Are players paid in davis cup? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 AM   #16
country flag uNIVERSE mAN

uNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond reputeuNIVERSE mAN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are players paid in davis cup?

I'm sure the ITF is quite happy to make money from the DC.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 AM   #17
country flag margaret_gn

margaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond reputemargaret_gn has a reputation beyond repute

try and look at it from a lower-ranked player's perspective...

they probably don't earn much from tournament prize-money etc to cover travel expenses, and they'd feel obliged to play if their country doesn't have a lot of top-ranked guys. they'd probably rather not get paid, but they do need the money to make their way back to the country in which the tie takes place and pay for accomodation as well (or is accomodation provided?).

& jurgenMELZER & jarkkoNIEMINEN & michaelRYDERSTEDT & tomasBERDYCH & richardGASQUET & robinSODERLING
tennis photos from 2008
tennis photos pre 2008
tennis reports
margaret_gn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:19 AM   #18
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the federations make money selling tickets to DC ties. Since most players are professionals and they are not playing a charity event, why shouldn't they got paid? If they should not get paid for playing for the countries, are you also saying the soldiers should not get paid for defending their countries too?

And for top 50 players shouldn't get paid because they make good prize money: are you saying we should discriminate against players that are actually good in what they are doing?
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 AM   #19
country flag vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccola_romana
sorry i don't think that play in davis cup (who many matches in a year could play? ten?) is "work". if you accept to play for your country, you play for free. if not, no one asks you to play. at least in the big nations. obviously this is my personal opinion expressed in a bad english...i suppose!

lol of course they are paid, and the players from major countries are paid a LOT by their national federations for this. The players are professionals and they give up big opportunities for ranking points and money to play Davis Cup. It's normal for them to be compensated.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #20
country flag BigboyDan

BigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they get paid - they're professionals.
BigboyDan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #21
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't really playing for their country but rather for the ITF and the national federations. Those entities make money from the Davis Cup. Why shouldn't the players do the same?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #22
country flag piccola_romana

piccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond reputepiccola_romana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly
And do you think footballers should play for Italy in the World Cup for free? If not, what do you think is the difference between a professional tennis player and a professional footballer?
first of all footballers players paly a lot more than tennis players fro their country.
but i think that if national federation pays for hotels, travels, food and drink, press conference, tv rights, chewing gum, paper toilet and whatever more, maybe should not pay players.

but i know my speech is a dream...i know that money make the world go on...

And you? What kind of Safin supporter are you? Discover it! http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=63951

Marat Safin Mikhail Youzhny Nikolay Davydenko Igor Andreev Dmitry Tursunov

SEE MY PICTURES HERE!

.....Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head
The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've seen enough I'm not giving up
On a miracle drug.....
piccola_romana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #23
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem with the players getting paid to play DC. I would hope, however, that it is not their motivation and that they see it as an honor and a privilege rather than an obligation.