Tactics that work against Fed - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
country flag wimbledonfan

wimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tactics that work against Fed

I have been analyzing Federers matches at the u.s open so far and noticed a few things that may be pertinent . I am studying statistics so of course most of my findings are based on numbers on what works well and what doesn't . From what I observed with his match against Kiefer ,Federer doesn't like it when you slice the ball low as he does so often against his opponents . Why does Federer continue to slice the ball , maybe it's because he knows it's a shot that would be tricky if it were executed against him. It's the same reason why someone decides he wants to be a serve and volleyer , he prefers playing at the net rather than staying back . When you slice the ball very low like a steffi Graf slicer it prevents someone like Fed to rip an easy winner on his next shot . I noticed Agassi used the slice shot effectively throughout his match , especially on his first and second serves . It is also important to note that Agassis first serve in the second set was around 40 % and relied heavily on his second serve slice shot . Federer prefers a fast pace serve so he can chip it back , slice serves to the body are more tricky for him , as he has to do something more with the serve . In Hewitts last few matches with Federer , he has learned to use the slice shot more effectively and often cuts the point short by charging to the net . Another thing I noticed is that when Kiefer playes Federer , he often hits his shots to the centre of the court and deep . When other players play Fed , they go for too much by trying to hit the lines and making him run . If you watched his match against santoro you'll notice how often he would win points by using both forehand and backhand slice shots . So if I were playing Fed , I would do the following :

1) use slice serves to the body but mix it up for obvious reasons

2) slice the ball low and deep to the centre of the court

3) mix up the pace of your shots , like what Fed does to all his opponents .
wimbledonfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
country flag 1sun

1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tactics that work against Fed

blah blah blah, you could have the best tactics in the world to beat fed, but putting them into practise is a totaly different thing.
considering who you are, play the best match of your life and you will win, federer isnt unbeatable.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sun
federer isnt unbeatable.
What's wrong you admitted that blasphemous comment above?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
country flag Galaxystorm

Galaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond repute

The few things that make Federer suffer is when he has to hit very high balls with his backhand, and due to this reason Nadal's topspin forehand hurts Federer a lot . In fact Nadal is the guy in the circuit with more chances to beat Federer since when Federer faces Nadal Roger has a lot of problems to play the way he usually does.
Galaxystorm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
country flag virex

virex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond reputevirex has a reputation beyond repute

some of the players who defeated federer in this last year, have better shots coming from their left side... safin, guga and gasquet´s BH... and nadal´s FH
virex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #6

wimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond reputewimbledonfan has a reputation beyond repute

On a faster court , Nadals top spin shot won't pose as much of a problem for Federer as the balls don't bounce up as high and it can be countered by playing the net and taking the play early from him . Federer knows that the next time he faces Nadal he will have to serve and volley his way like he did in the last 3 sets of the miami finals . On clay however this tactic backfires.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
country flag Galaxystorm

Galaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond reputeGalaxystorm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimbledonfan
On a faster court , Nadals top spin shot won't pose as much of a problem for Federer as the balls don't bounce up as high and it can be countered by playing the net and taking the play early from him . Federer knows that the next time he faces Nadal he will have to serve and volley his way like he did in the last 3 sets of the miami finals . On clay however this tactic backfires.
The matter is hard court is also a faster court according to your definition ?? On grass or capert i agree with you, but on a lot of hard courts Nadal's topspin still makes the ball bounce high
Old 09-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nadal could beat Federer on Rebound Ace and I have a feeling Ginepri could go deep in the AO with his agressive topspin baseline game.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #9

I agree with you Grinder , I think Nadal will win the australian open next year .
Old 09-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
country flag Galaxystorm

Among all the hard courts, rebound ace is the best for Nadal . I think next year he will do great things in Melbourne and will be one of the main favorites , but i also think it's too early to say if he will win Aus open cuz we are still in September.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #11

If you notice when Nadal plays Federer , he returns deep to the centre of the court and with plenty of success . It is fair to say that Federer struggles just a bit on his service games against Nadal . Short return balls is a recipe for disaster .
Old 09-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

haven't people discussed such things before?? no doubt AO06 will be one of Rafa's top priorities.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #13
propi

propi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond repute

Break his leg and chop his head... make sure you burn his body, eat his heart and throw his ashes to the Black Sea in a full moon night
Old 09-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sun
blah blah blah, you could have the best tactics in the world to beat fed, but putting them into practise is a totaly different thing.
considering who you are, play the best match of your life and you will win, federer isnt unbeatable.
heretic. you should be burned alive

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

tactics-----------what tactics??????????????

they dont exist when playing him...........
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote