Federer vs Sampras count updated.... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Sampras count updated....

Bruguera, another guy with a positive h2h against Sampras. Along with Krajicek, Haarhuis, Schaller and Gross (he only played Schaller and Gross once). How many others are there?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #17
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
Bruguera, another guy with a positive h2h against Sampras. Along with Krajicek, Haarhuis, Schaller and Gross (he only played Schaller and Gross once). How many others are there?

indeed. But only consider the ones that happened in slams...the other tournament losses dont hurt pete's legacy
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the explicit reply, WB, although we'll agree to disagree about certain things (Courier was at least as good as Roddick on fast courts, with at least finals of every Slam, Rusedski's time in the sun came in the twighlight of Pete's career, Rafter was just as much of a factor at OZ as Nalbandian with a 5 sets loss in the SF to Agassi - arguably the best ever on Rebound Ace - and made SF of every Slam, and also my guess is that Ancic right now is as good as he'll ever be, no surprises from him ahead of us).

Anyway, I might not be qualified to pass an objective judgment since I hate to admit today's game is basically a baseline-double-hander-game, with no exceptional Serve-Volleyers with distinguished skills like Edberg, Becker and Rafter (granted, the ATP brought it upon us fans with its atrocious Slowing-Down policy).
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #19

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
Thank you for the explicit reply, WB, although we'll agree to disagree about certain things (Courier was at least as good as Roddick on fast courts, with at least finals of every Slam, Rusedski's time in the sun came in the twighlight of Pete's career, Rafter was just as much of a factor at OZ as Nalbandian with a 5 sets loss in the SF to Agassi - arguably the best ever on Rebound Ace - and made SF of every Slam, and also my guess is that Ancic right now is as good as he'll ever be, no surprises from him ahead of us).

Anyway, I might not be qualified to pass an objective judgment since I hate to admit today's game is basically a baseline-double-hander-game, with no exceptional Serve-Volleyers with distinguished skills like Edberg, Becker and Rafter (granted, the ATP brought it upon us fans with its atrocious Slowing-Down policy).
well consider the fact that roddick isnt done yet...he has three gs finals lost. courier disappeared off the map after he had some initial success, so unless the same thing happens to roddick, i would bet that roddick will end up being more successful on fast courts. he is younger than federer after all, not by much i know.

its easy to compare rafter's finished career with david's still current one. Rafter has two usopen finals more than david. i give david another 3 years to match that. now remember that we cant count gs wins, because that falls into the argument of whether fed's competition is weaker or he is stronger...this is precisely what we are trying to analyze. david also has an two rg semis? So if david reaches another final only to be beaten by federer, he will become equal.

i agree that i dont see ancic troubling federer, but this is a testament to federer. ancic is almost a carbon copy of krajicek.

ancic has better grounstrokes, slightly worse volleys and a comparable serve. In this day and age with courts slowing down, he is the analogue of krajicek.

now in my previous post, i compared players who had similar results and some element of similar game style with the chronology of both eras as well, which is why i didnt compare ancic to krajicek. i believe the age difference is more between ancic and federer than it is between krajicek and pete.These players have similar game style, but i found the analogies on the whole to be better if i compared safin to krajicek and goran.

rusedski and rafter were succesful during similar times (usopen final)...if we say that rusedski emerged in the twilight of pete's career...we must say the same about rafter. rusedski did play pete indoors in paris...ivan has already gone further by getting to madrid and paris. so ivan came in the peak of federer, then this should not be used against him because he still has been able to achieve similar results. goran is not comparable because his haven was grass.

another comment is that much of agassi's success on rebound ace came during pete's decline. Nadal on the other hand is giving it to federer in his prime years. agassi played who? shuettler, kafelnikov. yes he beat some great ones like pat, and pete. but he's also lost to some not so great ones. agassi is for sure by record the best on rebound ace(not sure?) but he has played his fair share of not so strong players. if the only points we disagree with are the ones in your post, then i think we agree on more things than not.

throw in the fact that during andre's peak on rebound ace, he fell to both federer and safin, and we have some interesting context for the generations.

Last edited by World Beater : 10-10-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #20

the point is that even though pete might have had the more "talented" contemporaries, this certainly did not translate into better competition
Old 10-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #21
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

very professional
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

lemme dig up this thread again... now that no.1 is lost... the comparison for no.1 position thread seems secondary... so perhaps we should revisit the achievements comparison with sampras...

seems that federer's career is following a similar ending trend as sampras?? consider the charts of federer and sampras:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampras

sampras won 1 slam and no AMS titles in 1998... federer has won neither in 2008... he could salvage a bit of the season if he can win US open...

sampras won a grand total of 4 titles (including 1 US Open) in 1998... federer has won 2 titles in 2008 so far...

1998 appears to be the year when sampras starts to be on a decline... although federer 's performance in 2008 so far is similar to sampras in 1998... sampras was able to remain year ending no.1 in 1998... but federer looks unlikely to...

so what's next for federer ...??

well for sampras... he won another 3 more slams after 1998... and few more weeks at no.1 in 1999 and 2000... before retiring in 2002 with a US Open title...

if federer follows the same trend... does this spell the start of the decline...? i think it's unfortunate that federer has a slightly slow start in his career... he reach no.1 in 2004 aged 23... where sampras (as well as nadal) reached that a year earlier aged 22... federer would have broken sampras records if he reached the peak at the same age...

regards,
wacky

Last edited by wackykid : 08-05-2008 at 07:06 AM.
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
country flag Goncharov

Goncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond repute

*Bump*

Hello. I have a question. It is only slightly related to this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one for one question.

There is an interview with Sampras in which he talks about Federer and mentions that Federer's results at the French Open confirm his talents and that he hasn't reached his peak and how he (Sampras) is impressed by Federer's personality.

My search has not yielded any results. Would any of you folks direct me to a website or magazine where this interview can be found?
Goncharov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #24
country flag robinhood

robinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharov View Post
*Bump*

Hello. I have a question. It is only slightly related to this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one for one question.

There is an interview with Sampras in which he talks about Federer and mentions that Federer's results at the French Open confirm his talents and that he hasn't reached his peak and how he (Sampras) is impressed by Federer's personality.

My search has not yielded any results. Would any of you folks direct me to a website or magazine where this interview can be found?
Hi, Goncharov. Welcome to the forum.
You know, there have been so many similar interviews and remarks from Sampras over the years that I personally wouldn't know how to locate the EXACT one you are looking for without more clues.

But here is one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...y-records.html

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WS CHAMPS 2010 & 2012

GIANTS SHARKS NINERS WARRIORS A'S RAIDERS
robinhood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #25
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't updated that website since the aussie open.

Where can I find the Career win loss records at the Masters series events?

It's Nadal tied with Sampras?
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #26
country flag Goncharov

Goncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond reputeGoncharov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Hi, Goncharov. Welcome to the forum.
You know, there have been so many similar interviews and remarks from Sampras over the years that I personally wouldn't know how to locate the EXACT one you are looking for without more clues.

But here is one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...y-records.html
Hi, mr. Hood. Thanks for the reply.

The Telegraph article kept showing up in my searches too but it's not the one I was looking for.

A fan posting here had a part of the quote in their signature a couple weeks ago, about how Sampras was impressed by Roger's personality. Can't remember the name of the poster.

Thanks all the same, I appreciate it.
Goncharov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute

federer now ties pete with an all important RG
crude oil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #28
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #29
country flag lina_seta

lina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond repute

its so nice to hear that pete has been sending roger msgs of encouragement!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #30
country flag SUKTUEN

Pete said Roger is the best player in history~~