Novak News!! - Page 212 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #3166
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News!!

That Broadway article is just hilarious! I don't think it's meant to offend anyone, coz it's offending EVERYBODY

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #3167
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce Jenkins
INSIDE TENNIS

Nine simply irresistible U.S. Open matches ... if the draw breaks right.

Andy Roddick vs. Novak Djokovic (quarterfinals): This pairing cuts to the heart of Djokovic's fall from grace. Back in 2007, when Djokovic unveiled his dead-on impressions of Nadal and Sharapova before a delighted late-night audience at Arthur Ashe Stadium, it was an episode of comedic genius. It was executed in good-hearted fun, without a trace of malice, and Djokovic had already become a YouTube favorite for similarly hilarious characterizations of Roddick, Roger Federer and others.

I'd wager that in any sport where camaraderie matters -- say, rugby or basketball -- Djokovic would become a legend. Teammates would be begging for his impressions at parties and social functions. They'd all be howling with laughter at the videos. Not so in tennis. Roddick and Federer, among others, weren't at all amused by the show. They found it offensive, proving once again that in a sport of individuals, going it alone in insular worlds, you make fun of people at your own risk. And what a shame: Djokovic was forced to curtail his act, unveiling it only in private settings, because tennis didn't get the joke.

To make matters worse, Djokovic developed a well-deserved reputation as a hypochondriac, losing or pulling out of matches for any number of crazy reasons -- and it was Roddick who went public with the tour's disdain. Looking ahead to his quarterfinal against Djokovic at the 2008 U.S. Open, Roddick was asked if it appeared Djokovic was experiencing ankle and hip problems.

"Isn't it both of them?" Roddick said. "And a back and a hip?"

Reporter: "And when he said there are too many to count ..."

"And a cramp."

"Do you get a sense right now that he is ..."

"Bird flu. Anthrax. SARS. Common cough and cold."

What a bust. What a setup for Roddick to take the court and dispatch Djokovic with a flourish -- except it didn't happen that way. Djokovic won that quarterfinal, then made the mistake of making some angry, ungracious comments about the crowd during his on-court interview. The New York audience heckled him into a shell two days later, during his loss to Federer, and he has since been viewed as a sort of sad, tragic figure.

It speaks to Djokovic's resolve that he remains the No. 3 player in the world. But he has endured a hellish spell against Roddick, first retiring in the fourth set of their 2009 Australian Open quarterfinal, then losing the next three matches (including the recent Cincinnati quarterfinal) in straight sets. If you like a bit of conflict in your matches, a little more tension than usual, you'd love to see these two in an Arthur Ashe Stadium encore.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #3168
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

At least a positive comment!

Patrick Mouratoglou, on eurosport.yahoo.com

“The Serb has also had a rough year in terms of success. The idea to have Todd Martin coaching him alongside with Martin Vajda has not worked well at all and he seems confused. Changing his service action was a disaster as it forced him to play without what used to be one of his best weapons.

Of course Nole is no Andy Roddick, but this shot allowed him to better control the direction of a point.

That said, he seems to have rediscovered his game since the start of the American hardcourt season.

He seems physically very fit, which is one of the best assets of his game, while his forehand seems to be back.

Djoko is once again very quick on the court, tough on defence, and able to dictate a point thanks to his forehand.

It is also worth mentioning that he is one of the best returners in the world and he is playing the best tennis of his season. I believe Nole is the number one outsider.”

There are a few mistakes in the translation, but it is roughly what he wrote in french. The sequel is about AM (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis...u/article/298/)

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #3169
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...e-club-97.html

Quote:
[...]

As for fashion, I've only been able to watch the night session matches because of work, so I can't comment on very many outfits. Carson Kressley seems to have gotten a better look, and you can see what he has to say here.

To be honest, I don't know that I agree with him on all accounts, and I'd like to think that all my taste isn't in my mouth. But you be the judge. Here are a few of my observations ...
  • Federer's night kit: Two thumbs up. The white detailing is subtle but striking. The RF logo is a nice touch, too; that thing's everywhere, it might as well be on the shirt!
  • Nadal's night kit: There's a chapter in my favorite wrestler Bret Hart's autobiography titled "From Pink to Black" - it's the first thing I thought of when I saw him. The black makes him look more serious, more intimidating (as if he needed the help). It works.
  • Ivanovic/Hantuchova: Unlike Carson, I actually found the color combination really appealing, as well as the simplicity of the cut.
  • Wozniacki: Finally Stella put her in something that doesn't wash her out and that actually fits! But perhaps a little too well? Very clingy, very skimpy. Guess if you're going to go that route, the Open's the place to do it. (Funny that Carson thought it wasn't flattering. Someone send him a photo of her dress last year.)
  • Dementieva: I keep hearing less than complimentary remarks about her kit but have only seen it in photos. What's the problem, TWibe? Too baggy?
  • Petrova: Best description of her dress gets a shout-out in next week's Deuce Club.
  • But you know who had the outfit of the Open? Papa Djokovic.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #3170
country flag Naina

