so it's good that he took advantage of the draw and won this match.

He plays the winner of Chardy and Bogomolov in R2.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #833

Yeah happy just to see him win that first round match. Any grass win is a shocker for him Lost to Bogomolov in R2 so Wimbledon next. Hopefully another kind draw there which can help him reach R2.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #834
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

There are quite a few players who Pippo would like to qualify, but he himself will be someone most will want to qualify. Hopefully he can get a soft draw and win a match at Wimbledon.

After Wimbledon he's playing Turin challenger so he'll be back on the clay and in Italy in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #835
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Pippo drew last years' finalist Berdych in R1, so unfortunately we'll be seeing a quick exit for Pippo at Wimbledon barring a retirement from Tomas. Only positive is that he'll be on a TV court and he will have extra preparation for Turin on clay.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #836
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... This won't be pretty.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #837
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Pippo lost 2-6 2-6 1-6.

He played slightly better than I expected, but obviously it wasn't anywhere near good enough. Now he has a full week to rest and recover, and start training on clay to get ready for Turin.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #838

I was on court 1 to see Pippo. There is no point of him ever playing at Wimbledon really, but that said, he did do ok for what he offers on the surface and probably should have won a couple more games than he did in the end. Of course to be any sort of a reasonably player on grass you need more weapons, something Pippo doesnt have. Such a great backhand though, it was good to compare his backhand to another great backhand in the flesh as I also saw Gasquet on Court 18 just before I went to watch Pippo.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #839
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Yes, unfortunately Pippo doesn't hit the ball with enough pace and doesn't have the serve to be a factor on other surfaces. Also his great clay movement doesn't translate off clay and he mistimes balls a lot because the courts are too quick. At least he did give his best in the match and took 5 games against one of the best grass players.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #840

He won his first round of Turin quite comfortably against promising young Janowicz. Good start to the week.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco