New Game Request: SUICIDE TENNIS! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Cool New Game Request: SUICIDE TENNIS!

I don't know where exactly to post this but Gravity suggested I float it around to see if anyone would be interested in playing this so here it is:

I saw this on the si.com site and thought it would make a great addition to the Games section here, and we could bet vcash on it too which would make it even more fun.

Basically, you chose a player every day who you think will advance. The catch: You can only use each player once. So if you'd picked, say, Kim Clijsters, in day one, you'd be in trouble.

Here's the "official" description from the original site:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/TAT_...oard=suicideuso

Suicide pools are a very simple concept that test your ability not only to pick a winner, but to project your winner through the ups and downs of a draw. You'll also have to know what players can easily win an early round match for you, but can be counted on (at least by yourself) to falter as you go through the 14 days of a Slam.

For each day of play, you have to pick 1 - yes, just one - winner each for the Men's side and one for the Women's side. That is out of all the matches played that day.

But, once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So you really don't want to pick a Federer to win in early matches.

To survive in the suicide pool, you will have to have gone through 14 successive days of picking a winner. Sure it may sound easy (and probably will be) on the first few days of play - but as you get deeper into the draws, you have to start picking based on not only who you think will win, but who is likely to lose down the road. And remember, if you are still alive come semi-final time, you are not only picking who you think would win a semi, but also who would lose the final, since you could not pick the same player again.

Picks will begin with the release of the Order of Play for Day 1 - you will have until play begins on Day 1 to make your selection. Subsequently, you can pick your Day 2 winner as soon as the Day 2 order of play is announced, and so on.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Game Request: SUICIDE TENNIS!

I would be interested!
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
country flag I<3Lindsay

I<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeI<3Lindsay has a reputation beyond repute

sounds interesting! I have a question though:

Say i pick, umm... Murray to win in round 1, and he wins, so i keep picking right?
What if i pick like Blake to win round 2 and he loses? Am i out for the whole tournament? Just on the men's side? Can i keep picking???

And when you say 14 days, do you mean that this will only be done for grand slams???
I<3Lindsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
country flag SwissMister1

SwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would try it out. I did one of these things for the NFL last year, it is fun.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

PAW #1 5/22/06
Predict-the-SCORE US Open Champion
SwissMister1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i read about that in wertheim's column, sounds like fun.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

hrmmm... ok, let's see it in action, if it's any good, I shall spread the word.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Whoo! It got it's own thread. I guess people like the idea.

Now we just need to figure out how to start it. I'm still trying to find more information about it. Apparently it's played only during slams but maybe we could do it during the masters, too. Did anybody check out the link I posted?
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't checked that link, I'll do it later. I have a question, when you said masters you mean TMC or any masters series? We cannot play this game only 5 times a year.

Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 AM   #9
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
Whoo! It got it's own thread. I guess people like the idea.

Now we just need to figure out how to start it. I'm still trying to find more information about it. Apparently it's played only during slams but maybe we could do it during the masters, too. Did anybody check out the link I posted?
from what i understand of how it works i don't see why it couldn't work with any tournament. when this gets up and running i'd love to play.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
country flag Ferrero Forever

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute

this sounds really good. I'd like to play

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Fun do it
Old 09-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
Last dance, Andy

IheartDavenport, yes, if you pick a player who wins, then you are still in the game and can keep picking. But you can’t pick the same player again once you’ve used him.
If you pick a player and he loses, then you are out of the game.
If you make it to the semis and find that both semifinalists are players that you’ve already picked, then you are out of the game.

I think this game could also work for tournaments other than slams. I am thinking of trying it out during one of the upcoming masters series events instead of waiting for AO. This game is new to me too so I think we can take some liberties with this game and make any amendments to it that would be make it better. I’m open to suggestions.

Using the current rules set forth, to see exactly how one would play this game, let’s choose last year’s Basel tournament as an example:

The first round of 32 was played out over two days. The picks are made PER DAY not per round. So on the first day, we would pick one player from the top half of the draw and then on the next day we would pick one player from the bottom half of the draw.

Davidoff Swiss Indoors Basel

This is the top half of the draw for day one. I will pick Dent:

DAY ONE MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Novak - Mayer
Robredo - Wawrinka
Srichaphan - Koubek
Ulihrach - Horna
Heuberger - Dent
Gaudio - Norman
Zabaleta – Hanescu
This is the bottom half of the draw on day two. I decide to pick Nadal:
DAY TWO MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Kratochvil - Massu
Nalbandian - Ancic
Volandri - Spadea
Montanes - Chiudinelli
Nadal - Schuettler
Gonzalez - Haehnel
Chela - Ljubicic
Starace - Moodie
Henman – Dupuis
Now I am already in trouble because the results came in and Nadal crashed out, beaten by Schuettler. Dent won his match but it doesn’t matter because my other pick went down. So I would be out of the game.

Instead of choosing Nadal, say I decide to play Nalbandian instead:
DAY TWO MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Kratochvil - Massu
Nalbandian - Ancic
Volandri - Spadea
Montanes - Chiudinelli
Nadal - Schuettler
Gonzalez - Haehnel
Chela - Ljubicic
Starace - Moodie
Henman – Dupuis
Now I am still in the game because the results came in and both Dent and Nalbandian made it through their first round. But I cannot pick either one of these players again. Choosing Nalbandian early on may end up being trouble for me down the line though…

For my next pick on Day Three, I decide to go with Novak:
DAY THREE MATCHES – ROUND of 16
Heuberger - Ulihrach
Gaudio - Koubek
Nalbandian - Spadea
Schuettler - Chiudinelli
Massu - Zabaleta
Ljubicic - Haehnel
Robredo - Novak
Moodie - Henman
The results come in and Novak has won his match. Yippee! I’m still in the game.

For Day Four, I choose Koubek:
DAY FOUR MATCHES – QUARTERFINALS
Ljubicic – Koubek
Zabaleta - Ulihrach
Henman - Novak
Nalbandian - Schuettler
Results come in and I am dancing like a banana because Koubek won and I am still alive. But now I’m getting concerned because my earlier picks have also made it through their matches and I’m running out of players to pick.

Ugh! Day Five and three of my prior picks made it this far. I have no choice but to go for Massu. Whether he wins or not it doesn’t matter, I will be out of the game before the finals because I will have no one left to pick.
DAY FIVE MATCHES – SEMIFINALS
Koubek - Novak
Massu – Nalbandian
Now if I had chosen a lower-ranked dark horse player in the earlier rounds, I could’ve saved my Nalbandian or Novak pick for a later round and for what was eventually the final.
DAY SIX MATCHES – FINAL
Nalbandian – Novak

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 09-22-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #13
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

good game tangy..
id play it!
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
country flag nokidding

nokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond reputenokidding has a reputation beyond repute

It seems fun ! I guess we'll need time to adjust to the rules but I want to play
nokidding is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
country flag mandoura

mandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond repute

Can I play too? Sounds like fun.
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote