Breaking AFL report (you're reading it here first) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breaking AFL report (you're reading it here first)

Re: The Sydney Swans v Geelong Cats AFL elimination final played at the SCG on the 9th August 2005.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the Sydney Swans AFL side scored an emphatic victory last week, breaking the Geelong Cats' hearts with Nick Davis kicking the winning goal only seconds before the final siren sounded. Those of you who watched the game, may remember the passage of play from which Davis snared his miracle goal - a vital element of which was overlooked by everyone in the country, bar a few people with insider knowledge.

The ball was locked up in a tackle around 20m out from Sydney's goal. The umpire then threw it up in the air, with Jason Ball winning the hitout knocking it towards the swans goal, resulting in the consequent crumbing by Davis - which will be remembered by many for a long time to come.

The query with the play, is - why the ball was thrown up in the air? Isn't it normally bounced when there is a stoppage in the field of play? Well, it isn't when the ground is wet; the ground was wet on the night of the match, but not completely soaked. One may ask - why the umpire at one end of the ground was bouncing the ball, while at the other, it was thrown up in the air.

The answer could be classified as being rather conspicuous, but I have information from a reliable source (the father of one of the other umpires in that same match) who claims that that particular umpire has a back problem, which doesn't allow him to bend over to bounce the ball properly - hence, why he resorted to the throw. You may then ask why he umpired in the first place - well, it is every players dream to participate in the finals which often results in players ignoring pain and possibly not resting injuries when required, and the same goes for the umpires. Nothing short of whistleblowing by a few close colleagues would have prevented the umpire from ajudicating in this match. The umpire in question still had the ability to run, and he is obviously regarded as a fair umpire - which is why he was selected in the first place.

What difference would a bounce have made instead of a throw? Of course, Sydney could have scored a goal regardless, but, this would have been a much less likely outcome. Geelong lost their premier ruckman in Steven King half way through the match, while the Swans' ruckman Jason Ball is an experienced journeyman who has been around for over a decade at the top level of the sport. This gave the edge to Sydney regardless, but even more so considering the reduction of variables - due to a throw-up instead of a bounce down.

The variables are far more unpredictable in a bounce than a throw. An Aussie Rules ball is not round, and it is quite hard to bounce so that it comes up perpendicular to the ground - which is the stipulated aim of each such action. A bounce, also takes longer before the ball comes into contact with either of the ruckman. Considering there were only seconds left, the throw-up gave the obvious advantage to the Swans, and they took their chance, and are now into the Grand Final.

If the ball was bounced down, as it should have been, the most likely outcome would have been the formation of a ruck, with 4-10 desperate players scrapping for the ball. The most likely outcome? The Cats would have been through to the preliminary final against St Kilda.

The moral of the story? There isn't really one, except that you have to take the good with the bad - such is the nature of sport.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
country flag Fi-Fi

Fi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking AFL report (you're reading it here first)

in that case an article about the bad umpiring in the swans eagles game should also be posted...if THAT had been umpired PROPERLY west coast wouldnt have had the week off, the swans would have
Old 09-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi-Fi
in that case an article about the bad umpiring in the swans eagles game should also be posted...if THAT had been umpired PROPERLY west coast wouldnt have had the week off, the swans would have
I never said that Geelong should have won.

Ok, and with the Swans, did you watch the match? Who is to say that the free kick would have resulted in a goal anyhow? And the rest of the match would have been different from that point - refer to the butterfly effect.

I know the NSW media have been pumping Sydneysiders full of all this crap, Bad Gambler has exactly the same opinion as you. Do you want me to say Sydney was hard done by? I can't.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
country flag Fi-Fi

Fi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond reputeFi-Fi has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i did watch the match but who cares anyway we'll never agree on this anyway seeing as we support opposing teams not only for that match but for the grand final too

and i can understand why u cant say the swans were hard done by...what kind of fan would that make u?

so anyway, im really stubborn and refuse to change my mind when i believe something so there no point in fighting about it
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
bad gambler

Fact is Eagles got a free kick and Stenglein goaled when they were down by 9 points. Umps admitted the mistake after the game.

Regardless, both teams have now made it to the last Saturday in September, so no more home umpire biases, may the best team win
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi-Fi
yeah i did watch the match but who cares anyway we'll never agree on this anyway seeing as we support opposing teams not only for that match but for the grand final too

and i can understand why u cant say the swans were hard done by...what kind of fan would that make u?

so anyway, im really stubborn and refuse to change my mind when i believe something so there no point in fighting about it
It's not like I'm using double standards here.

The Swans won against Geelong, and the Eagles against the Swans.

I'm not doubting either of those results - but there were questionable moments in each of those 2 games, as there are in other games, and other sports. Do you remember the 2001 semi final at the US Open between Roddick and Hewitt? Roddick got a bad call in the final game - and he lost. Again, would it have made a difference? Who knows... Sport is sport, you take the good with the bad.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler
Fact is Eagles got a free kick and Stenglein goaled when they were down by 9 points. Umps admitted the mistake after the game.

Regardless, both teams have now made it to the last Saturday in September, so no more home umpire biases, may the best team win
Yes, that is a fact.

Who's to say Eagles or Swans wouldn't have won by 5 goals had that decision gone the other way?

Nobody, that path remains unwritten.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

OMG it's all playing with my head too much!!! I can't cope with AFL anymore this year coz it's gonna make me cry all over again... I already nearly put a fist though every wall in the house after the semi

All I can say is, thank goodness England won the Ashes or my week would have been really depressing.
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peta Pan
OMG it's all playing with my head too much!!! I can't cope with AFL anymore this year coz it's gonna make me cry all over again... I already nearly put a fist though every wall in the house after the semi

All I can say is, thank goodness England won the Ashes or my week would have been really depressing.

I have 2 requests.

1. change your avatar to one of the more amiable english cricketers - flintoff, pietersen...

2. why do you support england?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that
1. change your avatar to one of the more amiable english cricketers - flintoff, pietersen...
Knock my Michael and I'll change the goodrep I gave you to a bad one

Michael is a lovely, friendly and good (and hot) person... and I won't hear a bad word against him

Quote:
2. why do you support england?
Because the Australian team are arrogant pricks I've supported them since 1997... and most of my family is English and I've got dual citizenship so it's allowed
Old 09-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Peta...we need another Ashes ASAP. Remember...weeks ago when the world revolved around the Brits and their winning ways (double tape!!), and you actually seemed disinterested in AFL because of planty's efforts!? *sigh* those were the days!! Seems so long ago

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkman_Girl
Peta...we need another Ashes ASAP. Remember...weeks ago when the world revolved around the Brits and their winning ways (double tape!!), and you actually seemed disinterested in AFL because of planty's efforts!? *sigh* those were the days!! Seems so long ago
LMAO, well I was never totally disinterested... but my passion did turn more so to the cricket

Oh and for the uneducated, Planty is actually Kristen/Peta code for Vaughan
Old 09-18-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LMAO, well I was never totally disinterested... but my passion did turn more so to the cricket

Oh and for the uneducated, Planty is actually Kristen/Peta code for Vaughan
If you want a new avatar for a change here is one you might like.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
Banned!

Quote:
Knock my Michael and I'll change the goodrep I gave you to a bad one

Michael is a lovely, friendly and good (and hot) person... and I won't hear a bad word against him

Because the Australian team are arrogant pricks I've supported them since 1997... and most of my family is English and I've got dual citizenship so it's allowed
the guy reminds me so much of Henman, and Henman ain't cool... neither is Vaughan.

Freddy is the coolest guy on the team.

PS. do you have a pommy accent? they're sexy...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that
the guy reminds me so much of Henman, and Henman ain't cool... neither is Vaughan.

Freddy is the coolest guy on the team.

PS. do you have a pommy accent? they're sexy...
Harmison and Simon Jones are cool and Vaughan is alright, he is much better than Saddam.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote