Ball(Paradorn Srichaphan) : Year 2003 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-07-2003, 02:03 AM   #1
jirobkk

jirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Ball(Paradorn Srichaphan) : Year 2003

Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
Nickname : Ball (Thai people call him "Ball")

Birthdate : 14 June 1979
BirthPlace : Khonkaen, Thailand
Residence : Bangkok, Thailand
Height : 185 cm
Weight : 81 Kg
Player : Right-handed
Turn Pro : 1997
Coach : Chanachai Srichaphan(Father)
Current ATP Ranking : 11 (updated 14 July)
Current Entry System Points : 1835
Year to Date Champion race : 26
Current Championrace Points : 147
Shoes : Adidas - Barricade II
Racquet : Yonex - RD-Ti80
Clothes : Adidas

SINGLES CAREER TITLES : 3
2002--Long Island [W Chela, Juan Ignacio (ARG ) 5-7 6-2 6-2]
2002--Stockholm [W Rios, Marcelo (CHI ) 6-7(2) 6-0 6-3 6-2]
2003--Chennai [W Kucera, Karol (SVK ) 6-3 6-1]

FINALIST : 2
2002--Chennai [F Canas, Guillermo (ARG ) 4-6 6-7(2)]
2002--Washington [F Blake, James (USA ) 6-1 6-7(5) 4-6]
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

My favorite players are Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors
Congrats to (Ball)Paradorn, the 2002 Long Island Champion, 2002 Stockholm Champion, 2003 Chennai Champion, 2003 Long Island Champion, 2004 Nottingham Champion and many many more.......

Last edited by jirobkk : 08-09-2003 at 01:30 AM.
jirobkk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #2
jirobkk

jirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond reputejirobkk has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Ball wins 3 ATP 2002 Awards.

Big congrtas to Paradorn Srichaphan for winning 3 ATP Awards of the year 2002.

1. Most Improved Players Award
2. Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award
3. Player Award who won the first ATP title of the year

Ball, you made Thai people proud. Big congratulation !!!!

Keep it up, and don't stop to do it again this year.

From ATPtour.

2002 ATP Awards Presented by Waterford Crystal

Player of the Year - Lleyton Hewitt
Lleyton Hewitt won the ATP Champions Race for the second consecutive year to again claim the coveted year-end World No.1 ranking. Hewitt won five titles, including Wimbledon, the Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai and the Pacific Life Open, and reached two other Tennis Masters Series finals in Cincinnati and Paris.

Doubles Team of the Year - Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor
Knowles and Nestor reunited in 2002 for a tour de force, winning six titles and reaching 13 finals. In a sizzling start to the season, Knowles and Nestor won the Australian Open as well as Tennis Masters Series titles in Indian Wells and Miami. They also reached Grand Slam finals at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award - Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and Amir Hadad see article about this award at doubles team honored

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award & Most Improved Award - Paradorn Srichaphan
Thai shotmaker Paradorn Srichaphan made a huge impact on the ATP circuit during his breakthrough year in 2002, winning not only tournaments but also admiration of his peers. Srichaphan slashed his year-end ATP Entry Ranking from No. 126 to No. 16, claiming ATP titles in Long Island and Stockholm. Regarded as one of the most humble and fair players on the circuit, Srichaphan also won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award.

Newcomer of the Year - Paul-Henri Mathieu
Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu announced himself to the tennis world in 2002 when he won back-to-back titles in Moscow and Lyon. Mathieu, 21 last month, slashed his year-end ATP Entry Ranking from No. 147 to No. 36. He did not win a single match at ATP level in 2001, but recorded a 23-16 match record last season.

Comeback of the Year - Richard Krajicek
Former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek returned to the ATP circuit after missing 20 months following elbow surgery in March 2001. In his second tournament back, the Dutchman reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals, beating James Blake and Mark Philippoussis before losing to Xavier Malisse.

ATPtennis.com's Fans' Favorite Award - Marat Safin
Favorite in a poll of more than 28,000 visitors to the Official Web site of the ATP. Twenty-one percent of the visitors nominated Safin, who also won the 2001 award, as their favorite player. Andre Agassi (14%), Gustavo Kuerten (13%) and Srichaphan (12%) also polled highly.

Ron Bookman Award for Media Excellence - Pedro Hernandez
Pedro Hernandez, a 46-year-old Barcelona native, has been the Director of Tennis A Fondo magazine since its creation in 1999. He has been the ATP's Open Seat Godo Press Officer since 1993 and the Press Officer of the Spanish Davis Cup team since 1997. A founding member of the International Tennis Writers' Association, Hernandez was the commentator for Spain's first tennis radio show on SER in 1984 and 1985.

Tennis Masters Series Tournament of the Year - NASDAQ-100 Open (Miami)

International Series Gold Tournament of the Year - Generali Open Kitzbuhel

International Series Tournament of the Year - Telenordia Swedish Open (Bastad)
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Congrats to (Ball)Paradorn, the 2002 Long Island Champion, 2002 Stockholm Champion, 2003 Chennai Champion, 2003 Long Island Champion, 2004 Nottingham Champion and many many more.......
Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #3
jirobkk

Arrow

Wimbledon 2003 : First round

Paradorn Srichaphan defeated Dominik Hrbaty 6-3,6-4,4-6,3-6,6-3

Well done Ball, please keep it up.

Good luck against Olivier Mutis FRA in second round.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 AM   #4
jirobkk

Arrow

Wimbledon 2003 : second round

Paradorn Srichaphan d. Oliver Mutis(FRA) 4-6,1-6,7-6(4),7-5,7-5.

OMG, I don't believe that he won. Ball was down 0-2 set but leads 5*-3 in 3rd set. Mutis fought back to 5-5 then play was suspended by rain at 5-5*, 15-30 on Mutis's service game. Ball won 3rd set tie break. Ball saved 2 MP when Mutis served for the match at 5*-4 in the 4th set. Again at 5*-5 in 5th set , he was down 0-40 and he saved 3 BP. Finally he won.

What's agreat match for both players.

Well done Ball. Good luck against Nadal.
Better luck next time Mutis. You played so well, I'm impressed you a lot.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 AM   #5
jirobkk

Arrow

Wimbledon 2003 : third round

Paradorn Srichaphan d. Rafael Nadal(ESP) 6-4,6-4,6-2

Better luck next time Rafa.

Congrats Ball and good luck against Andy on Monday.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:07 AM   #6
jirobkk

Arrow

Wimbledon 2003 : 4th round

Andy Roddick d. Paradorn Srichaphan 6-4,3-6,6-3,6-2

Congrats Ball for reaching Wimby 4th round for the first time. You have so many chances (had 4 BP) to take a lead 3-1 in 3rd set but you could not convert it. I think the match would go either way you you won that game.

Anyway better luck next time Ball. We are proud of you.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:07 AM   #7
jirobkk

Arrow

After he was defeated by Andy Roddick in the 4th round of Wimby 2003. Ball and his family just came back home today(3 Jul) early morning and I went to welcome back them at the air-port. There are a lot of crowd and media (TV and newspaper) there.

Here are some pics that I've taken.
Have fun.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM   #8
jirobkk

Arrow

From Bangkok Post (4 July, 2003)

THAI STAR :Paradorn back home
Tor Chittinand

World number 11 Paradorn Srichaphan returned to Bangkok yesterday saying his father will continue to be his coach and that he sees no reason to make any changes.

Paradorn received a warm welcome from several hundred fans at Don Muang international airport following his fourth round exit to Any Roddick at Wimbledon on Monday.

The Thai star said he was quite pleased with his Wimbledon performance as he had progressed further than last year.

Last year, he was ranked 67 when he beat Andre Agassi in the second round at Wimbledon before losing to Richard Krajicek in the third round.

He rejected suggestions that he might change his coach, father Chanachai.

``I don't see any reason to make changes. I want to carry on with the father-son team. I cannot separate myself from my dad who has brought me up to the top 10. It has been a successful formula,'' he said.

Paradorn is planning to have a fortnight's rest in Thailand before heading off to the US where he will take part in six tournaments before the US Open.

He said he was looking forward to playing on the hard courts in America.

``I am used to the hard courts and I think I can move up in the rankings,'' he said. Paradorn said he would like to reach the fourth round of the US Open.

According to an opinion poll released Tuesday, Paradorn is the most popular sportsman in Thailand with an overwhelming 89.4 percent of 1,485 respondents voting in his favour.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 AM   #9
jirobkk

Arrow

Indianapolis 2003 (21-27 July)

First round- Bye
Second round : Amer Delic(USA) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1

Second Seed Srichaphan Survives Collegiate Challenger
by Bill Scott

Second seed Paradorn Srichaphan saved two match points as he put down a challenge from NCAA champion
Amer Delic at the RCA Championships Wednesday night.

The top Thai finally carved out a 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 result as he found himself in trouble in the 12th game of the second set after losing the first in another decider.

But his nervous 20-year-old opponent, a former Bosnian refugee, couldn't quite get to the finish line, with the Asian Ace firing down an ace and a volley winner to bring on a tie-breaker which he won to take it into a third set.

Once he found room to breathe, Paradorn put his game into gear, rolling to 5-0 before Delic, who has yet to decide if he'll turn professional or finish his final year of studies, could react.

It ended afer one hour, 50 minutes, with the Thai happy to be done.

"This is a match that I needed to win," said Paradorn, 11th in the world who won the first of three career titles last August at Long Island. "I only knew that he had a big serve.

"He served well but I managed to find my own form. I'm happy to be back on hard-courts. They are my favourite surface, I expect to do well.

Paradorn claimed the contest on his 15th ace. "I'm happy I have the chance to come back tomorrow and do it right" (against another American, Alex Bogomolov).
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 AM   #10
jirobkk

Arrow

Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:11 AM   #11
jirobkk

Arrow

Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:11 AM   #12
jirobkk

Arrow

Indianapolis 2003 : Single 3rd round

First round- Bye
2R : (2)Paradorn Srichaphan(THA) d. Amer Delic(USA) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
3R : (2)Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) d. Alex Bogomolov (USA) 6-4, 6-3

Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:12 AM   #13
jirobkk

Arrow

Ball will be playing Scott Draper (AUS) in QF tomorrow.
------------------

Srichaphan Comfortable With His Game and Fame
by Bill Scott

Paradorn Srichaphan has hit his stride this week on the hardcourts, reaching the quarterfinals of the RCA
Championships.

But Paradorn, a sporting idol in his native Thailand, is facing a tough job as the summer season begins. He won his first title 11 months ago at Long Island the week prior to the U.S. Open.

Now with points to defend over the next few weeks from 2002, he will need all of his powers of concentration to
maintain his current world No. 11 position.

The Asian Ace was not totally satisfied with his showing against Bogomolov, a Moscow-born Russian-American ranked a lowly 125th. The second seed from Bangkok still won 6-4, 6-3.

With the weight of a nation on his shoulders this summer, Paradorn is hoping to keep deflecting pressure from himself as he goes about his business on court.

"I felt a little more comfortable, but I think I hit the ball better Wednesday," said the Indianapolis first-timer after his move into the tournament last eight. "I was a bit tired after finishing late last night.

"I've hit a lot of balls. But have confidence on court - I don't fear anyone."

With the Thai public following his every match on television no matter what the hour of day or night, life has changed for the 24-year-old with three career titles and a reputation as one of the nice guys of the game.

"Every time I come back to Thailand - where he spent around three months in 2002 - people are waiting at the airport. All of the televisions and newspapers are there. It's the same when I leave.

"I don't mind being a celebrity," said a player who met the king last year at a national reception and who holds a diplomatic passport presented to him for service to the nation.

"I'm just trying to do my job. The people are happy that I'm playing well. But I don't let the pressure get to me.'

The soft-spoken Buddhist, who bows to all four corners of the court after each match, says that his goal this season is the Top 20 - a position he's well surpassed.

"I try to keep my goals modest, I don't want too many expectations, then I can beat them."

Paradorn is responsible for the current we've of interest in Thailand for his sport. "If you had asked people three years ago 'What is tennis?' they probably wouldn't have known.

"Now they say, 'I know it, I know Paradorn - even taxi drivers."
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:12 AM   #14
jirobkk

Arrow

From atpwebsite:
RCA CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIANAPOLIS July 24, 2003

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Srichaphan: "It was my first match in the daytime, so I got used to sun. I'm a little bit tired after last night. I go on court and it doesn't matter if I win or lose, as long as I'm having fun."

Goals for this year
"Stay in Top 20, Top 10 if I can. I'm trying not to put pressure on myself, otherwise I'll be tight. If the press back home ask me, 'What is your goal for the end of the year,' and I say, 'Top 10' and I can't make it, and they go, 'I thought you said Top 10?' I always keep my goals not too high. Last year when my ranking was 75, I was just thinking that I'd break the Top 50. At the end of the year, I was Top 20."

On his popularity back home
"Everybody back home is happy for me to do well and they are following all of my results. Most of my matches last year and the beginning of this year, they show them live to Thailand, so people get to see it."

"Every time I arrive at the airport, all the people are waiting there and the TV cameras. Two or three years ago, if you went out on the street and asked people about tennis, they wouldn't know what it was. If you go now, they know 'Paradorn,' even taxi drivers."

"There's been a lot of talk back home, especially on changing my coach. But I don't plan on changing my coach. He got me to break the Top 10. Traveling with my Dad and coach, we have a good time together. My brother, Thanakorn, might take over next year and we may start traveling together.

"I haven't been to a Thai restaurant yet, (here in the US) but I'm looking forward to going to [Washington] D.C. My friends own nine Thai restaurants in D.C. so they bring me food every day."
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage

Old 08-07-2003, 02:13 AM   #15
jirobkk

Arrow

Indianapolis 2003 : QF

First round- Bye
2R : (2)Paradorn Srichaphan(THA) d. Amer Delic(USA) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
3R : (2)Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) d. Alex Bogomolov (USA) 6-4, 6-3
QF : (2)Paradorn d. Draper 6-4,6-2

From atptennis website:

Paradorn Srichaphan improved to 17-7 on hard court this year with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Australian left-hander Scott Draper. The Thai is playing his first tournament since reaching the Wimbledon fourth round. He has won six of his past seven matches after a season of mixed success, which has returned a 25-16 match record.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Srichaphan: "It gave me a lot of confidence going into the semifinals. I've played him two times before and it's always been a tough match. I was glad to pull it out in two sets today."

(On Thomann): "He's a good player, I've played him two times before in qualifying. Once in Atlanta on clay, he beat me and then he beat Agassi. The other time was in Miami and I beat him."

SEMIFINALS PREVIEW:

Top seed Andy Roddick is gunning for his eighth career ATP title this weekend, and his sixth title on home soil. The Wimbledon semifinalist has claimed two titles this year (St. Poelten and Queen's) and appeared in the Houston and Memphis finals. Roddick, who also reached the Australian Open semifinals in January, has won 18 of his past 20 matches. The American has been working with coach Brad Gilbert since Queen's in June.

Roddick's semifinal opponent Sjeng Schalken is also enjoying a hot streak, winning 12 of his past 13 matches dating back to his title in 's-Hertogenbosch. Schalken has won one title each year for eight of the past nine years (missing in 1998) but has never won multiple titles in the same season. The Dutchman's lone North American title came in Boston in 1997.

Second seed Paradorn Srichaphan led the ATP circuit with 40 hard court wins in 2002, winning titles in Long Island and Stockholm and reaching finals in Chennai and Washington. This year the Thai became the first Asian player in history to break into the Top 10 in the ATP Entry Rankings en route to a career-high ranking of No. 9 in May. Srichaphan began the season by winning his third career title (all on hard) in Chennai and later reached the semifinals of the NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami. He endured a lean 2-6 record during the clay season but ran back into form at Wimbledon, where he reached the fourth round (l. to Roddick). Thomann was 0-1 at ATP level (losing in the first round of Newport two weeks ago) and 11-16 at Challenger level this year before this week. He had not passed the second round of the past Challenger tournaments he played; last week he lost in the first round of the Aptos Challenger.
Jiro's Facebook
Jiro's Multiply Homepage