Novak News!! - Page 204 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #3046
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak News!!

Wimbledon Preview: The Seeds Announced

Djokovic is seeded third and will look to forge himself a remarkable run of confident results. Pessimistically his inconsistent form has plagued his career for too long and many expect that he may suffer an early exit before potential meetings in the semi finals with Nadal or Federer.

For both Djokovic and Murray their fate lies in their own hands. If they do reach the semi finals against Nadal or Federer your safe bet would be on the former champions to take the victory.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...eeds-announced
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #3047
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Nole is #7 in the race. Those ahead of him are:

01 Rafael Nadal (ESP) 6345
02 Roger Federer (SUI) 3435
03 Robin Soderling (SWE) 2955
04 David Ferrer (ESP) 2630
05 Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 2625
06 Andy Roddick (USA) 2560
Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #3048
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazif View Post
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-wimbledon.do

Nole beat Murray in a warm-up thing, with the loser's coach doing 20 press-ups at stake
Great thing

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #3049
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2010: Preview and Predictions

Djokovic Quarter:

The struggling Serb will have to be on his A-game from the opening round.

Facing diminutive but dangerous Oliver Rochus, Djokovic will vividly keep in mind his defeat to Rochus in Miami during the spring.

Djokovic can in essence be considered a bit of wild card coming into the tournament. He's proven that he can reach the latter stages of big events, but his recent losses would indicate that he can't be penciled in for podium glory either.

Taylor Dent would be no gimme for Djokovic in round two, while a potential fourth-round clash with ultra-confident Lleyton Hewitt could be a top five match of the fortnight.

Hewitt could not have asked for a better segue into the draw than to defeat Federer for the first time in 16 meetings in Germany. It's still too early to tell if Hewitt can hold up over five sets, but he certainly has the confidence card burning bright for his journey.

Another key and never overlooked name in this quarter is Andy Roddick. Losing an epic final last year, Roddick will once again begin what he hopes is his culminating tennis achievement.

I can assure you that Roddick wants nothing more than to lift the Wimbledon title before he retires. Although his recent form—or lack thereof—would indicate that he could be upset early, his previous performances would suggest that he's ready to embark on another deep charge.

Mardy Fish and Michael Llodra are two floaters who know how to bomb their way to victory—both men are coming in off of impressive warm up results.

Marin Cilic certainly can't be overlooked, but his recent dip in form—after his impressive start to the season—would suggest that he's waiting to return to the asphalt of North America.

All—in—all, there are three or four players who could come out of this section. Going with the odds, or perhaps recent results, the favorites remain Djokovic, Roddick, and Hewitt.

Of those names, Roddick has shown the greatest resolve in recent months and will be playing with heart and pride from the very first round.

It won't be easy; expect a few five setters along the way, but look for Roddick to engage in the same form that took him to the finals last year.

Pick: Roddick
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #3050
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
A hardly surprising prediction

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #3051
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazif View Post
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-wimbledon.do

Nole beat Murray in a warm-up thing, with the loser's coach doing 20 press-ups at stake
That's just funny and cute.

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #3052
country flag kalisita

kalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond reputekalisita has a reputation beyond repute

From twitter of Doug Robson: http://twitter.com/dougrobson

ATP Board election Update: Gimelstob re-elected as players board member. Players' council elections: Federer and Nadal re-elected, Djokovic was not. New players: Sam Querrey and Nenad Zimonjic.
kalisita is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #3053
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisita View Post
From twitter of Doug Robson: http://twitter.com/dougrobson

ATP Board election Update: Gimelstob re-elected as players board member. Players' council elections: Federer and Nadal re-elected, Djokovic was not. New players: Sam Querrey and Nenad Zimonjic.
Is this a good thing or not?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #3054
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a good thing. Does it give any explanation? I'm puzzled.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #3055
country flag Amber Spyglass

Location: "I think we are in rats alley,where the dead men lost their bones"
Amber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond reputeAmber Spyglass has a reputation beyond repute

Well we don't know whether he ran for it or not this time.They asked him in a presser in IW whether he was going to run for it again this year or not and he said he wasn't sure yet.So we don't know whether he ran and wasn't elected or if he just didn't run at all this time
Amber Spyglass is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #3056
country flag Running:Free

Running:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond reputeRunning:Free has a reputation beyond repute

Wimby R1 vs. Rochus - Presser
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...171937349.html

Q. Do you feel like you got out of jail tonight?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Meaning on...

Q. As in you were lucky to escape with a win tonight?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I don't think I was too lucky. Actually, I had a kind of big match and big challenge with myself. As soon as I was starting to play aggressive and well, I was winning in the match. Fourth and fifth set, especially in the fifth set, I showed the real game, the game that I should play.

You know, it was great match, of course. Rochus is a very tricky player, especially on grass. He has a very low balance and he rarely gives you free points. You have to work for all the points.So I dropped the level of serve, and I started to give him too much opportunities and he used it. So that's why I did have a big struggle against him. But I was very happy that in the end I managed to find the real game.

Q. Whenever you went off for the break to bring the roof across, what did your team say to you to get you geared up for the remainder of the match?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, you know, it is all part of the sport, and you have to deal with it. I think the break kind of helped me a little bit, because I didn't feel great at that moment on the court. So to have a little half an hour of the break and just relax and focus and reset my game and my mind was helpful.

Q. Confidence-wise coming into this championship, where do you feel you are with your game at the moment?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it hasn't been the best couple of months, you know, of the year. But still, you always find the motivation to do well in Wimbledon and any Grand Slam, especially here, for me, the most prestigious one and most important one.

I really have a big desire to go far, but I'll take one match at a time. I'm very proud to take the win tonight. It was a tough match, but everybody plays tennis, you know. You cannot underestimate any opponents, even in the opening rounds.

Q. Wimbledon completely oozes tradition, so how do you imagine a press conference near midnight playing at Wimbledon? Do you feel like you're more in New York or somewhere?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It was interesting. You don't get to see a lot of late-night matches in Wimbledon history. Now with having roof and lights gives us that opportunity.So I'm happy that in a way my name is in the history books of playing late in the night, so I'm just happy to grab a win.

Q. How would you sum up your experience playing under the roof and under the lights?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It was very humid. I think Murray and Wawrinka played last year a long match under the roof and lights. They were saying how humid it is and, especially if there is a lot of people watching you, sweating a lot. It's different conditions. Definitely different conditions. Kind of suited to my game at that moment, and I managed to go through.
Running:Free is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #3057
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I was very happy that in the end I managed to find the real game.
It's the first time in along while I've heard Nole say that in a presser. It gives me hopes. He knows he needs to find his real game to be the same again. I think he has a little more confidence now.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #3058
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/...119786163.html

Djokovic downs Rochus under the roof by Alix Ramsay

Novak Djokovic has made history at the All England Club although not in quite the way he would have wanted. He will go down in the record books as the latest ever finish on Centre Court, walking back to the locker room after 11pm having survived an almighty scare against Olivier Rochus.
He did manage to win - just - 4-6, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 but it was awfully close, too close for a man with ambitions to the title. Played partly under the Centre Court roof, it took 3hrs 51 mins for the two to settle their differences with the final point concluding at 10.58pm.

It was also the first time the roof had been brought into play to counter bad light rather than rain.

Djokovic had just dropped the third set and was trailing his Belgian counterpart 2-1 when he and Rochus were suddenly sent back to the locker room. The light was beginning to fade and the tournament referee, Andrew Jarrett, decreed that the Centre Court roof should be closed, the lights turned on and the match resumed when the air conditioning system was up to speed and working full blast. After more than 40 minutes, the players were called back to the court to finish their day's work.

As if dealing with the relentless challenge of Rochus was not hard enough, Djokovic now had to try to find a way to lift his spirits after losing that set and, at the same time, find a way to stop the energetic Belgian. As Djokovic knew from experience, Rochus is the last man you want to be playing when you are not quite at your sharpest - the last time they met, Rochus won at the Miami Masters.

The diminutive Belgian stands just 5 ft 6 ins in his tennis socks and, in a land of giants, he is usually standing in somebody's shadow. Yet Rochus has unique skills. When he beat Marat Safin here in 2002, the big bear of a Russian claimed that it was like trying to fight off a mosquito buzzing around his ankles. Against Djokovic, he was buzzing fit to bust from the very start.

He had clearly come with a game plan: play everything to Djokovic's backhand, keep away from his forehand at all costs and be patient. Given the Serb's explosive power, there was no way that Rochus was going to out-muscle him but he could try and out-think him.

Sure enough, the plan worked a treat. Djokovic was hitting more than enough winners, but he was also throwing in far too many unforced errors for comfort. Time and again, Rochus would trap his foe in long backhand rallies, pinning the Serb in a corner and giving him slice after slice to play with. Then, with not so much as a hint of a change of gear, Rochus would unleash a walloping drive and wait for Djokovic to fluff the reply.

It was a good enough plan to win him the first set but Rochus could not keep the pressure up indefinitely. He battled and he fought, but he could not keep Djokovic at bay forever and, on his fourth break point, the Serb finally broke the Rochus serve to take a 2-0 lead in the second set. At last, he had got the better of the little Belgian and Djokovic roared in celebration to his support crew at the side of the court.

From there, Djokovic seemed to be in complete control. He raced to a 5-0 lead, he waited politely as Rochus held for 5-1 and then he went to serve for the set. And then he dropped his serve. This was not in the script. He broke straight back to take the second set, but he was not looking at all comfortable.

The third set went much the way of the first except that Rochus was making bigger and quicker inroads into Djokovic's defences. As the world No.3 racked up 22 unforced errors - Rochus had committed only seven mistakes throughout the whole match by this stage - he looked increasingly rattled and increasingly glum.

Djokovic did not look much happier after the break for the roof to be shut. But, for all that, he had a plan. Changing his tactics and trying a bit of serve and volley, he got his nose in front early in the fourth set and held on to his lead to force the decider.

When Rochus broke to take a 2-0 lead at the start of the fifth set, it seemed that an upset was on the cards but, as the clock ticked on, so Djokovic finally cut out the errors and began to pull rank as one of the contenders for the title. With one last service winner, he closed out the match and sighed with relief. He was through but it had still been far too close for comfort.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...Wins-Epic.aspx

Rochus, who was making his 10th appearance at Wimbledon, congratulated his opponent for his comeback win: “He played very well the last two sets. He was more consistent… I gave my best, and I don't know. I played great. He's not No. 3 in the world for nothing. He showed it today. I was close, but that's the game.”
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #3059
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Rochus, who was making his 10th appearance at Wimbledon, congratulated his opponent for his comeback win: “He played very well the last two sets. He was more consistent… I gave my best, and I don't know. I played great. He's not No. 3 in the world for nothing. He showed it today. I was close, but that's the game.”
I take my hat off to Rochus.

Great analysis of the match, at least a writer that understands tennis and not only uses stadistics.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #3060
country flag Noleta

N.Djokovic - 23 June 2010

Q. What was the difference today than from Monday?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, two different opponents. Rochus is obviously a player who runs a lot, gets a lot of balls back. Very tough to play with him from the baseline.

And today I had a very big server. Especially in the first set, he had a good percentage of the first serves in, as well. He was putting a lot of pressure on my serves.

I think it was very important for me to overcome that first set to win it. I think that was one of the turning points in the match. I managed to get the match under my control after that.

Q. How difficult was it to play someone with such a big serve? He got the record at Wimbledon on speed of serve.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think 151 was one serve that he didn't put in and 148 was the fastest.

Yeah, it's incredible. He had so many first serves over 140 miles. That's gonna stay the dream for me to make it in my life ever. But he obviously on this diamond day did it great. It was a fantastic day. You know, when there is sun, the ball goes faster. Obviously, his serve gets more effect.

Q. Were you relieved to get that one finished tonight after such a long contest on Monday?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, yeah. In the first match, I had a new experience playing under the roof and lights. Today on the diamond day, it was different. Just happy to get through. Hopefully I'll continue the same rhythm.

Q. When you saw you were last on Centre Court...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I was happy. It's great to get a lot of matches on the show courts, of course. In a way, it gives me a sense that I did something in my life, in my career. Of course, it's a pleasure playing in front of that crowd.

There's so much history and tradition in the Centre Court, especially, that we don't need to talk about it too much.

Q. Will you watch the football, as well?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Oh, yeah, I'm very eager to watch the Serbia/Australia match. It starts right now. Hopefully we'll get through. I think we have good chances on this diamond day.

Q. Were you upset by your five sets in the first round?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No. Look, I was expecting a tough match. I lost to Rochus last match we played in Miami, and I did have a negative score with him. So he's a tricky opponent for my game.
But I think the break of the lights when I was two sets to one down gave me more chances to, you know, recover, get my thoughts together. After half an hour, I came back as a different player on the court.
I was happy to play well.

Q. Do you feel in better shape now in this tournament than in Roland Garros where you had maybe some wrist injury?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I didn't have wrist injury. I was very fit there. I played great, actually. I thought I was gaining that confidence, the right play that I had in last couple of years. In that quarterfinals, just very strange turnover. I was very disappointed after that match.

But it was great from my side that I managed to keep that momentum going on. Right now in Wimbledon, I feel great. Let's see how far I can go.

Q. The history has been written while you play, because it's 46 46 in the fifth set. 8 hours and 15 minutes. What are your thoughts about that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I mean, what can you say about that? I mean, I am very surprised. Everybody's watching it in the locker rooms, everywhere. That's the longest match by far any tournament, any Grand Slam. Of course, two big servers.

But I'm amazed that they can both hold their serves this comfortably for the whole day. I mean, it's unbelievable. You have to give them credit, both of them.
Whoever wins today, I think both of them are winners. Obviously, the loser will be disappointed. Yeah, I don't know, maybe they should agree on playing tiebreak if it's 50 All. That's maybe one of the solutions (laughter).

Q. Will you send a message to Stankovic on this diamond day?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's very important we play for this diamond.