Naina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda agree with that I find Miljan's T-shirt with Nole on the front a tad too much but the enlargement of Nole on Srjdan's t-shirt is a actually a lil' disturbing
Nalbandian.Safin.Mathieu.
Naina is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #3171
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennisidentity.com/tennis...n-fashion.html

Quote:
Novak Djokovic and the Season of the Dragon. More US Open Fashion.

Another player with day and night style. Novak Djokovic's day session kit is from the Sergio Tacchini Dragon Line, white shirt with black tattoo inspired dragon graphics and black shorts with similar graphics; his night session kit has the same dragon but is blue/red. The coordinating cap tops it all off.

The inspiration for the new tennis line comes from the Far East, as the dragon is a legendary figure in Chinese mythology and the region is an important market for the brand.

Djokovic will play in the Far East after the US Open and this outfit was designed especially for China and the Shanghai Rolex Masters Tournament.

The Dragon Line is the last of Sergio Tacchini's tattoo themes for Djokovic and will close the 2010 season.
Thank God!
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #3172
country flag Nole fan

Haha makes sense. Novak is a huge star in China after all. Might that be the reason why ST just went after him?

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #3173
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Chinese and I'm not impressed by tennis players wearing a big dragon at the back

Maybe he should have a rabbit instead. He's born in 1987, Year of Rabbit.

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #3174
country flag mayagaller

mayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond reputemayagaller has a reputation beyond repute

I like the dragon. :O It makes the usually boring ST stuff a tad more interesting, IMO.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #3175
country flag Naina

Naina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond reputeNaina has a reputation beyond repute

I like the dragon too. It is probably more eye catching for non-Chinese people not to say that a giant bunny on the back of his shirt won't be eye catching
Nalbandian.Safin.Mathieu.
Naina is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #3176
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I am Chinese and I like the dragon. It's not that big, just the right shoulder. I really need a better picture to figure out how many claws the dragon has.
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #3177
country flag ~Maya~
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute~Maya~ has a reputation beyond repute

I like the dragon too.
~Maya~ is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #3178
country flag Nole fan

USO: Novak Djokovic Third Round Press Conference
Posted: 05 Sep 2010 07:50 AM PDT

Q. It looked like you played with a lot of poise. He had the breakpoints early. In the tiebreak he had a chance. What are you most satisfied with how you played tonight?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I think definitely the focus today was great. Just the patience in this weather, finding the right way to play in the certain moments.

It’s a big mental struggle when you have such a strong wind to find a way how to try to play good tennis, especially if you have somebody across the net who is so aggressive, taking everything early and playing a risky game.

So I think I was serving very well. It was a very high percentage of the first serves in. Good accuracy, efficiency. It was very important in these conditions.

Q. You’ve played Mardy. You know him well. What kind of match do you expect?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, we played on a couple of different surfaces. We played in Wimbledon, as well. We had a tough one here a couple years back in US Open.

I don’t know. I think he’s playing maybe his best tennis at this moment. He’s moving really well. He’s serving as good as he served always. He has a lot of talent. He’s recognizing the moment, coming to the net. He has a lot of variety in the game.

I guess I have to be on the top of my game to be able to win.

Q. Have you watched Federer’s commercial where he tried to hit a ball off somebody’s head?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No. They asked me already. I didn’t.

Q. Do you believe it’s possible?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don’t know. It’s hard to say. I don’t know. If he did it, I mean, have to be very lucky. You know, the odds are not really big, you know, to hit a bottle.

Q. Do you dare to be somebody’s target?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I’m doing it every day, day-to-day basis. Kind of serving to my coach’s hat, trying to put an apple out of his head (laughter).

No.

Q. How do you feel physically after all your long matches?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, physically I’m fit. I’m fine. I’ve been setting my form for this tournament. I was focusing on this tournament, as most of the players, because we all want to perform our best and be ready 100% physically and mentally to perform our best on US Open.

Luckily I came over that five-setter, and then I had some difficulties there with the heat, not specifically with the physical condition. So I feel okay. I know tonight I had more of the mental struggle to kind of find the rhythm on this wind. I’m sure I’ll be fit for continuation of the tournament.

Q. Unusual question for you: What do you think about Russian tennis, and what do you think about Russian success of the last couple of years? Do you have any Russian friends on the tour?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Sure. You know, I’m good with a lot of Russian players, with Safin. We shared the same agent over the years. I practiced with him a lot when I got to the professional stage. He was one of my idols actually. He’s a fantastic player.

I mean, Russia has such a long tradition, especially in woman’s tennis. It’s amazing how many girls every year — you see some new girls from Russia coming up and doing well. Now you have two playing on center court.

You shouldn’t worry about the success of Russian tennis, definitely.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #3179
country flag Nole fan

An Interview With: Novak Djokovic
Monday, September 6, 2010

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You feel like you're getting better with every match?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I think so, and it's very encouraging fact at this stage of the tournament that I'm raising my game and feeling more comfortable on the court. I played a great match today. Conditions were tough as well with a strong wind. I was using my serve in important moments extremely well and opening the court and kind of not giving him enough chances to come to the net and be aggressive.

Q. Do you think after your performance today it's time for everyone to start taking you more seriously as a contender this year?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: To be honest, I'm not thinking about if somebody takes me or takes me not for serious contender. I don't care too much. I really just try to focus on my game. I'm happy with the way things are moving on for me at this point. Physically I feel very fit, and mentally I'm very focused on the court and taking every match very seriously. This is the only way for me to go far in the tournament. So far I've been feeling very confident and just trying to move on.

Q. Would you say it's the best you've been playing in Grand Slam this year?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, I think. But even in Wimbledon I was playing really well every match up to the semifinals. French Open, as well, I was playing great, and then two sets to love up and then I lost that match. But, you know, it's important to perform your best tennis at Grand Slams, and this was my aim for 2010. It's gonna be my aim for next year. It's the most important events, and it's where you want to perform the best tennis you can. It's been happening so far for me. I have to be happy with the results.

Q. Do you think you have an advantage in that Rafa and Federer have so much attention and you can sort of play under the radar a little even though you're the No. 3 seed?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, as I said, I don't really pay too much attention on that. My job is to play tennis, of course. I'm having fun on and off the court. I enjoy what I do. I guess with the results, you know, you obviously get more attention.

Q. I want to ask you about Davis Cup. You played quite impressive here, while the Czechs went out in the first round. Is it important for the matchup in Belgrade next week?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, well, Davis Cup is very important, but right now I'm not thinking about it. I just want to go as far as I can in this tournament. It's the most important tournament during this period of the year for me. Then when I finish I'll think about Davis Cup. But definitely it's one of the crucial matches, semifinals for the first time, and I hear that back in our country there is a lot of interest for that match.

Q. Do you think that the exhaustion can be important, because the Czechs are out and Radek Stepanek may be preparing while you are here?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I don't think it's gonna affect me too much. I have been facing that situation many times before. Actually, just now, recently I've played semifinals at Wimbledon. I had a tough couple of weeks there, and then I've played Davis Cup in Croatia really well. I'm physically fit.

Q. When we think back three years ago when you were the sensational finalist and the joker on the court, don't get me wrong, but it seemed easy came for you, a, of things. Is that right, or maybe a wrong...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, depends really, because at that time I was a 19 , 20 year old kid who just didn't care much about pressure or anything and didn't know what's pressure and expectations. Just hitting the ball, being very aggressive and open minded and just playing great game. I think a lot of us wish to have this kind of attitude on the court and not thinking about some things, some side factors that can affect your game, which in this present moment is something I have to deal with. But on the other hand, the positives of me as a player today is that I have more experience, I'm stronger, I just played so many matches on the big stage. I still enjoy. I still enjoy even though I'm not doing my impersonations on the court or after, but I still very much enjoy what I do.

Q. How do you feel about the problem coughing and lose the breath?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's much better now. It's just periodically it comes in the year. I guess in the spring I had a lot of allergy trouble. But right now I'm feeling quite good.

Q. So you described how there was no pressure then. What's the pressure like now, and how are you dealing with it?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, once you get mature, then you experience some things in your life, and, you know, you get to the stage when you're one of the best players in the world. Then you're not coming in Grand Slams anymore as somebody who is young and kind of the first 30, 20 in the world and not expected to go far and you don't have that amount of expectations on your back. On the other hand now, you know, you're getting into the tournaments and matches as somebody who is expected to win most of his matches he's playing on, and getting to the late stage of the second week. So that's something you have to deal with, and everybody deals with it. It's a challenge you have to overcome, and it makes you mentally stronger. So right now I learned over this year and a half how to deal with it and just happy with the process.

Q. Next one you will be facing will be Gaël Monfils. You beat him the last four times you played, but the matches were pretty close. What made the difference between you two in these matches?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, most of our matches were very long, a lot of long rallies, a lot of sliding, a lot of athleticism on the court. He's physically one of the most prepared and strongest guy on the tour. So, yeah, we have a lot of respect for each other. We grew up together. We are same generation in juniors. We met a lot of times in the tournaments, so it's no secret in our games. I guess he's kind of flashy. If he starts playing well, he can beat anyone, you know, because he's so fast and so athletic and strong that he can get a lot of balls back. I just have to be ready and kind of patient and wait for my chances.

Q. Do you feel you're the best you've ever been right now?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, to be honest, I'm not making a clear judgment about comparison about, you know, me in 2007 or 2008 or now. I'm trying to look forward and trying to develop my game and work on some things. I know still that I have some things to improve on is more efficient serve and getting into the net and using some chances and stepping in and using some chances to make the points short. This is what I want to do to have some variety in the game. Right now in this moment I'm feeling very good on the court, and is as well as I played this year, I guess. I've played couple of times really well throughout the year on Wimbledon and Davis Cup. Unfortunately this year hasn't been that consistent as maybe '08 and '09, but still I have to be happy with the results.

Q. Do you think you enjoy yourself more than some of the other top players? You seem to joke around a lot.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I do. I just said, you know, I enjoy what I do. I have a love for the game, and it's the most important.

Q. Are you a better player now, do you think, than when you won the Australian?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I've just answered the question. I mean, I'm not making a comparison.

Q. When you think about Roger and Rafa and their head to heads, Rafa has the big advantage. In your mind, why do you think Nadal has such a big lead in their matches against one another?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's hard to say. Nadal is, I guess, one of the very few players Roger maybe doesn't like to play because of his physical ability on the court. He's lefty and he produces a lot of spin with the ball and gets to his backhand. I mean, he's gonna answer the question better, I guess. But maybe that was the case in recent years. You know, again, it depends from the surface, as well. On the faster surface and hard courts Roger has more chance, but Nadal has improved so much in last couple of years on grass. I mean, winning two Wimbledons is just amazing for something that is a clay court specialist.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #3180
country flag Nole fan

Same shit, same old from Bodo. I can't stand this guy.

Mardi Gros

by Pete Bodo

I want Fat Mardy back.

There, I said it. That's it for one of the dominant narratives of this summer of tennis, the last word on a subject that, at least in American tennis circles, has been as inescapable as talking about the weather, the oil spill, the proposed Ground Zero mosque. If you didn't know better, you might swear that what svelte Mardy, with legs so skinny that I recently mistook him for Gael Monfils, was really angling to land this summer was not a Grand Slam title but a whopper of an endorsement deal with Weight Watchers International. I can just see him on late night TV, arm-in-arm with the Duchess of Po- York, Sarah Ferguson.

We can fill the subsequent lull in the conversation with speculations on how much better Mardy Fish might do if he put on a few more pounds of muscle, re-developed a modest little front porch, and started to throw, oh, about 30 more pounds behind that sledgehammer serve and rekindled his willingness to go lurching to the net behind it. Bring back Fat Mardy. I miss the strange beauty of the inconsistent and unpredictable.

Alright, I overstate the case for emphasis. But if you watched Fish lose to Novak Djokovic on Arthur Ashe Stadium this afternoon, you know what I'm driving at. Fish played a surprisingly passive match, as if he were bent on proving that the only difference between he and David Ferrer is 12 inches of elevation, 30 pounds, and a headband worthy of a Mescalero Apache.

Fish played Djokovic defensively, and often from a position so far behind the baseline that Djokovic had plenty of time to load, lock and fire. The straight set scores (6-3, 6-4, 6-1) provide a vivid summary of the match. Fish fell behind quickly and irreversibly; he made the best push of which he was capable, all things considered, in the second set (down a break at 2-3, Fish had Djokovic serving at 0-40, but let him slip away). After that, what oxygen remained in Fish's gills slowly dissapated.

I talked with Nick Bollettieri (here's the video) right after the match, and his impressions were similar; he pointed out that engaging in behind-the-baseline duels with Novak Djokovic is suicidal for a guy like Fish. Just because you lose 30 pounds, it doesn't mean you're gifted with the retrieving skills of a Rafael Nadal, or a Federer-esque ability to transition from defense to offense. Getting thinner hasn't made Fish any less perceptive or articulate, and he knows what we're talking about here. "Sometimes, I think I sort of get into a rut—it's so much fun for me now to be able to sort of run down shots and play a little defense. I do that too much, and I'm aware of it, for the most part.

"But he (Djokovic) plays defense as good as anyone, and so he's better than me at it, for sure. That was the case. I tried to, you know, get to the net, tried to stay more, you know, to be a little more aggressive towards the middle part of the match. I just didn't . . . execute."

Fish is an astute player and seems to understand to truth of Heraclitis' maxim, Character is Destiny, and how it might apply to the physical character of a player. He freely admits that he's not even sure where this new body will take him, beyond on a longer road to the funeral parlor. "I've always said that I'm not sure where I'll end up as far as, ah, 12 months from now—where I'll be ranked. But I know I feel like a completely different person. I always had the ability to beat a lot of good players, but not consistently. I feel like consistently I can do it now, over the long haul. but I've got to do a better job. Just sort of figure out the exact strategy that I want, and I'll hopefully figure that out over the course of the next few months, or however long it takes me to sort of find that happy medium between staying aggressive and playing defense."

The emerging theme is that this fixation on fitness at age 29, a tennis player's version of that recently divorced 62-year old insurance broker's sudden decision to get hair plugs, a leather jacket, and a yellow Corvette, creates more challenges than it solves, even when things work out for the better in the long run. Fish re-invented his body, now he has to find the game most appropriate to it. It's a two-stage process, but that's nothing to get discouraged about. He already did the heavy lifting, dropping those 30 pounds that many of the rest of us are content to lug around. The rest is a matter of vigilance, discipline, and the fun of drawing up a new set of X's and O's.

In tennis, one man's issues are another man's meal ticket, so give Djokovic credit for taking advantage of the complications in Fish's situation. The No. 3 seed appears to be hitting the ball as well as ever, but you could have said that about him at the French Open, as well as Wimbledon, and all he did at those tournaments was sprinkle water on the growing theme that his game arcs upwards but begins to descend at exactly the wrong time. If he were a basketball player, he'd be throwing up three-pointers at the buzzer, only to watch them glance off the front of the rim as a collective groan rises from the "home" side of the gym.

Djokovic is an odd guy. He seems extremely content being exactly who he is, which in general is a wonderful way to go through life, if not Grand Slam tournaments. He's a master reciter of facts. Does anyone else detect a smidgen of delusion and an unhealthy (for an aspiring No. 1) dose of objectivity in this analysis: "But even in Wimbledon I was playing really well every match up to the semifinals. French Open, as well, I was playing great, and then two sets to love up and then I lost that match. But, you know, it's important to perform your best tennis at Grand Slams, and this was my aim for 2010. It's gonna be my aim for the next year. It's the most important events, and it's where you want to perform the best tennis you can. It's happening so far for me. I have to be happy with my results."

Well, thanks for the tutorial on the importance of playing well, Novak, but aren't you a teensy-weensy bit concerned about the fact that your wheels have a puzzling, unsatisfying way of falling off when you most need to put the pedal to the metal? Someone remind this guy of Albert Einstein's famous remark: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But let's withhold judgment on this one; the happy Serb played excellent tennis today and only a fool would write him off as a contender for the title.

So here we are, with six Spanish players surviving to the round of 16 at the U.S. Open. When Fish was asked how he accounts for the Iberian invasion, he noted that tennis is hugely popular in Spain—second only to King Soccer. He also cited the early training that leaves so many players proficient on multiple surfaces, and the basic fitness of the Spanish players. "You look at these guys, you won't come across a Top 50 Spaniard who's afraid to take his shirt off in practice, and they all know they look good doing it."

You could say the same for Fish, and the trend in his recent results, if not today, testifies to the fitness divided. But I kind of miss fat Mardy, even if the newer, sleeker model is destined to prove more able.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Closed Thread