Novak News!! - Page 215 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #3211
country flag mayagaller

mayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
And the good thing is that people are starting to believe in him again...
And what's een more important, it looks like he's starting to believe in himself.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #3212
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe my eyes. Pete Bodo is actually praising Novak in his last two articles... Bandwagoner!

Out of Remission 09/16/2010 - 10:16 AM
by Pete Bodo

So you think Andy Roddick has had it tough, being denied an almost certain Wimbledon title and pehaps another U.S. Open championship as well. Well, it might be cold comfort but consider the plight of Novak Djokovic. Like Roddick, he's been stuck and spinning his wheels with one major title to his name (Australia 2008). But unlike Roddick, Djokovic is an all-purpose—or, all-surface—threat whose next Grand Slam title is just as likely to be captured on the red clay of Paris as on the verdant lawn at Wimbledon.

The just completed U.S. Open final accurately framed his dilemma; he wants to win, he's ready to win, but then...up pops Roger Federer. And if it's not Federer, it's Rafael Nadal, who's more of a contemporary of Djokovic's than of Roddick's. Roddick had one iconic player with whom to grapple even under the conditions most favorable to his game; Djokovic has two.

I'm not sure that, until the early stages of the fourth set on Monday, I've ever seen a Grand Slam loser play as boldy and courageously as Djokovic did against Nadal (well, there was that Federer-Roddick final at a Rafa-less Wimbledon in 2009...) Nor have I seen a truly great effort buried so deeply under the volumes of earned praise heaped upon the victor. Sorry, Novak, wrong place, wrong time. If it's any consolation, Roddick and Andy Murray often experience much the same problem.

Still... Everything was working for Nadal in the final. He's never played better on his least favorite surface, and were not for a newly developed serving superiority he still might have been in trouble. That's because Djokovic played remarkably positive tennis. And the adjective is the operative word for our purposes.

The narrative that emerged over the past few years has cast Djokovic—the ultra-talented, curiously personable Serb (has anyone from his part of the world seemed simultaneously so "exotic" and so familiar to us?)—as a perpetual semifinalist or quarterfinalist at the majors. The guy who, having already earned national hero status in his homeland, could certainly pick up the odd Masters 1000 title here and there. But he was soft at the majors. Sometimes, he seemed too preoccupied with entertaining the crowd and acting as an unofficial ambassador for his nation to pose a serious threat to Federer or Nadal.

But let's remember, 2009 U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro is the only man other than Djokovic to have won a major since Djokovic first played one (Australian Open 2005). It's a mind-boggling statistic, and enough to tempt any player to fling up his hands and say, To hell with it, I'm just going to have a good time and pick off whatever low-hanging fruit comes my way. I'm serious when I say that Federer and Nadal may have inadvertently ruined any number of otherwise impressive men. After you spend a few years in chains, you might find their rattle musical.

But on the floor of Arthur Ashe Stadium the other night, Djokovic suggested that he wants to cast off those shackles. He often outmatched Nadal in force of shot, and he managed to look—accurately—as a man both confident and fighting for his life. At times, the grunt accompanying his swing was almost otherworldly, more evocative of a death rattle or cry of anguish than the pleasantly guttural exclamation of a guy doing his job with complete attention and effort. More than once, he loaded up and tagged that forehand in a manner that made me think, Surely, this is the last tennis shot this guy will ever hit, and he's determined to go down in a blaze of glory and self-destructive abandon.

Yet those balls continually fell inside the lines. Djokovic made Nadal's life very uncomfortable for three-plus sets at the National Tennis Center.

You could put this heroic, almost Wagnerian degree of effort expended by Djokovic down to desperation. That extra day of rest he earned via the postponement of the final because of rain on Sunday was a godsend. But it's all relative. As many players have shown, the effects of a tough, emotional five-setter in New York aren't wiped away in fewer than 48 hours (just think about Fernando Verdasco, playing his semifinal against Nadal). Djokovic insisted after the final that he felt fine, physically, but I suspect that after the win over Federer, his emotions took charge and demanded that his body—the corporeal realities—stay out of it. But they never do. He was, in my view, more tired than he knew, but men are capable of doing extraordinary things when properly motivated.

I wrote yesterday about Nadal's forehand. But in the final, Djokovic hit one more winner (he had 22) off that wing than did Nadal. Nadal hit 12 backhand winners, to Djokovic's 9, giving Nadal a slight edge in the winner count (49 to 45). The key statistic was unforced errors: Djokovic had 47, Nadal just 32. So Nadal finished with a +18 net in the error-to-winner ratio, while Djokovic ended up -2. But the most important thing this tells you is that Djokovic was more inclined to swing for the winners.

The most startling element in the match was the way Djokovic played when he found himself in a do-or-die situation. He converted three out of the only four break points he held—a tribute to his courage as well as to Nadal's talent for taking care of his serve. Nadal, by contrast, converted a dismal six of 26 break points. But nobody who watched the match would call Nadal to the carpet for that 23 percent break-point conversion rate. Djokovic played so well with his back to the wall that Nadal was moved to joke about the trouble he experienced breaking serve.

"In the statistics of the ATP I was No. 1 in break points converted," Nadal said, grinning. "So I think after this tournament I don't want to [he meant "won't"] be No. 1 on the break points converted."

All this must have been a bitter potion for Djokovic to digest, but he took it like a man. The good news is that in the latter stages of the tournament, Djokovic played anything like the perpetual semifinalist. I had to ask him if he felt as if he reinvented himself. He replied: "I've played the best tennis certainly in the last seven, eight months, maybe the whole year... I feel much more comfortable on the court, more confident, and getting this aggressive game back, the game I need to have in order to stay at the top, and a game that has been a part of me, always."

A part of him, yes, but sometimes in remission. It was nice to see it back.

The Radical Conventional 09/15/2010 - 12:33 PM
by Pete Bodo

Mornin'. I'm coming off eight hours sleep for the first time in weeks, so watch out, keyboard! Ha. Seriously, though, a regular night's sleep in the cool, tangy country air is tonic for the soul and mind. And I find it helps me think clearly and maybe get a little further under the skin of things, including the huge achievement of Rafael Nadal.

The problem for me on the night of the U.S. Open men's singles final was having to choose between writing a "gamer" (a story emphasizing the match play and its attendant details) or a "reaction" piece analyzing the big picture meaning of the match, and how Rafa managed to complete a career Grand Slam. I felt appropriately torn. Whichever I chose, I had to ignore some tantalizing issues. But as journalists have been said to be the authors of "the first draft of history," I thought I ought to go with the Big Picture piece. Besides, you all saw the match—you didn't need my eyes to tell you what just happened.

It's a pity, in a way, because I am still trying to figure out how to explain why this final seems likely to lodge in my mind as one of the best tennis matches I've ever seen; it's right up there, as of now, somewhere in the top half-dozen. That's because I've rarely seen so compelling a display of the pure, shotmaking sensibility that Novak Djokovic brought to the court, nor the gale-force power, consistency, and athleticism of Nadal. And while Novak hit the most glorious winners, one of my match notes says I've never seen anyone hit a tennis ball as persuasively as Rafa Nadal.

Roger Federer (don't ever expect me to write about Rafa without Roger's name lurking eight or 11 characters distant) routinely produces magical shots, and he's been as close to an embodiment of quicksilver as anyone who ever played this game. But nobody, including Federer, swings the racket (at least on the forehand side) with the unique combination of raw, explosive power and absolute control as Nadal. Every decent player can do this now and then—time the arrival of a ball and generate adequate racquet-head speed and force to hit the most punishing shot of which he is capable. But nobody can do it as routinely, and make it so intrinsic a part of his game plan, as Nadal.

The sheer brutality of a typical Nadal forehand is a quality that attracts some and repels others. Those who are put off by it might appreciate the gladitorial splendor a bit more if they also acknowledged that to belt a ball with such force requires enormous natural power (is there a better one word description of the essence of life in all its forms than "power"?), applied in a very different way than, say, crushing the skull of a sabertooth tiger with a rock. To hit a tennis shot the way Nadal does repeatedly also demands exquisite timing, body control, and an astonishing degree of discipline and self-assurance—the latter being qualities we generally hold in the highest regard. Each swing of that piledriving forehand basically shouts, "I was born to do this."

Nadal's self-assurance—or should I say, the self-assurance expressed in the shots he hits and the way he hits them—is a radiant, somehow soothing thing to behold. Whatever else you say about it, the only thing you know for sure is that he can't possibly do that thing he's doing any better. It's a fully-realized idea. Don't you wonder how it feels to Nadal himself to hit that shot, a jolt of satisfaction that can only be blunted by the startling frequency with which he must experience it? Most of us get to experience that feeling now and then, but rarely in an undertaking involving ball and racket, and never with such frequency.

I don't think you can appreciate what Nadal brings to the table without backtracking to his early days on the ATP tour, or without contemplating the sometimes fierce disdain some have for Nadal. Think of it this way: If you look out your window and see your neighbor walking to the bus station on his hands, you're likely to jump up and shout: Kids, come quick, Kowalski is walking to the bus upside down! But see it repeatedly, and by the third week you're likely to just glance up and mutter, Look at that silly Kowalski, those socks don't even match his shoes!

That's how it is with Rafa; he's turned the radical into the conventional. To say he plays "ugly" tennis has evolved from an aesthetic and already somewhat irrelevant observation into an astonishing declaration of ignorance. A bitter fan of one of his rivals can cling to it; any port in storm and all that. But the reality as I see it is that Nadal figured out a new way to accomplish the paramount goal in tennis, or any game: to win.

The more important truth is that Nadal plays "successful" tennis, and that matters. It's why they keep score, and also why we can appreciate beautiful tennis as well. I don't think you would sell many tickets to a tennis match if it were just a demonsration, like dance, even if the star were as gifted and eye-pleasing a player as Federer. And if you still haven't gotten over that that "ugly tennis" hump, just try to appreciate that a player who hits his forehand like David Ferrer—in other words, a wonderful, effective, even pretty forehand—can only aspire to be as good as Ferrer, which is danged good, but nowhere near as good as is Nadal.

I don't know that Nadal will transform tennis, re-making it in something like his own image the way the trinity of Jimmy Connors, Chris Evert and Bjorn Borg did when they showed up at roughly the same time with their two-handed backhands—the repercussions of which are still being felt. That's a big ask, because what Nadal does calls for a potent combination of superior, natural and learned abilities not easily distinguished from each other. Nadal may not transform the way the game is played, but there's no doubt in my mind that Nadal is essentially a transformational character, pointing the way toward a place that perhaps nobody else can reach.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #3213
country flag Sleepwalker64

Sleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond repute

Bandwagoner indeed
That condition should be treated as mental disorder...really.
Look at the MTF...incredible
Sleepwalker64 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #3214
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read this?

Novak Djokovic out of Davis Cup opener

Associated Press

BELGRADE, Serbia -- Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from Serbia's opening singles match in the Davis Cup semifinal against the Czech Republic, citing a case of stomach flu.

A statement on the Davis Cup website says Djokovic has been replaced by 47th-ranked Victor Troicki, who will play Radek Stepanek on Friday.

It is unclear whether Djokovic will be fit to play in Saturday's doubles match or the reverse singles on Sunday.

The No. 2-ranked Djokovic has just traveled to Belgrade from the U.S. Open, where he lost to Rafael Nadal in four sets in Monday's final.

Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic plays Tomas Berdych in the second singles match.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #3215
country flag Nole fan

What's next for Novak Djokovic?
By Steve Tignor for ESPN

It's Rafael Nadal's world at the moment, and rightfully so: At the U.S. Open, Nadal became the first man since Rod Laver to win three consecutive Grand Slams on three very different surfaces. Still, it was hardly a surprise that the No. 1 player in the world would win a tournament. What was surprising, and more intriguing for the immediate future of the men's game, was the performance of the man whom Nadal beat in the Open final, Novak Djokovic.

