New Orleans - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Orleans

today 2 main leeves broke down and now 80% of the city is under water. some up to 20-25feet.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
country flag Jennay

Jennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Orleans

I just had to shut off the news, it's too upsetting.
Jennay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

i find this really upsetting

Quote:
Even a cop joins in the looting

Mike Perlstein and Brian Thevenot
Staff writers

Law enforcement efforts to contain the emergency left by Katrina slipped into chaos in parts of New Orleans Tuesday with some police officers and firefighters joining looters in picking stores clean.

At the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, an initial effort to hand out provisions to stranded citizens quickly disintegrated into mass looting. Authorities at the scene said bedlam erupted after the giveaway was announced over the radio.

While many people carried out food and essential supplies, others cleared out jewelry racks and carted out computers, TVs and appliances on handtrucks.

Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television.

Officers claimed there was nothing they could do to contain the anarchy, saying their radio communications have broken down and they had no direction from commanders.

“We don’t have enough cops to stop it,” an officer said. “A mass riot would break out if you tried.”

Inside the store, the scene alternated between celebration and frightening bedlam. A shirtless man straddled a broken jewelry case, yelling, “Free samples, free samples over here.”

Another man rolled a mechanized pallet, stacked six feet high with cases of vodka and whiskey. Perched atop the stack was a bewildered toddler.

Throughout the store and parking lot, looters pushed carts and loaded trucks and vans alongside officers. One man said police directed him to Wal-Mart from Robert’s Grocery, where a similar scene was taking place. A crowd in the electronics section said one officer broke the glass DVD case so people wouldn’t cut themselves.

“The police got all the best stuff. They’re crookeder than us,” one man said.

Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the tide of law breakers.

One veteran officer said, “It’s like this everywhere in the city. This tiny number of cops can’t do anything about this. It’s wide open.”

At least one officer tried futilely to control a looter through shame.

“When they say take what you need, that doesn’t mean an f-ing TV,” the officer shouted to a looter. “This is a hurricane, not a free-for-all.”

Sandra Smith of Baton Rouge walked through the parking lot with a 12-pack of Bud Light under each arm. “I came down here to get my daughters,” she said, “but I can’t find them.”

The scene turned so chaotic at times that entrances were blocked by the press of people and shopping carts and traffic jams sprouted on surrounding streets.

Some groups organized themselves into assembly lines to more efficiently cart off goods.

Toni Williams, 25, packed her trunk with essential supplies, such as food and water, but said mass looting disgusted and frightened her.

“I didn’t feel safe. Some people are going overboard,” she said.

Inside the store, one woman was stocking up on make-up. She said she took comfort in watching police load up their own carts.

“It must be legal,” she said. “The police are here taking stuff, too.”
Old 08-30-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
country flag Haute

Haute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they get fired.

Although what's really sickening is that there have been gas stations (ones that are still open anyway) that have been price gouging people all across the areas that have been hit by the hurricane.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Apollo
I hope they get fired.

Although what's really sickening is that there have been gas stations (ones that are still open anyway) that have been price gouging people all across the areas that have been hit by the hurricane.
Gas is $2.30 in St.Louis, but should go up .20 by Friday
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
country flag Haute

Haute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond repute

CNN was reporting that gas could reach $3.00/gallon by the end of the week, but they were saying too that individual gas stations was already charging way more than that, and not because the company was telling them to.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Rducky, when posting an article, could you provide a link to the source too?

Anyway, the situation in The Big Easy must be horrible. Hopefully the death toll will not be too high.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
Hey, Rducky, when posting an article, could you provide a link to the source too?
http://www.nola.com/ its best website for live updates..the people running the website..is a newspaper NO and they have been in there building in downtown the whole time.

Last edited by El Legenda : 08-31-2005 at 12:21 AM.
El Legenda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too late to give New Orleans back to the French?

C'mon, Lleyton!

Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 AM   #10
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the French corrupt New Orleans though. And NOPD is quite famous for its corruption.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:19 AM   #11
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

the city is fucked...its like a bowl..when the water does in and only way to get it out is pumps..which are broken....also being under sea-level is not helping.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin lives in New Orleans. Here's his update:

Quote:
We escaped Sunday morning about 9:30am... we made it to MS pretty quickly using US90, but once we got on I-10, we hit the parking lot at Gulfport,. We went up through rural Alabama and then made our way over to Tallahassee where we stayed for two nights. We are in Orlando with Jill's sister, brother-in-law, nephew and son. We want to go back ASAP on one hand, but are resigned to stay away for several weeks or a month(s???). We are not thrilled about the prospect of being in NOLA without electricity, food or services, and are a bit concerned about looters. Thanks to all who have offered a place to stay, we may take you up on it because we can't expect anyone to keep us for very long....

As you can see from the news, our town is basically f!@#$%cked.
Geographically, it is a bowl, and levees were breached downtown (doesn't affect our house) and out by the lake near Bucktown but on the New Orleans side of the 17th st canal. (one the map that is the one dividing NOLA from Jeff Parish). We live near the river, which is on top/'side' of the bowl, fortunately above sea-level. We hope that saves our home from flooding, as the scenario seems to be that the water should stop coming in once it levels out at sea-level, if they can't repair the levee before that.

We are obviously a million times better off than 80% of the town which experienced flooding, some massive, and in many parts of town, very poor and crime-ridden. Please keep all of us in your prayers.

Just a quick update on the Irish Channel, at least the 2300 block of Constance (between Philip & Constance). Our tenant Saul stayed in town, attempting to ride it out in a hi-rise near us at St Charles & Jackson. He eventually was evacuated to the Hilton, and is fine. He walked by today, no signs of flooding, minor wind damage, no signs of major damage to or looting of any of the homes.
I'm at the scenes on the news of the looting. It's disgraceful.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

New Orleans was such a fucking mess prior to this, the last thing they needed is some massive hurricane.

Fun place to visit, horrible place to live.
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 PM   #14
country flag the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond reputethe cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hurricane Katrina flooding New Orleans is a tragic and heart breaking story. And it makes something like tennis seem insignificant.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
country flag Haute

As may as 1,000 people may have died now.