The US Open is my favourite Slam but... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
country flag Paul Banks

Paul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The US Open is my favourite Slam but...

I love the atmosphere, the night matches, New York.

But there are 2 things that ruin the tournament for me:

1) The lame Super Saturday day for CBS. Players need a rest before the final, it's the most important match of the tournament.

2) The ceremony. I don't care how much money players will make. It's supposed to be about the prestige of winning a Slam.

So what do you and about the US Open.
Paul Banks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The US Open is my favourite Slam but...

What I like:
My coverage on Sky - it's a smorgasbord, even if it means suffering through two straight weeks of Bails and Barry Cowan's expert analysis.
Night matches, although it's fair to say that there are just as many one-sided beatdowns even on the men's side as there are classic encounters.
The crowds (at times) - although they're certainly not the most informed fans, I like the fact that the US Open crowd will get into a match when it becomes a real battle, no matter how obscure the players are. The last two sets of Ferrero v Zib last year were brilliant in this regard (not that Ferrero is obscure, I hasten to add, but there were as many people rooting for his opponent as for him).

What I dislike:
The rain. Yes, so that's hypocritical coming from me when I live in Britain, but in recent years the US Open has become worse than Wimbledon for its weather conditions. Incompetent drying operations, as happened two years ago when courts were dried at different times and valuable time was lost.
As you say, Super Saturday: an example of misplaced priorities. Any tournament that places TV ratings over the players' health has to be regarded dubiously.
The absurd hyperbole that precedes every night session. We don't need singing progidies, gospel choirs, Alec Baldwin and marines parading the Stars and Stripes around Arthur Ashe to let people know that they're about to watch a tennis match.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
country flag federer express

federer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond repute

what i dislike...

the almost always disinterested crowds. but give me them over the french crowd any day!
federer express is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the night matches. So great. I remember even as a little kid watching them on TV with my parents. Wonderful.

I don't really hate anything about it.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
country flag Paul Banks

Paul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond reputePaul Banks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
what i dislike...

the almost always disinterested crowds.
This isn't true. Well, Ashe is often empty during the day session but I wouldn't say the crowd is "almost always disinterested".
Paul Banks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #6

federer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond reputefederer express has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Banks
This isn't true. Well, Ashe is often empty during the day session but I wouldn't say the crowd is "almost always disinterested".
they wake up for the night session. but how much of that is beer-induced? (oes it really matter though?)
Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
country flag BigboyDan

BigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond reputeBigboyDan has a reputation beyond repute

The Labor Day Jerry Lewis Telethon is on the CBS affiliate where I live and completely wipes-out all of that day's coverage.

The USTA's habit of putting blow-out matches on the Ashe and Louis courts because one of the players is a marquee name.

The saccharine jingoistic pro-USA patriotic crap from the announcers - there is, what, three seeded US players in the men's draw?
BigboyDan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #8

but to be honest i love all the slams. i love all good tennis i guess...
Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

The first weeks of Slams are the best four weeks of tennis you'll find anywhere in the whole year. I always feel disappointed when the number of players in the draw is gradually whittled down to the usual suspects.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
country flag 1sun

1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute1sun has a reputation beyond repute

i hate the final set tiebreak rule
Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #11
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sun
ditto and I hate the moronic tournament organizers that agreed to the travesty of tennis called Super Saturday.

I like everything else.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 AM   #12
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #13
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigboyDan
The USTA's habit of putting blow-out matches on the Ashe and Louis courts because one of the players is a marquee name.
Yes, they never do this at the other Slams.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:47 AM   #14
country flag Pheobo

Pheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond reputePheobo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Same here.
Pheobo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #15
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
what i dislike...

the almost always disinterested crowds. but give me them over the french crowd any day!
As many people i prefer them actually! Temperamental, passionate, over the top, can have a "love story" with a foreign player over the years going on, when there's no good tennis they show they're bored, when there is they're immediately very noisy etc... Luv' it!

Other than that i don't like the final set tie-break rule either...
The time difference, the bad coverage wher i am but that's not because of the organisators i know...
I love the crowd, it's my second favorite tied with the Australian crowd who's so "fair-play" usually...
The fact that there's no day for rest for the players before the final is not good too.
Night-sessions are great.
The fact that the first rounds are spread over three days sucks...
But it's a great Slam!

Last edited by delsa : 08-25-2005 at 05:40 AM.
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote