The Filippo Volandri cheering thread - Page 55 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #811
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Filippo Volandri cheering thread

It was a pretty shaky performance at times from Pippo, but he played very well at the end of the third. His tennis isn't where it should be this week, potentially due to fatigue, but he's fighting hard and he's got a kind draw still, as he plays Granollers in the QF. An opportunity for an ATP SF, would be a great accomplishment for Pippo. In either case, this week has been very productive for him.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #812
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
It was a pretty shaky performance at times from Pippo, but he played very well at the end of the third. His tennis isn't where it should be this week, potentially due to fatigue, but he's fighting hard and he's got a kind draw still, as he plays Granollers in the QF. An opportunity for an ATP SF, would be a great accomplishment for Pippo. In either case, this week has been very productive for him.
I didn't think he looked too tired out there, just wildly inconsistent. He needs to get his head together and focus for the entire match if he wants a shot at beating Marcel. Bursts of 3 good games won't do it against a real claycourter.

Hard to believe Pippo hasn't been in an ATP QF for 3 years, so even this is a milestone. I'm proud that he's persevered though and consistently risen through the rankings since his comeback, even if it's been a long and slow journey. And yes, if he wins this match he should definitely withdraw from Madrid and get some rest.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #813
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Filo fought himself back from the knee injury and confidence crisis he had in 2008 and went W, W, SF in 3 straight Italian challengers to get back into the top 100. And then he had that all taken away from him with the drug suspension after having an asthma attack and getting treatment. It's just been a grind these last 3-4 years for Pippo. He's older now, and the truth of the matter is, he's no longer a decent ATP player. He's average at best. The age, injuries, and time off has caught up to him and the game has passed him to a certain extent. So we just have to take the good with the bad as fans, and he's just got to continue with the focus and with fighting his hardest match in and out. This year he's generally done good at that and he's starting to reap the benefits.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #814
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Filo fought himself back from the knee injury and confidence crisis he had in 2008 and went W, W, SF in 3 straight Italian challengers to get back into the top 100. And then he had that all taken away from him with the drug suspension after having an asthma attack and getting treatment. It's just been a grind these last 3-4 years for Pippo. He's older now, and the truth of the matter is, he's no longer a decent ATP player. He's average at best. The age, injuries, and time off has caught up to him and the game has passed him to a certain extent. So we just have to take the good with the bad as fans, and he's just got to continue with the focus and with fighting his hardest match in and out. This year he's generally done good at that and he's starting to reap the benefits.
Yes Filo V, this much we know, but do you really believe the game has passed him by? I mean, I think we can all admit he was getting in over his head when he made the top 30 anyway. I still think he has some better form left in him though, it's not all bad news. The good signs for me are that he's moving better than he was 2 years ago with the knee problems and his strokes don't lack bite. It's just a shame that he can only play on dirt because when his form doesn't compliment that time of the season, he's pretty much relegated to the lower reaches of the top 100.

He needs to make the most of the South American clay swing, and he failed to do so this year. We're at another crucial moment in the season right now though, it would be great news if he could take out Granollers.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #815
country flag VolandriFan

Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #816
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

ATP SF!!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #817
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

6-2 6-4 win over Granollers today. He didn't get broken in the match! I've noticed all year, he has a bit more juice on the serve than before. He played consistently and hit some great BH's throughout the match! Very good performance, first SF since February 2008

I do think the game has passed him by to a certain extent. By that I mean, I don't expect to see Pippo being a top 10 clay court player again, which by statistics, he was for a period in the mid-2000s. I don't think he has the same consistency, and his shots are regaining bite now, but were lacking it previously. His movement and footwork have sharpened up and while not quite as good as before, it's back to a high level again. I think most of it is probably confidence, so we'll see if this week helps him in that aspect in future weeks.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #818
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Tennis is so much more power based now than it was 5 years ago even. Pippo struggles handling that power, which he didn't previously. But the three opponents he's had this week, don't have great power. So he can maneuver them around, be consistent, wait for openings and then attack, and he's not the one being put on the defensive. I think the tough win yesterday really helped him today, and hopefully it can help him tomorrow as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #819
country flag Champion number 1

Champion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wild Card for Rome Masters. Lets hope his past glories there gives him a chance to go far.

Especially Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Champion number 1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #820
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Pippo lost 6-7(3) 3-6 to Lopez last week in Belgrade in the SF, but it was a great week. After a week off, he should be rested for a great event in Rome. The points from Rome already came off so he doesn't have that pressure to deal with, so hopefully he can put together a good week there.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #821

Champion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond reputeChampion number 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah he stayed at 80 so any points in Rome is a bonus.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #822
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Pippo plays De Bakker in R1 of Roma Masters. A great opportunity for a victory, and basically a must win match given the situation of playing in Italy and how he loves this event. Should he win, he would play the winner of Wawrinka-Fognini, so he has the opportunity to make R3 here and equal his result from last year. Hopefully he gets the job done.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #823

He would be disappointed not to win even if De Bakker is a tough player.

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco
Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #824
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Pippo won 6-1 6-2! Great serving, won around 70% of service points, didn't get broken, serve percentage 80%. Reportedly De Bakker tanked the match, but a win is a win for Pippo and the fact it's an easy one situates him well for his R2 match.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #825

Easy win and R2 it is The Fog (would be a great match for the Italian fans and a certain R3 for Italy) or Wawrinka who is beatable for Pippo in Foro Italico

Juan Martin Del Potro

Roger Federer

Thomas Berdych

Fernando Verdasco