Here was a guy whom no one had touted as a contender -- that honor went to Andy Murray, if you can remember that far back. Here was a guy who appeared to be toast right off the bat, when he went down two sets to one and a break in the fourth to his countryman, Viktor Troicki, in the first round. And yet Djokovic survived to pull off the biggest upset of the tournament, beating Roger Federer in the semis.

Although Djokovic has remained in the top five of the ATP rankings during the past two years, this win marked the first time that we'd glimpsed him in world-beating form at a major since the 2008 Australian Open, where he also beat Federer in the semis on his way to the title. In those days, it appeared that we were seeing a future No. 1, but it was Nadal who grabbed that mantle and left Djokovic to wobble on the game's second rung.

In his postfinal news conference, Djokovic was asked whether he felt he'd "reinvented himself" at this Open. He took the long view, saying that he felt he'd steadily been improving since Wimbledon and that he was happy with this result. It wasn't quite the hungry, enthusiastic answer I expected, but then again, he'd just walked off the court after losing to Nadal in four arduous sets, and he was staring at an immediate trip to Serbia to play Davis Cup on clay -- an event that, if anything, will be even more intense and draining than his experience at the Open.

Once he recovers from that, what will the Open -- the stunning win and the gutsy defeat -- mean for Djokovic's future? On the upside, after losing to Federer in the same round at Flushing the past two years, Djokovic proved that he can still play with the very best and beat them when they're on their games. Federer had his struggles in that match, especially with his serve, but Djokovic was the better player throughout. He had the answers to some of Federer's best stuff in the fifth and was striking the ball well enough to go for broke even when he got down match point. We weren't wrong back in '08: Djokovic has a No. 1 player's game inside him.

But he's still not quite convinced. Although Djokovic played valiantly against Nadal and hit hundreds of jaw-dropping shots along the way, he acted as though the cause ultimately would be a lost one. Take one example. In the third and decisive set, Djokovic swatted away nearly 20 break points and forced Nadal to serve for it at 5-4. At 30-30 in that game, Nadal hit an ace. Djokovic, rather than keeping his focus, threw his hands in the air and looked toward his box as if to say, "This guy is just too good!" The set hadn't even ended yet, but Djokovic was preparing his concession speech.

It's odd. The semis of the Open showed that Djokovic has the game to start winning Slams. The final showed that he doesn't believe it himself. The problem is, you can't have one without the other.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #3216
country flag Amber Spyglass

Location: "I think we are in rats alley,where the dead men lost their bones"
Amber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
What's next for Novak Djokovic?
By Steve Tignor for ESPN

It's Rafael Nadal's world at the moment, and rightfully so: At the U.S. Open, Nadal became the first man since Rod Laver to win three consecutive Grand Slams on three very different surfaces. Still, it was hardly a surprise that the No. 1 player in the world would win a tournament. What was surprising, and more intriguing for the immediate future of the men's game, was the performance of the man whom Nadal beat in the Open final, Novak Djokovic.

Here was a guy whom no one had touted as a contender -- that honor went to Andy Murray, if you can remember that far back. Here was a guy who appeared to be toast right off the bat, when he went down two sets to one and a break in the fourth to his countryman, Viktor Troicki, in the first round. And yet Djokovic survived to pull off the biggest upset of the tournament, beating Roger Federer in the semis.

Although Djokovic has remained in the top five of the ATP rankings during the past two years, this win marked the first time that we'd glimpsed him in world-beating form at a major since the 2008 Australian Open, where he also beat Federer in the semis on his way to the title. In those days, it appeared that we were seeing a future No. 1, but it was Nadal who grabbed that mantle and left Djokovic to wobble on the game's second rung.

In his postfinal news conference, Djokovic was asked whether he felt he'd "reinvented himself" at this Open. He took the long view, saying that he felt he'd steadily been improving since Wimbledon and that he was happy with this result. It wasn't quite the hungry, enthusiastic answer I expected, but then again, he'd just walked off the court after losing to Nadal in four arduous sets, and he was staring at an immediate trip to Serbia to play Davis Cup on clay -- an event that, if anything, will be even more intense and draining than his experience at the Open.

Once he recovers from that, what will the Open -- the stunning win and the gutsy defeat -- mean for Djokovic's future? On the upside, after losing to Federer in the same round at Flushing the past two years, Djokovic proved that he can still play with the very best and beat them when they're on their games. Federer had his struggles in that match, especially with his serve, but Djokovic was the better player throughout. He had the answers to some of Federer's best stuff in the fifth and was striking the ball well enough to go for broke even when he got down match point. We weren't wrong back in '08: Djokovic has a No. 1 player's game inside him.

But he's still not quite convinced. Although Djokovic played valiantly against Nadal and hit hundreds of jaw-dropping shots along the way, he acted as though the cause ultimately would be a lost one. Take one example. In the third and decisive set, Djokovic swatted away nearly 20 break points and forced Nadal to serve for it at 5-4. At 30-30 in that game, Nadal hit an ace. Djokovic, rather than keeping his focus, threw his hands in the air and looked toward his box as if to say, "This guy is just too good!" The set hadn't even ended yet, but Djokovic was preparing his concession speech.

It's odd. The semis of the Open showed that Djokovic has the game to start winning Slams. The final showed that he doesn't believe it himself. The problem is, you can't have one without the other.
I don't really agree with that.Numerous times in the semis Fed kept hitting this particular great deep forehand winner to Nole's forehand side.Novak clearly got sick of this play and was throwing his arms up loads.But Tignor doesn't think this is relevant because he won that match so he conveniently ignores it.I don't know whether Nole believes or not,but to take his arms in the air sighs(regular fans like us see this every match,even if the opponent's ranked 600) as proof is just ridiculous
Amber Spyglass is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #3217
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Spyglass View Post
I don't really agree with that.Numerous times in the semis Fed kept hitting this particular great deep forehand winner to Nole's forehand side.Novak clearly got sick of this play and was throwing his arms up loads.But Tignor doesn't think this is relevant because he won that match so he conveniently ignores it.I don't know whether Nole believes or not,but to take his arms in the air sighs(regular fans like us see this every match,even if the opponent's ranked 600) as proof is just ridiculous
I agree. Nole is often so misunderstood.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #3218
country flag Sleepwalker64

Sleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond reputeSleepwalker64 has a reputation beyond repute

First they used to compare Novak with Andy...and ask why is he better than him, and now this
And once again...story about a war, Ana in the pool etc
You're funny bunch Brits

I wonder sometimes...why we don't have formula 1 driver...but hey, one day I guess we will.
Sorry Rosie

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/200920...e-passion.html
Quote:

Davis Cup - Tramlines: Brits lack Serb-style passion

Mon, 20 Sep 16:16:00 2010

Serbia's stunning run to the Davis Cup final is one of the feel-good tennis stories of the year but it must have the LTA squirming with embarrassment.

In the year that the British team suffered a humiliating defeat to Lithuania in the nether regions of Euro/African Zone Group II, Serbia, a country with a population of just seven million people and, until recently, no huge tennis tradition to speak of, is on the brink of the biggest team prize in the sport.

And let's not forget that as well as creating Davis Cup finalists, Serbia has already developed two female number one players in recent years in Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.

As the LTA continues to plough vast sums into tennis in a desperate bid to create champions, Serbia can bask in pride at their heroes who have truly reached the top the hard way.

Suffering from the effects of war, there was no money in the Serbian coffers to be spent on lavish tennis facilities when their current top players were in their formative years.

Their players had to find the game as much by accident as by design with Ivanovic for example first learning how to play the game in an abandoned Olympic-sized swimming pool which had been drained of water.

Another key factor to consider is that Serbia's 'big three' of recent years – Novak Djokovic, Jankovic and Ivanovic - all moved away early in their careers, something that of course Britain's sole real recent success story, Andy Murray, also did.

Djokovic went to Germany when was he was 12, Jankovic went to America, and Ivanovic to Switzerland.

There they encountered some negative stigma in the aftermath of the Balkan wars as Slobodan Milosevic's regime was pilloried by the international community.

Yet such unjust stereotypes helped them to develop a thick skin when it came to playing in international competitions.

As Ivanovic explained in an interview in 2007: "Everyone seemed to think Serbs were bad people and I never felt I was welcome. It was hard for us. At every airport, immigration control always seemed to take longer for us than the other players.

"We had to explain what we were doing going into whatever country. There was so much trouble over visas."

To succeed in an individual sport you need a chip on the shoulder, a hunger and a desire to succeed at all costs - something the Serbian players seem to have and which the vast majority of British players lack.

You could see that overwhelming desire in the Serbian team that played against the Czech Republic in Belgrade at the weekend, and hear it in the impassioned cheers of the fans that came to watch them.

A fervent patriotic pride buzzed around the building that inspired Serbia to victory even when it looked at one stage like they were destined to be defeated.

It help somebody like Janko Tipsarevic elevate his game to a new level; he embraced the pressure and the responsibility of playing for his nation, yet when players representing Britain at Davis Cup level, or even at Wimbledon, have a similar level of pressure slammed down upon them it seems to put them in stifling knots.

So what can LTA learn from Serbia's success? Perhaps very little, because all the money in the world can't buy that hunger, that desire, and that passion exhibited by the Serbs at the weekend.

Serbia scrapped, fought and sweated for their success – in Britain we just expect it to be fed to us with a silver spoon.
Quote:
A-BOG v A-BOG

Let the Serbs have their Davis Cup, at least Britain has a representative in the greatest tennis competition known to man: A-BOG v A-BOG - Alex Bogdanovic v Alex Bogomolov Jr! (Let's ignore for a minute that Bogdanovic was actually born in Belgrade).

Our A-Bog is currently nursing a back injury but his countryman James Ward did him a favour last week by beating Bogomolov in a challenger in Bangkok so we are giving this week's point to A-Bog (GB).
Sleepwalker64 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #3219
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're funny bunch Brits
I totally agree with you. You can slap their faces one day and hug them the other day

Thanks the author for giving credit to the Serbian team.

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #3220
country flag Chupakabra

Chupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupakabra has a reputation beyond repute

Never write off Novak:

http://betting.betfair.com/tennis/ge...ak-230910.html
Chupakabra is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #3221
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupakabra View Post
Quote:
Can you honestly see Murray beating Fed from two match points down at Flushing Meadows, then going on to produce another epic against Nadal, then flying back to rescue his country in Davis Cup? Thought not.
Quote:
The next test now for the world number two is protecting his ranking points from last autumn, but you can be sure that when Melbourne comes around, no-one will be writing him off this time
Hmmmmm....

That's all I ask of you.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #3222
country flag Nole fan

I agree with most of what he says. Good article.
I just hope all this sudden hype doesn't affect Nole in a bad way.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #3223
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds so random though, an exhibition match for Nole with Roddick in Korea on October 2nd.

I know he will do all the silly things as he always does in this kind of matches, but I seriously want him to win that anyway just because of the player on the other side of the net.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #3224
country flag pica_pica

Exho! In Korea! With RODDICK??!! SERIOUSLY!!!????
(DAMN, why don't you come to Macau instead, which I'm going to tomorrow)

That's all I ask of you.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #3225
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica_pica View Post
Exho! In Korea! With RODDICK??!! SERIOUSLY!!!????
(DAMN, why don't you come to Macau instead, which I'm going to tomorrow)
This Exho is not totally new for some Fed or Nadal fans, I guess.

2005 Sharapova / Venus
2006 Federer / Nadal
2007 Federer / Sampras

The last two were held after the end of the season though.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread